Soon-to-be New Cat Owner -updated!

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all :) I wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

I've been lurking for a week, reading a variety of articles here and elsewhere. I like the amount of support that everyone is providing here for all cat owners! I've also gotten tips here and there from friends who currently own cats of all sizes/ages.

After a trip home for the holidays, around the 28th, I'll be bringing a 10-week old kitten (a tortie female) to my 600 square foot apartment. Her current home is a nice, big house by contrast. She lives with three other siblings and mama cat, who gave birth to her in mid-October. The drive is going to be about an hour and a half, and I've already had a pet carrier shipped to my friend who is taking care of the cats.

This all started when I visited my friend for Thanksgiving, a month after their cat gave birth to four adorable kittens (three girls and one boy). I can be allergic to certain breeds of cats, at least I was when I was very young. The last two visits to their cats and kittens though, haven't yielded any major allergies as far as I know.

One week later, said friend asked if I was interested in a kitten (five cats in their home wasn't going to work out for them and it'd be a bit too chaotic :) I told them I was!

I've never owned a pet before. At first, all of the information was very overwhelming. I'm going to be taking care of a new life in my household, you say?! But as I read each day I wake up excited at this prospect.

I've already bought a large litter pan, litter mat, toys, a cat tree, and even a freaking Petcube. I am clearly going to spoil this gal.

Still, I am so nervous about taking care of her. I'm in my late thirties and I've never had a pet. I will be adjusting/acclimating to scooping poop, cleaning messes, and so on. I'm even re arranging my apartment space somewhat to accomodate the kitten. I guess it really makes sense when people say that the cats own them! >_<;;

I work full time and am usually out the door by 6 or 7 and back at 6 or 7. Weekends I generally like to stay home (introvert here with all my entertainments at home). For those of you with a similar lifestyle/work hours: what are your litter box maintenance schedules like? When do you feed your cat?

Many thanks for welcoming me into this space and thanks in advance for dealing with many newcomer-type questions..... :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
99B082B3-F15E-4EF2-9163-939FFC37FD37.gif
James W, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
F7560C1A-281B-42FE-B098-5FDCB7030D0F.jpeg

Glad that you’ve joined the site and find that it has been helpful to you. Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and here some articles to get you around the site :-

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Also do check out the many informative articles here too Articles | The Cat Site

Nice that you are adopting a new kitty and I know you are anxious on how to go about it but don’t you worry, when in doubt just ask and we’ll be glad to help.

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home

And Christmas is just around the corner and a few tips on it :-

11 Must-know Tips To Keep Cats Safe During The Holidays
Cats And Christmas - Tips For Cat Owners
Cats And Christmas Trees

Do post photos of your kitty for us to see once she has settled in. And the last article is this :-

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

Enjoy your stay and and see ya around :wink:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi James! Welcome to TCS! It's so exciting welcoming a new cat home! And believe me, a cat definitely turns a house into a home. Do you have pictures of her? Or thought of a name? It sounds like you're well-prepared with everything she'll need. Set up a safe room for her that's kitten proofed, and expect her to hide and be a little scared at first. But she'll come out of her shell and adjust soon enough.

I have a similar work schedule to yours - I usually feed my cats in the morning before heading out, again when coming home, and then before bedtime. Since she's a young kitten, I would leave food out for her, so she doesn't get hungry during the day. Feed her as much as she wants, preferably more wet food than dry. In terms of litterbox routine, I have two boxes for two cats - I clean them once a day in the evening.

Welcome once again!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I just got my kitty about 3 1/2 months ago, also as an introvert in my 30s with a first sort of pet (minus fish and a short stint with a hamster in high school). You'll be great at it!

As far as routines, I feel like they evolve with time. I'm out 7 - 4 most days (or 5 if I have a staff meeting, or 5:30 if I go to the gym, and close to 8 tonight b/c Christmas concert), but whenever I come home, Lelia ts some play, then she gets some wet food, and then I scoop the litter. She also gets wet food right before bed and I free feed her dry elsewise (but she's a grazer who monitors herself - not every cat can do that).

I think as you get to know your kitten, you'll find your own routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 210189 James W, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm View attachment 210190

Glad that you’ve joined the site and find that it has been helpful to you. Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and here some articles to get you around the site :-

Enjoy your stay and and see ya around :wink:

Hi James! Welcome to TCS! It's so exciting welcoming a new cat home! And believe me, a cat definitely turns a house into a home. Do you have pictures of her? Or thought of a name? It sounds like you're well-prepared with everything she'll need. Set up a safe room for her that's kitten proofed, and expect her to hide and be a little scared at first. But she'll come out of her shell and adjust soon enough.
Here's a picture of her from when I held her the other weekend (I had no idea how to hold properly) and another that my friend/caretaker took today. Says she's a litter box pro... but I apparently she did pee on their couch when I visited (they were playing in a new area of the house, two days new to them, and further away from the litter box in their original space). Her name is originally Olive, but I've got a new name in mind which only my friend (taking care of her currently) knows. I'll feel comfortable telling it to everyone once she's actually resident in my apartment :)

Hello!
I think as you get to know your kitten, you'll find your own routine.
Thanks for the insight :) I haven't bought any specific grass just yet but I was thinking about it. I just ordered a 52-inch cat tree for her that has scratching posts.

