Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!!! Maybe mine does as well. Maybe the experts are wrong? He does have good taste though..........................

It can be a way to release energy as well as you point out. It could be a way to get attention.

Maybe it is a community cat bowl were they all eat or drink from.

Yes, and it can be incremental. Where you observe and learn and then do more later on. Some vet clinics do spay/neuter for deeply discounted and even sometimes for free. And some non-profits help out as well. As you get more into it you will learn more about the options. I am guessing that group has some kind of fundraising.

I think all cats have issues at some point. It does sound like Ash has gotten a bit more mischievous. It might be a sign he is feeling more comfortable and trusting around her. He is still good to her so I take it as ok. And she seems to be handling it fine as well. Of course in the moment it can feel different.

It could have been just the weight of the curtains that finally broke it (after Ash did a little damage to it). I would have thought Frost would have been "amped up" if he did it.

Hmmmmmmmm. Doesn't necessarily sound like his arthritis is bothering him if he is jumping on the counters and you could brush him. Sometimes cats do get grumpy for some reason. He could just not like the colder temps or it getting darker sooner now. It could be so many things but it does happen. And then when we notice it we can tend to see it more often as we are looking for it. I would keep an eye on him. It sounds like he can jump fine and has a good appetite so it doesn't seem like anything obvious is wrong. Let me know if you see anything else that is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe. I know Ember's brother definitely loved watermelon. And now Ash with his sweets... I think Ember likes butter. She's tried to take a bit out of my corn before and I only let her because I didn't think she'd want it. She also likes rolls.

We got more cat scratchers. We got a corrugated cardboard that's slanted and a triangular scratcher with a softer material. My ottoman is surrounded. I haven't seen him scratching it since, but I haven't seen him scratch any of the scratchers either. Like he decided it was too much work to get to the ottoman so he's just not going to scratch anything.

I had that thought too, but I can't imagine that many cats sharing that one bowl. It's a normal, if fairly large, steel dog bowl. It's deep, but not very wide. Maybe two cats could eat from it at a time. So far I've only seen one cat there though. The same cat. I'm not sure if it's just someone with an outdoor cat or if they're actually feeding ferals.

Yes, I like to learn as much as I can before doing anything. However, I'd also like to start TNR by this spring before there are a bunch of kittens, so I need to start figuring things out sooner rather than later.

Sometimes it feels like Ash is finally going through his teen phase. None of my cats ever went through that. Now I feel for the people who've actually dealt with it. We even got plastic carpet runners with the spikes on the bottom which I was nervous about since I don't want to hurt them, but we put them on the counters with the spikes up and Ash isn't bothered by them. But, yes, everything seems to be going well enough.

I would have though Frost would have had to be as well, but he was suspiciously calm... We'll likely never know though. It doesn't seem like he would have done it, but I can't guarantee he didn't either.

I did worry about his arthritis because my mom's had been bothering her really bad I thought it could be the weather, but it seemed odd that he'd let me brush his legs and jump on the counters if it was really bothering him. Of course, I saw him on the cat tree not long after posting, so he made a liar out of me, but he still hasn't been on them as much as usual. I will keep an eye on him.

I got them two new wand toys for Christmas. One is a cheap blue feather toy that's really light weight. The other is a Jackson Galaxy toy with a "snake" attachment though it looks more like a worm. Both were big hits among all three cats for the first day. Yeah. Day. Ash was already uninterested in the feather toy last night (I was at my dad's for Christmas so last night was the second day I used to the new toys). He did play with the snake toy when I dragged it across the hardwood and tiles floors though. Ember really liked the feather toy.

Stella got a couple new toys as well. One was torn up the same day she got it.

I did lock the cats up in my room for Christmas Eve when I celebrated with my mom. I didn't want to, but Ash has been causing too much trouble lately. We were having people over and there was no way we could pick food up immediately or keep a close enough eye on him to make sure he wasn't on the counters. I could have locked him in the storage room, but there's no heat out there. I couldn't lock Ember out of my room because that's her safe place and she would have spent most of the time in there anyway. So all three of them got locked up. I put catnip down, brought all their new toys in and played with them. Then I gave them treats, put treats around the room, and put treats in their dispenser and in the dog's new dispenser. I also went into there for a bit during the time no one was there and Frost I let out eventually since my brother's girlfriend's daughter wanted to see them. Once the food was put up, I opened the door. And Ash got to play with bubbles.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watermelon? Too funny. My one cat LOVES rolls. We have to keep them secured, she will even open the cabinets to get to rolls.

