Some Advice Please!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for being so supportive! I'm still over the moon happy to have her home. She has been Sooooo lovable and sweet since yesterday..I think she's happy to be home :)

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Posting from the parking lot of the vets office. It appears my girl is healthy after her little adventure but apparently she had a friend somewhere along the way. She is about 5 weeks pregnant. My bubble is somewhat burst..lol. He was checking her out and did this hmmm thing and then asked me again how long she had been gone. Took her back and checked with ultrasound and definitely pregnant. I actually thought this could be possible but didn't want to say it out loud for fear of making it true. I don't really think she is "showing" as of yet. Could ultrasound give false positive? Finally got a peek at her nipples while at the vet and they do look a little larger than they did before she took off but not super pink. I think I'm going to do something I rarely do..I'm going to call in "sick" today. Lol

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't believe ultrasounds can give false positives because he must have been looking at some kitten embryos. Will you spay her?

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will spay her after the kittens are born. They told me they can do it 4 weeks after the birth. He said at that point the babies will be ok for a few hours without her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may as well wait until at least 6 weeks after birth to spay her. Four weeks is too soon. Eight weeks is recommended.

Did he say how many embryos they saw on the ultrasound? If not, call back and ask.

They just begin to show around the five-week mark.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok then.. I guess it's really happening this time..lol. At least I'm prepared since I thought she was before

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess it is. I feel all emotional about it..lol. It has been an emotional week though.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew for sure when she mated. Vet said about 5 weeks so I keep expecting her to all of a sudden be showing..lol. I can clearly feel her nipples when I run my hand over her belly and she feels a little lumpy I think. She does look bigger just not pregnant bigger.
Worried about her diet..she is still picky about her wet food..she will only lick all the juice off and leave the chunks. I have purchased so many different types of food since she has been home and none of them are good enough
She is much more cuddly than she was before. Not sure if that is due to the pregnancy or if she is just really happy to be home.
I've been on here reading a lot!!! I think I am ready for this :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant cats are very affectionate due to hormones.

If she enjoys gravy but not the food, get her the gravy packets. :)

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are the gravy packets enough nutrition?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not by themselves. She needs unlimited dry kitten chow too. The packs are intended as a supplement.

Since she's not eating the wet food anyway, the gravy packs give her more of what she likes.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok..that makes me feel better. I did switch her dry food back to kitten food so she should be good :) thank you

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Attaching a couple of pics to see what you all think. Since I don't know exactly when she mated I don't know if she's on schedule for "showing". I am noticing a definite thickeni g in her tummy and it feels firm and sort of lumpy. Sometimes she looks pregnant and sometimes not so much. She is so sweet and cuddly right now. Only problem is she is waking me off an on all night to get loves..lol. Her appetite hasn't really increased very much but she is so picky. She does share a yogurt with me everyday:) The vet put a rough due date of middle of September. Wish I knew for sure

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can get an ultrasound now, or an x-ray in a couple of weeks when it's safer. It would show gestational age and how many.