Tera + 2 - 4

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart broke a little for you in reading this. Only because I can only imagine how attached and invested you are (heck, I'm attached and invested in this little family!) and how hard it will be to part with them.
But, objectively, I think this sounds like a wonderful way to give Tera and one baby an amazing new start in life. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing. I'm going to relish every update and every photo to come. Thank you for continuing to share this journey with us.

I'm sending lots of good vibes for good test results for Tera tomorrow and lots of hugs to you @Kittens Mom.
http://www.wmranch.org/
The 250 is reasonable as it would cost close to that to have her spayed. She is such a damn special cat. I need to give her what she needs. Not what I want. They have been in operation as long as I can remember. We're not going to get out of this cheap by either keeping her or surrendering her to a good rescue. I never made money on horses either. For every stellar high dollar sale I made I dragged home 3 train wrecks.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a great organization. If you ultimately decide this is the place for Tera, please let me know. I'd love to make a donation to them in her name/honor. She has touched my heart and I'd love to help out the organization that helps her on her way to her forever home.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ultimately I think this is for the best.  She is as interactive with my husband as she is with me. That shows she's well socialized and not just bonded to one person. She's very vocal and chatty. Likes to be held. She sat on my lap for a while last night. She is acutely aware of her claws and considering the way I have moved her around had not offered one claw or tooth. She is using the litter box and her scratcher. This way she would get to keep one of her babies and might even accept a few orphans.

The first time I seen her out in the open and not just a shadow she walked out and sat between two fence posts and just owned her world. You could see her considering her options.  And at the same time she was so alone. She craves human company. I can grow a baby into the house. I can't guarantee two alphas are going to ever just be satisfied in their respective corners.

Mercy is a little delicate flower. She will retreat when threatened. And a baby that will rapidly grow into a playmate makes sense.

All that said. Adulting sucks.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart broke a little for you in reading this. Only because I can only imagine how attached and invested you are (heck, I'm attached and invested in this little family!) and how hard it will be to part with them.
But, objectively, I think this sounds like a wonderful way to give Tera and one baby an amazing new start in life. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing. I'm going to relish every update and every photo to come. Thank you for continuing to share this journey with us.

I'm sending lots of good vibes for good test results for Tera tomorrow and lots of hugs to you @Kittens Mom.
Me too.  But I'm sure she'll find a good home.

Just an idea, but can you leave the information for this thread so that potential adopters can see the wonderful journey Tera was on.  Perhaps if they see her story, the adopters will be just as loving knowing what she was up against and the love to her babies.  

Plus (call me selfish) but perhaps they'll join TCS and we can still follow her journey.

Also sending good vibes from the "Big Apple" - You're stronger than I.  xo

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Me too.  But I'm sure she'll find a good home.

Just an idea, but can you leave the information for this thread so that potential adopters can see the wonderful journey Tera was on.  Perhaps if they see her story, the adopters will be just as loving knowing what she was up against and the love to her babies.  

Plus (call me selfish) but perhaps they'll join TCS and we can still follow her journey.

Also sending good vibes from the "Big Apple" - You're stronger than I.  xo
I just spent a half hour crying on my husband. I will make all information available here and on my FB page and with the rescue.  Vet tomorrow and the bonus is getting a definite nod on the sex of the babies. Husband wants to keep both. He brings home the bacon but I run the budget.

Question. Should the babies ride in a separate crate to the vet for safety ?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just spent a half hour crying on my husband. I will make all information available here and on my FB page and with the rescue.  Vet tomorrow and the bonus is getting a definite nod on the sex of the babies. Husband wants to keep both. He brings home the bacon but I run the budget.

Question. Should the babies ride in a separate crate to the vet for safety ?
I'm one for being independent and I hardly listen to my hubby. LOL  But then again mine never had a brilliant idea like your hubby???  LOL  

Everything will work out just fine, and you never know, perhaps Tera and baby will be adopted together.  fingers crossed.

I don't have info on your question, as I"m learning all this through you.  

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I'm one for being independent and I hardly listen to my hubby. LOL  But then again mine never had a brilliant idea like your hubby???  LOL  

Everything will work out just fine, and you never know, perhaps Tera and baby will be adopted together.  fingers crossed.

I don't have info on your question, as I"m learning all this through you.  
Mine can be a great sounding board. I tend to become very emotionally invested and cocooned. I would like to give her another 10 days with the babies. We'll see where things go. None of this was planned so the plans change day by day as we look for the best options for us and for Tera and her two babies. Thank you for the support. It means the world. I can't help but feel when I talked to the rescue and the vet and tell them I found this knocked up cat  they're thinking sure you did.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
How old are the babies now?  I thought they were born about ten days ago, so I'm wondering why you would only be keeping Tera for another ten days.   What am I missing?   

