Stomach goes gargle

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When she vomits its all her wet food so brownish, in a brown carpet..... Last night she did have a few bites of dry after the wet and that came up with it as well. Meow Meow is around 15 to 20 can't remember where in between the vet said. When it comes to food Meow Meow is one of the strangest cats I know. She eats until shes had enough then walks away, so if anything she under eats some times. Even if her tummy is emptying slowly I don't see as the problem. I've never know another cat with this type of self control.... Shes really upset with me right now for no wet food.
If Meow Meow's vomiting food like this five hours after her meal, that might be a little slow, which might not be unusual at her age; it's worth asking the vet. This article mentions "a few hours" for emptying; that's about what our vet said. It is so complicated to sort all these things out, what with foods and habits and the digestive system's various organs.

One of our cats (the one who has had a tendency to get constipated) also eats only until she's full, then walks away. And then the other cat wants to finish everything!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I think she tricked me.... good/bad news it doesn't seem to be the food. I haven't given her the wet food at all today and she seemed to be good until just a few mins ago and her stomach noises started up... She has refused her dry food all day so she doesn't have much to vomit.... less to clean up i guess

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and now she has started the licking and swallowing... UGH I don't want to go through this again.... and I bet she doesn't as well. Vet sent an email saying I have to wait until her vet gets in tomorrow for anything to happen before her appt

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am kind of not surprised. There is something else going on with her digestive tract, and I am not sure what the vet will recommend. My guess would be to start her on a limited ingredient or hydrolyzed food, perhaps for sensitive stomachs and see what happens from there. I would also venture to guess they might consider an abdominal ultrasound as well to see if that could shed any light on what could be going on with her entire digestive system.

You could try baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) and see how that works with her system. Most cats like them, and they are essentially nothing but meat and meat broth - the Gerber does have corn starch in it to help 'gel' it, but Feeby prefers Gerber over Beechnut. Other than the chicken version, you can buy EZ Complete to make them nutritionally complete for a cat. Maybe something worth trying? I supplement Feeby with this concoction because of her pickiness with 'regular' cat foods.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am kind of not surprised. There is something else going on with her digestive tract, and I am not sure what the vet will recommend. My guess would be to start her on a limited ingredient or hydrolyzed food, perhaps for sensitive stomachs and see what happens from there. I would also venture to guess they might consider an abdominal ultrasound as well to see if that could shed any light on what could be going on with her entire digestive system.

You could try baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) and see how that works with her system. Most cats like them, and they are essentially nothing but meat and meat broth - the Gerber does have corn starch in it to help 'gel' it, but Feeby prefers Gerber over Beechnut. Other than the chicken version, you can buy EZ Complete to make them nutritionally complete for a cat. Maybe something worth trying? I supplement Feeby with this concoction because of her pickiness with 'regular' cat foods.
Interesting I didn't know you could give cats baby food. I'll ask the vet about it and any other ideas once we know more about whats going on. I am still hoping they might give her something tomorrow, I'm getting pretty scaried as now its getting to a point were she doesn't want to eat much at all. I tried to give her a bit of the canned food as at least she would eat something but she had 2 licks and walked away. And somehow she has to make it through all day tomorrow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting I didn't know you could give cats baby food.
I personally wouldn't wait. If you can find one or the other in a store around you, go get some. A lot of folks on this site have used them. For now, it doesn't need to be nutritionally complete, it just gives her something for her belly to have in it.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't wait. If you can find one or the other in a store around you, go get some. A lot of folks on this site have used them. For now, it doesn't need to be nutritionally complete, it just gives her something for her belly to have in it.
The local Walmart seem to have both brands but it would be out of my way tomorrow, Walgreens has the Gerber chicken in gravy one so I’ll grab that one when I go to pick up my meds. Do you just stick with the meat only or mix it up with meat and vegs or rice?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gerber chicken will do. For now, I would only feed that by itself, less ingredients involved, less chance of digestive upset, IMO.
I agree!

Beechnut chicken and turkey have done really well for us but if Gerber's what you can get, feed that. And don't worry that it's not complete food: multiple vets have recommended baby food to us for tough situations! They work really well to get a lot of cats eating again.

If Meow Meow is still not eating tomorrow, though, solusumbra solusumbra , I hope the vet will see her on an emergency basis. A cat who's vomiting and not eating likely needs fluids, at the very least.

I hope Meow Meow eats something soon.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In side I’m terrified as Tom went through not eating at the end as well. Right now it seems like whatever is going on get worse as the day goes on, I’m hoping to go to the store early so I can feed/get her to eat a bunch. Before it all starts up again. She had vomited a few times in the mornings but the last several days have all followed the same pattern so my fingers are crossed. I should hopefully hear something back from the vet tomorrow as well. Her normal vet it out for the week sadly so we will be seeing a different one then normal, that one was also not there today which is why they couldn’t do anything today... ugh I don’t know what’s worse though the not eating at all or the daily vomiting.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In side I’m terrified as Tom went through not eating at the end as well. Right now it seems like whatever is going on get worse as the day goes on, I’m hoping to go to the store early so I can feed/get her to eat a bunch. Before it all starts up again. She had vomited a few times in the mornings but the last several days have all followed the same pattern so my fingers are crossed. I should hopefully hear something back from the vet tomorrow as well. Her normal vet it out for the week sadly so we will be seeing a different one then normal, that one was also not there today which is why they couldn’t do anything today... ugh I don’t know what’s worse though the not eating at all or the daily vomiting.
Yes, it's especially hard when you recognize those patterns, isn't it? It brings back memories.

