Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes sense.

Oh, I know the feeling. I do the same and worry. Hahahaha, maybe we are too attached to them. But I think it is just caring about them and love. Just wanting the best for them so when it is different we worry something is wrong. But I think it is actually a good sign they feel comfortable but of course there could always be something wrong. Never easy.

I just wonder if that is how it has been (though maybe a touch less now). think you would have noticed also. One would think she would be grooming excessively or scratching, rubbing etc if it was bothering her. Sometimes when they lay on parts of their body it can get that way. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Yeah, I thought it might be that. Technology is nice but sometimes it goofs up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's entirely possible I'm too attached, but then I don't really care. Though, admittedly, part of it is just that I like having Ember with me and enjoy our nightly routine. I do think I worry about changes in their routine more though because I'm obsessed with routines as well, so I know how they feel and it concerns me when they do something different. And of course it seems like everything happens on top of each other, so I'm never sure if it's separate things or if they're related. Ember did come to bed a little earlier last night. Not quite on time, but closer.

Well, I know for a fact she had fur down there. It's possible it was a little shorter, but I honestly doubt it. That area had(has) her biggest white spot, so it's always stood out a bit when she rolled over. But it is strange that there haven't been any signs as to what happened or why it happened. She's groomed the area some, but I haven't seen any signs of her pulling fur out. And then there's the fact that the fur is just gone. Like it never existed to begin with. It's concerning that she might've eaten that much fur.

That it most definitely does. The tablet is a bit old as far as technology goes. It doesn't seem like anything is made to last.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get a sense you are too attached. I think it would be obvious if you were. I think you love her and care for her which is healthy and great.

Yes, routines are important and watching any changes is important. Usually when there is an issue then other behavioral things show up. So it is corroboration which is also important. It does seem like everything does happen all at once. Happens all the time. But seeing how they react after is really important in my opinion. I don't get a sense Ember is having any issues but of course I am not there but I do trust your opinion. I get a sense it is more independence driven which I take as a positive.

Hmmmmmmm. I am surprised there haven't been any signs. I would guess if she ingested the fur she would either throw it up or you would see it in the litter box. It seems like it would be a fair amount of fur that would have to go somewhere.

Sometimes technology is just not as smart as the person despite what people want to say. I have never had a tablet so I don't really know much about how they work.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it doesn't really matter. It's pretty relative anyway. By a lot of people's standards, I probably am too attached. But to the people who feel the same way, I'm probably not. I am more attached than even I expected though. I didn't think I was going to get a relationship so different than my relationship with the boys though it's not quite as different now as it was.

I also thought about the fact that she recently lost weight quite suddenly, but I don't think that's close enough to be related. I just thought of how surprised I was when I realized she lost that much weight and it had even crossed my mind that maybe something was wrong with her to cause it, but there hadn't been any other signs. And then this happened. But I don't think something could be wrong for that long and have no other obvious symptoms.

Yeah, we were expected a hairball or some sign she ate the fur. She did have her first hairball just a little while ago, but not one since this fur went missing. It seems weird saying "fur went missing," but that's exactly what seems to have happened. It went missing. I can't imagine how she would have eaten that much fur. She sheds some pretty dense furs. Not like Frost's silky fur. And there's not much fur left.

Tablets aren't all that complicated. Their like smartphones in the amount of buttons, the keyboard, and the touch screen, but otherwise act like a computer. It's a nice in-between for when my phone is too small, but I don't feel like getting my laptop out.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is wonderful and I am glad you have Ember (and the boys) and Ember (and the boys) have you.

It was a little while ago that she lost weight, right? And you were trying to get her to lose weight. It could be linked but she didn't seem to have any other symptoms as you mention. Usually there would be some other signs but I guess there could be something going on without it being obvious. Next time she is in for her shots etc I would have the vet have a look. Are there any ideas on the other thread?

Hmmmmmm. Did you notice an uptick in fur around the house at all? I am surprised it hasn't grown back since it is winter time. I would keep an eye on her and watch for any issues. I just don't know enough about what might cause it. :(

That is pretty cool. Sounds pretty nice and convenient.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I have Ember (and the boys too) as well. They mean a lot to me and I owe a lot to them. They've taught me a lot. If anyone asks who my mentor is I'll have to say my cats.

Well, I don't know why she stopped her nightly routine, but she seems to be back on schedule now.

Yeah, it was at least a few weeks ago. Maybe a month. I had been working on getting her to lose weight for a long time, so it was surprising that she did all of a sudden when I hadn't changed anything. No other ideas. I only got two replies.

