Some Advice Please!!!!

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please someone tell me if what I think happened actually happened. Last night my 11 month old cat started putting her butt in the air being really cuddly. It was pretty subtle though. This morning she jumped out a window and I couldn't find her before I had to leave. I came home 6 hours later and didn't see her but there was a strange cat in the yard (tom). I called her for about 10 minutes and she came out from under the woodpile. The Tom was in there as well. It took me a couple minutes to get her to come to me. I brought her in and set her on the floor and she flopped down and stretched out on her side and rubbed her face all over the floor. She's never done that before. She was kind of chirpy and purring. Seemed very happy. Then the butt came back up..she has been sleeping for awhile now. So..did she do the deed and could she be pregnant from just one time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she continues raising her butt and flirting does that mean she didn't take?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I know kittens in a litter can have different fathers and the mother cats often mate multiple times. So she likely is now pregnant.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its as all said. If you want kittens, you dont need try more.

If you dont want kittens, let spay her as soon you can arrange it. Although preferably after the heat is over. (the mating as such doesnt end the heat). As the surgery is more complicated during heat.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't want kittens..lol. I had planned to spay anyway. I think she has been in heat before but never acted quite this horribly. How long will this part last? It's pretty annoying and I feel sorry for her..lol

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its as all said. If you want kittens, you dont need try more.

If you dont want kittens, let spay her as soon you can arrange it. Although preferably after the heat is over. (the mating as such doesnt end the heat). As the surgery is more complicated during heat.
So she probably got pregnant today? How long will this heat last if she is pregnant? It's really horrible

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she probably got pregnant today? How long will this heat last if she is pregnant? It's really horrible
She hasn't tried to get out again since I brought her in.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One other thing I forgot to mention..she was walking kind of funny when she came in..oh lord!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get her spayed ASAP! Heat usually lasts about a week, you don't have to wait until the heat is over to spay... it is just a little longer of a procedure. Some vets charge more, but they also charge more if she is pregnant.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do keep her in, and get her in to be spayed this week. It will be no different than the normal procedure.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't afford to get her spayed this week and there are no vets close. I will make the appointment though and start figuring out how to pay for it. It can't happen until I get paid until the 10th of June. She has been asleep for the past 3 hours and we didn't hear any meowing last night. I think she slept through the night

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you need help finding a low cost clinic? It would be ideal to do before 6/10. Some vets will take payment plans.

Whatever you do, I recommend acting quickly. A spay is way, way less expensive than a litter and possible emergency vet fees.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll be about a month in the pregnancy at that time, almost halfway through. It would be better to spay/abort earlier than that if at all possible. Can you borrow the money? Most vets prefer not to extend credit but if it's a small-town vet who knows you and knows how you get paid they might be willing to let you pay later. It is possible to do a later spay/abort but the vet may charge extra and it's slightly riskier, so it would be way better to do it sooner.

The act of mating does bring them out of heat (not sure why people said it doesn't) so she'll probably be feeling better now.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would think it WOULD bring them out of heat because everything I have read said they ovulate within 24 to 48 hours after mating. She does seem to be feeling much better so I am assuming she will probably be pregnant. I will do what I can to get her spayed asap. I just don't have a lot of options right now. If I can't get it done sooner than the 10th I may wait until she has the litter ( assuming she IS pregnant). She should have already been spayed but sometimes life gets on the way and things don't get done. I hope people don't think I am an irresponsible pet owner. I have been thrown a few curve balls in the past few months and things have not gone as planned.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost clinic.

My concern is that if cost is an issue, you are going to have a real problem affording care for mom and litter. Not meaning to judge at all, but kittens are expensive!

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are no low cost clinics within a distance I can travel. I realize that kittens CAN be expensive if they get ill. I can do all the shots and worming if need be. At this point I don't even know of she is pregnant.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no low cost clinics within a distance I can travel. I realize that kittens CAN be expensive if they get ill. I can do all the shots and worming if need be. At this point I don't even know of she is pregnant.
Kittens are expensive even without an emergency. They require (a lot of!) food, formula, woming, vaccinations, etc. And you're right that you need savings in case of an emergency.

It takes very little for a cat to be pregnant. Assume she is. Talk to your vet about options, or ask someone to lend you some money until next month.