Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I am wondering if they aren't fixed. :( There are a lot of cats. Is there a fence or was the dog inside? Cats that know the area tend to know which animal is a threat and when.

Yes on the males but there are small cats/kittens. It is strange. If the males were intact they would typically be fighting. Not every cat gets er tipped, some get a notch out of there ear and some nothing. BUT usually they do ear tips. Usually people are decent but there are horror stories. It just depends. If there is dog fighting around then.............. It is good that they are skittish (in my opinion) since that instinct will help them survive just in case. It is so hard.

It is good the cat is not terrified. Maybe it just looks strange from a distance? I hope it is nothing.

Difficult to know. It is mating season so it may even be too late. And they are hard to catch. It is awful.

I think contacting the group is a good idea. Then go from there. They would know how to contact the person and move forward. Then they can determine if it is best to just TNR them or possible try to get some adopted out. I do want you to be careful. I wouldn't knock on the door but if you see a person outside then a "hi" and a "what beautiful cats" is a good opening and then see how the person responds. Because it is an art to talk to these people. Not everyone is always nice and it takes a pro to be diplomatic. I would try the group and then let's see how it goes and just take it one step at a time.

Those are good reasons not to add. I never want to discourage but I also don't want people to get in over their heads and end up having big issues which may affect more than 1 cat (the one that was brought in). I know it is hard but I think you are making the best decision not to add another cat. It is so hard, I deal with it every day. I lost my dear feral girl last year and I am still broken hearted, I loved her and I feel I let her down. I have lost a lot of ferals from my colonies over the years. It is not easy. I have mine now that all of them would be GREAT cats but I can't bring them in and I can't find them homes. Every one is either full or allergic to cats (supposedly).

I know, it is hard. Just do your best. Mice is a very good diet for cats so fixing them and trying to give as much shelter and fresh water and making their lives as good as possible for as long as possible is good. I know you will do your best and what is right. I know it is very hard. I wish the world was different but this is what we have. There are probably 350 million ferals in the USA and how many billions in the world and their lives are pretty tough but if we can just make a small difference then we have done something good.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. It is so sad. Hang in there and just do your best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteered for the shelter yesterday. There was an event at PetSmart and I was there from 10a.m. to 3p.m. It was a lot of fun, but it was exhausting. That got me to thinking about things and I've been stressing a little. I was so tired after that event that I didn't want to do anything. I made myself take Stella for a walk afterwards and keep up on playing with them, but it made me think about getting a job and working with animals. I know I'm just not used to the work and I can adapt, but I don't know how to manage everything until I do. I'll find a way, of course. One thing I do know is I want to work with animals.

Well, there aren't a bunch of kittens running around. Most of them are adults. I saw a kitten today and I'm not sure if it's the same one or not. Long hair, solid blue, but it looked lighter in color. However, that could have been the lighting. last time the kitten was further in and in the shade. This time the kitten was closer to the fence and in a patch of sun.

The dog is kept on a lead in a fenced in yard.

Well, none of these cats have an ear tip or a notch. But perhaps some lady is just trying to find the cheapest way possible to get them fixed without worrying about the ear tip? I don't know. They're definitely coexisting peacefully. More peacefully than my lot, from what I've seen. And I haven't seen any signs of injuries on them for them to be fighting. I'm still holding out hope that they are fixed. Maybe there's just one or two that haven't been yet or a new cat came into town. I don't know.

Most dogs are kept on leash or in a fenced in yard, but there is the occasional one roaming loose. I had one come up to use with it's hackles up yesterday. That made I think the fifth dog, sixth time, but it hasn't happened much on that street.

I think the cat's eyes are definitely a bit odd, but I'm kind of leaning towards past illness/birth defect rather than something current. None of the others seem at all ill and he doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape.

I'm going to try to remember to email the organization tomorrow. I've just been so busy the past couple of days. They were actually at the event I volunteered at and I was going to talk to them, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time over there since I was volunteering and I didn't want to get in the way of people wanting to adopt. If I ever see this person, I'll try to get myself to speak up, but at this point I'm not very hopeful unless I intentionally go out at different times to find them.

If I knew I could support another cat and I had the room to do the introductions, I would. But I don't. Not having room is a huge reason to not do it because I know that's essential. There's no way I could even hope to do introductions as it is. Though I did plan on adding another dog before adding a cat. You never know though.

