The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually we DO buy our cat food buy the car load.

Here are pics of the last purchase!

The boys like paw licken chicken and it hardly ever goes on sale so when it does, we stock up.

$800.00 worth! But i saved $200 .00, so it was worth it.

View attachment 286408

Its been about 2 years since I posted pics of Greg and Arnold here. They are now about 6 and a half years old and finished growing.

Arnold is about 23/24 lbs, though i would like him to loose a couple pounds, ( he isnt interested in doing so).

Greg is about 20/21 pounds and is a good weight for his build. He looks like a rectangular cement block with legs. And we love them both.

View attachment 286406
They are so awesome. Fluffy, handsome, magical! I think they deserve their own children’s book series. :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just the thread for me and I’ve really enjoyed scrolling though the pictures and seeing everyone’s big fur kids.

My guy is a Savannah Cat and his name is Gideon. He’s not all that heavy, maybe 25 pounds at the most, but he’s very long and lanky. People either have two reactions to him, they’re frightened of him or they think he’s beautiful. I of course, am a member of the second category.

View attachment 265292
I AM a bit frightened of him, AND I think he is beautiful. If he was running towards me, I would be a bit apprehensive.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just the thread for me and I’ve really enjoyed scrolling though the pictures and seeing everyone’s big fur kids.

My guy is a Savannah Cat and his name is Gideon. He’s not all that heavy, maybe 25 pounds at the most, but he’s very long and lanky. People either have two reactions to him, they’re frightened of him or they think he’s beautiful. I of course, am a member of the second category.

View attachment 265292
What number in the "F" succession is he? He's absolutely regal!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
For everyone, of course - but especially for @auntie sabian sabian @mightyboosh and Boris Diamond Boris Diamond -

Farmer captures amazing photos of Siberian cats | Daily Mail Online

Edit: Phil - "У вас есть паспорт, товарищ?"
I just found this thread and I have this big red fluffy cat that I got from Petsmart at the age of 12. It had a tag saying it was a Maine Coon mix but after looking at all those red cats in Siberia I saw one that looks exactly like mine. So after so many people saying that he looks like pure bred Maine Coon I am now more inclined to say that he is a Siberian as one friend had told me that he looked like.
111516 017 (800x600).jpg
111716 012 (800x600).jpg

this is what he looked like when I got him, he now has more fur and his ruff is much bigger, no tufts at the ends of his ears but luxurious ear furnishings. He was 12 years old and weighed 11 lbs, now he weighs 15 lbs and his fur is soft and never mats.
IMG_0953.JPG

the only stripes he has are on his face and they are very faint
IMG_0680.JPG

the color of his fur is a mixture of various shades of red
Anybody want to guess just what he is besides a huge bundle of affectionate fluffiness?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread and I have this big red fluffy cat that I got from Petsmart at the age of 12. It had a tag saying it was a Maine Coon mix but after looking at all those red cats in Siberia I saw one that looks exactly like mine. So after so many people saying that he looks like pure bred Maine Coon I am now more inclined to say that he is a Siberian as one friend had told me that he looked like.View attachment 293901 View attachment 293902
this is what he looked like when I got him, he now has more fur and his ruff is much bigger, no tufts at the ends of his ears but luxurious ear furnishings. He was 12 years old and weighed 11 lbs, now he weighs 15 lbs and his fur is soft and never mats. View attachment 293903
the only stripes he has are on his face and they are very faintView attachment 293905
Anybody want to guess just what he is besides a huge bundle of affectionate fluffiness?
He is a beauty! What's his name? I have a Siberian and he looks similar to your cat, in confirmation and in color, too. I have a new computer so I don't have a good picture of him on it yet. But here is one I posted recently. He is a little over three years old, so not fully grown like you cat.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread and I have this big red fluffy cat that I got from Petsmart at the age of 12. It had a tag saying it was a Maine Coon mix but after looking at all those red cats in Siberia I saw one that looks exactly like mine. So after so many people saying that he looks like pure bred Maine Coon I am now more inclined to say that he is a Siberian as one friend had told me that he looked like.View attachment 293901 View attachment 293902
this is what he looked like when I got him, he now has more fur and his ruff is much bigger, no tufts at the ends of his ears but luxurious ear furnishings. He was 12 years old and weighed 11 lbs, now he weighs 15 lbs and his fur is soft and never mats. View attachment 293903
the only stripes he has are on his face and they are very faintView attachment 293905
It's really hard to tell. His muzzle screams MC but his ears and body seem to look more Siberian. You could always try a DNA test and see what's comes up. If you told me he was a purebred MC or Siberian I wouldn't doubt you. He definitely has some big breed genes there though. My Manny is a rescue. Many on the sight thought he looked Siberian. According to basepaws initial findings his top match was Ragdoll and then MC. In the update it had switched to NFC as top match. Siberian has been in the list both time but, down around #6. Big breeds are always his top matches though. He weighs in right at 20lbs. Definitely has some big breed genes in him.