That is great. I am surprised he hasn't used them yet. Maybe your theory is right, he thinks it is too much work to get to that ottoman. Let me know if he uses them.

They could take turns eating if they leave the food out (or water). It is hard to know if it is their cat or a feeding ferals.

Yes, times of year are important. That is a good plan hopefully it is possible.

Yep, it is fun times. I know it can be frustrating but as long as he doesn't get hurt he hopefully will get out of it soon and behave more. I am not surprised he wasn't bothered by the carpet. Knowing my cats they would probably like it more. That was good thinking though. I am glad things are going well though.

It is hard to know. Yes, Frost would have probably reacted differently. I think it probably was damaged at another time and then it just finally had the weight cause it to fall.

Yes, when it gets cold and damp it can act up. And if your mom was feeling it then I would have thought he would too but the actions don't support it. It could be he saw an animal outside a few times, things like that. Hahahaha, yep, they will do something after we say that aren't doing it. Sometimes they do get bored with something and/or they find somewhere else.

That is cool. I know the "snake" one and feathers are always great. Remember it is often more the movement than the toy itself so try to make it act like prey. Yep, we have all been there with toys for a day. BUT the good news is they can be brought out later and it is like new. Just keep trying and make sure you make it move like prey. Get them to lock on it then pounce. Make it hide and go around corners and halting movements and different speed movements. Think like a mouse or a bird or a bug.

Hahahaha sounds like my dogs. They would be destroyed in an hour.

That sounds like it worked out well. It is hard with the holidays and people coming over. So Ember was in there with Ash and Frost? If so that tells us they are fine. Sounds like Ash is really energetic and playful. Playing with the bubbles is great.

It sounds like you are doing a great job. Well done!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. He had an obsession with it. When his new owners were updating us, they said he'd come running from the other side of the house when they got a watermelon out and they had to give him his own bowl. Ember has reached over from the top of a cat tree to nibble on a crescent roll that I was eating.

I will. Frost likes the slanted cardboard one and Ember likes getting in the triangular one. The slanted one came with three, but the third one is so tiny it's more kitten-sized. I put them in two different spots and all three have scratched on the one not next to the ottoman.

I actually walked by there today and realized there's a plate up there that had food piled up on it. It was definitely more than enough for one cat even if it lasted all day and it hadn't looked like it was touched when I past it.

I hope so too. I want to be able to help, but I know I can't pay for it.

I worry about him getting hurt though because he's proven he'll walk across the stove to get to food and he's also proven he'll eat things that can make him sick. And we can't afford a vet trip, now more than ever.

I would have thought his arthritis would act up too and there were signs that pointed to it, but of course there were signs that didn't. I've no idea with him.

That snake one is weird. It's kind of hard to move it at all because it sticks to the floor a little. It doesn't slide well. I thought it would move differently since it has different sections, but overall it's rather stiff. I like the feathers. They're so light that they're easy to make flutter in the air and they work well on the ground as well since it sort of glides over the ground.

We always get the indestructible, the super tough, the for heavy chewers, the double stitched, in hopes it'll last longer. I consider it a success if it lasts three days.

Yes, they were all in there and they all did fine.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is interesting. Ember sounds like one of mine, mine does that all the time. She thinks what is mine is hers (and maybe just hers).

That is really good they like it. At least they are probably not scratching on the ottoman.

They probably feed the ferals then. A lot of people do. Hopefully they have spayed and neutered but not everyone knows about that or can afford it.

Hopefully the organization can help with that. There are many organizations that are supported by people who don't actually do the TNR. Keep looking for any in your area.

I know, that is the worry. It is hard though to prevent everything. Cats are smart though so his instinct should protect him combined with any efforts to keep him from doing bad things and hopefully that will keep him safe.

It sounds like his arthritis is doing well for now at least. Let's hope it continues.

I know what you mean but sometimes that halting movement can really be interesting to a cat. Just keep watching how they respond and keep trying to get them locked on it. Feathers are always great.

Hahahahaha, yep. I know exactly what it is like. 3 days is unheard of here!!!

FANTASTIC!!! That is success!! Well done!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. Ember doesn't think what's mine is hers. She knows it's hers. There's no question about that.

Yeah, still haven't seen him scratch on the alternatives much, but he isn't scratching the ottoman either, so I guess that's a victory.

I think that's what it is. I saw three cats run into the bushes of that house when I went to my brothers. One of them could have been the I've seen on the porch, but I'm not sure. I've also seen a black cat and a different tabby in the area. And there's the orange tabby I saw in the past.

I hope they can too.

Well, his instincts didn't keep him from eating a sugar cookie... Though nothing bad came of it, so I guess his instincts were right.

Things have been getting bad between Ash and Ember the past few days. Well, bad for them that is. And mostly in how loud is, really. I think Ash has gone back to going after her. It was a lot easier when he just ran, I have to admit. Two nights before tonight was the first bad one. Ember was by the dining room table, Ash blocking her way to my room. She could have gotten away under the table, but she would have had to turn her back on him. I have noticed that she'll stay put if getting away means turning her back. I broke it up, gave them treats, sat with them for a few minutes, and went back to bed. They went at it again. Broke it up, gave treats, and brought Ember to my room and shut the door.

Last night I heard this horrible shrieking noise. Very, very loud. Definitely Ember. I don't know why I know, but I do. I went out and she was actually on her side under the chair. There's bars across the legs of the chairs so it's impossible for them to stand under there. Ash was by the chair staring at her. I honestly have no idea how she would have ended up under there unless she had already been there and Ash went after her, but I've never known him to start the fight. I got it broken up, gave some treats, and just went ahead and brought Ember into my room for the night. It seems like if there's one fight, there'll always be a second and, honestly, it's terrifying. The more trapped Ember gets, the louder she gets and it scares me. And I've been strapping my door to my closet door to keep it mostly shut since I hate having it open and only leave it open for them, but that means it's harder for me to get out.

Tonight I heard two sharp hisses and went out there. Ember was tense. Don't know why. There hadn't been any noise prior to the hissing. I went and petted Ash, Ember went up and sniffed him. Everything seemed fine. She was still a bit tense, but it was no longer aimed towards Ash. She let me pet her. Then she tensed up again and charged him, but I called her and she stopped before making contact. That happened again, still no contact. I tried getting her to play and she went at him. They slapped each other then she stopped, hissed, and walked away. I brought her into my room and shut the door to play with her. I let her out a few minutes after playing with her (just now actually) and she got tense. Her tail was lashing, but she walked past Ash without hesitation and looked around a bit before sitting down less than a foot away from him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the delay, I haven't felt too well the last few days.

Hahahaha, yep, sounds like mine. Mine decided to help her self to my lunch today. That is funny she KNOWS. Too funny and so true.

Hmmmmm, interesting. Yes, I would call it a victory.

That makes sense.

I think they probably can or if not now some time in the future. I think it is pretty hard right now to be raising money.

I think they know. Honestly, my girl has gotten into sugary things a lot and she has been fine. BUT I wouldn't suggest a cat eats sugary stuff. But I agree with you.

WOW, I am surprised. When that happens try to get Ash to break the focus on her. I am guessing Ember is showing some insecurity and therefore vulnerability and Ash then sees that as weakness and more prey like. In a situation like that try to distract to break the focus (especially Ash's). It will give Ember confidence. And feeding treats together is a good way to build their confidence and trust as you did. Do you think Ash just wanted to play? I do find it bothersome that Ember doesn't want to turn her back on him. :(

How did she act after the shriek? That is strange. I wonder what happened. He could have just surprised her or the chair moved etc. Hmmmmmmm. I wonder why things are getting a bit more wild lately.

Well, there goes my post of 2 paragraphs ago. Sounds like Ember is pretty confident if she charged him. BUT then she sits next to him. If things seem really really tense just hang with them, don't play or anything just get them to decompress.

Really work hard on getting them to be near each other but focused on treats some of the time but also just anything but each other. So what I do is I get one and then call the other one over and pet, rub, get them focused on that and not each other but have them near each other so they can see each other, smell each other, etc. The goal is to have them together without anything negative. Getting them to look away. BUT only do this if you are not at risk of being hurt in anyway. The key is really to show them they can look away and the other one will not attack or hurt them in anyway. I am not sure if I am explaining this real well so please ask any questions about it.

I wonder why they are on edge with each other lately. Any ideas? Is the household a bit more stressful? It does happen around the holidays. I know my ferals are really defensive with this occasional feral that comes over but I can't figure out why they have changed. I am guessing they are worried because the weather is getting harder for them so they worry about their food source even thought hey shouldn't.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fine, don't worry about it. It's not like I haven't disappeared for a couple of days and with less reason.

Ember actually stayed hidden while I was eating dinner. Skipped out on possible sausage, but came out when my mom was eating corn. Weird cat.

I found cat tape on the top of the fridge when I was cleaning it today. Unopened. I don't remember us ever getting any.

I'm sure it's always tough being able to keep up with that.