I'm sure it's difficult trying to take care of a colony of cats, knowing you can't protect them from everything. I don't pretend to understand it exactly since I've never done it, but even the thought is enough to stress me out. And, as someone with cat allergies, I always struggle when I hear people use that as an excuse. I mean, I can understand if they're severe allergies that ruin the person's quality of life and they couldn't care for the cat properly, but I've never let an itchy nose or sneezing stop me. I couldn't imagine letting it stop me.

I wish I could do so much more. I wish I could afford getting them fixed and feeding them and making sure they all have shelter, but at this point all I can do is try to find people who can do that. In future I hope to do more, but right now I'm limited. I'd like to help this lady if I could though. Who knows, maybe one day she'll have the window open and here me saying, "Hi kitty kitty kitty." Or, "Hello, pretty kitty." I do that a lot.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD FOR YOU!!! That is GREAT!! I know, it is VERY exhausting. But you had fun, got through it, and learned things. Don't stress. The unknown is always stressful and scary but I KNOW you are capable of anything you put your mind to. You will figure out the routine of work and everything in life. You are intelligent and there will be some trial and error but you'll figure it out. I think I know you pretty well at this point and I know you can handle anything. It is great you want to work with animals. But whatever you choose and put your mind to I think you will be successful!!

That is good. It could be the same kitten. There are usually a few but certain circumstances can make that not true. I have two blue twins and they are so hard to see the difference (as kittens and even now). Just keep looking and see.

Ahhhhhh, yes. That is why the cat knows it is ok. They are smart.

I hope so. It is really a tough call. My sense is they are not fixed BUT they get along. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Yikes. That can be scary. At least the dog didn't do anything.

That is great. Mention in your email you saw them at the event but were busy volunteering so couldn't talk to them. I think this could be a really good path.

It is really, really tricky adding another cat. Even with room and even knowing what to do. My last addition was a real challenge. When a person gets to a few it gets exponentially more difficult. I think I am pretty good at intros but some cats are more difficult than others. Another dog is a lot easier. But don't feel bad. The fact you are giving 3 cats and a dog a great home is fantastic and admirable.

It is funny. I was REALLY allergic but after being exposed to them for a while my allergies have gone away (for the most part). The human body is pretty amazing in some ways. I do think that maybe it is best that someone not committed to the cats doesn't take them because who knows if they will let the cats down. I believe once you commit to an animal then you have to go the whole way for them unless something extraordinary happens. Yes, emotionally it is hard to take car of and bond with ferals. I have coyotes, hawks, owls that are always a threat. It is awful. But I try to do my best. Nature can be pretty harsh sadly.

Please do not feel bad. You are doing a lot. I too wish I could do more but we can only do what we can do. If you do your best then you are successful. I think you are doing great and have no reason to feel bad in any way.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I can figure it out, but I guess a lot of it was just that I was feeling a bit guilty since I didn't give them as much attention as I usually do. I didn't even think about it until I went to bed, but then I realized I hadn't really just stopped to pet them. I can't just slack off on caring for them because I spend so much time caring for other animals, even if it is only temporary until I sort things out. Thanks for the encouragement though! That's always helpful. Sometimes I get too set on what could happen in the future and how I can plan for it now.

I will keep looking. It's possible it's two different kittens since the first looked like more of a slate gray and this one was more silvery, but it could definitely be lighting too. It's hard to tell. I'm also trying to not look like a weirdo peering into someone's backyard, but it's really hard to not look. I mean, a cat lover walking past a yard potentially full of cats? And full of cats that could need help? I don't think it's possible to not look.

Oh, I hope they are. You know more than I do, but I'm still holding out hope. I suppose it's possible the blue tabby is female, but it seemed like a pretty big cat. Not like a Maine Coon or anything, but fairly large and broad.

Fortunately not, but it was definitely debating on it. It didn't seem aggressive, but nervous and defensive.

I'll do that.

I do worry about Ember and possibly getting another cat. I'm not sure she'd allow for it though I'd like to rescue one at some point. I have no clue when. That's still very far off. The boys I don't think would be a huge problem, despite being older. I think it would be harder now than it would have been before since they've gotten a bit crabbier and less interested in cats, but they're pretty laid back. They took to Ember and Coal well enough and Stella wasn't much of a problem as long as she didn't get in their space.

