Soon To Be Momma Cat And A 16 Week Old Male... Should I Be Worried?

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Sassy(momma cat) first litter she is roughly 7-8 months old. We don't know how far along she is and we never even knew she went into heat .. but she has a big belly and her nipples are big and seem like they are peeling? Anyways i am very concerned because we have a 16 week old male cat Dusty who I am concerned he may try to kill the kittens when they are born... Should I give him to my parents to look after when the babies arrive or see how it goes? Is there any way with out going to the vets to know how far along she is? We don't have a vet close by and our car is in the shop :(! Any other advice would be awesome we have a bed set up for her just in case she delivers soon and yes we are going to be spaying her after she is done with the babies and we are also nutering the boy in a month or so.
This is Sassy
20170718_162815_Film2.jpg
20170718_162819_Film2.jpg
20170714_132528_Film2.jpg

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a pretty girl! l would suggest keeping her separated from the male until 6+ weeks after he's been neutered. She can get pregnant again almost immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a pretty girl! l would suggest keeping her separated from the male until 6+ weeks after he's been neutered. She can get pregnant again almost immediately.
Hes only 16 weeks so I wasn't sure if he was even able to do the deed

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness. l read "16 months." My fault. l am unsure about 16 weeks. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in soon! =)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think if his testicles have descended, then he will be able to do the deed. I doubt if he will kill Sassy's kittens, but I'd be worried that she might get pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is probably not able to mate quite yet, but his male hormones will be coming in soon, earlier than you think. If you keep them separated there will not be issues.

Getting him neutered asap before he hits sexual maturity will save you and him a lot of headaches.

Your cat sounds very close to the end. Her nipples are probably dry and chapped, so applying olive or coconut oil to them will help.

When did you begin to see and/or feel kitten movement in her belly? It's usually 2-3 weeks after that until labor begins.

Keep us posted!

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think if his testicles have descended, then he will be able to do the deed. I doubt if he will kill Sassy's kittens, but I'd be worried that she might get pregnant.
They have no descended yet as far as I can tell lol

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is probably not able to mate quite yet, but his male hormones will be coming in soon, earlier than you think. If you keep them separated there will not be issues.

Getting him neutered asap before he hits sexual maturity will save you and him a lot of headaches.

Your cat sounds very close to the end. Her nipples are probably dry and chapped, so applying olive or coconut oil to them will help.

When did you begin to see and/or feel kitten movement in her belly? It's usually 2-3 weeks after that until labor begins.

Keep us posted!
Today I felt her belly and it seemed to me that I felt the body of a baby but I'm not 100% sure. There is a bit of what looks like dried blood on her to top nipples shoukd I be worried?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I said, her nipples sound like they are dry, chapped, and now cracking. Please apply udder cream, bag balm, olive oil, or coconut oil to them daily to moisturize and heal them. These are non-toxic to mom and the kittens. Mom will appreciate the relief it will offer! :)

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I said, her nipples sound like they are dry, chapped, and now cracking. Please apply udder cream, bag balm, olive oil, or coconut oil to them daily to moisturize and heal them. These are non-toxic to mom and the kittens. Mom will appreciate the relief it will offer! :)
Okay I will do that any other advice I should know this is my first time having a pregnant cat. Thank you for all the advice so far!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Advice I would have is to make sure you are feeding mom kitten food and canned food. I would have KMR, needless syringes, kitchen scale, and honey on hand in case you need it! I hope all goes well with her!

laurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ashade, why honey?
(I also have a pregnant cat)

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice I hope all goes well this is her first litter and mine too so I'm a bit nervous !

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm buying some kmr and wet kitten food this weekend. Had a friend over last night who has had a pregnant cat before says we have 2-3 weeks yet. Her nipples are standing up but are not actually swelling yet. And Apparently her belly doesn't look big enough yet. I have the syringes in case we need to do it that way but I hope not since me and my boyfriend both work full time. Will be buying some honey this weekend as well. Should I have the kitten pee pads on the top of the bedding in her nest I set up or some blankets I read a bunch and it said it can get very messy and that I don't want to disturb them Too much or put the queen in a more stressful situation?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When she goes into labor it's nice to put pee pads on top of the bedding so after she delivers you can just pull them out easily. Underneath will be the fresh, dry, clean bedding for mom and kittens. :)

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little update. Sassy has started to wonder into our closet witch she never goes into does this mean she is starting to look for a place to give birth? She has started to really get bigger... Will sit in front of us just meow right at us. Then goes and lays down on her belly with her front legs fully stretched out and kinda like she is praying lol is that a normal thing she has never done this before. I hope she's not in pain!

Robyn Q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also cleaning her self a lot!