The 2019 Gardening Thread.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is everyone finished gardening? This thread had fallen to page 3. :eek2:

My day lilies are still sporadically blooming, but coming to an end. However, on Saturday I discovered one day lily with its first bloom of the summer! One of the ones I thought wasn't going to bloom. I bought it in 2018. It's called Final Touch and a Google search tells me it's a late bloomer. So right on schedule, I guess. ;)

Here's a pic:
IMG_9280.jpg

Plus one of my baby Brown Eyed Susans:
IMG_9265.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

And a baby purple coneflower:
IMG_9263.jpg

Not much left to bloom now.

My Sedums are starting to get just a hint of pink. How are yours coming N NY cat man ?

I've also got some sunflowers with growing buds. Oh, and a montauk daisy. :daisy:

Soon it will be time to buy pumpkins and fall mums.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are gradually turning more red, and the Ernest Markham clematis is now in full bloom, and I am giving away tomatoes by the bag full. Also, the 'pyromania' is still going strong; however much of the earlier bloomers are pretty much done so we have gradually been cleaning up for fall.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
All the flower photos are gorgeous!

My garden has been attacked by snails. Also by heat. We run the drip system every night but everything is suffering and nothing is producing, even the hot peppers. It's time to plant for fall anyway. We'll replace all the tomatoes and the scrawny peppers and those that haven't produced. Also, some of the herbs that didn't make it, like the catnip (boy! did I ever hear about that!).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama , here are the sedums. As you can see, they are just starting to turn
Mine looks similar.

And here is that Ernest Markham clematis
Really pretty.

And here is Michele's butterfly weed
Gorgeous. Love the colour.

My garden has been attacked by snails. Also by heat. We run the drip system every night but everything is suffering and nothing is producing, even the hot peppers.
Oh no.

It's time to plant for fall anyway. We'll replace all the tomatoes and the scrawny peppers and those that haven't produced.
Good luck with your fall planting. It must be nice to have a 2nd gardening season.

Also, some of the herbs that didn't make it, like the catnip (boy! did I ever hear about that!).
LOL.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry I have been MIA-been on vacation- my pumpkins are GONE...ate by the wood chuck :flail: The tomatoes in the tires are growing AWESOME but it's 2 months too late.

The tomatoes in containers are doing soso. I didn't get more then 5 or 7 each plant but I also had a late start this summer.

The flowers of bee balm have already gone by-we haven't had much rain in my home town-but there was a ton of rain where we were staying 150 miles away...grrr.

The petunias look worn out-time to cut them back, feed them some food and get another 2 months of color. My tunias last until Thanksgiving. They are pretty hardy. I was gone for almost 3 weeks. It was weird not havign a ton to take care of...I still have one yard of dirt to move-my ambition has taken a backseat.

Love all the pictures..next year will move some of the ground cover in the long strip garden to put tomatoes there and another 2 yards of 50/50 dirt as the tomatoes in the tire garde are nice green thick stems without me feeding them...this year was kind of a trial test...Or I will just dump a ton of dirt down in the tire garden and grow the maters down there after building a fence around...

I am ready for winter to be honest..I got lots of books and puzzles that need doing.:yess:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though the leaves are falling, we still have new buds forming on some plants
This is the phlox that we just got. They said at the growers that they had pruned off the first set of blooms, so these are the second set
IMG_1027.JPG
Also, the Delphinium are still putting out new blooms
IMG_1032.JPG
The black-eyed Susan is also still going strong.
IMG_1028.JPG
And we are getting new buds on the coneflowers as well.
IMG_1030.JPG
Michele's geraniums seem to be holding up quite well, also.
IMG_1034.JPG

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't been out in the garden much lately between the heat, baby sitting my grand daughter at her house and our cat show. I can say I have cucumbers coming out of my ears along with cherry tomatoes. Still working on renovation of the flower gardens. Maybe next year I will be able to post some pretty photos like you have.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The petunias look worn out-time to cut them back, feed them some food and get another 2 months of color. My tunias last until Thanksgiving. They are pretty hardy.
I've got some petunias that look pretty sick too. Maybe some fertilizer will perk them up.