I have pretty bad allergies. Spring is always miserable for me with cats blowing their coats and plants blooming. I'm doomed if I'm inside and doomed if I'm outside. But they're worth it. Both the cats and the plants. I'm hoping my allergies get better though. I am getting shots for them, but it can take up to five years to work. But I agree, someone who won't commit shouldn't bother. I just think it's sad that people will let little things get in the way of that commitment. I couldn't imagine not having cats. I definitely agree that once you get an animal, you ought to be completely committed to them. That's why I want to avoid ever getting an animal that I might not be able to care for or keep or whatever reason. Loving and caring for them means giving them the best life possible. Yes, sometimes that means giving them up, but that should be a last resort.

It's still hard though. Of course, I'd love to do so much for all animals, not just cats. But even then it gets difficult because one person can only fight so many battles. But I hope this situation gets figured out, one way or another.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand that. But you shouldn't feel guilty. You give them so much love. Sometimes we do get busy and it happens sometimes but there is no question that they are in good hands. But I know how you feel. I think we all get too focused on the future and planning for it but it is also good to plan. Just so there is a good balance. You will get there, don't worry.

It is hard to tell. I have a hard time sometimes telling cats I know apart because of lighting etc. Hahahahaha, I don't think you will look like a "weirdo". But I know what you mean.

I hope so too. Usually you can tell by the head size and neck size. But it can be difficult to tell. I have been fooled many times!!!

That is good the dog wasn't aggressive. Defensive and nervous can be dealt with.

Cool.

Yes, Ember could be a problem. It is interesting, when I added my most recent I thought two of them would have no problem and one would be the problem. I was EXACTLY wrong. The two has issues while the one I most worried about accepted fine. Goes to show how hard it is too know even when you know the cats.

WELL SAID!!! Totally agree. I too have outside allergies which hit me hard and have never gotten better sadly. But at least my allergy to cats is mush better.

Improving the life of one animal or person is a huge accomplishment and something a person can be proud of. We can't fix everything but any positive impact we can make is a positive and we should be proud of. It is easy to be hard on ourselves (I know I sure have felt my share of guilt etc) but that is just negative energy that doesn't help anything. I just try to focus my energy on positive things and not worry about things I can't control. You will do fine!!

Everything you are feeling we all have gone through so we know what it is to worry, question, doubt, etc. But if we stay focused and do our best things work out typically.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want that to become a habit though. They should always be my top priority. I made that commitment to them. So if I'm going to work with animals, I'm going to have to get it figured out pretty quickly.

I saw another new cat today laying on the porch with the classic tabby. :eek2: It was another dilute tortie. Definitely not the same cat. This one was bigger and shorthaired. The first one was small and sort of medium haired. I don't understand why I'm seeing all of these new cats all at once. For so long it was the same cats over and over again. I also saw a black cat. I was pretty far from it, but it didn't look chubby enough for the black one I usually see, but could have been the one I saw once before.

I'm honestly somewhat surprised I haven't been caught yet. I pass that house three times on my walk and I'm always looking at/for the cats and talking to them. Today I was so busy looking at the classic tabby that I didn't see the orange cat until he took off running and scared me. I felt bad for scaring him. I was apologizing to him as he stopped to look back at me.

Yeah, and some of these cats are a bit chubby! If they do have a bigger neck/head then it can be hard to tell if it's because they're male or just overweight.

Well, defensive and nervous isn't too comforting, but definitely better than a dog that runs out in attack mode.

That's true. Especially with all the changes they've made. Frost is the one who has a problem with the little dog that comes over sometimes. But Ember is still the most insecure of the three of them.

I'd like things to get better. It can be hard to work around dirty cats outside or in a shelter because they trigger my allergies. Or certain cats cause worse reactions than others. Ember being one of those cats.

You're right, of course. Whatever I can do, I will do. Hopefully what I can do will continue to grow and I'll have more opportunities to help out, but for now I'll stick with what I can.

I did contact the organization today. It's just a matter of getting a response now.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am highly confident you will. I don't worry it will be a habit at all.

:( There are usually a lot more than we think. Interesting they are so visible.

