The 2017 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
jtbo jtbo Love the videos. Thank you for posting. It was a bit cold today. I bought this Gore Core jacket off a bike sight-has sleeves that zip off-I only wore the vest and my yellow long sleeve-I was a bit cold for the first 5 to 10 minutes and then wasn't bad. It is 52°F but realfeel said 48° plus factor in the 15-20mph SW winds-so I figured it would be chilly. I wore long pants-some stretchy black legging type over the padded shorts. I also found wearing my merino wool socks instead of the regular sneaker socks keeps my feet much warmer in the wind.

One of my coworkers told me today that Dicks has some good deals for clearance so I will head there after work. Can't wait till I get my stuff I ordered from Walmart..why pay high prices for the same material?! Now to find a nylon shell pants that are not super expensive..seems sporting goods are so marked up it's ridiculous.

Today got to just past the fire station-it was 12:44 so I had to turn around..the wind is the biggest pain in the butt but it does add surprise to figuring out how to dress without overheating.
so I think it's 5.5 miles or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Buying yourself some new clothes is a great idea foxxycat foxxycat It really motivates you to keep going. I've just bought myself some new yoga blocks. I want to be able to do a yoga jump-through.

Looks easy doesn't it? It's really hard though, takes a ton of arm and core strength. Having the yoga blocks gives me a bit of extra height so I don't have to lift myself up so far.

I've been practicing for the past few days, I'm really feeling it in my arms and obliques today. Few more years and I should be able to do it.

:sweat:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan that does take incredible arm and core strength. I don't think I could breathe being scrunched up like that. That's the problem with belly fat-it gets in the way of breathing. I think you are incredibly motivated! Keep up the good work!! I used to roller skate and we did a similiar position-shooting the duck if you remember. It was getting into that same position but one leg out and one leg holding us up=I tried to do this just in sneakers and nope I fell over..have NO strength there...that would be an interesting thing to work on in the winter. Thank you for sharing.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , that doesn't even look easy!! I couldn't do it. No way.

Tuesday -
3.25 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
15,672 steps for the day - 7.1 miles

1st mile at 3.4
2nd mile at 3.5
3rd mile at 3.6
That .25 mile at 3.7

And I took the incline up to 2.5% (I used to be at 4%, so I still have a way to go)

I'm keeping everything the same this week and then will increase next week.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 hours cleaning and washing, floors, windows, closets, drawers, I woke up before 6am and I was supposed to go for a bike ride at noon, but it is already 2pm and sun is going down fast as sunset is at 4pm.

Previous resident of city apartment was really messy girl, I didn't even know girls can be so messy, it is not enough to wipe surfaces clean, need to scrub and some spots only knife will work in removing dark brown spots of unknown origin.

Norachan Norachan , once upon a time we all had unbreakable rubber bones, we could bend ankle behind neck with ease, then we got older, or at least some of us, be careful not to strain something youngling! :eek:

Here is quiz for you, try to make a guess without peeking, which one has more calories, orange juice or orange lemonade/soda/soft drink?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 hour faster ride, from 35minutes or so onward it was flatout, but HR did not go any higher, it was dark, there was ice and snow, also it felt nice and not too hot as temperature was -9C (15.8F), I had cycling coat and pants, thin micro fleece mid layer and technical t-shirt + cycling shorts, gloves, helmet hood thing, running socks + merino wool socks (they have 8% cotton but were only 4€ pair):
upload_2017-11-1_18-46-29.png

At first it felt that I will freeze out there, but when I put some watts to pedals there was no fear of feeling cold. After the ride had red skin on tights and chest, so it was bit cold, however I was sweating so much that helmet started to build ice shell from sweat. That is actually kind of funny as sweat contains salt, 1 liter of sweat has 5 grams of salt.

Decided to try 0 deficit for rest of the week, it is ok even if I eat bit too much, weight loss needs some breaks, I'm quite sure of it.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another ride done today. only got to just past the fire station. cold windy. wore the gore core jacket=nice n toasty. infact too warm. Tomorrow will remove the sleeves and wear the yellow long sleeve dry weave fabric. wore gloves too.Long pants. Pushed harder this time because I was lagging by 2 minutes.

keep up the good work everyone!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2.5 hours riding today, I got bit lost, I followed a trail that disappeared, then I ended up into place surrounded by water and had to walk trough forest carrying my bike to find trail that would lead back to civilized world, so it was quite lot of walking instead of riding:
upload_2017-11-2_17-18-1.png

I think places look pretty, but it is so dark even this is at brightest time of the day that camera does not like it:

Clear ice and steep climb is interesting combination:

We have some hills:
upload_2017-11-2_17-21-12.png

Also lot of forest, some are probably bit magical:
upload_2017-11-2_17-20-32.png

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slammed it today=got 6 miles in exactly 30 minutes. There was only faint wind today-which helps. I overdressed and was overheating-it's 59 out and muggy. tomorrow is tank top and shorts only as its going to be 69 so I doubt I will get as far since I overheat so easily. Love riding my bike..don't know why I ever gave it up 20 years ago?

Jtbo-that would be the death of me-getting frustrated- lol I would just follow my trail back LOL. But good on you for sticking it out! I couldn't!!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slammed it today=got 6 miles in exactly 30 minutes. There was only faint wind today-which helps. I overdressed and was overheating-it's 59 out and muggy. tomorrow is tank top and shorts only as its going to be 69 so I doubt I will get as far since I overheat so easily. Love riding my bike..don't know why I ever gave it up 20 years ago?