Some might. But then Frost goes and eats plastic or plants time and time again despite throwing it up each and every time he does it. One might think he'd learn. But then, we're fortunate he throws it up pretty quickly afterwards.

I always try to get them to move away from each other. For the most part, stepping between them does the trick. I don't like going to get treats or a toy or anything until they're apart because I don't want them to go after each other. Separating them even for a moment gives me a chance to get the treats. I honestly have no idea what happened. Ash could have tried playing and Ember took it too serious or Ember could have tried playing and Ash took it too serious. I've seen what I believe was the latter. I'd say Ember has pretty good reason not to turn her back. I mean, if the positions were reversed and Ash turned his back, she'd certainly go after him. And the one time she tried running from him he went after her.

Well, she was really tense while she was stuck under the chair. Once she was out and I had treats, everything was mostly fine. However, I didn't leave them to go at it again.

I haven't noticed any signs of her feeling particularly insecure or vulnerable. Of course, there's the usual things like lashing out at Ash if he shows any signs of aggression whatsoever (he got a chicken treat earlier and growled over it and she went at him, slapping him a few times) and running at any loud noises, but she seems to be doing well all things considered.

Hmm... I'm not sure. No stress with me at least. My mom maybe. The boys getting sick and then Christmas coming right after kind of killed us financially, but we're managing. I'm trying (and failing) to work out a new routine since I'm now home pretty much all day every day except when I go to my dad's.

I did get a pet camera for Christmas and want to have it set up at night so I can see how the fights start, but last night was the first night I was able to use it and, of course, there wasn't a problem. Ember stayed with me pretty much the entire night.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am still not feeling well but a little better today.

Really? Interesting. I am surprised.

Well that is good. You can see how it feels and see if it is something you want to use. I know people have had good success with it.

Yes but sometimes more than others.

Yes some cats do like plastic and other things and when it is severe it is called pica (I believe that is the spelling). I don't know much about it but it can be pretty serious. I am glad that he throws it up. That can be pretty bad.

Yes that is good as long as you are not at risk. Anytime they can break that focus and not have an incident it is a positive. It is normal for a cat to go after another cat if they are running away. That is normal instinct. But I would like to see them willing to turn away and walk away from the other one. If you can get them to do that and not have the other attack it is very positive. I think that happens most of the time but I would keep getting them to do that. Yes, it could be one gets too serious and too amped up so they get too wild.

Yes, she would be tense if they are still in that type of situation. But the fact she got over it quickly is very good.

Yes, it sounds like it. That is very good. Her behavior is normal with responding to growling etc.

It could be a change in the routine. Cats are funny that way. It could be the stress (understandably). It could be a little of each. And the change in the weather, people coming over etc. It is always tough to know. I would try to get them on a routine again because that is always good.

Well that is great. It will be good to see how things happen. Then we can have a better picture of how things start. I am glad that nothing happened at least last night. I am guessing when we see it it will be pretty normal. One cat corners the other one they get into it. Sounds worse then it is and then they bounce back. But we will see.

I don't know if you saw this on the front page but I though this was good and applicable. No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I hope you get better and don't worry about it if you aren't up to getting on.

Yeah, it weirded me out too. When I realized she wasn't there begging for food I actually got worried. Thought she might have gotten out. Again. But I had been pretty sure I saw her go in the little cat cave bed and, before I convinced myself to go searching for her, I saw her head in there.

I did open it so I could touch it. It was pretty sticky, but thinking about it really probably isn't that bad. My main concern is the fur on the bottom of his feet. He has really long tufts of fur and I can't imagine it would feel good to have that pulled.

I don't think Frost is quite to the point of pica. I've read about other people who have cats that are much worse than Frost. If you put him and Ash together then it would probably be pica. Ash likes to chew on cardboard and the bristles of soft brushes and things like that.

Ember is certainly no danger to me. I'm still feeling my way around Ash a bit now that he's gotten a bit more bold, but I doubt he'll intentionally lash out at me when I'm not too close to him. I'm not sure if Ember would ever turn her back on him if she thought he even might attack. She's walked away from him in the past before he started retaliating, but not so much since.

Oh yeah. They always amaze me with how quickly all is forgotten. The second food is involved, Ember acts like nothing ever happened. And Ash remains so trusting of her.

Ember seems a bit more sensitive lately though. Like earlier today she just got under the covers with me when one of the boys did something that made a noise. I'm not sure what it was. Possibly just jumping off the cat tree. She darted off, hissed, spit, and maybe slapped. I didn't see it. She walked away with fur slightly puffed, but didn't do anything again.