Sorry I have been MIA-been on vacation
Hope you have a nice vacation.

I can say I have cucumbers coming out of my ears along with cherry tomatoes.
Yum and yum.

Still working on renovation of the flower gardens. Maybe next year I will be able to post some pretty photos like you have.
I'm already thinking of changes I want to make to my gardens.

With the start of school I haven't done much outside myself.
I'm always surprised when I hear about school starting before Labour Day.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching a program on TV recently about gardening in colonial times and saw an idea for next year. They had built a horizontal gridwork about a foot or so above the ground. As the tomato plants grew , they went through the grid and spread out so that the tomatoes were suspended above the ground where the slugs couldn't get at them, and air could circulate beneath the vines. I'll have to try that. If I can remember that far.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 4 metal fence posts driven into the ground about 18 inches apart with a post driver and a 16 foot length of hog fence on each side. The best supposrt I have ever found!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need to get out and fertilize my flowers. My petunias are pretty bedraggled looking too.

Isn't there a point where we are supposed to stop feeding plants before fall/winter? I need to double check that with my flowering bushes at least.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually quit fertilizing approx. 2 months before first frost. Around the middle of August around here. Plants that overwinter would put on new growth that would be too tender to survive.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the petunias, snap off the stems and leave 6 to 8 inches of length from the pot. They will grow new legs and new flowers. Also when the flowers are done, snap off the seed pod that forms after the blossom drops. I did this this year and got a good amount of length out of them. Some were 2 feet or longer. One plant I gave it a haircut. The other pots still have quite a bit of blooms but we got heavy rains last night so that fertilizer is now gone. :mad2:

Will have to give another dose of it but half the strength. Probably on Mondayish. Piss me off too. Spent 2 hours watering and waiting for the plants to not be thirsty before feeding...then last night it rains. :bawling2: yeah i probably should just let them go but we usually have 2 more months of warm weather so still have time for pretty flowers.

The marigolds are huge!!! I'm impressed with how big they have gotten.

Here's some random pics
20190827_191429.jpg
petunia blanket. This was the last batch i got into the ground..I feed these guys twice so far and they seem happy.

20190828_055504.jpg

Zahara Zinnias. Yes they lived up to being drought tolerant. They prefer watering more often but can handle heat.

20190827_191507.jpg

Cone flowers took off this year.

20190828_055439.jpg
20190828_055429.jpg

Tomatoes are coming in good.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unlike last year, when our tomatoes did poorly, we have a bumper crop this year. It is funny how slowly they ripened at first, then came an avalanche, to the point that I have been eating the cherry tomatoes like candy, and giving away as many, if not more, than we are eating, and there are a lot more still on the vine. I think I will only plant one tomato plant next year!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to take better pictures of the flowers but here is the garden along the street
20190827_191055.jpg

The marigolds grew UP and petunias grow OUT. The Zinnias look happy there too. Thete are 5 tomato plants in the marigolds but you wouldn't know it. The deer ate the tops of the tomato plants in July and left a few tomatoes on the bottom. Those tomatos are in the picture up above.

20190827_191330.jpg

These white flowers are tidal wave petunias and supposed to grow 4 feet tall..now that I'm home I can focus on these plants since the other plants are all done. One year I got these plants to grow tall enough to engulf the rock.

Ok I found a picture from 2011 or 2013? That was around when I built this garden. The boulder is inside the flowers...liquid food every 14 days and compost was the thing that helped as well as watering daily if temps over 80 degrees or every other day if 73 to 78ish and every 3 days under 72 degrees.

FB_IMG_1530487163263.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Unlike last year, when our tomatoes did poorly, we have a bumper crop this year. It is funny how slowly they ripened at first, then came an avalanche, to the point that I have been eating the cherry tomatoes like candy, and giving away as many, if not more, than we are eating, and there are a lot more still on the vine. I think I will only plant one tomato plant next year!
:yeah: Trying to give them away. I’m finding that everyone’s tomatoes are producing like crazy. I went to a meeting yesterday and someone walked in with a big tub of them. “Please!” she said. “Take tomatoes!” No one took them. :lol: