The 2019 Gardening Thread.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every day, it is salad- we grow leaf lettuce in boxes on the deck railing- with sliced cherry tomatoes for lunch and dinner, and BLTs with horseradish sauce for lunch, plus the cherry tomatoes, either plain or with dill dip, as a snack.
:thud::drool: :yummy: :cloud9:

I think if I had a window to grow lettuce in I would. The bugs here turn me off of growing it myself. DH would love it. I was eating a lot of tomatoes for a while. My kids used to go pick cherry tomatoes and eat them while they played outside. This year wasn't as good for it. I felt like I was eating most of the tomatoes myself.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that a part of my success this year is the new planting bed. It gets about 4 hours of sun in the morning, then is shaded by a large black walnut tree until about 4 p.m. Maybe that helps to prevent sun scald, but whatever it is, it seems to be working. In prior years, no matter what I did as far as soil prep, there would be wilting by now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful! DS and I were checking out a swallowtail that was resting in our yard the other day. :bluebutterfly: DH and I are starting to talk about winterizing our yard. It's not time yet; but we are thinking. I see lots of mums out at the stores too. I will get some in a few weeks; but not yet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That may have been my first monarch, as though (of course) I've seen other butterflies, this one was so big! Unfortunately it didn't find anything appetizing in my garden and took off shortly after I took the picture. Next year I really have to plant some butterfly friendly flowers.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That may have been my first monarch, as though (of course) I've seen other butterflies, this one was so big! Unfortunately it didn't find anything appetizing in my garden and took off shortly after I took the picture. Next year I really have to plant some butterfly friendly flowers.
Nice shot. I saw a monarch about a week ago, but of course I didn't have a camera with me. It hit the cosmos, coneflowers, and several other plants before taking off.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was lucky. I saw it out the window, and ran to get my camera. Zoomed it on it and got one picture before it took off. And lucky for me, I got the pic when his/her wings were open. :)

Not sure if this is considered gardening, but I overseeded a large area of my backyard today. Hopefully it'll grow, or I'll have a mess in the spring.

Fall mums are out here too, and they're on sale this week, so I should pick up a couple.

My Sedums are slowly turning pink. They're a bee magnet, and there's always at least 2 on it every time I walk past.

I noticed a rebloom on my Geum today. And the purple Campanula keeps reblooming too.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sedum are so easy to grow...mine are starting to open. My dad's girlfriend has a ton growing wild in her yard...i need to dig some up. It rained today so no work outside.
You're not kidding. Once, while working around one of ours, I accidently broke off a piece of one. I stuck it in some Rootone and planted it- the darn thing grew, and it is still doing just fine. That was several years ago- how many I don't recall.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, very pretty. And nice to have blooms this year. The leaves looks so fresh and green. Mine Phlox don't look so good. In fact, one has a serious case of Powdery Mildew. :mad:
That's actually the second set of blooms. They told me at the greenhouse that they had pruned back the first set when they were spent.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty!! I noticed some small buds on mums I left under my bushes in a pot last fall. Maybe I'll get some nice flowers from it. My kids helped me empty a few pots that are done for the year. They ended up picking a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes each too. Our weather has been a little cooler and they were happier to be outside again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's actually the second set of blooms. They told me at the greenhouse that they had pruned back the first set when they were spent.
Hmmm... so maybe if I cut back my powdery mildewy phlox, they'll get more blooms. :headscratch: Probably too late now, but if they pruned them back, then it should hurt mine to get rid of the yucky branches.

I noticed some small buds on mums I left under my bushes in a pot last fall.
Does it go below freezing where you live? If so, that's pretty amazing that the mums survived.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does it go below freezing where you live? If so, that's pretty amazing that the mums survived.
Yep. They will grow back every year if I actually plant them. I have "rock" scaping in my front yard and we put large pavers in place so I have an easy spot to put potted flowers down. I haven't in the summer because the front gets the end of the day sun and it's just too hot for much. My roses do ok and my petunias planter is a bit sheltered but even there it can trap heat on the little porch we have. But in the fall I have level spots ready to go for 4 pots of mums.

Several years ago we took a trip and there was a cute store attached to a restaurant we ate at. They had huge pots of mums for sale and they had them in a purple shade and an electric purple/blue. Ever since I have kicked myself for not buying them. My kids were small and I didn't think they'd fit in the trunk well. :sigh: They were so unique to everything else I see here. :loveeyes: