Soon To Be Momma Cat And A 16 Week Old Male... Should I Be Worried?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is just uncomfortable. My cat did this. It could still be a few days. Go with the flow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I new exactly when she was going to give birth would make things so much easier

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today we had an "animal rescue" lady come up to us when me and my boyfriend were talking to our friend about sassy pregnancy at the local grocery store and she said that it was inhumane and cruel to let her give birth to her kittens... Even though she's almost due... I had to really bite my lip and not make a big deal about it but isn't there a certain point in the pregnancy where this is inhumane to do (spaying/aborting the kittens) I know if its the first few weeks that's fine.. But when she's this far along?? Doesn't sassy know by now that she is having babies or is that just my human brain over thinking it and its no big deal?!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So I believe that the general consensus on here is that most people won't recommend a spay/abort after 6 weeks. That is usually my rule of thumb as well. But I will say that being in rescue I can understand where this woman is coming from. All rescues are bursting at the seems with pregnant cats and kittens. It is very frustrating to hear anyone talking about their pregnant cat-regardless of the circumstances. I know people who have been in rescue longer have been known to spout out at people to spay their cats no matter how far along they are- I have had other rescues judge me for not spaying cats after I can feel fetal movement. The truth of it is that each kitten born takes away another home for a cat. It is truly sad.

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know and we were going to spay her but then realized it was too late and she was already pregnant but its one thing to say your opinion but she got mad and was very rude about it. We weren't even having a conversation with her she just butted in and started to tell us how we were being inhumane. I was so offended I didn't even know what to say to her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's best you did not get into an argument with her. I think it is everyone's own personal decision and must be based on numerous factors.

I do not advocate terminating past the halfway point. It can be very difficult for the mom physically and emotionally. I also think that no one should judge another's decision either way.

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does the fluid look like when a cats water breaks?? I saw this amber/ yellow fluid on the ground not sure if its puke or if her water broke... She was right be side it so I'm assuming it was from her kinda slimy I guess but not sure since I cleaned it up already I should have taken a picture .. There is a little by the litter box and there was a bunch by her... Should I be worried? She seems fine just laying on the floor as usual

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best you did not get into an argument with her. I think it is everyone's own personal decision and must be based on numerous factors.

I do not advocate terminating past the halfway point. It can be very difficult for the mom physically and emotionally. I also think that no one should judge another's decision either way.
I'm afraid I would have said something. Like "Excuse me, this is MY conversation, with My friend. Right now I don't need your overbearing opinion an a private subject. But if you'll give me your phone number, then I will call you for your opinion on a subject you know nothing about".

I have no patience for overbearing obnoxious people.

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sassy just puked up half digested food is this normal or should I be worried she was meowing like crazy before she puked :/ she doesn't look as big as she did a few days ago as well :/

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be starting early labor, and like her kittens have "dropped" lower down closer to the birth canal in preparation for delivery soon. This makes cats look smaller.

Keep an eye on her and keep us posted.

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been at work on my lunch break right now came home and she seems alright she ate the wet food I left out for her and didn't puke. I go back to work in 25 minutes and don't get back for 4 hours.. I am hoping if she is in pre labor she can hold off till I get home. Her milk has not come in yet... Is that normal if she is in pre labor?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pre-labor is normal. It can be on and off for several days. Some cats do not get milk until after delivery.

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you for the info was hoping it would happen tonight

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sassy looks even smaller today ... She's still eating and is very affectionate. So weird how she had this huge belly and now its like its not there.. She still has that hard belly just not as big on the sides

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing today, she was licking her area a lot more today more then usual. Her milk still has not come in yet.