I am going to work on getting my routine together. I've had trouble trying to fit everything in. Even with the whole day there's not enough time. I haven't messed with the cats' schedule, but I need to fix everything else. It seems a bit odd that they're fighting more now though. They've been playing quite a bit since getting the new toys. Ember in particular. She plays first with the laser light (I tried skipping it and got no interest from her. The second I opened the case for the laser light, she came running) for anywhere from two to five minutes, then the feather toy for probably five minutes or so, and then her and Ash take turns with the snake until it's dinner time and she still plays with the laser light in the morning too. Ash loves the snake toy. For once I actually have trouble getting the toys put up so I can feed them.

Nothing has happened since of course. Other than whatever that noise just now was. Someone's getting into something. Nothing major anyway. Minor issues during the day if Ember gets spooked or something. Ember sleeps with me pretty much all night. I'm surprised she's not here now. I just want to make sure Ash isn't starting things all of a sudden. I don't think he would, but I'd feel better ruling it out completely. It would be great if I could figure out what causes them though so perhaps I could prevent that.

Ah, thanks. I hadn't read that. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I feel a little better today. I hope it continues.

I know exactly how you felt. It does get worrisome. She probably was so warm and comfortable that she thought "Ahhhhhhh, I don't need any food now". It is rare but it does happen. Even my outside ferals do that and my inside ones sure do that.

Well, maybe you wont have to use it. I think they would probably not put enough weight on it and hold it for so long to really stick and hurt them. I am sure there are threads on here talking about the risks.

Yes, it doesn't sound like it. And cats do like to chew on things. If it was a problem you would know it.

Cats will only turn their back when they are confident they are safe. I am guessing Ember doesn't really fear him but that she is just unsure nowadays since he has gotten more bold. But if you can get her to look away and then nothing happens that is a confidence building exercise. A cat may walk away slower than normal also. I am like that with my ferals and inside cats (not afraid) but an accident still can happen so just be careful.

THAT is GREAT and tells me it is a minor issue. If there really was distrust they wouldn't be like that. A very good sign.

Something seems to have changed a bit. Just to unsettle her. Maybe Ash getting more bold. And she is wondering. So just go back to basics building her confidence, making positive associations. Getting her confidence back. And trying to make every interaction between her and Ash as positive as possible.

Oh I know., On good days I have trouble and lately not being well is even harder. Just do your best. It is terrific they are playing. They may be fighting because they have some excess energy. If you can keep them playing to drain the energy that could be helpful. I think you have found the magic getting them to play which is fantastic!!

He may just be a bit mischievious. It is difficult to know. But as long as they aren't acting differently (hiding, avoiding, etc) then they will be fine and work it out. Things will be fine.

Yes, that was on the front page. I thought it was really good. You are very welcome.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does seem to be choosing warmth over food more often lately. I ate fries with her on my lap and she didn't try to get them a single time.

I hope I don't have to use the tape though my mom might end up covering the all of the counters in it with how much they've been getting up there. Ash is still by far the worst, but I've seen all three of them up there today.

They still get along fine for the most part, but there's definitely been more minor occurrences and then those few big ones. She goes after him multiple times a day. Every little noise sends her running. She got out of my bed three times last night because she heard something and she did end up going after him. I watched it on my camera because I kept hearing noises and I was worried since she hadn't come back. Yeah, I'm to the point that I actually think something is wrong if Ember isn't with me when I'm in bed for ten minutes. The fight wasn't surprising though because I kept hearing noises so I figured she'd probably be getting tense. I ended up taking her to my room for the night because she'd only let up for as long as I fed her.

I will. I have to focus on them more. I've been focusing a lot on the dog, but I need to make more time for the cats as well.

I thought excess energy too, but it seems backwards. They should have less playing more, shouldn't they? Or are they getting amped up and not worn out? They have lost interest in the feather toy. It got a lot of attention quickly and lost that attention just as quickly. Frost likes it. He got under a basket I use for training Stella that I had upside down and attacked the toy from under it, effectively pushing the basket into the middle of the room. Ash and Ember like the snake toy though.

I saw three cats on my walk. All repeats, I'm pretty sure. One of them I know is. I think the other two are. There was a black cat and of course it's impossible to tell how many there are with black cats, but it seemed to have the same build. I've seen it the most. Or I've seen five different cats. There's a mackerel tabby that I'm pretty sure I've seen at least once, but I'm not sure if it's one I've seen hanging out on the porch or not. I only ever saw the front of that cat, but the markings around the neck seemed thick and dark. More like a classic tabby. Then there was the orange tabby that I've seen once before. I know he's the same. Well, can't be positive, but he looked the same and was in the same area and I got the same vibe from him. He has this experience-beyond-his-years sort of atmosphere around him and is the most nervous of them. I'd like to get pictures of them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is not surprising when it is colder. I am surprised she didn't want your food when she was on your lap. I wish mine were like that once in a while.

