Stomach goes gargle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That doesn't mean much in terms of some food intolerance - that can be intestines as much as stomach related. However, causing a disruption in the intestines would seem to be less inclined to cause vomiting as much as it might cause stool issues. Not to say that feeling weird things going on in the intestines can't affect a cat so much that they would throw up. It simply could be whatever overall changes that have been made to FF in general. Feeby used to love FF, and now I can hardly get her to eat it. Maybe Merrick Purrfect Bistros might be another to try? Feeby does seem to like Sheba too, but a lot less flavor options with them. They do contain fish oil, but I didn't see any sodium nitrite in them.

How old is Meow meow?
I can't remember off hand what the vet said, but shes 15 + going near 20, she also wont eat any other kind then paste.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats gurgles when she's getting hungry... And then sometimes vomits stomach acid four or five hours after her last meal. That timing is very tricky... We've found that food sensitivities (which she also has) take about the same amount of time to kick in. If keeping track of ingredients doesn't help you crack Meow Meow's problem, try feeding a tiny snack (maybe a few freeze-dried chicken treats or something similar) between meals. This can be especially helpful for rescue cats who continue to have food insecurity, as Edwina does.

Also... Our cats love Tiny Tiger turkey and giblets pate.

Good luck!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our cats gurgles when she's getting hungry... And then sometimes vomits stomach acid four or five hours after her last meal. That timing is very tricky... We've found that food sensitivities (which she also has) take about the same amount of time to kick in. If keeping track of ingredients doesn't help you crack Meow Meow's problem, try feeding a tiny snack (maybe a few freeze-dried chicken treats or something similar) between meals. This can be especially helpful for rescue cats who continue to have food insecurity, as Edwina does.

Also... Our cats love Tiny Tiger turkey and giblets pate.

Good luck!
She gets her wet food in the morning and night and she has free access to the dry food in between and during the night, so I don't think its because she was hungry, but interesting thought.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She gets her wet food in the morning and night and she has free access to the dry food in between and during the night, so I don't think its because she was hungry, but interesting thought.
The acid barf thing can be weird... we feed six small meals a day (!) and she can still vomit stomach acid if she gets too nervous about her next meal. Our cats were very underfed and scrawny when we adopted them and Edwina is still nervous about her food nine years later. Honestly, I think food sensitivities are easier to deal with!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The acid barf thing can be weird... we feed six small meals a day (!) and she can still vomit stomach acid if she gets too nervous about her next meal. Our cats were very underfed and scrawny when we adopted them and Edwina is still nervous about her food nine years later. Honestly, I think food sensitivities are easier to deal with!
I don't know if I was just so preoccupied with everything that was going on with our other cat to notice, but I've only picked up on this sound since his passing, and while she had her normal vomit aka hairballs, I never saw her vomit like this (mostly just liquid) and that I would of noticed. haha

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she just vomited, she had the turkey and giblets tonight. She sounded so bad, this low sad meow and smacking her teeth together right before it happened. Going to be calling the vet in the morning. She might weight 7 pounds if she keeps vomiting like this it’s going to be super bad. I also didn’t hear a lot of the gurgling sounds this time.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she just vomited, she had the turkey and giblets tonight. She sounded so bad, this low sad meow and smacking her teeth together right before it happened. Going to be calling the vet in the morning. She might weight 7 pounds if she keeps vomiting like this it’s going to be super bad. I also didn’t hear a lot of the gurgling sounds this time.
Oh no that doesn't sound very nice. I hope the vet can get her in tomorrow! 🤞 Please let us know how things go.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s set for Thursday afternoon! I have the sounds recorded, her massively vomiting even though it’s sadly not in focus you can still see it, and another strange video of were she keeps licking and swallowing. I’ll take photos of all the food I feed her before we go so no mistakes on what it is.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s set for Thursday afternoon! I have the sounds recorded, her massively vomiting even though it’s sadly not in focus you can still see it, and another strange video of were she keeps licking and swallowing. I’ll take photos of all the food I feed her before we go so no mistakes on what it is.
It's great that you're so prepared! I never manage to get video of anything. The licking (often a sign of nausea) and swallowing could be especially helpful for them to see.

Fingers crossed!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's great that you're so prepared! I never manage to get video of anything. The licking (often a sign of nausea) and swallowing could be especially helpful for them to see.