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tera might be a little less alpha as the kittens grow up and don't need her.  Just sayin'!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the babies now?  I thought they were born about ten days ago, so I'm wondering why you would only be keeping Tera for another ten days.   What am I missing?   
I agree. I think mom and babies need to stay together. Could you either keep Tera and be the foster until the kittens or older or let them all go to a foster home together and then take a kitten back? Separating them now just doesn't sound like the best answer.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

We raised Mook and Kitten from a much younger age.  As Tera starts to outgrow being crated with her babies we don't have the room to let her roam and can't take the risk of an accidental throw down between her and Mook. Anyone who disagrees with any decisions we make needs to realize all rescues are overwhelmed we are lucky to get on a waiting list and Tera has an excellent chance at her own person and her babies didn't die in filth. We didn't make this mess. WE are simply doing our best to cope with it and give all of them the best chance for a life well loved. Turning them over to local shelters is most likely a death sentence. In the best of worlds I'd have a whole building and endless funds to clean up the messes that never needed to happen.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

We raised Mook and Kitten from a much younger age.  As Tera starts to outgrow being crated with her babies we don't have the room to let her roam and can't take the risk of an accidental throw down between her and Mook. Anyone who disagrees with any decisions we make needs to realize all rescues are overwhelmed we are lucky to get on a waiting list and Tera has an excellent chance at her own person and her babies didn't die in filth. We didn't make this mess. WE are simply doing our best to cope with it and give all of them the best chance for a life well loved. Turning them over to local shelters is most likely a death sentence. In the best of worlds I'd have a whole building and endless funds to clean up the messes that never needed to happen.
Ah, I understand now.  I had forgotten the potential problem with Mook and was overlooking the limitations of the crate  I agree - you're very lucky to have a rescue to work with.  It actually sounds like an ideal situation.  I hope you didn't think I disagreed with your decisions - I really was just curious.  As far as I'm concerned, you're a hero rescuing this poor girl and her babies and giving her (and them) a chance in life.  I'm really sorry if I implied otherwise.  

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I have learned in life is that it isn't make of rainbows and unicorns. Picture perfect poor starving stray taken in with kittens lives happily ever after isn't reality. Making sure they are all taken care of and the cycle of endless litters broken. is reality. Having to make hard choices based on all the facts is reality. Keeping Tera another 10 days. They hopefully that 10 will make another 10. I'm making sure we have options.

Someone owned Tera once. They taught her to love humans and then for whatever reason tossed her outside and apparently didn't even feel the need to see she was fed let alone spayed. Simply left to fend for herself.

I shared this story because I'm not a rescue. I just couldn't stand to see one more poor cat starve, breed and eventually die for no reason. We're just people trying to make the best decisions possible.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I have learned in life is that it isn't make of rainbows and unicorns. Picture perfect poor starving stray taken in with kittens lives happily ever after isn't reality. Making sure they are all taken care of and the cycle of endless litters broken. is reality. Having to make hard choices based on all the facts is reality. Keeping Tera another 10 days. They hopefully that 10 will make another 10. I'm making sure we have options.

Someone owned Tera once. They taught her to love humans and then for whatever reason tossed her outside and apparently didn't even feel the need to see she was fed let alone spayed. Simply left to fend for herself.
I shared this story because I'm not a rescue. I just couldn't stand to see one more poor cat starve, breed and eventually die for no reason. We're just people trying to make the best decisions possible.
I, of course, think you are doing a wonderful thing. It just seemed to me that there were possibly more options.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I, of course, think you are doing a wonderful thing. It just seemed to me that there were possibly more options.
The last thing I want to do is break this little family apart prematurely. Today was not a good day. Tera was unhappy being in a dark room part of the day while husband slept. She has to be crated. It is a large crate but still a crate.  I felt guilty she was unhappy. In a few weeks we'll have Tera and two little widgets all over the place. So I spent the day exploring the options along with the pros and cons of taking the babies early. I sleep in the living room most nights so she has the lights and windows for 18 hours a day. And still I don't feel like I'm doing enough for her. I want Tera to have her very own person. Not a caretaker. The rescue I have picked out is one that is very well established with a real excellent reputation.

Personally we really enjoyed hand raising Kitten and Mook and are fully aware to the care and commitment it takes. I have the time to devote to it if we go that way. I also think it's prudent to have a back up plan.  Now I just have to get through the stress of getting her blood test tomorrow. and should I put the babies in a separate carrier ?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
From reading the Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum, I've seen people go both ways with the carrier, i.e. kittens with Mom and kittens separate from Mom. Assuming the carrier was large enough, I would probably keep them all together just so they wouldn't be so freaked out but someone else may have some other insights on the issue. Sigh. I'm afraid I'm not much help.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
From reading the Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum, I've seen people go both ways with the carrier, i.e. kittens with Mom and kittens separate from Mom. Assuming the carrier was large enough, I would probably keep them all together just so they wouldn't be so freaked out but someone else may have some other insights on the issue. Sigh. I'm afraid I'm not much help.
Well maybe we'll both learn something. The ones I can manage are small. I'm thinking separate but side by side in the car.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping Tera gets a clean bill of health tomorrow.
I have a feeling it's sort of like the coggins for horses. Almost never ever a positive It's just a way to control the spread of disease.