My big concern is that she'll want to chew the wires in my home theater setup. I'm buying a new entertainment center that cages off the receiver and electronics, but I won't be able to get it until *after* she comes to my home....

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi James. Welcome to the forum. Your kitten is adorable. My cat chews wires sometimes. I used some sump pump tubing to protect the wires that I couldn't hide behind the bookcase I have all my electronics in. You can just cut off the length you need and feed the wire through or cut the tubing length wise and stick the wires in like that. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to protect is ear buds...I go through a lot of those. If I fall asleep with ear buds in they're usually chewed up when I wake up the next morning...lol

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi James. Welcome to the forum. Your kitten is adorable. My cat chews wires sometimes. I used some sump pump tubing to protect the wires that I couldn't hide behind the bookcase I have all my electronics in. You can just cut off the length you need and feed the wire through or cut the tubing length wise and stick the wires in like that. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to protect is ear buds...I go through a lot of those. If I fall asleep with ear buds in they're usually chewed up when I wake up the next morning...lol
I went through many pairs of earbuds until I started putting them in my purse when I'm done with them. Hasn't been a problem since :thumbsup:

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went through many pairs of earbuds until I started putting them in my purse when I'm done with them. Hasn't been a problem since :thumbsup:
Yea, that's what I need to start doing too. Get used to unplugging them and hiding them when I'm not listening to my ipod. I think it's almost turned into a game for him now. lol

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site ! How exciting new kitten ... I work similar hours too and it can be worrying when they are young although I soon learnt that she’d only have the confidence to explore (play up ) when I was at home too. The main this along with what you already have is to build her a perch at a window so she can look outside. Mine sits or lies there for hours . It sweet when she’s at the Window when I come back from work - it takes a while for her to register it’s me however when she does all you see is her bum in the air as she jumps down and she’s there at the door ready to Great me. She’s good as she has quickly picked up it’s not worth bothering me until the alarm goes in the morning; however when it does, she does a big stretch and gets ready for breakfast. I scoop twice a day and always clean number 2 as soon as she does it lol when she is young you will need to play with her a lot every night to get her tired plus to bond nicely as you will be away all day ! Oh the sleep for many hours so she’ll probably sleep for most time whilst you are working anyhow !

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome!! It's awesome of you to take in this kitty.

My best advice is to be patient. It will likely take some time for you two to settle in perfectly. This will be a learning curve for both of you. Cats have a lot of habits that are weird to us, and vice versa. Just offer as much quality time and patience as you can. If she does something you don't like, try not to scold her but instead redirect her attention or show her what to do instead (ie, if she's scratching on a sofa that you like, put a cardboard scratcher beside it and praise her when she scratches on it). Of course, there is only so much you can teach a cat. They tend to do things their way regardless. ;) :lol:

Sounds like you're going to give her a great, loving home. Hope to see some pics or updates! :D

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions on protecting my wiring :) I picked up a few more Rabalder tubes from Ikea today, in addition to some other things.

I scoop twice a day and always clean number 2 as soon as she does it lol when she is young you will need to play with her a lot every night to get her tired plus to bond nicely as you will be away all day ! Oh the sleep for many hours so she’ll probably sleep for most time whilst you are working anyhow !
My friend was telling me that she's the brave one in their litter currently - she climbed up half the Christmas tree. She's going to climb everywhere once she's here :p I do want to keep her out of the kitchen counters though. I read up on those static-shocker mats. I take it this is a big no-no for a kitten so young....

Welcome!! It's awesome of you to take in this kitty.

My best advice is to be patient. It will likely take some time for you two to settle in perfectly. This will be a learning curve for both of you. Cats have a lot of habits that are weird to us, and vice versa. Just offer as much quality time and patience as you can. If she does something you don't like, try not to scold her but instead redirect her attention or show her what to do instead (ie, if she's scratching on a sofa that you like, put a cardboard scratcher beside it and praise her when she scratches on it). Of course, there is only so much you can teach a cat. They tend to do things their way regardless. ;) :lol:

Sounds like you're going to give her a great, loving home. Hope to see some pics or updates! :D
Will do :) I'm home for the holidays next week, then back here at my apartment. I need to do some more touches on kitten-proofing. There is a cabinet under my sink and also in the bathroom sink where there are cleaners and other toxic chemicals. The cabinet doors aren't strong for either - should I concern myself with those childproof plastic "tabs" that hold the doors together?

Learning curve will be steep. I've lived by myself for most of my adult life and never had to worry about pet maintenance. I joked with friends, "I can barely cultivate a relationship with other human beings... what have I gotten myself into?!"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing that might help while she is still a kitten is confining her to one "safe" room when you are at work or out of the house. That's what friends of mine have been doing with their kitten. They keep food and water, litter box, toys, a radio turned on low and a cat condo to keep him comfortable.

If you can't move the toxic cleaners, and if the doors don't close tightly, yes getting the childproof tabs is probably a good idea.