Nope. We've even been looking at every tuft we find, but it's all too light/too long/banded instead of solid or half-and-half. I'm pretty familiar with their hairs and can identify most of the hairs I find. Ember pretty much only sheds black or half red and half white hairs or sometimes denser gray hairs that I think might be her undercoat. The boys shed hair two or three times the length of hers and only Ash sheds light gray or black and white banded hairs.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. I actually feel the same way. Pretty awesome!!

Because she is a cat. Hahahaha. But seriously, who knows but it is nice she is back to her routine. I take it as a positive.

Hmmmmmmm. It is tricky so I am not surprised that the replies are few. I would just keep watching her for any negative changes. Do you know if thyroid issues cause hair loss?

Hmmmmmmmmm. If it is coming out it has to go somewhere............. The only explanation is she would ingest it but they usually either hair ball it or pass it. I would see if there is evidence in her litter box. Unless she digests her hair which I guess is possible but I don't know.

Never a dull moment.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have to give credit to my rats too. They taught me a lot as well.

Yep, that's pretty much my answer to everything to they do. I'm just glad she's back on schedule. It's amazing how I got so used to having her there.

I am keeping an eye on her. I feel like I'm pretty attune to her and her behaviors, so I'll be able to notice any changes. I did a brief search in thyroid issues and I don't think that's it. It's definitely not hypothyroidism because that's lethargy, weight gain, and loss of appetite. I considered hyperthyroidism. It's symptoms include weight loss(she did lose weight but doesn't seem to have continued to), increase in activity(I did notice she was having "crazy" moments more often, and has been playing pretty quite a bit, but it's still back and forth), and an increased appetite(I don't believe she has this, but it wouldn't be impossible to miss since she does love her food). However, only one of the sites I looked at briefly mentioned shedding as symptom, so I didn't get the feeling that a massive amount of sudden hair loss was common. She also doesn't have the greasy, unkept, clumpy fur or anything else it mentioned.

I even thought about the vent. She's been lying by the vent a lot lately, but don't think that could be it either. She doesn't lie directly on it for it to effect the fur on her stomach.

No hairballs and I haven't noticed any excessive amount of fur in the litterbox either. Maybe she's just had so much practice eating the boys' fur she's a pro... Her fur is pretty sleek compared to Ash's dense coat. Her fur is probably easy after all of his fur she's eaten. And still eats.

No! Never. Today Ash had poop stuck to him. Had to pull it out and it was stuck. Really didn't want to come out. I accidently pulled some fur with it and felt bad. He really freaked out. Then I noticed his butt seem puffy and red and the anal glands looked like they were big again. Thought we were going to be taking him to the vet. We gave him some calming/pain relieving medicine so we could cut fur off and get a better look and it looks much better. We're thinking he might've been a bit constipated and had trouble going.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very cool.

Yes, I think for all of us to be honest. It is good that she is back on schedule but they do shift it around at times. I know, it really does feel different when they aren't there.

Yes, you would notice any changes. That is good to hear. It doesn't sound like her thyroid. Maybe an allergy? Did you change soaps at all? Or floor cleaning products? Maybe there is something she is laying on that causes a little something (though one would think the skin would be irritated).

Interesting. Maybe it is warm and maybe her body then sheds or thins the hair? I wonder.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe she just digests it really good. Oh my. A pro.............

Nope. Oh no, poor Ash. I know how hard it is. He was probably straining. :( Sometimes when it is winter and the heat is on more it gets drier and they don't drink enough. It happens. Just try to make sure he is getting enough liquids whether water or wet food. Poor guy.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's awful when they change their routine. Especially the nightly routine. I used to not be able to sleep with them at all. I finally got used to it, but they don't sleep with me during the summer, so then I have to get used to not having them just to readjust to having them in the winter again.

Can't think of any changes that would align with the fur loss. Maybe an allergy, but don't know to what. It would have had to have been over the weekend while I was gone too, because I never noticed any changes in her behavior. None of them have had baths in a while. I have used a new body wash, but only twice, so not when she lost fur. The floors are probably due to be cleaned again, but haven't been in a little while now. Just vacuumed. I can't think of anything she'd be laying on now that she wasn't before.

That was what I thought, but would it effect her stomach if she doesn't lay on it? She's usually right next to it, almost on it, but it seems like it would effect her side or chest rather than her stomach. Unless perhaps is just the heat in general. She always lays with her paws under her and I think I read they do that because their feet put off more body heat? Then maybe she's overheating herself a bit by laying on her feet as well as next to the vent? It seems like a bit of an over the top reaction, but that's all I've got at the moment.

I guess. She did throw up today, but no hairball. Mostly just fluid with a tiny clump of fur that looked suspiciously like Ash's... Not sure if I should be worried.

It was awful. He does get almost entirely wet food, but I'm thinking about adding a bit of water to it as well to make sure he gets enough.

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are still looking for fun play...