IMG_4785.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d say he is full blooded and all red heart kitty! Luxurious!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has really short legs too in comparison, sort of like a Persian, his fur is so long that it almost brushes the floor when he walks and when he flops on the floor he does not tuck his legs under him but they stick out to the side and behind him, none of my other cats do that. He has huge pantaloons, thank goodness he is a really clean cat so there is no poop on his rear end ever. My Persian used to have her rear end clipped or it would be nasty. He carries his tail upright, really perky all the time, so cute. He does have a break in his nose, I understand that Siberians have a "Roman" nose with no break, true?
111516 020.JPG
that's a definite break on his nose
IMG_0161.JPG
is this a living room lion or what? You can barely see the stripes on his face
IMG_1034.JPG

on this last pic I played with his fur and made it stick up like a dinosaur's ridge, he was not amused. You can see how he sticks out his rear legs instead of tucking them under

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@BorisDiamond his name is Chamouti which is the Arabic name for a certain kind of orange tree growing in the Middle East, a Jordanian friend turned me on to that name, not that I call him "orange", but he is definitely red. All my cats get unusual names, he came with the name of "Jackson" and that is just too boring for such a gorgeous cat and he certainly knows his new name. He has been with me since November of 2016.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
he's gorgeous but I don't think he's siberian. I think he looks more maine coon than siberian. tibby is a purebred siberian and this is what his face looks like. although my maine coon is lanky. all the maine coons i've ever known have been lanky cats. so I would think mix is right.
Standard-comparison-NFO-MCO-SIB.jpg
Standard-comparison-NFO-MCO-SIB.jpg

181223_10200571203736776_1789447217_n.jpg

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that chart really helps and I am trying to find time with all this moving and packing to really go into it, although the more I look the more he looks like a Siberian, I'll follow up with that later. He is certainly not "lanky", more compact like a Persian. His tail is kind of short and I think he might have an "upwards bump" in his back, not straight like most cats I know. I had been wondering if he was a Siberian/Traditional Persian mix, the kind that is considered "apple head", not the smooshed-in face of the modern kind. Right now I am too busy to really get into that and next week I will be off-line for several days due to the move.
At @tarasgirl6 at my age I will not adopt a kitten or even a cat that is under 10 years of age. Not only do those older cats have a hard time finding a new home but I don't want them to outlive me, where would they go? Sure, I will have the heartbreak of having one leave me or having to put it down, but I will have had the pleasure to have given them a good home while they were with me in their old age. Would that every human would have that instead of being put in a "home" until they die. We did not used to do that with our old people, they used to live with us until they passed away. Whatever happened? My oldest son said he would never put me into a "home", he would give me the wherewithall to put away myself if it came to that. In California there is the "right to die" as it is in several other states, it means assisted suicide when there is no hope of recovery and quality of life is miserable, or one can go to Mexico and every Veterinary Pharmacy will sell you meds that are used to send animals to the rainbow bridge and will work just as well on humans. Of course now I am going to live in Nevada where that law does not apply, at least not yet but it will come around sooner or later now that it has a Democrat as a Governor although the state is pretty red, just like it will in other states. Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont and I think Montana has it and another one or two that I can't recall right now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that chart really helps and I am trying to find time with all this moving and packing to really go into it, although the more I look the more he looks like a Siberian, I'll follow up with that later. He is certainly not "lanky", more compact like a Persian. His tail is kind of short and I think he might have an "upwards bump" in his back, not straight like most cats I know. I had been wondering if he was a Siberian/Traditional Persian mix, the kind that is considered "apple head", not the smooshed-in face of the modern kind. Right now I am too busy to really get into that and next week I will be off-line for several days due to the move.
At @tarasgirl6 at my age I will not adopt a kitten or even a cat that is under 10 years of age. Not only do those older cats have a hard time finding a new home but I don't want them to outlive me, where would they go? Sure, I will have the heartbreak of having one leave me or having to put it down, but I will have had the pleasure to have given them a good home while they were with me in their old age. Would that every human would have that instead of being put in a "home" until they die. We did not used to do that with our old people, they used to live with us until they passed away. Whatever happened? My oldest son said he would never put me into a "home", he would give me the wherewithall to put away myself if it came to that. In California there is the "right to die" as it is in several other states, it means assisted suicide when there is no hope of recovery and quality of life is miserable, or one can go to Mexico and every Veterinary Pharmacy will sell you meds that are used to send animals to the rainbow bridge and will work just as well on humans. Of course now I am going to live in Nevada where that law does not apply, at least not yet but it will come around sooner or later now that it has a Democrat as a Governor although the state is pretty red, just like it will in other states. Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont and I think Montana has it and another one or two that I can't recall right now.
Some shelters have Seniors For Seniors programs and I believe they re-admit those adopted under this program when the need arises. I strongly encourage anyone thinking about this to inquire at their local shelter/humane society/ACC. Most reputable rescues and sanctuaries have clauses stating they will take an adoptee back in such cases or in any case where the need presents.
Well, it's a very complex issue. There are many instances now where family members cannot properly care for elders who are infirm physically and/or mentally. Nothing in life is perfect, but there is a definite need for supportive options for people who are in these positions, I believe. A good thing is that there have never been so many options and there is more support than ever for those who are facing these life changes. I have quite a bit of experience with the subject. And while I believe each person must have his or her own rights to make these decisions if possible, I am not of the personal belief that we as a society should make ending life easy, in the case of anyone of any species, for any reason. Again, this is based on having quite a bit of experience in the subjects.

WillowLea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Deathclaw and I haven't been on the forum in a couple years so we figured we'd stop by and see how everyone was doing . Deathclaw (NFC) has gotten ridiculously large in the last couple years! I think he's done growing. He weighs 28lbs and is very healthy. I do wish there was a way to prevent matting though!
20230304_205412.jpg
IMG_20230304_220248_559.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Deathclaw and I haven't been on the forum in a couple years so we figured we'd stop by and see how everyone was doing . Deathclaw (NFC) has gotten ridiculously large in the last couple years! I think he's done growing. He weighs 28lbs and is very healthy. I do wish there was a way to prevent matting though!
What a magnificent cat! :redheartpump: How old is he?

I have a Siberian with cotton fur that gets frequent mats. I have to comb it out every day and sometimes have to take the scissors to it!