There will be a learning curve, for sure, but eventually you will probably wonder "why did I wait so long to get a cat".
upload_2017-12-17_9-1-52.jpeg

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing that might help while she is still a kitten is confining her to one "safe" room when you are at work or out of the house. That's what friends of mine have been doing with their kitten. They keep food and water, litter box, toys, a radio turned on low and a cat condo to keep him comfortable.

If you can't move the toxic cleaners, and if the doors don't close tightly, yes getting the childproof tabs is probably a good idea.
View attachment 210329
Thank you :) I will get those tabs today.

Regarding the “safe room”, my apartment is not quite...optimal. Actually, I’m just stubborn :) My bedroom is probably the safest space, whereas the bathroom is too small and has the washer/dryer. The living room/kitchen/entrance is altogether, but there are potentially lots of wires (but I’m addressing that soon). I even blocked the fireplace with particleboard and magnets (I have never used it and finally went to the hardware store to fix that).

Since I’m concerned about litter box smell, would the living room be too big a space or is the smaller bedroom okay? The living room offers a lot more space, but also has a lot more to explore.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, I'm probably not the right person to give you advice, since I adopted an adult cat so I wouldn't have to stress over kitten-proofing my home. But lots of people get kittens, so you just need them to see your message and reply. :)

If you don't get more helpful replies in this thread, you might try posting in the Grooming & General Cat Care forum.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you want to train her not to jump on counters, I would suggest setting up your bedroom as the safe room rather than living room/kitchen area. The best way to prevent counter surfing is to never let it become part of her territory. Which means monitoring her the first couple of times she tries to jump up there and clapping hands loudly/distracting her from the counter before she gets up there. With such an adventurous climber, it may be a losing battle, but at least you've got a chance by keeping her in your bedroom first.

The other nice thing about picking the bedroom is that she'll likely be lonely for a bit as she gets used to not being around her mom and littermates. It'll be comforting for her to be able to sleep with you.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Either room would probably work. When I got my kitten, I kept her in the bathroom. I already had an adult cat who lived in the other areas, and it was the only way to keep them separate. (The bathroom door was the only door in the apartment.) The room proved to be too small and she got annoyed very quickly with having to be in there. But a bedroom would probably be better.

If you start her out in the living room/kitchen area, make sure any spaces underneath appliances are sealed, so she can't get under them. I had to put up some poster board in front of my kitchen walkway for a week after I got my kitten, so she couldn't get in there before I had filled up/covered all the gaps between the oven, the fridge, etc. A general rule I go by is if her head fits in the gap, it's too big and she could squeeze in. It isn't a big deal if it's just, say, a sofa or a cabinet. But I wouldn't let her get under or behind any appliances, where she could get stuck or mess with wires.

If she has some trouble going to the litter box, I would keep her in the room that you'd be more tolerant of her peeing in. Especially if it's a smaller room, she'll learn where the litter box is quicker and will be able to make it there easily. I had some trouble with my kitten peeing in the living area a couple times, because her litter boxes were in the bathroom and the bedroom area. I guess she forgot where they were or didn't feel like going back all the way over there.

If she does pee/poop outside the litter box, simply place her in the box after she eats and scratch around in it with the litter scoop so she recognizes that that's where she's supposed to go in the future. Kittens sometimes need to be reminded.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DOnt worry too much. Grace was left on her own, had bedroom, living room and hall way where her litter tray is during the day! They are not silly and wont get up to too much when you are not there ! Always keep kitchen shut then she knows it’s not her place, grace knows not to climb the sides and only does it to wind me up !!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! It's such a pleasure to welcome someone who is so thoughtful and responsible.

With the right box and right litter, the odor shouldn't be a problem. I've had Hekitty in my apartment for...10 years now, and my manager constantly tells me, "If I didn't know by all the cat toys, I'd NEVER guess you had a cat by the smell!

The best way I've found to keep cats off of counter tops is slightly crinkled aluminum foil. It feels icky to their paws. Also, a "destination," maybe a small cat tree, where they can sit and watch what is going on without being on the counters is a big help. To train not to claw furniture, use double-sided sticky tape, and don't worry...it will only take a few days for her to learn that furniture, as well, feels icky when you try to scratch it.

The safe room should only be necessary for a week or so, while she gets used to her new home. After that, once you have the wires protected, she should be out and about, at least when you are home. I am glad that you closed off the fireplace, though. That could be a disaster!

She's a doll, and I can't wait to welcome her, as well!

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. You think the cat is the on3 that’s about to go through training. Lol.

Very cute kitten, you’re world us about to go upside down. Best decision you’ll ever make.

My tips.

Cleaning products. Safely away in a cupboard. Always. They are lethal. Seriously.
Protect exposed power cables to safeguard the cat. Low voltage cables can be replaced. Cat’s cannot.
You’ll go through a few earbuds before your training is complete.
Keep the noise down for a few weeks
Learn no5 to crash around the place. She’ll want reassurance you are safe

Enjoy it, the kitten phase passes all to quickly. Don’t sweat the small stuff. She’ll be more loving than you can imagine. You’ll be more smitten than you thought possible. And she’ll create more havoc than a whirling dervish. HAve fun