My cats love it when the prey hides from them. We play various versions of "the feather game". I have a big turkey feather, and I hide the feather under paper or under a blanket, then wiggle it a tiny bit, occasionally poking the tip of the feather out. The cats are totally transfixed by the prey hiding, and the soft rustling and scratching noises of the prey. We play the feather game on the cat tower too--I make the feather hide behind various perches, then poke out and tease them.

My cats also love "the straw game". I go into the bathroom, close the door (with the cats outside the bathroom), and I stick a plastic drinking straw under the door, move the straw in and out and back and forth, so that the cats can see the tip of the straw poking out from under the door.

Making-the-bed game: My cats can't resist a bed being made, especially when the flat sheet is being flapped in the air and draped over the bed. Always end up with a cat lump under the sheet!

Boxes and Paper: Of course you know cats love hiding in cardboard boxes, and if you tape the box shut and cut out some cat-sized holes, even better. My cats also like that heavy brown Kraft paper, the kind that is used for packing material. They like to hide under it, leap on it, rip it up, etc.

As for store-bought toys: My cats love "Da Bird" stick toy and the Neko flies. I also have these pom-pom balls that are lightweight and one of my cats likes to play fetch with them, and carry them around the house.

Last edited:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are still looking for fun play...

My cats love it when the prey hides from them. We play various versions of "the feather game". I have a big turkey feather, and I hide the feather under paper or under a blanket, then wiggle it a tiny bit, occasionally poking the tip of the feather out. The cats are totally transfixed by the prey hiding, and the soft rustling and scratching noises of the prey. We play the feather game on the cat tower too--I make the feather hide behind various perches, then poke out and tease them.

My cats also love "the straw game". I go into the bathroom, close the door (with the cats outside the bathroom), and I stick a plastic drinking straw under the door, move the straw in and out and back and forth, so that the cats can see the tip of the straw poking out from under the door.

Making-the-bed game: My cats can't resist a bed being made, especially when the flat sheet is being flapped in the air and draped over the bed. Always end up with a cat lump under the sheet!

Boxes and Paper: Of course you know cats love hiding in cardboard boxes, and if you tape the box shut and cut out some cat-sized holes, even better. My cats also like that heavy brown Kraft paper, the kind that is used for packing material. They like to hide under it, leap on it, rip it up, etc.

As for store-bought toys: My cats love "Da Bird" stick toy and the Neko flies. I also have these pom-pom balls that are lightweight and one of my cats likes to play fetch with them, and carry them around the house.

Haha, thanks. My cats would probably like the feather and straw game if I could get them to stick around long enough to watch. Sometimes they just refuse to even look though!

I, too, usually end up with a moving lump or two on my bed when I make it. Makes it pretty difficult to finish putting stuff back on the bed because I can't completely straighten the sheets out.

We had a big box laying around before that the cats loved. My mom cut a hole in it and set it up for them and they hardly used it after that. I haven't tried the paper though. I could try that, but probably wouldn't want to leave it out. I have two cats who had a tendency to eat things.

I got Da Bird and, unfortunately, my cats weren't very interested in it. They preferred the $2 rainbow ribbon toy from Amazon. And shoe laces. Figures. I haven't heard of Neko flies though. Might be worth looking into.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's awful when they change their routine. Especially the nightly routine. I used to not be able to sleep with them at all. I finally got used to it, but they don't sleep with me during the summer, so then I have to get used to not having them just to readjust to having them in the winter again.

Can't think of any changes that would align with the fur loss. Maybe an allergy, but don't know to what. It would have had to have been over the weekend while I was gone too, because I never noticed any changes in her behavior. None of them have had baths in a while. I have used a new body wash, but only twice, so not when she lost fur. The floors are probably due to be cleaned again, but haven't been in a little while now. Just vacuumed. I can't think of anything she'd be laying on now that she wasn't before.

That was what I thought, but would it effect her stomach if she doesn't lay on it? She's usually right next to it, almost on it, but it seems like it would effect her side or chest rather than her stomach. Unless perhaps is just the heat in general. She always lays with her paws under her and I think I read they do that because their feet put off more body heat? Then maybe she's overheating herself a bit by laying on her feet as well as next to the vent? It seems like a bit of an over the top reaction, but that's all I've got at the moment.

I guess. She did throw up today, but no hairball. Mostly just fluid with a tiny clump of fur that looked suspiciously like Ash's... Not sure if I should be worried.

It was awful. He does get almost entirely wet food, but I'm thinking about adding a bit of water to it as well to make sure he gets enough.
Yep, I know exactly what you go through. So true.

Doesn't sound like anything there or obvious. :/ Hmmmmmmm.