Fingers crossed!
Oh... I really had no idea, it was just something strange I noticed her doing and decided to record it. Shes even doing it right now while trying to sleep on my bed.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh... I really had no idea, it was just something strange I noticed her doing and decided to record it. Shes even doing it right now while trying to sleep on my bed.
I probably should have asked to be sure I knew what, exactly you meant... but when cats lick their lips it can be a sign of nausea. If the vet thinks she has nausea, they might prescribe Cerenia, which worked really well for Edwina. We still jokingly call it "Serenity" because it made us so much calmer, knowing she wasn't likely to barf, it's a great drug for her. Of course it doesn't work for all cats or all situations but it's pretty common.

I'm also glad she'll get some help soon. I hope she's able to keep some food (and water) down in the meantime!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I probably should have asked to be sure I knew what, exactly you meant... but when cats lick their lips it can be a sign of nausea. If the vet thinks she has nausea, they might prescribe Cerenia, which worked really well for Edwina. We still jokingly call it "Serenity" because it made us so much calmer, knowing she wasn't likely to barf, it's a great drug for her. Of course it doesn't work for all cats or all situations but it's pretty common.

I'm also glad she'll get some help soon. I hope she's able to keep some food (and water) down in the meantime!
I hope you can see it in this short video. She seems to know when shes being recorded and tries not to do it. haha She vomited again last night this is now the 3rd day in a row. I'm going to try not to give her any wet food to see it makes any difference, which will be hard because she doesn't want to eat her dry food. I'm also going to call the vet and see if they are willing to give her any meds without seeing her I don't want to her suffer until Thursday.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet this morning but they said they can't get her in any sooner, but wanted the videos of her asap, especially the licking and swallowing. They said if they see that, they might be able to give some anti-nausea meds. I sent them and now just waiting to hear back anything.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet this morning but they said they can't get her in any sooner, but wanted the videos of her asap, especially the licking and swallowing. They said if they see that, they might be able to give some anti-nausea meds. I sent them and now just waiting to hear back anything.
I hope the vet will give you some meds, that would be great. Yes, that licking is familiar -- our cat who's had a tendency to get constipated used to do that. (She's much better now that we've made some dietary changes and started giving her anti-hairball tablets. Not that she's ever gacked up a hairball... the tablets can help make a cat be more regular. And now she hardly ever licks her lips.)

I don't think this was in your previous posts but forgive me if it was... When Meow Meow vomits, is what comes up all liquid? Or is there still food in it? If it's all liquid, is it clear or yellowish?

Also, how old is Meow Meow? Cats' digestive motility decreases with age and that can contribute to vomiting, with the stomach emptying slowly. (Our vet loves to mention this... and thought, at one time, that maybe our other cat's stomach was emptying too slowly. Something else that couldn't be diagnosed even with post-op biopsies was bothering her instead; it might have been parasites but we'll never know.)

Fingers crossed for some Cerenia or similar med!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope the vet will give you some meds, that would be great. Yes, that licking is familiar -- our cat who's had a tendency to get constipated used to do that. (She's much better now that we've made some dietary changes and started giving her anti-hairball tablets. Not that she's ever gacked up a hairball... the tablets can help make a cat be more regular. And now she hardly ever licks her lips.)

I don't think this was in your previous posts but forgive me if it was... When Meow Meow vomits, is what comes up all liquid? Or is there still food in it? If it's all liquid, is it clear or yellowish?

Also, how old is Meow Meow? Cats' digestive motility decreases with age and that can contribute to vomiting, with the stomach emptying slowly. (Our vet loves to mention this... and thought, at one time, that maybe our other cat's stomach was emptying too slowly. Something else that couldn't be diagnosed even with post-op biopsies was bothering her instead; it might have been parasites but we'll never know.)

Fingers crossed for some Cerenia or similar med!
When she vomits its all her wet food so brownish, in a brown carpet..... Last night she did have a few bites of dry after the wet and that came up with it as well. Meow Meow is around 15 to 20 can't remember where in between the vet said. When it comes to food Meow Meow is one of the strangest cats I know. She eats until shes had enough then walks away, so if anything she under eats some times. Even if her tummy is emptying slowly I don't see as the problem. I've never know another cat with this type of self control.... Shes really upset with me right now for no wet food.