Soon-to-be New Cat Owner -updated!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We’re glad to have you here! Tali is very pretty!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would it need to warrant a second litter box elsewhere?
Although with an only cat it isn't quite so necessary, the rule of thumb on litter boxes is, 1 per cat, plus 1. A second box would be appreciated if there is a reasonable place to put it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 2:
She slept next to me last night! It probably helps that I’m the warmest thing in the room.

We played a bit today, and in a few instances I left her in the bedroom so that someone could come by to pickup a piece of furniture I was giving away. I am nervous if she’ll run for the door or if the outside world will be forever scary.

She would meow a lot at me, even though she went through her food and has used the litter box just fine so far. When I’d play with her she’d stop. I wondered how in heck she could stay transfixed on a spinning ball around a track, but I won’t question it further :) after about half an hour of play, I left her to her devices and she sat on top of her cat tree. She meows at me a lot still. Some are long meows.

I talked to her some and pet her to sleep!

Attachments

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! How exciting to have a new member of your family - and a very sweet one at that! I just adopted two weeks ago and the excitement still hasn't died down. I'm not very familiar with cat ownership either, so I can't give you much more advice since everyone seems to have been helpful already, but enjoy her.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's adjusting really well! And she's adorable. :lovecat:
She is :) I think she has a very striking look though. Once she grows, she's going to look more refined than "cute" perhaps :)

One of the things she's been doing is meowing a lot at me. At first I would talk to her every time she did it, but I think I'm supposed to ignore it flat out? I feel so bad when I ignore her, but at the same time she does give up and move onto playing with toys or sleep.

Today is Day 3. She slept with me last night again. I'm a general clean freak, so even having miniscule bits of litter in my bed was new, haha. Maybe I need a better litter mat, or an even bigger one. She sleeps in the cat tree next to my bed, and then when I settle in she comes up beside me, or sits on my belly. I move her if her butt is in my face, lol.

I left the place to her for the first time today. She didn't seem interested in following me out, thankfully. When I came back, I had that first-time feeling... "where is she??". Where was she lurking?! It's a good thing I'm careful - she was buried in my blanket, on a chair I usually sit in to watch TV.

She also got introduced to the loud vakoom's. I have a regular, large/bagless one and now have a Pet Hair eraser. I've had a history of allergies to cats, but it's varied. With Tali, I have no reactions or very very light ones. I am wondering what kind of breed she is still.

I also need to arrange her first vet visit, and am not looking forward to trimming her nails or trying >_<

I moved her food and water outside the bedroom already to the living room and will monitor the situation. I am planning to move the litter box out of the room, so I'm moving it a few inches each day. Do any of you think it's too soon to have moved the food and water? I'm in a 600 or so square foot apartment, one floor only.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like talkative cats, so I always responded to their meows when they were kittens - not by giving food, but just with a "hello, what are you up to?". And now we have a whole language - I know their "I'm hungry!" meows from "I want to play" meows to "I'm so excited you're home!" meows.

So it's up to you - if you want a silent cat, don't respond. If you want a talkative cat, go ahead and respond. Cats figure out what works and go with it.

Edited to add: Funnily enough, my cats now trill at each other too, especially when they're looking for each other. Saipha will be in my lap, for example, and I'll hear Mishka trilling all the way down the hall. Saipha will trill back, and Mishka will come trotting in.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like talkative cats, so I always responded to their meows when they were kittens - not by giving food, but just with a "hello, what are you up to?". And now we have a whole language - I know their "I'm hungry!" meows from "I want to play" meows to "I'm so excited you're home!" meows.

So it's up to you - if you want a silent cat, don't respond. If you want a talkative cat, go ahead and respond. Cats figure out what works and go with it.

Edited to add: Funnily enough, my cats now trill at each other too, especially when they're looking for each other. Saipha will be in my lap, for example, and I'll hear Mishka trilling all the way down the hall. Saipha will trill back, and Mishka will come trotting in.
Thanks for the insight :) I like talking to Tali, but I can kind of tell when it's all about being distressed at something ("I want to climb over this gate!" or some other business...).

She's eating and going to the bathroom just fine, so it's neither of those (I'll be taking her to the vet soon in any case).

Day 4:
Yesterday and part of today, I'd be doing something but she climbs up to my lap and camps out. There's a bit of overlap of me trying to kittenproof my home still (mostly wires from my home theater and such, it's taking time). I've had to keep her in the bedroom (litter box still there) when I was working on protecting some wires. The fact that I made them seem like snakes or some sort of prey made her constantly come back to bite them, even though I would say "NO" and carry her away from the wires.