Well, the people may not be able to see out there or they don't care or they aren't able to move as well or they don't want to be social. There are a lot of reasons it could be. I am not surprised. Someday you may see someone when they are outside then it could be figured out better. It happens, I am sure the orange guy was fine. If he was really scared he wouldn't have stopped to look back.

Usually the head is bigger but I know what you mean. Sometimes it is really difficult to tell.

Yes. As long as the dog isn't cornered then they shouldn't attack. But always be on guard because things can change quickly and get dangerous.

It is hard to know. They may surprise you.

I know. Some cats really do trigger it worse than others. For whatever reason.

:yess:

Great!!! They will get back to you and then we'll see. Good job!!!!:goodluck:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I kind of figure if there were that many I could see then there were probably more that I couldn't. However, it's like they're all showing up at one time now. And none of them seem scared of me! Well, just the orange one, but he seems to be getting used to me too.

I'm fine with them not coming out since I wasn't trying to get caught, but sometimes I seem suspicious to myself with how many times I walk past the house. Lol. Yeah, I think the orange cat scared me more than I scared him. I just saw a blur of movement out of the corner of my eye. I'm not used to him letting me get so close.

I carry a whistle and mace on me for safety, but haven't gotten to the point where I need the mace, fortunately. The whistle I'm afraid could make things worse if I used it to scare the dog since it makes Stella come running to me.

Yeah, of all my cats it's the short haired one that causes me worse reactions. Maybe it's because I eat so much of her fur. For some reason, it's always her fur that ends up in my food.

They got back to me today. I haven't responded just yet as it always takes me a bit to figure out what I'm going to say. Basically, they have a wait list until May, so they can't help as of right now. They said if I'd like to start the process then I should get in contact with the caretaker and find out if any are neutered. :eek2: She gave me a couple of places I could get appointments with and I'm trying to look to see if I could even afford to get maybe a couple of cats neutered myself, but even if I can I'm not sure if I can hold cats before or after appointments. We don't have a garage. We do have a basement, but it's very cold down there and I'm afraid it'll stress my cats out.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Maybe you are just looking for them more? It could be about mating as well. Maybe they are so accustomed to people? Usually females are more skittish then the males but it really depends.

Yes, I know how you feel. Hahahahaha, I know the feeling. You try to see what is going on but try not to be obvious then think "wow, am I obvious?". I know that feeling. It is funny because when humans act cool like no issue then cats take that on but we get startled fairly easily and then the cat does. It is funny. All is fine when we don't see the cat but they see us but then....................

That is good. A whistle could cause it to escalate. Most dogs don't want to attack which is good so hopefully you wont have to use either.

Interesting. I never thought about that. I eat a lot of cat hair too sadly. :(

Well that is good. Just be yourself and explain your concerns etc. So if you don't feel comfortable contacting the caretaker try to explain that and see what they say. Also, maybe ask if there are volunteers in your area to help since you are inexperienced. Also, think about explaining your financial situation and what you can and can't do. And explain the situation about recovery. The boys are easy but the girls are more difficult. Just explain that you don't have a garage. I would probably not have recovery in your basement for a couple of reasons. The risk of spreading something to your inside cats and the stress outside cats can cause on the inside cats. I do recovery in the garage but you don't have a garage. Oftentimes at organizations like this there are people that help with recovery. And check the list that Alley Cat Allies has that might have people in your area. The people at the organization will do their best I am sure to help the situation. A lot of times it is hard because of time and space constraints but just try working with them and figuring it out. It is a process but you can figure it out. Just explain the situation and try to figure out what you can do and what they could help with.

If you want to run past your response feel free to message me or post it on here and I can have a look.

It is great that the organization sounds like they want to help. Fingers crossed that some progress can be made. Good luck!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I mean, the ones in the back, yeah, I'm sure I'm looking for them more now. But there have been two new ones on the porch as well. One being the orange and white and one being this tortoiseshell.

Lol. Yes. That's definitely me. I always walk past the front of the house and then go back and turn along side the house. I didn't want to just stop and watching the cats because that would be weird, but I'm pretty sure it would be fairly obvious I'm intentionally trying to not do that. But I do go a short ways down the street just to look out for any other cats.

So far there's only been one time the whistle would have been useful and I couldn't get to it. I also ended up losing it that day. I had to get a new one. That was when I had to wrestle a pitbull to keep him away from Stella. He didn't have an address, there was no way I was calling the number, and there was no one else around.

