The 2017 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using this cassette, but it is 36T version, never had problems with it, surely there are more expensive ones, but haven't found any benefit of getting more expensive ones. Of course this works only if you have 9 speed sifter and chain.
Shimano 9-fach Kassette CS-HG300 | 9-speed Shop

For 8 speed this is fine:
Shimano Cassette 8-speed CS-HG41 11-34 | 8-speed Shop

34T is nice to have, 36T would be even nicer as it allows to ride steeper hills. Look those HG numbers from your local shops, they might try to sell you something overly expensive.

If you have 7 speed cassette, it might be threaded/screw on type and that is bit different then, bit harder to find and not much options for those anymore, so replacing rear wheel might be then best option.

Youtube has lot of rear derailleur adjustment videos, it is best to do whole setup from zero to get it to work best, but if cassette is on way out, then no point adjusting it, new chain and cassette should help a lot, then good complete adjustment of limiters and cable and it should be good long time.

Shimano XT chain is quite nice, it does not rust so easily. I think that it was 93 number for 9-speed, 53 was for 9-speed but rusts easily, for 8-speed numbers were different again, but you can use 9-speed chain on 8-speed too, it is not best, but works, however best to get correct chain and not the low end as those tend to rust.

Rust is bigger issue on trail riding, wet clay, mud etc. tends to be quite brutal for the chain, on road it is not so important. I should of taken a pic of my chain when I did ride on wet clay, sank a bit few times, after the ride chain was clay covered, then I forgot to lube it, so it rusted quite well + clay made it solid as clay dried up and became quite hard, just would of needed to put it to oven and I would of had chain pottery :D

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, I see some people are doing a lot of yoga, I would never have the patience for anything more than 20 minutes. I prefer more... fast paced teamwork stuff. And running. Today was a combo of running and climbing for me, a total of around an hour and 45 minutes! Hopefully next week I'll be able to play some basketball or football.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I think everyone has their sweet spots. I have discovered I love bike riding a lot better than gym rat stuff. It's less boring and oh so challenging because you never know what kind of wind will hit you until you are out on the road/trail.

Today I got farther and got back in the nick of time. 31 minutes 3 miles out and 3 back=total 6 miles-got to the cemetery at the end of the road=I would have been back 2 minutes sooner but there was so much traffic and couldn't turn around until there was an opening=plus I wanted to turn around on top of hill so I can get some speed and race back which I did. I got up to 27 mph down the huge hill by work then the other smaller ones 20 to 25 mph. So as long as the wind is not whipping I can really crank out the miles...which is the best part=the wind in my face, music in my ears...and sun on me..starting to get a tan on my legs from wearing my bike shorts.

jtbo jtbo good call on those bike shorts you showed earlier. They hold up to sweat and washing very well. No loose threads yet and not all stretched either. As long as I don't sit on any rough surfaces I should be ok.

As far as the bike=it only skipped 2 times today-so maybe I got a twig/leave in it or something. I can't use the 9 or 8 shifter because it's the spit shift kind. 3 on left handle 7 on right handle- 2 of which I can't get the derailer to move over to use them but I don't care-I go up and down 1st, 2nd and 3rd all the time to make up for the missing 2 gears on the right side..in fact I figured out to shift up or down before I get to the hard parts-makes it easier on the chain/parts. It will be fine-I will just ride it until it blows up-it was given to me from a friend-so I don't really mind putting some money in it next year OR buy another bike=I kind of want to stay with this bike-I like the handles and the set up fits me good-most expensive bikes the handles are too close to the seat or just odd setup. This is your regular Schwinn walmart bike and it's good enough for me.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone has their sweet spots. I have discovered I love bike riding a lot better than gym rat stuff. It's less boring and oh so challenging because you never know what kind of wind will hit you until you are out on the road/trail.