Last night we had some lap/sleep time and I was wondering what a certain good smell was. It was like lavender but a little spicier. I realized that it's her! I had no idea that kitten fur or kitten's could smell so good, haha!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the insight :) I like talking to Tali, but I can kind of tell when it's all about being distressed at something ("I want to climb over this gate!" or some other business...).
Day 4:
Last night we had some lap/sleep time and I was wondering what a certain good smell was. It was like lavender but a little spicier. I realized that it's her! I had no idea that kitten fur or kitten's could smell so good, haha!
:)

Have you read these threads? :biggrin:

Does A Cat's Belly Smell Like A "... Mix Of Pancakes And Burnt Butter"?!

And this one especially!
Confessions of an American Cat Huffer

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat huffing article is hilarious. :)

So twice last night I heard Tali in the litter box. It sounded wet like diarrhea. I got concerned - I have not changed up her diet from her previous caretaker. Two flavors of Wellness Core wet food (the “Kitten” pâté and another pâté that is herring with other flavors).

My bed has white sheets and so do my pillows. Didn’t see any streaks of feces or poo markings. I’ve read that I should wait a day and see if it continues?

Last night I was just worried her butt was going to be up against my face or on my stomach and I’d smell something horrible. Thankfully none of that.

Attachments

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

She's eating and going to the bathroom just fine, so it's neither of those (I'll be taking her to the vet soon in any case).

Day 4:
Yesterday and part of today, I'd be doing something but she climbs up to my lap and camps out. There's a bit of overlap of me trying to kittenproof my home still (mostly wires from my home theater and such, it's taking time). I've had to keep her in the bedroom (litter box still there) when I was working on protecting some wires. The fact that I made them seem like snakes or some sort of prey made her constantly come back to bite them, even though I would say "NO" and carry her away from the wires.

:hellocomputer: :hellosmiley:Gypsy always smells terrific, can't really put a name to it but she always smells so good. Sounds like the two of you are settling in great. She sure is a cutie pie.:heartshape:

So twice last night I heard Tali in the litter box. It sounded wet like diarrhea. I got concerned - I have not changed up her diet from her previous caretaker. Two flavors of Wellness Core wet food (the “Kitten” pâté and another pâté that is herring with other flavors).

My bed has white sheets and so do my pillows. Didn’t see any streaks of feces or poo markings. I’ve read that I should wait a day and see if it continues?

Last night I was just worried her butt was going to be up against my face or on my stomach and I’d smell something horrible. Thankfully none of that.
Maybe it was just urine? Gypsy kinda hovers and it sounds like water trickling.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 5:

Between this morning and around 7 at night, I scooped up just one large clump of litter. I think I sifted through the litter box... it's a contrast to yesterday, in which I found a lot of clumps (I could also be getting better at my sifting/scooping).

She's been a troublemaker today... well, more just really curious. I let her in the kitchen some more and she managed to crawl her way into a space I didn't even know existed, next to the oven. She backed out slowly and didn't appear too dirty, just some dust.

Also, I used a brush on her and she liked it... and while she was sleeping I trimmed her nails. It was a loooooong process but I made it work. I also did a few pickup trims while she was awake/rested/coming out of sleep. I talked to her and she didn't put up too much of a fuss, which was really really surprising to me.

I did wash my lower blanket because I found really tiny poop stains, at least I'm guessing those came from last night. Gross! The rest of the bed was clean, as I mentioned before.

You'll like to know what before bringing Tali in, I never owned a pet. I'm a year short of 40 so she's turned my world upside down in good ways and bad, with major adjustments. I wet a rag and wiped her legs and bottom just in case, but didn't seem to wipe any poop. I'm thinking I'll ask the vet to bathe her or have a friend help me for her first time...

I put some dry food next to her wet food (in a separate tiny bowl/saucer), but she hasn't taken to dry anything yet. I even have treats but she doesn't care for them. She sniffs them and doesn't take. Is this morning for a 10 week old kitten?

On a nice note, she's slept beside me every night. But again, I'm the warmest thing in the bedroom in the late hours, haha! The last two days if I am sitting on the floor or around her, after spells where she's meowing at me, she'll just sit on my lap. A true lap cat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That’s good to hear that she loves having her fur brushed and nails trimmed and sleeping with you on the bed. Keep the routine so that she’ll get use to it and as she age, she’ll still let you do it especially the trimming of her claws.