I'm sure I eat plenty of the boys' fur too, but I always find hers. Then again, that's probably because she's always in the kitchen with me and I end up petting her... We always joke that I should build an immunity to it on my own because I eat so much fur though.

I was worried about the risk of diseases as well. I don't think I could do it. Now, if I could come in contact with the caretaker and she'd be willing to help and keep them in the trap in her house, that could work. But I'm really confused. I've been trying to find prices for neutering ferals. The places I've looked at don't really mention different prices for ferals, but there have been other sites recommending those organizations that say it's like $20 for ferals. I could afford that for two or three cats or possibly even set up a GoFundMe, but I can't find official prices on the sites for ferals and I don't think I could do the recovery. The only way I can manage that is if the caretaker would keep them. I will go back through the list for Alley Cat Allies and maybe I'll try going out at different times to see if I can catch the caretaker. I'm not really comfortable with going up to the door and knocking. Not only does it make me anxious, but I also don't want to spook the cats. They obviously feel safe there and I don't want them to think that suddenly it's not safe because I invade their space. And I definitely don't want to accidentally make them feel trapped.

I still have to figure out exactly what I'm going to say since I'm trying to figure things out a bit more. I don't want to go into this thinking I can help if I can't, but I'd like to help if I could.

It does seem like they want to help and I guess the worst than can happen is the cats have to wait until May. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is interesting.

Hahahahaha. I don't think you will be working for spy agencies any time soon. :)

Isn't that the way it is???? Oh my, that was recent? Scary stuff.

Yes. I think it has built my immune system up. Let's hope yours as well.

The organization may have certain clinics that help with the cost. So they could help. And a lot of vets do give a discount for ferals. Also, the humane society may offer low cost spay/neuter. Or someone on the Alley Cat Allie list might be able to help. It tends to be some trial and error as you learn your area. As to going up to the door I would want you to be careful and know who is living there. Just for your personal safety. It would be best to have a professional and if not then see if they are outside and size them up and see how they might react. Some people are nice and others not. Just be careful.

That sounds good. You can always respond that you will be in touch shortly as you try to find out more information just so they know you are serious. I think if you explain you are new to this but want to help they will most likely help figure things out. In my experience people doing this tend to be really great people that want to help as many cats as possible.

Doing TNR anytime is great. Yes, immediate is best but May is better than 2020 etc.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. No, definitely no spy agencies for me.

Yep, that dog was the one who came up to us not that long ago. I think it's been a month or so now. Fortunately there's only one dog routinely left off leash (the cop's dog, ironically) and he's a gentle, old dog. I haven't seen him or the other two dogs in a while now though.

I hope so.

I am going to have to do some more digging. I might have to email one of the clinics to ask if they have cheaper prices for ferals. No one is making it very obvious. I'm not really used to this networking and contacting people stuff though. I'm usually trying to avoid communicating with others. It'll be good to get used to it though. I will certainly be careful though. I don't really have any intentions of going up to the door. Maybe if it gets to the point where there aren't any other options, but I'd rather not.

I did end up replying since I wanted to sort of keep the conversation moving in case she had any other advice or ideas. I mostly just said that I'd love to help, but I don't have the money or anywhere to keep the cats and I can keep an eye out for the caretaker, but don't really want to go up to the door since there's usually a cat or two there. I'm new to ferals and don't want to spook them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, me neither!!

Yes, I thought so. That was a and situation but you got through it well.

Agreed!! Allergies really are awful.

That is a good idea. Most vet clinics want to help ferals so they tend to discount. It depends on who owns it but a lot of vets are good about it and if you explain your financial situation and what you are trying to do it can help. It is good practice to get accustomed to speaking to people not known. You are obviously intelligent so you will do well. Just always know that oftentimes the other person isn't perfect either and most people are pretty nice. And if someone doesn't treat you well it is their problem, not yours. Yes, just be careful. I know you can handle whatever the situation will be.

Great, I think that is a good response. Then hopefully there will be aback and forth to figure out how to progress. Good job. I don't think the ferals wouldn't be spooked too badly but I still want you to be careful just because we don't know how lives there. Ferals are resilient thankfully.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was certainly not fun wrestling a pit bull. It wasn't fun the day after either. I was very sore.

