The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Deathclaw and I haven't been on the forum in a couple years so we figured we'd stop by and see how everyone was doing . Deathclaw (NFC) has gotten ridiculously large in the last couple years! I think he's done growing. He weighs 28lbs and is very healthy. I do wish there was a way to prevent matting though!
As my dad would say, "Now THAT is a CAT." Wow! Mainey? Or Wegie? The Furminator is useful at preventing matts...my Mainey man, Sammi, came to me with one. The drawback is CLOUDS of fur when you groom.
IMG_1807.JPG

WillowLea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Deathclaw is Wegie. I've never heard of furminator... I'll gave to look into it! Is that Sammi in the pic? He looks pretty huge as well lol
As my dad would say, "Now THAT is a CAT." Wow! Mainey? Or Wegie? The Furminator is useful at preventing matts...my Mainey man, Sammi, came to me with one. The drawback is CLOUDS of fur when you groom.View attachment 445141

WillowLea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a magnificent cat! :redheartpump: How old is he?

I have a Siberian with cotton fur that gets frequent mats. I have to comb it out every day and sometimes have to take the scissors to it!
He will be 5 August 7th. Deathclaw gets really mad when we try to get the mats out. clippers are out if the question and im afraid to use scissors. He enjoys being brushed but he still ends up with mats around his neck and underarm area. I thought about having his vet groom him but they want to use sedatives and I'm not sure that's a great idea.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Deathclaw is stunning!

:loveeyes:

Forest Cat, in my banner below, hates being groomed too. We used to take him to the vet for an annual lion cut, but they have to sedate him for that and he's getting a bit old for it.

One thing I have found that cuts down on the matts is a monthly bath during the warmer months. It gets rid of the dust and grease from his fur so the matts don't form as easily. Also when his fur is wet the matts hang down away from his body so it's much easier to trim the worst ones off.

That's if Deathclaw will tolerate a bath though. Forest Cat is much smaller and very chilled out.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deathclaw is Wegie. I've never heard of furminator... I'll gave to look into it! Is that Sammi in the pic? He looks pretty huge as well lol
THANK YOU for not letting a groomer groom Deathclaw! I would never let any cat be groomed by anyone other than myself.
A good quality slicker brush, and a dematting comb, also come in handy. The thing with Furminator is that it is sharp; it's kind of like the clippers we use to get buzzcuts, if you're familiar with them (Wahl is the premier clippers mfr.). You have to use it frequently on a cat as floofy as Deathclaw, but once you get the matts out, daily slicker brushing and use of the comb when necessary should keep him comfortable, with less frequent Furmination.
Yes, our beloved Sammi was a large mancatto, though not as big as Deathclaw. I didn't weigh him, but he was probably less than 20# at top weight. I adopted him at 14 and he left us at 21. He was healthy up to the time he left us, very suddenly.
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
It took years until my cat Leo was comfortable with having mats removed. Before then I had to calm him and quickly but carefully use a pair of bandage scissors to get the snag out. Earlier, if I hit a snag he would sometimes swat at the comb, often hitting my hand. Now he puts up with a certain amount of pulling on the comb. He will be 8 in May and it's just been the last few years that he has held still for grooming. Maybe there's still hope for Deathclaw. :p

Here's Leo's pic. He is only a 15 pounder, though he is the king of all cats everywhere. He thinks. ;)
IMG_20211229_224048987 2.jpg

Here is Boris, my first Siberian. He did not get mats like Leo! He was one laid back cat. And my soul mate.
032.JPG

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took years until my cat Leo was comfortable with having mats removed. Before then I had to calm him and quickly but carefully use a pair of bandage scissors to get the snag out. Earlier, if I hit a snag he would sometimes swat at the comb, often hitting my hand. Now he puts up with it a certain amount of pulling on the comb. He will be 8 in May and it's just been the last few years that he has held still for grooming. Maybe there's still hope for Deathclaw. :p

Here's Leo's pic. He is only a 15 pounder, though he is the king of all cats everywhere. He thinks.
View attachment 445155

Here is Boris, my first Siberian. He did not get mats like Leo! He was one laid back cat. And my soul mate.
View attachment 445157
Leo is so aptly named -- he's Lionificent!
And Boris? SO handsome :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

WillowLea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU for not letting a groomer groom Deathclaw! I would never let any cat be groomed by anyone other than myself.

[/URL]

A good quality slicker brush, and a dematting comb, also come in handy. The thing with Furminator is that it is sharp; it's kind of like the clippers we use to get buzzcuts, if you're familiar with them (Wahl is the premier clippers mfr.). You have to use it frequently on a cat as floofy as Deathclaw, but once you get the matts out, daily slicker brushing and use of the comb when necessary should keep him comfortable, with less frequent Furmination.

Yes, our beloved Sammi was a large mancatto, though not as big as Deathclaw. I didn't weigh him, but he was probably less than 20# at top weight. I adopted him at 14 and he left us at 21. He was healthy up to the time he left us, very suddenly.

Sammi was gorgeous! I love big sturdy cuddly cats! We tried clippers on Deathclaw twice. He was furious! He's kind of OK with a bath but when he's done he means it lol. I'll probably have to start giving him a quick brushing daily. He actually enjoys being brushed when he doesn't have matts being tugged on

WillowLea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It took years until my cat Leo was comfortable with having mats removed. Before then I had to calm him and quickly but carefully use a pair of bandage scissors to get the snag out. Earlier, if I hit a snag he would sometimes swat at the comb, often hitting my hand. Now he puts up with a certain amount of pulling on the comb. He will be 8 in May and it's just been the last few years that he has held still for grooming. Maybe there's still hope for Deathclaw. 

Here's Leo's pic. He is only a 15 pounder, though he is the king of all cats everywhere. He thinks.

They're both gorgeous! But I absolutely love Boris!!😍 his name is awesome too 🤣 he looks like a Boris

WillowLea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Deathclaw is stunning!

Forest Cat, in my banner below, hates being groomed too. We used to take him to the vet for an annual lion cut, but they have to sedate him for that and he's getting a bit old for it.

One thing I have found that cuts down on the matts is a monthly bath during the warmer months. It gets rid of the dust and grease from his fur so the matts don't form as easily. Also when his fur is wet the matts hang down away from his body so it's much easier to trim the worst ones off.

That's if Deathclaw will tolerate a bath though. Forest Cat is much smaller and very chilled out.
I love the lion cut look. It's so cute! I think Deathclaw would allow clippers if they didn't make noise. I'm might go on a hunt for the world's quietest clippers lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammi was gorgeous! I love big sturdy cuddly cats! We tried clippers on Deathclaw twice. He was furious! He's kind of OK with a bath but when he's done he means it lol. I'll probably have to start giving him a quick brushing daily. He actually enjoys being brushed when he doesn't have matts being tugged on
Thank you. I'd never seen a cat with that coloration when I opened his carrier. I thought to myself, "A GOLDEN cat!" When I looked his coloration up, I found that "brown patched tabby" is quite a common CATegory of Mainey.