Today I got farther and got back in the nick of time. 31 minutes 3 miles out and 3 back=total 6 miles-got to the cemetery at the end of the road=I would have been back 2 minutes sooner but there was so much traffic and couldn't turn around until there was an opening=plus I wanted to turn around on top of hill so I can get some speed and race back which I did. I got up to 27 mph down the huge hill by work then the other smaller ones 20 to 25 mph. So as long as the wind is not whipping I can really crank out the miles...which is the best part=the wind in my face, music in my ears...and sun on me..starting to get a tan on my legs from wearing my bike shorts.

jtbo jtbo good call on those bike shorts you showed earlier. They hold up to sweat and washing very well. No loose threads yet and not all stretched either. As long as I don't sit on any rough surfaces I should be ok.

As far as the bike=it only skipped 2 times today-so maybe I got a twig/leave in it or something. I can't use the 9 or 8 shifter because it's the spit shift kind. 3 on left handle 7 on right handle- 2 of which I can't get the derailer to move over to use them but I don't care-I go up and down 1st, 2nd and 3rd all the time to make up for the missing 2 gears on the right side..in fact I figured out to shift up or down before I get to the hard parts-makes it easier on the chain/parts. It will be fine-I will just ride it until it blows up-it was given to me from a friend-so I don't really mind putting some money in it next year OR buy another bike=I kind of want to stay with this bike-I like the handles and the set up fits me good-most expensive bikes the handles are too close to the seat or just odd setup. This is your regular Schwinn walmart bike and it's good enough for me.
For me gym is just not possible, my mind requires a lot faster stimulus to keep it from zoning out.

Right side has those small diameter cogs, right? Usually cable is too tight if you can't get to those or derailleur needs lubing, it also could be that H-screw in derailleur is the reason.

L and H screws are limiters, those limit how far derailleur will move, L is for left or low gear, that is large diameter cogs near the wheel and H is for small cogs at right side (when looking bike from rear to front).

So backing off, turning H-screw counterclockwise would be first thing to try as other gears work.

If cable is too tight, then L-screw needs to be adjusted so that it goes to 1st gear when cable is loosened.

It can very well be that your cassette is actually screw on freehub type, usually walmart bikes, especially older ones tend to be those type.

Update: Here is good video about adjusting shifting, it works for twist type shifters too:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you! I got it to go to 1st gear in the back-now to see if it comes out and goes all the way to 7, one gear seems to make noise so I adjusted that cable turney thing in the back until it stopped. As long as not too windy tomorrow I will let you know how it rides. the front derailers work fine. it's the back one that is fussy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, I see some people are doing a lot of yoga, I would never have the patience for anything more than 20 minutes. I prefer more... fast paced teamwork stuff. And running. Today was a combo of running and climbing for me, a total of around an hour and 45 minutes! Hopefully next week I'll be able to play some basketball or football.
I like the discipline of doing a longer routine every day, good for your mental health as well as physical.

;)

I do love a good run too though.

We had gorgeous weather on Friday so after my morning yoga I went for a long, two hour walk. Autumn colours everywhere and snow on Fuji already.

Walks94.jpg
Walks90.jpg
Walks95.jpg

We're being battered by another typhoon today. I mean, really, does it have to be every weekend!?

One hour of yoga yesterday, two 1 hour sessions planned for today.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the discipline of doing a longer routine every day, good for your mental health as well as physical.

;)

I do love a good run too though.

We had gorgeous weather on Friday so after my morning yoga I went for a long, two hour walk. Autumn colours everywhere and snow on Fuji already.

View attachment 202619 View attachment 202620 View attachment 202621
We're being battered by another typhoon today. I mean, really, does it have to be every weekend!?

One hour of yoga yesterday, two 1 hour sessions planned for today.

The view looks beautiful! Good job with all the yoga!

Today I did some random squats and jumping jacks... nothing fancy but tomorrow I'm going swimming! Yay!