Okay, I think we're finally getting somewhere. I got a response and was told that, if I could borrow some traps and do the trapping, they'd be able to keep the cats before and after the appointment as well as make the appointment. The county is apparently covering TNR for the time being and they can make sure that these cats fall under that program. They just wouldn't be able to come out and trap cats themselves until May. My dad has a trap, so I can ask to borrow that and see if I can borrow one from another organization. I'm going to keep an eye out for the caretaker, but if nothing else my brother lives across the street and I can ask if he'd let me set traps in his yard. I'm pretty sure he'd appreciate these cats getting neutered as well.

I did forget to ask if someone would be able to help me at first since I'm new to this. Whoops. I'll have to remember to ask next time. If not, I supposed I could go back the Alley Cat Allies list and see if anyone would be willing to help teach me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yes.

:yess::hyper::clapcat::purr::bliss::wow: This is GREAT!!! Really well done!! That sounds like a great plan. Trapping is a little tricky so you may need someone to show you how to do it. It is great that the county is covering the cost!! I love to hear that. That really helps solving the problems.

Ahhhhhhhh, you read my mind before I even got there. Yes. I am guessing they are really busy but maybe on the Alley Cat Allie list or we can see if there are some videos around. It is fairly easy. You cover the trap, put the food in the back of the trap. It is pretty easy to hook it up. BUT it is best to have someone show you. Then when they are trapped they can get pretty scared and wild and it is hard to see and to handle the trap while they are bouncing around. I so think it is best for someone to be there with you so you can learn in person how to do it. It is a little tricky.

But this is great.

Now the one thing you'll have to be careful with is how people in the area feel about this. Especially the person who's house they spend time at. To make sure they know you are helping the cats and not hurting them. Educating on TNR. All the benefits. Either Alley Cat Allies or the Humane Society of America have a really good paper about the benefits of TNR. It is tricky so having someone with knowledge to begin it is important.

Do you know if in May the county will still be covering the costs of TNR?

Once you see how they handle the situation and do it then you will be capable of handling it in the future.

Fantastic, I am really proud of you!!

Last edited:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I lucked out with since I don't have to worry about paying or having a place for recovery. I just have to look into getting traps. I'm sure it'll be a little awkward at first trying to get everything organized, but we'll figure it out.

I do want someone to help me the first time or two. It would help me feel better since I'm a nervous person and always worry about messing something up. It doesn't seem too difficult, but I worry anyways. Once I get everything figured out and I know I'm actually going through with this, I'll make a post in the Caring for Strays and Ferals forum.

I doubt most people will do anything. People in this town are the sort of people that prefer to look in the other direction and stay out of things. My biggest worry is the caretaker of the cats. I don't want a misunderstanding if I do go through with this without contacting them. I don't want her to think I'm doing anything to hurt them.

I'm not sure about that. The lady I've been talking to didn't specify how long they'd be doing it.

Thanks a lot. You've been a ton of help. Even just talking things through is of great help to me. I get overwhelmed very easily and tend to get stuck on one thing.

I did notice something I hadn't noticed before today. I only saw a few cats, one being inside. Two suddenly darted out from underneath the house. Turns out there's some sort of open area under there. I don't know how or why or how big it is. But I saw one of the cats get up on the porch and go inside through a cat door. I don't know how I missed that before, but these cats do have access to the inside of the house.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This organization is really good and sounds like it wants to make a difference. It is fantastic!!

It is tricky. It is best if you have someone "show you the ropes". If you want to post in the Feral section about being new to TNR I think that could be really helpful. People like shadowsrescue and others could really give some great insight into all the issues and challenges. If you do I will watch the post and add where necessary. Then the followup post is a good idea as well.

Yes, the caretaker is VERY important. It can be very personal so the more communication the better. But it can be a challenge. Some people can be very difficult, some really understanding. I have run into the whole gamut. It depends on so many things. That is why having someone with experience is a very good idea. Because you never know what you may be dealing with. I have had people say they want them intact and don't believe in neutering or spaying and I have had people that have told me they want them all dead (which never solves the feral cat problem because other ones fill the void). Most people are good and want the best but there are always people on the fringes. Just be careful.

Yes, that is one of the challenges since we need the help on the cost. You may want to ask at some point.

You are welcome. Thank you!! You are doing the real work. Yes, talking through things is very helpful.