That isn't a bad idea. Wow, all 3? One does it then they all follow. Ughhhhhhh, that is how it is. It might not be a bad idea to try it. Just make sure there is nothing around that could be knocked off etc because when they feel it they will freak out a bit most likely and they could knock things around.

I wonder why they are more sensitive. I wonder what happened. They do get in these moods at times. Something happens and they build a little distrust. What I do is get them to be near each other without incident, making those positive associations. Distracting if they get too focused on each other. Things like that. It is almost like they think there is an intruder around. I wonder if they are seeing ferals or other animals outside.

That sounds like a plan. It could be that they feel a bit left out. Usually when that happens they get more clingy but it can be also they get a little uneasy and get into it more.

Yes, if the energy is not drained then it can cause them to get into it with each other because that energy needs to be released. And if they are in "hunt" mode then it can easily get to be each other. Try to really get them tired out and then feed and see if it makes a difference. Try not to end it before they are ready. That is really cute about Frost. That is awesome. And it is great the other two like the snake. Play is so important. You are doing something right getting their attention so well.

Oh wow. I wonder if they are the reason the cats are more unsettled. If the cats are coming near the house. This could be the source of the uptick in incidents. Interesting.

My outside ferals are really territorial right now. I wonder if it is the colder temps that cause them unease. I have an orange tabby like how you mention. He is an old guy and I think a father to a lot of the ferals. He is a cool character even when my ferals try to keep him away. I wish they would just accept him into the colony but I think they remember him when he was intact.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish they were like that once in a while too. It's a rare thing.

Well, we might be trying it. They won't stop. I mean, I know they got up there before, but it was never like this. If they'd at least slow down a little and maybe listen better.

I've no idea what happened, but I wish it would stop. I am going to work with them more and give them attention, but they are definitely sensitive. And many times there's rather little warning beforehand, even if I am around to see even part of it.

I'm trying to make sure to not end before they're ready, but they aren't playing as much anymore. I might have to switch the toys up. I was thinking about adding a session around nine since that's when they get into fights, but it would be after they eat.

I don't know. I have seen any cats by the house which is somewhat surprising. I thought we would with the camera on the porch. The cats I saw are a couple of streets down though, so definitely close enough to be coming around. Not to mention Jax, the orange tabby I wanted to feed, and the tortoiseshell my mom saw once. I saw a black and white cat today, but it was further off.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about that cat. He just has a certain feel to him. And I saw what I believe is a second black cat Friday. The first one has really short, sleek fur and is a bit... rounder, I guess. This one seemed to have fluffier fur though still short and was a bit leaner. Just on the other side of the road from Stella and me. It watched us for a moment before going into a drain pipe. I went over there (left Stella on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road), but could see it. Went back to Stella and it came out to look at us. I took Stella over there and it went back in, but I was able to look down a grate and see it looking up at us.

Oh, by the way, I weighed everyone today. Ash is up to 10lbs, so better than he was, but not quite where he had been before being sick. Frost is right around 8lbs, so basically back to where he had been. But Ember is down to 9.4lbs! Or, well, somewhere around there. It sure took long enough for her to lose weight, but she finally did.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree. :)

I know, they get into spurts like this then they get bored with it. Hopefully the tape will help them stop it sooner. My girl goes in the cabinets, opens them up if they aren't totally closed and gets anything bakery like. She is horrible. I should use the tape as well but keeping them closed really well solves my issue (but sometimes I mess up).

I wonder if it is an animal outside. Often times it is. Or it could be just an incident and then it built on itself. Just keep working with them on positive associations, making encounters between them as positive as possible, etc.

I would try to do it before they eat and try to get them tired out. They then should hunt (play) eat, groom, then sleep. That time of day is always tricky because that is when they start hunting in the wild etc. Mine get wild around that time as well then they tire themselves out and sleep. But if it has been a little while since they ate then try to play to tire them out. Switching toys might help. Of course, for cats other cats are the best play source. :/

Hmmmmmmm, I am surprised. Keep watching the cam. Maybe they are going on the side of the house. Try to think of where the "fights" happen or mark it down. And then let's see if there is some commonality. Like enclosed places with deadends, or by outside windows, etc.

Interesting. That one sounds pretty tame. Usually they would really get away.