Well, the heat could be trapped on her stomach. Maybe she gets warm and then goes somewhere else and her stomach is on the blanket, or bedding, etc. I think your theory could be likely. I think this could still be the cause. Keep an eye on this.

Maybe she is trying to get something out. I would think she will throw up again and maybe a few times more to try to get it out. Keep an eye on her. Did you see her do it or did you just find it?

Yes. I think that is a good idea just to get a bit more liquid into him. It is hard because it is so dry out.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll keep an eye out. Doesn't seem like she's losing any more fur though. It can be hard to tell, but I've been trying to check on it every so often to make sure there isn't a change. But perhaps she laid on the vent more while I was gone since I wasn't there? She will lay with my mom, but not as often and my mom oftentimes gets up soon after.

No more vomiting from Ember so far. I did see her do it, so it was definitely her. Ash threw up today though. Mostly fluid, but with some fur. Just not much for him. It was also brownish rather than the usual clear/yellowish fluid, but I'm think that's just from food?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good. I do wonder if it has something to do with being warm. Almost like a summer shed thing. Just keep an eye on it and see if there is any change etc.

That is good about Ember. When she threw up did it look strained or did it look pretty normal? :( Poor Ash. Pretty similar to Ember except for the color? The brownish could be from food. If it happens often then something might be going on. It doesn't sound too worrying at this point but keep an eye on them.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be watching her for sure. I have seen her grooming the area fairly often lately, but no signs of the fur coming out and it still doesn't seem obsessive or anything.

It seemed pretty normal. Took a couple of tries for her to get it all up, but I've seen Ash have a harder time with hairballs. They were actually similar in color, but Ash had more fur. They both seem alright other than Ash is being a crab currently. He's on my lap and he's been using some nasty language when I move. He even bit me once. He hasn't done that since the last time I posted about it. I don't think it's pain related as it doesn't seem to correlate to his back end being messed with at all and I got him on a different medicine. Just a mix of glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid that was in the house, but it seems to be helping more than the glucosamine alone. I haven't had any issues with brushing his legs since putting him on it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More so than she was grooming that area before? Or do you think you are just more focused on it so it seems like she is possibly doing it more?

That is good. As long as it isn't different then it isn't worrisome.

Hmmmmm, sounds like Ash just wants you and doesn't want to share. Sounds exactly like before and it doesn't sound pain related which is great. In fact, it is great to hear he doesn't mind his back legs being brushed. Fantastic!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's sort of weird. When I first noticed the missing fur, I tried keeping a close eye on her to see if she was grooming that area, but I almost never saw her do that. I would say it was closer to her avoiding it than being obsessive with it, though I did see her groom the area and around it a couple of times, so I wouldn't say she was actually avoiding it. The last few days she's been grooming that area more often, but I wouldn't say it's beyond a normal amount.

It's definitely a relief to be able to brush Ash's back legs without worrying about being slapped or bitten. He's enjoying the brushing like he did before getting arthritis. It's a bit of a pain having him telling me off every time I move though.

Oh, yeah. We ordered these mice things that you put food in and we're giving them a small(very small in Ember's case) snack in the afternoon. Today is just the second day of using the mice and there was one day I just set the trainer out for them to mess with. Ember empties hers out very quickly. Frost is a bit slower, but I also give him the most since he could put on some weight. Ash though... He's just rotten. The first day I put Ember in my room, but left the boys out. Ash wouldn't touch his. Frost ended up cleaning his own out and then getting the food out of Ash's and Ash would just slip up and still a few pieces when Frost would get some out. To be honest, I'm not sure if this makes him the least intelligent or the most intelligent. Today I put Frost in my mom's room though so they all had their own spaces. Ash still wouldn't touch it though and I had to put the food in the trainer which is ridiculously easy. Then he ate it. He's such a brat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. Doesn't sound like anything obvious. :/

That is really great. I am so glad he is accepting the brushing. Hahahaha, yeah. My sister's cat is always telling her off and slapping her so Ash isn't too bad. And my girl told off my other cat during love last night. Then I had to tell off my girl. There is always something.

Hahahahaha, too funny. Isn't that the way they are???? Ash............. Hahahahaha.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's certainly not very obvious, unfortunately.

Cats. They can be ridiculous little creatures. Frost always tells me off for kicking him out of the pantry. And he tells Ember off for trying to play with him. I feel kind of bad for Ember because they used to play, but now he's such a crab. And her relationship with Ash still isn't quite the same as it had been though it is better. But Frost has been bugging Ash to play more lately. Figures.

Yep. They're brats. I'm hoping Ash will take to the mouse feeder eventually though. I might be weird, but I don't like things to be unequal. It would be unfair if I gave the other two a snack and not him, but it's also unfair if he has to work less for his snack than they do. Though it doesn't seem all that hard for the other two.