The 2019 Gardening Thread.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. They will grow back every year if I actually plant them. I have "rock" scaping in my front yard and we put large pavers in place so I have an easy spot to put potted flowers down. I haven't in the summer because the front gets the end of the day sun and it's just too hot for much. My roses do ok and my petunias planter is a bit sheltered but even there it can trap heat on the little porch we have. But in the fall I have level spots ready to go for 4 pots of mums.
That's pretty amazing! I always thought mums were annuals anywhere that got cold. Might have to try planting them next year and see if they come back the following year.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone still have flowers blooming? Here's a few recent pics.

Sedum: From about a week ago, at my favourite shade of pink. It's a deeper pink now.
IMG_9332.jpg

Sunflowers - they're starting to droop now, but I have 4 more smaller ones just about to open.
IMG_9330.jpg

Daylily - this was from Saturday. Still 2 more buds to open. Plus my Happy Returns has some buds which hopefully will open before the frost gets them.
IMG_9356.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have any flowers now, but at least I got all the grass cut in the enclosure so that cats can run around without getting tangled up in weeds.

I'm thinking of moving some of the hostas and maybe the ferns to better positions. When is the best time of year to move plants?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have coneflowers, phlox, pyromania, black-eyed Susans, zinnias, and Shasta daisies in bloom. In fact, there are new buds still forming on the coneflowers. The tomatoes, bachelor's buttons, clematis, and Stella d'oro are done with, however.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking of moving some of the hostas and maybe the ferns to better positions. When is the best time of year to move plants?
Spring or fall is good. But depending on how soon you get a hard frost and/or your ground freezes, it might be too late for this fall. Once transplanted, they need a few weeks to settle their roots in.

I still have coneflowers, phlox, pyromania, black-eyed Susans, zinnias, and Shasta daisies in bloom.
My coneflowers, black-eyed Susans and phlox are still blooming, but definitely winding down. Still waiting on my Montauk Daisy, which so far only has 1 bud.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks rubysmama rubysmama

:rock:

It's still really warm here. We don't usually get the first hard frost until November. Maybe I'll try moving a few small ones and see how they do. I'm not really in any rush to move them, I'll leave the bigger ones till spring.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colchicum autumnale are starting into bloom. They DO look like a crocus on steroids but are not related. Do make a good cut flower. Leaves will appear next spring.

Aconitum will start soon. Lespedeza, a shrub, is in flower.

We had two nights in the 30s Fahrenheit. Yesterday reached 90 degrees F. It is day length that triggers most autumn flowering.

And, BTW, if any young / late planted perennials frost heave do not try to mash them back into the ground. That only damages the roots. Keep a bucket of dry potting mix in the garage or basement. Pour some over the exposed roots to cover them up. Much better chance of survival.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, BTW, if any young / late planted perennials frost heave do not try to mash them back into the ground. That only damages the roots. Keep a bucket of dry potting mix in the garage or basement. Pour some over the exposed roots to cover them up. Much better chance of survival.
great tip :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
great tip :)
Ditto. :thumbsup:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone have fall flowers blooming?

I've always wanted to grow the flowering cabbages, but the one time I tried, bugs ate them long before they reached the flowering stage.

I do have Chinese Lantrens that come up every year. I have a love/hate relationship with them, as they are brutally invasive. Some years I pull them out in the spring, but then regret it come October. This year I let them grow in one small spot in the garden. They're nice to dry and put in a vase inside, however, they are poisonous, so I haven't been able to bring them in since I got Ruby.

IMG_9383.jpg
IMG_9386.jpg

The 4 smaller sunflowers I mentioned upthread, are blooming now.
IMG_9410.jpg

As well, my Rudbeckia and Echinacea are still going strong.

IMG_9398.jpg

Still waiting on the Montauk Daisy. Next week, maybe. :daisy:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have coneflowers blooming as well, plus the cosmos, sedums zinnias, and black-eyed Susans, but we are supposed to be getting a frost tonight, so that may not last much longer. Some of the cosmos are taller than I am-over 6 feet high.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but we are supposed to be getting a frost tonight
Hope your flowers survived the frost. We've had 3 or 4 nights with light frost, but it hasn't been cold enough to kill anything yet. And since I put down some grass seed last week, I'm hoping the killer frost holds off for at least a few more weeks.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any fall flowers this year. I haven't even gotten mums! :ohwell: It didn't bother me till the other day when I had unexpected company stop by. My flower planter out front is all dead and inside I hadn't done my usual fall decorating either. Now I'm regretting it. But it figures no one really saw my house last year when I really had it all done up. :rolleyes:

My Grandpa had a garden space he put Chinese Lanterns in. They really do bring a nice pop of color. The garden itself was so pretty. He had tall grasses in the back and everything just had a wild look about it. I will never forget them because Grandpa tried to scare me by tasting one of the berries. He was about 85 at the time and I was about 25...so I guess you are never too old to play tricks on your grandkids. :lol2:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I had one, one, planter with flowers in it that were actually doing quite well by the front door.

Woke up this morning to find the plants all ripped out, the planter tipped over and mud all over the front step.

I think I know who the culprits are.

:angrywoman:

Deer50.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some of the cosmos are taller than I am-over 6 feet high.
Just reread your post and this popped out this time. Did the Cosmos survive the frost? If so, any chance of a pic of them? :camera:

I will never forget them because Grandpa tried to scare me by tasting one of the berries. He was about 85 at the time and I was about 25...so I guess you are never too old to play tricks on your grandkids. :lol2:
LOL. If you're lucky enough to have good ones, grandfathers are the best! :heartshape:

I think I know who the culprits are.
Oh, no. Sorry about the flowers. But the culprits are so cute. :)