As she is still a kitten, her bladder is not that strong yet and she cannot hold her urine for long and she’ll have to pee several times a day. Her bladder will get stronger as she age and she won’t pee that often and you won’t be able to find so many clumps of urine.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning I heard her go to the litter box and the noises happened again. This time it was there up top: some softer stool. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow (earliest appointment) for an exam and everything.

I've never owned a pet before, so this is turning my world upside down - especially in terms of being a neat/clean freak! I'm also reminding myself that she's just 10 weeks old. We're learning from each other in so many subtle ways :p

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So twice last night I heard Tali in the litter box. It sounded wet like diarrhea. I got concerned - I have not changed up her diet from her previous caretaker. ..
https://thecatsite.com/attachments/6128c616-fd48-4c7e-b554-3a950c0d29e5-jpeg.212309/
(I'm trying to get your litter box photo to display, but can't seem to? Anyway, the link is above!)

A kitten's claws will probably tear right through that plastic liner you have in the litter box (then when you go to throw it away, the bag might be torn and litter could fall everywhere -- just FYI!)

A lot of cats/ kittens don't like too much rustling or movement-of-plasic underfoot when using a litter box, so I myself avoid using a plastic bag liner. Maybe others have different input!

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to one vet the other day.... that vet hospital came recommended but was 35-40 minutes away. Very stressful for Tali. I don't think I will be able to go back there for a few reasons. The staff is seemingly very nice! But the facilities are a bit old, seemed a bit unclean, and smelled strongly of dog treats. Could hear lots of howling and barking dogs via the ventilation system :( Taking her to another vet who is a mere 10 minutes away from home tops and comes recommended as well from another friend (who happens to have raised over 50 cats and works at an animal skincare hospital).

Day 7:

Tali is now 11 weeks old.

Since I brought her home, I moved the litter box from the bedroom to the bathroom (just a few feet from the bedroom door), and Tali's toys are mostly in the living room. My bedroom doesn't feel like a potential stink anymore!

Re: the litter box - the bathroom is fairly small and also shares space with behind-closed-doors washer & dryer. I've had those running and she's still gone into the litter box to do her business, which I hope continues. I am anxious when taking a shower though - I leave the bathroom door partially open in case she needs to go. I worry that if I'm in there long (say, 30 to 45 minutes at worst), will she just go to the bathroom elsewhere?

The taller cat-tree is still next to my bed, and Tali still sleeps next to me every night. I mentioned that I'm kind of a clean/tidy person (clean freak perhaps, haha), so having a pet/litter/poop issues have me washing my hands more than usual.

I've been feeding her the original formula that her previous owner gave her after weening her from her mama cat. And I scoop the litter out once in the morning and once in the evening. No incidents outside of the litter box yet.

She's a complete purr-engine, it's very relaxing and she's a great lap cat.

She meows a lot when:
1. I go to the kitchen and close the baby gate behind me (she's climbed over this twice but hasn't really done it when I am around at night in the last couple of days).
2. In the morning, when her food bowl is empty (I'm feeding her at least 1 full can of 5.5 oz wet food every day??)
3. When I'm nearby and kneeling on the floor, back from work.

I try to ignore her as much as possible when she's meowing needy. ONCE, I resorted to using a water squirter when she was near my TV/media center. But I don't want her to fear me so I stopped after that one time. Aluminum foil did not faze her from walking on it (that and a short coffee table). I've resorted to buying the PetSafe SSSCAT, motion-sensing air sprayers (coming in soon).

I'm replacing my mesh/fabric hamper with an actual solid one since she wanted to climb it and easily toppled it over.

The thing GROSSING ME OUT right now was discovered this morning - I found tiny bits of litter with poop on it in the bathroom, and some on the carpet. Tonight I'll be using my spot cleaner vacuum for the first time, if not just Biokleen and a rag. I know after she goes to the litter box, she'll sit next to me when I go to bed. Actually, she plops onto the bed and stands on my chest. Ugghhhh, I know where those paws have been! >_< I suppose I should get into the habit of wiping her paws or bottom (front to back) and get some natural wipes?? Did you just endure this, cleaning constantly, when your kitten was growing up?

A fellow good friend and multicat owner told me that, because Tali's a baby, she's still not so coordinated with her cleaning, and that the situation will improve. I am being patient and just cleaning up things or storing stuff for now. I have questions about storage (remote controls / etc) but I'll ask in one of our other Forum topics/threads.