(Also today I had to feed an army of cats, so all the running and dodging counts as exercise too!)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my bike ride done despite threat of rain. This time I didn't wear heavy sweat pants=just my biking shorts and this long sleeve yellow thin polyester anti sweat material shirt-the winds are blowing SE so going out wasn't an issue. It was on ride back-driving into wind just gives me a reason to push harder. I only got to the fire station by work. It started to rain at the very end when I wheeled by work trying to get up another hill since I figured if I come in from the opposite direction the wind will be on my back and push me back to work-it didn't quite work that way but helped cool me off plus the rain didn't seem to bother me. I guess I was going too fast for it to soak me. I love riding in the rain only because it cools me off. I don't like the rooster tail it gives me on my back-guess that's what they call that mud mark up your backside/back in dirt biking...hahaha. Good thing I don't have a dirt bike YET. That is FUN.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Got my bike ride done despite threat of rain. This time I didn't wear heavy sweat pants=just my biking shorts and this long sleeve yellow thin polyester anti sweat material shirt-the winds are blowing SE so going out wasn't an issue. It was on ride back-driving into wind just gives me a reason to push harder. I only got to the fire station by work. It started to rain at the very end when I wheeled by work trying to get up another hill since I figured if I come in from the opposite direction the wind will be on my back and push me back to work-it didn't quite work that way but helped cool me off plus the rain didn't seem to bother me. I guess I was going too fast for it to soak me. I love riding in the rain only because it cools me off. I don't like the rooster tail it gives me on my back-guess that's what they call that mud mark up your backside/back in dirt biking...hahaha. Good thing I don't have a dirt bike YET. That is FUN.
I love riding in the rain too! Ha, I never knew the mud-mark was called a rooster tail. That's cool!

I'm going swimming in about an hour and a half... this morning I did some burpees and tricep dips plus a 30 second plank (my record is 2 minutes!)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , I can't stop looking Fuji and thinking how much speed I could get with a bike coming down from there, that would break my current record for sure or something else :D

1 hour 30 minutes of walk/run today, it was snowing, then changed to wet rain, but that did not bother me much.

Yesterday I had real rest day, didn't do much at all.

Bike needs new bottom bracket bearing thing, rear derailleur, chain, cassette, freewheel, front brake disc is at limit too. That is over 100 euros, I'm thinking about winter running shoes instead.

My hiking boots have Contigrip soles, but those are very dangerous, no grip at all.

foxxycat foxxycat this is rooster tail :D :

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , those pictures are gorgeous! I can't imagine living where you do and see those views every day. Beautiful.

jtbo jtbo , love your rooster tail! :)

foxxycat foxxycat you go, woman!

Sunday -
3.5 miles on the treadmill
Barely squeaked in 10,000 steps (10,075 steps for the day - 4.77 miles)

I was in bed most of the afternoon with a bad headache.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester hope your headache goes away. could be from this horrible weather-we had 35 mph winds last night-took me an hour to get to work-trees and power lines down all over- tons of main roads closed..i was down the last possible way out of my town and I made it. I figured if that was closed then forget it just go home and wait till roads clear.

I love riding in the rain too! Ha, I never knew the mud-mark was called a rooster tail. That's cool!

I'm going swimming in about an hour and a half... this morning I did some burpees and tricep dips plus a 30 second plank (my record is 2 minutes!)
A guy at work who does motor cross sports told me-he loves dirt biking-which if I can figure out how to get the damn thing to shift from 1st gear I would be off having fun too. I have driven a side by side and that has no gears=D for drive and R for reverse. AND 4X4 to mud splash! THAT is fun!

Good job on the plank. I am not good at those. I prefer lifting weights..I was a gym ratt for 2 years until I got foot problems-once snow flies I will go back to the weights and indoor stationary bike-boring-but necessary. Then try skiing again...love skiing.

Norachan Norachan , I can't stop looking Fuji and thinking how much speed I could get with a bike coming down from there, that would break my current record for sure or something else :D

foxxycat foxxycat this is rooster tail :D :
Now that is a cool Rooster tail-look at the guy getting out of the way!! I want to do that in a side by side-with 4X4 drive. THAT is fun...more mud the better!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Merlin77 Merlin77 Good job with the plank! I do plank position as well. Their are yoga variations on it, such as one-arm/side plank and reverse plank. Good for your core.

jtbo jtbo I imagine cycling down Mount Fuji is a lot more fun than cycling up it. You'd need a reliable pair of brakes though.....