Oh wow!! That may make it a little different situation. Do you think the person might be a cat hoarder? Maybe the cats have a device that only allows certain cats to enter (collar, chips) but I am wondering if any cat can come in which makes it more concerning. I think you should mention this to the organization (just make sure that what you think is there - a cat door - is there). It is normal for cats to be under decks, porches, etc. I am worried about the number of cats (potentially) and the fact it looks like they have access to the inside of the house. This could be more than ferals outside. You may want to make a special post about this and see what others say. This makes it a bit trickier on a few fronts.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they definitely seem to want to help.

I'll create a thread there. Probably not today, but soon. And I will certainly do what I can to get someone to help me at first. I know I'd like to have someone there.

Yeah, and I'm not all that great at communication to begin with. I don't want to mess anything up. I would love to have someone else help with getting in contact with the caretaker, but if I see her outside I'll try to find out more.

I've actually considered the possibility of this being a case of hoarding. The cats are all relatively tame, but not completely tame, so they definitely aren't getting a ton of human contact, but they are getting some. I had considered it before that maybe it was a hoarder getting the cats neutered as pets rather than as ferals which would explain the lack of ear tip. But of course now we're thinking they might not be neutered at all. I don't know though. It seems weird that they have access to the inside, but have food, water, and a box on the front porch. I thought it was odd that it was on the front when I realized cats were living in the back. Seems like it would be safer to put that all back there. I don't think it's a cat door with the chip. I haven't seen any collars on any of the cats and it doesn't look like anything fancy. It blends right into the side of the house. And right after I noticed that cat go in, I saw a little dilute tortoiseshell face in the window. I think it was the small tortie I saw by the stairs outside the other day. I will mention it to the organization.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is fantastic. I am so glad to hear it. They seems really helpful and willing.

Sounds good. I think that is a good idea.

I think you are a lot better at communication that you think. Sure, on here maybe you can think about it a bit longer but you achieve great communication. If you can do it here you can do it anywhere and the more practice you get the better you will be at it. Don't think negatively. Don't worry about "messing up". Think that you will do great (which I think you will). It is like when you place yourself in between your cats and you pick up Ember. You don't think about "messing up" you are confident you can ease the tensions. And you succeed. That confidence is why. Now I wish you would be more cautious in those instances but you do it. I guess I have no doubt about your abilities to achieve what you put your mind to. Just make small steps to build that confidence. I don't think you will mess up. Sometimes we stumble on words or forget our point but just take a deep breathe and gather your thoughts. We all go through those fears but I know you can overcome them. You have so much intelligence and ability and desire. I hope you can see in yourself what I have seen in you for a long while on here.

It sounds like it may be more complex than originally thought. :( Mentioning all this to the organization is a good idea. And you may want to start a post in the Feral section about this. I have never dealt with a situation like this so getting some experts that have is a good idea.

Do you have any idea who lives in the house? Have you ever seen anyone?

I am scared it may be a more complex situation but let's hope I am wrong.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can be very awkward with people, especially people I don't know. I don't communicate enough, so there are situations that I really just don't know how to respond. I'm not really good at keeping a conversation going a lot of times. I can talk about cats all day long, but other subjects can be harder. And of course my anxiety makes things seem worse than they actually are. Cat fights are probably easier for me to handle than a conversation, to be honest. I'm more familiar with cats and their language than I am with my own species and there's really no time to think. I do better in situations where I have to react fast. I've already been given too much time to think about talking to this lady! But you are right. I need to be careful of what I say so I don't accidentally offend this person or anything, but I don't need to worry about messing up as much as I do. Encouragement is always helpful and I appreciate it.

I did send an email about the cat door. I'll post in the Ferals section as well.

I've never seen the person who lives there. I've seen a light on in the house once and there's a white van parked on the side of the road next to the house pretty much every day, which is a bit odd since I don't recall seeing it there that often before. I'm going to see if I can catch my brother on one of his days off to talk to him. We've talked to him about the cats a little before, but he hasn't said much on it. I want to know if he's seen the person who lives there and if he's noticed the population of cats increasing, if he's ever seen kittens.

Well, we're going to try to figure it out and get the situation fixed no matter what it turns out to be. For the time being, it's comforting to know that the cats seem well fed and are at least mostly healthy. They have shelter from the weather as well. They could be in a worse situation.