GREAT!!!!! Really good work. They are pretty much where you want them to be which is great. You are doing the right things. Keep up the great work!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad they don't get into the cabinets. Frost used to be really bad about it in our old house. Fortunately, the lower cabinets contained mostly canned things. He'd just crawl over them. It was mostly just annoying because he'd paw at the cabinet until he got it far enough to stay open, so you could hear it bang shut repeatedly. I've only seen him make a couple of attempts since moving, but haven't seen him succeed.

I don't know, but I'll keep working on it.

I do play with them before they eat. I play with them at 7:30, feed them at 8, and then they get in a fight around 9 or so. If we can make it until ten then we're usually okay until early in the morning around five, but that seems to be somewhat fixed by making sure they're getting fed at the same time pretty much every day. I can't control what my mom does when I go to my dad's, but I get up to feed them even if I don't have to be up so early and that seemed to help with the early morning fights.

We'll keep an eye out. I can't be sure since cats are sneaky and they could be coming from any direction. The camera only covers a small area. And it seems to either be too sensitive or not very sensitive at all. There are times I can walk up to the door without setting it off until I'm at the door. It's a bit delayed.

Most of the fights are in the kitchen and dining room, sometimes the hallway. I think the hallway is a bad place because it's so narrow with a dead end, so they seem to spook easily there and then get stuck. I'm not really sure if the fights begin in one room more often than the other. They end in the dining room a lot and there are some big windows in there.

They're all fairly tame except maybe the orange tabby, but nowhere near friendly. One tabby stopped on the stairs to look at us while we were on the sidewalk several feet away from the house still, but quite close. I don't know where it went because it took off when I looked away at Stella. But that black one definitely let us get the closest.

Everyone except Stella anyway. I would like Frost to gain some more still, but at least he's back to where he was.

So Ash has this weird habit of giving an aggressive meow and slapping our legs if we walk too close to him when it's around dinner time. I've no idea why he does it. The slaps aren't hard and don't usually involved any claws though he has pushed it a bit and has gotten a little rougher. I've felt claws hook in my pants a couple of times. But he sounds so aggressive and then immediately after will rub up against my legs. He seems to have gotten worse about it lately too. He slapped me when I went to get a spoon to get their food with and immediately slapped the other side of my leg. Then got me again when I was going back to their bowls. Well, the third time Ember came running over, bit a piece of fur and pulled on it, then let go and gave him a light smack (more of a tap really) and walked away. It was both funny and cute watching her come to my rescue like that, but it was also impressive that she was so calm about it. She didn't attack him or anything.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really good. My one girl is terrible. She will try and try. Several of them do it with doors if they aren't totally closed. :( Mine can be brats.

It is hard to know. All we can do is build confidence etc. It is hard to deter outside animals (If that is what is causing the issues).

Yes, that time is when mine get wild. They have that burst of energy before bedtime. My outside ferals get into fights when I am getting their wet food ready. But that is not the same as your issue but my point is that there are different causes for "fights". An hour after eating should be ok to add a play session and it could drain some of that excess energy (but I know it is hard to add another play session). I will say, it is understandable that they get into it at that time, it is very common.

That sounds like a plan. At some point something will show I think.

Yes, hallways are always issues because of what you mention. Interesting it is in the kitchen and dinning room. The windows are very interesting, do they ever look out of them? Keep an eye in those areas for why it may be happening. Before meals I could understand it (in the kitchen) so maybe there is some lingering issues from that and maybe the dining room is just where it leads to. Just try to think and observe what might be going on that might cause some unease. Also, you may want to step up play in the dinning room and maybe put something like bedding in there or the kitchen if possible so they can get their scents on it and "own" it more.

They seem like they are pretty comfortable with people.

Does Stella need to lose weight? Yes, it is great they are doing well and hopefully Frost can gain a bit more. But it is going in the right direction.

It sounds like he wants to play. He sees that movement and thinks "toy". That is what it sounds like. Yes, Ember is being a mom. Admonishing him in a good way. It is pretty cute I bet. She is such a sweetheart.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can certainly all be brats. It would be bad if Frost got in the cabinets here since we have the cleaning supplies under the sink. In the old house, they were already child-proof. But if we leave the front door open for a second too long you can bet he'll be on the porch. Fortunately, none of them are really door darters, but will take advantage of a door left open.

I think I will try adding a session, even if only a short one. I'd rather prevent these fights from happening so they don't lose confidence. It's hard breaking the cycle when the problems continue to persist and if it continues I fear they'll lose more confidence. But the only other way I know to prevent the fights is to keep Ember in my room even if only for that hour that they usually fight. I'm trying to avoid that, but I don't want it to get to the point that my mom decides someone needs a new home.