Winchester Winchester I've had a headache all day too. I think it's from being stuck in the house all weekend while the typhoon went over.

foxxycat foxxycat it sounds like you're having way too much fun playing in the mud.

:lol:

I did 90 minutes of yoga today and spent about an hour raking up fallen leaves. The cat's enclosure needs a lot of work done on it again, I've ear marked a few trees for branch trimming on my next day off.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, one armed plank is fun! So is reverse. Sometimes when I get tired of a regular plank I switch to a more interesting type halfway through holding it; helps keeps things interesting.

Today I'm looking forward to some team sports, maybe football or volleyball I can't say for sure.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I botched bike together using old parts, some new parts, gave good cleaning and you would think that !#%&# bike would be thankful from all the trouble, but no, this is what I get:

You can hear horrible grinding noise at end of the clip and this is the cause:
upload_2017-10-30_17-21-16.png

Chain jumps between RD cage and lower jockey wheel, then RD gets pulled up, that Altus has so weak spring and so loose cage that it is easy for chain to end up that way. Also it is not meant for 9 speed narrow chain, so that is also part of the issue.

It did work for 30 minutes, but started doing that more and more, eventually it did not work at all.

foxxycat foxxycat might wish to be here, cooling works and still plenty of mud :D
upload_2017-10-30_17-24-57.png

I got some footage though, but pathetic slow as also FD cable snapped, so I had only 22T chainring and only one cog at rear, 5th gear I believe, so that is maximum of 10mph which I could pedal, any faster was only possible by coasting downhill, where snow slows down a lot!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jtbo jtbo that does look like fun-until you got to the boards over water-I would be so scared of falling off. Good job! and sorry about the parts...the gears worked like a charm yesterday..so funny having all 7 gears to use but one of them needs a slight adjustment as it wouldn't stay in gear-but it wasn't a big deal. Just moved to next one..I didn't use 1st or 2nd up hills either-it was 3rd and 4th gear.

Edited later=got my ride in. only 5.3-5.4 miles-windy and pretty out-cloudy. perfect. I overheat so this weather was perfect. My legs are red from being cold. wore just my shorts and long sleeved yellow top. I have to shop on Amazon for a long pair of padded pants. but I do have a few long pairs of spandex pants on their way from Walmart online. I plan to ride until there's too much snow on the road and no room but usually the road I go down isn't high traffic anyways.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it is ok to fell, it is not deep, just smelly swamp water that has who knows what kind of things in it, I have felt before and it is bit annoying for 10 minutes, then not much different than normally.

At least I sweat so much that I'm always wet, then with fleece mid layer you don't really feel cold even when wet as you are not really wet, if soaked it works like a wet suit, so for me it is about same if it rains or not or if I fell into swamp, only feet tends to get cold as Gore-Tex seems to loose wind proofing when it is wet or some thermal conducting happens.

Soon foxxycat foxxycat is flying those uphills, then comes quest to find steeper hills, we don't have really huge mountains here so even steepest are quite mild compared to rest of the world, but for me local steepest hills are enough of challenge for now. Keep training and you are flying in no time :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Monday -
3.25 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
15,088 steps for the day - 7.19 miles

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today I saw sun, it is long time since I saw it last time.

I did cycle more than 2 hours today, but around 1 hour 50 minutes was training, rest was going shop and such.

upload_2017-10-31_18-18-51.png

Also got some poor entertainment for you, I don't count yesterdays ride as bike broke:

I can't comprehend fail at the end, all of sudden wheel just stopped after bouncing from side of trail, should of gone faster, speed corrects mistakes, but often I find either my head is not allowing me to go faster or then my legs/lungs are protesting too much :D

Oh yes, if you think wet roots are bad, think about icy roots hiding under the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.