Jtbo-that would be the death of me-getting frustrated- lol I would just follow my trail back LOL. But good on you for sticking it out! I couldn't!!!
It is quite easy to get your bearings from sun, stars or trees and when exercised some years few extra steps even at soft ground while carrying bike is not very big challenge. I remember how it was during first couple of years when had not build much fitness yet, extra steps were so hard to take.

However this is that still bother me a lot, these are norther variety of potato, taste is far superior to any other variety, but peeling them is really annoying, they are so small and hard to grab, then you try to peel but cut more fingers than manage to peel them. Why they have to come in such annoying package, grrrr.
upload_2017-11-3_14-9-1.png

However that is go fast food, you put 500 grams of those smash them, 300 grams of lean ground meat and 200-250 grams of lingonberry jam, mix them together and eat whole mess. Then after 30 minutes or so start exercising and rocket fuel lasts about 2 hours.

It works even better than pasta, but peeling alone takes more time than cooking pasta.

Anyway that is my next task, I had bit over 1 hour bike ride and after I have eaten, I go for another ride, if my body just can handle all this exercise, around right knee there is bit of pain when crouching and many other issues, but I think there is some improvement happening.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
huhhh potatoes? Well that would make sense-they are full of potassium and complex carbs. I like pasta because it has no simple carbs-which forces body to break down which uses calories to do so.

I am back at my prior weight-Halloween candy-blah. but I got the candy urge out of my system so it's back to oatmeal, chicken, pasta, spinach. broccoli type food.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 hours riding today, over 43km and almost 2400 calories destroyed by exercise, total calories burned during the day is way more than 4000.

26 000 steps too, climbed 1450m with a bike today which is all time record, currently at this week I have climbed almost 3700 meters, so as there is two more days to climb, I'm hoping to have well over 4000 meters for this week, which hopefully lands me 1st place at my cycling clubs for this week.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok got a good ride in-got up to 27 mph and couldn't pedal anymore LOL. the wind behind me helps push me along...I wanted to yell out in excitement because you know I love speeding...never too fast!

I got about 5.8 miles. 71°F out-too hot. no long sleeves today. I put some energizer drink in my camel pack and it really helped keep me hydrated better=it's something I got off Amazon=some electrolyte solution in 7 flavor packs. This one was berry flavor.

I will shop around as that was very pricy but I wanted to try dif ones plus I know I can make a home made one but I wanted something easy to mix up. These call for 24 ounces and I mix 50 ounces. I don't like my juice mix strong.

I plan on riding this weekend during my break=working tons of OT to afford new gear=which I found on ebay...one item was dirt cheap and one was a bit more but it was a brand I like and I knew it would actually fit as most sports gear is 3 times too small for me and I rather not deal with returns again...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Everyone has been doing so well!

:clap::clap2::clap::clap2::clap::clap2::clap::clap2::clap::clap2::clap::clap2:

jtbo jtbo those forests do look magical. The potatoes look pretty good too. You don't need to peel them. Most of the vitamins are in the skin, just scrub them and cook them as they are. They'll be fine like that

foxxycat foxxycat your bike rides sound like so much fun!

90 minutes of yoga and a 25 minute run on Thursday. Yesterday was a house day, lots of raking and sawing and dragging cut branches out of the enclosure. Today I did an hour of Ashtanga yoga and then a 25 minute run. The yoga blocks are helping me get airborne when I do the jump-through. Still struggling, but I guess practice makes perfect.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another bike ride done-tired today for some reason-no energy but I did get to the same spot I got to the other day. 5.8 miles. Wind not too bad. 54°F outside. sunny and a bit of breeze..I am ready for a nap after work. thud.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last ride of the week, from some reason bike did run really well:
upload_2017-11-5_20-0-29.png

I like this part quite a lot, where as yesterday I hardly managed to go past 140bpm and reaching that was really hard, today I could hold 140bpm and it did not feel bad at all, sadly chain was skipping at 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gear, cassette is so worn and rear derailleur so useless piece of junk, so I could not push much at uphill parts unless using 5th or 4th which was possible only at steeper hills:
upload_2017-11-5_19-59-32.png

Strava lies 5 300 meters of climbing, Polar shows 130 meters for this route and Strava claims over 800 meters, go figure, I would like to believe Polar to be more correct, but competition is on Strava and I guess it is comparable between others in there. I have 1st place and 2nd place has half the climbing what I have so I guess I'm doing fine.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my ride in today. about 5.7 miles-tired today and it was windy.

Going to the gym to do some more training. Gonna get rid of this weight one way or another. Think will bring my water backpack and hit the bike there then weights.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems I exercise a bit while at sleep too :D
upload_2017-11-7_8-52-32.png

My normal resting HR is currently 38-42 bpm, when sleeping it is not lower, but around same, maybe bit higher at times.

I'm not allowed to do exercising today either, just light riding to shop and back if anything.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We've had some gorgeous weather lately so I've been able to go on long walks. An hour walk and 90 minutes yoga on Sunday and Monday, an hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk today.

Some days I'm stiff and clumsy and can't do yoga as well as I'd like, but today everything just flowed really nicely and I was able to do some more advanced poses. I love good yoga days.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
jtbo jtbo , your potatoes remind me of fingerling potatoes here. Don't peel them! As Norachan Norachan says, a good scrubbing will suffice. They look so nice. And I love your forest pictures!

I didn't do anything over the weekend on the treadmill....we were really busy doing all kinds of stuff around the house. And on Saturday morning, I got up, fed the kids, and went back to bed. Saturdays are off-treadmill days for me.

Monday -
3.5 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
14,166 steps for the day - 6.7 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.