There's a cat tree in front of the window though they haven't been up there as much as usual. All of our cat trees are placed in front of windows though the other two I think are unlikely to be an issue. I do know we've had an opossum around before. We've had one in the backyard a couple of times.

Yeah, Stella could lose a little. She's supposed to be 14lbs and she had been just barely under 15lbs. The scale said she now weighs 15.6lbs, but not sure of the accuracy. The previous weight came from the vet and the current one came from our scale.

It sure doesn't sound like play. Actually, I don't know that I've ever heard Ash make a sound in play. I have become familiar with the aggressive sounds due to Frost though... And Ash only ever does it around meal time. Ember is a wonderful little cat. She's on my lap now, using my arm as a pillow.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO true. I too have cleaning supplies below the sink which I have to secure. Luckily mine are no longer "door darters" (when they were outside they would try to get in). Once one of mine got out and she froze and then ran back in. It was kind of funny to see her reaction. My outside ferals try to come in a lot of the time but the ones I have in now where really bad, they would hide and then try to rush the open door to get in (which at the time they couldn't because of how I do intros etc).

That is a good idea. Play is always good. Keeping Ember occupied with you (even though it is time intensive) would be fine as well but of course she may want to roam around or burn off some energy so that may just postpone the encounters. Yes, even if you would have to get her in your room and close her off with you in the room that would be better than having to re-home. I face the same issues you do, they get into it sometimes. That is what cats do. As long as no one is in danger of being hurt there would be no real reason to re-home.

Hmmmm, interesting they are not in that tree as much. It could be someone coming around outside or maybe they had a battle about it so every one is skittish around it. I would try to get them up on the tree and see how they react. An opossum could be an issue. Really any animal. It just depends. I have a funny aside, I had an opossum come around and I would feed him chicken with the ferals. It was pretty cute. He was pretty tame. My dog would go nose to nose with him (or her). Sweet, tame animal though I wouldn't recommend doing that ever.

That isn't too bad. It is hard to get them to lose weight and their weights do fluctuate a bit.

Hmmmmm, it doesn't sound aggressive though. If he felt threatened or was aggressive he would really attack. And he just doesn't seem like that kind of cat.

Yes, mine use my legs, arms, stomach anything as a pillow. Ember is a sweetheart, she loves you so much. Such a great bond. It really is wonderful. How do the others act when she is doing that?

I had my newest cat and my oldest on my lap last night. Watching TV. Now my newest isn't the most social cat (never was outside is isn't much inside, she is a loner mostly). Well, they were doing well, both purring, relaxed, then boom my newest swats the other one and gets off. I didn't see that coming at all. Sometimes it just happens for no real reason. I still have a lot to learn about cats............. Then after that they were together again, fast rebound, all fine. Go figure...........

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is sort of funny. My cats are certainly intrigued by the outdoors, but they come back! They have all, unfortunately, had their chances to escape and they returned every time. Ember will try to get out the back door sometimes, but she's not very quick about it and it's not that big of a deal since she'd have to get through two doors.

I am going to try to remember to play with them around nine. If that doesn't help then I'll start keeping Ember in my room for at least a little while. I honestly don't think she even cares. As long as I'm in there, she's totally fine. Even when I leave her, when I go back in she doesn't even try to get out. She backs up and looks out, but she stays there.

Of course Ash had to prove me wrong and spent quite a bit of time on that cat tree. Ember sure hasn't been on it though. Maybe every now and then if she hears a bird, but not much. That could just be because she's looking for warm places. She spends most of her time on me, on the vent, or in the cave bed.

That's interesting that the opossum was so tame. Maybe it was used to getting food from people.

Well, Ash isn't an outright aggressive cat and I'm not worried about him really hurting me, but he can be rather outspoken with his opinions. If he feels his opinion requires claws, he will use them a little. He always seems to know just how far he can push it. But the noise he makes sounds like some foul language.

It is wonderful. The other two don't really seem to care. They'll make themselves comfortable on me whenever they like even if she's there. She's the only one who has a problem if they're on me though she'll just leave. For the most part, it's just Ember around though. Ash I don't even see much of during the day though he is on my lap right now. Frost gets in bed with me at night, but doesn't have a routine like Ember does. Sometimes he beats her to getting in bed, sometimes he doesn't show up until the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep.

Cats are certainly odd creatures. They have some weird turns of mood. It's nice that they get over things so quickly though.