I hope most of all that the vet will somehow be able to fit you in tomorrow or at least get you some Cerenia or other med that might help Meow Meow. I also really hope she'll eat something and hold off on the vomiting.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's especially hard when you recognize those patterns, isn't it? It brings back memories.

I hope most of all that the vet will somehow be able to fit you in tomorrow or at least get you some Cerenia or other med that might help Meow Meow. I also really hope she'll eat something and hold off on the vomiting.
I got her to eat a small sliver of the wet food, I didn't want to give her much but wanted something. She still wont touch the dry food. She seems to be doing ok, but now she passing around the house.... Most movement I've seen her do in weeks....

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got her to eat a small sliver of the wet food, I didn't want to give her much but wanted something. She still wont touch the dry food. She seems to be doing ok, but now she passing around the house.... Most movement I've seen her do in weeks....
I'm glad to hear she ate a little something, that's good. Maybe she'll eat more small meals? And how interesting that she's moving around the house.

Crossing fingers that you can get some help from the vet tomorrow!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
made the trip out to walmart and got both brands, shes trying the beechnut brand first. just gave her a teaspoon and its gone licked clean. Also got a single pack of the Sheba stuff to see if she can keep it down. But going to stick with the baby food for today. Any other brand of wet food we will have to get through Chewy.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
made the trip out to walmart and got both brands, shes trying the beechnut brand first. just gave her a teaspoon and its gone licked clean. Also got a single pack of the Sheba stuff to see if she can keep it down. But going to stick with the baby food for today. Any other brand of wet food we will have to get through Chewy.
Hurray for baby food! Edwina ate a lot of Beechnut after her stomach surgery last summer. It really appeals to a lot of cats and it's very moist, which is a big plus. Since Meow Meow's eating the baby food, I'd stick with that for today, too.

I hope the vet comes through for you in some way today, too!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hurray for baby food! Edwina ate a lot of Beechnut after her stomach surgery last summer. It really appeals to a lot of cats and it's very moist, which is a big plus. Since Meow Meow's eating the baby food, I'd stick with that for today, too.

I hope the vet comes through for you in some way today, too!
It seems the baby food as really brought up her appetite alittle bit, She really doesn't like dry food it seems really hard for her to chew, but she tried eating some since I wouldn't give her any more baby food. (I took video so the vet can see whats going on with that as well, she has to toss her head/food in her mouth side to side) Her teeth are in really good shape but I can't help but wonder if she has some arthritis in her jaw. Then for the first time in a few days she started to clean herself, so for awhile she seemed to have been feeling pretty good. Shes resting now but looks like shes feeling kind of icky again, not in a normally sleeping spot or position. But there is no sounds, licking or swallowing! so maybe she just might need the bland/simply stuff for awhile longer. But hopefully answers tomorrow so we (me and my housemate which its really HIS cat....) can make a better plan for her care going forward. I'm just go glad she has some food and isn't vomiting it (knock on wood). Thank you everyone for hanging in there with me!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But there is no sounds, licking or swallowing! so maybe she just might need the bland/simply stuff for awhile longer.
I'm glad to hear she hasn't been showing any of those symptoms! And it's good that you know how to recognize her patterns to know when she's not feeling well... it's hard to know when to feed a cat with a vomiting problem, there's always the fear the cat will vomit yet again. It does sound like she's both hungry and willing to eat, which is probably a good thing. Maybe little snacks of baby food would work? It's always so hard to know.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she ate the whole jar with no problems and wants more, but Incase the cornstarch doesn’t want to settle to well for her she has to wait until morning to try something new again. With how well this is going I can’t help but get my hopes up that it was just that brand FF. I also found that the closer it gets to taking her the more panicked I get.... haha I’m so not ready to go back there.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she ate the whole jar with no problems and wants more, but Incase the cornstarch doesn’t want to settle to well for her she has to wait until morning to try something new again. With how well this is going I can’t help but get my hopes up that it was just that brand FF. I also found that the closer it gets to taking her the more panicked I get.... haha I’m so not ready to go back there.
Which kind did you give her? The Beechnut that I bought doesn't have corn starch.

Sometimes there is something in a brand that just makes a cat barf. I totally understand feeling nervous... I was the same way when Edwina had to go in for her ultrasound.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which kind did you give her? The Beechnut that I bought doesn't have corn starch.

Sometimes there is something in a brand that just makes a cat barf. I totally understand feeling nervous... I was the same way when Edwina had to go in for her ultrasound.
I had gotten one jar of each and she devoured the beechnut one so the next one she has to eat is the gerber with cornstarch. She will most likely be fine with it but I didn’t want to risk it, last thing at night so it will be breakfast. Haha