Some Advice Please!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am almost feeling attacked here. You don't know anything about my personal situation or what I can or cannot do right now..or why. I am doing the best I can do in my current situation. I just needed to ask some questions. I am not a pet owner who does not take care of my babies. I do the best I can.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would delete that if I could..sorry. For reasons I can't and won't get into right now..I don't have any options until next payday. Thank you all for your advice:)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nobody is attacking you. But if you've never had kittens, you (and I'm using a general 'you') don't understand how expensive they are. I foster for a shelter and they are supposed to supply everything. But because they work on donations only, they don't . I've had to buy KMR, goats milk, litter, canned food, kitten kibble, bottles etc... Plus, the laundry hasn't stopped and that's a lot of electricity.
Everyone here is just trying to let you know that spaying now is your best option. Trust me, I understand that stuff happens and funds just aren't there sometimes. But if there is anyway you can do it, it should be done quickly.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your local animal shelter to see if they offer low cost spay and neuters. My animal shelter fixes animals for free as long as you donate in some way as in dog or cat food, etc.

Nobody is attacking you or means any harm. And I certainly didn't mean to offend you. A spay is the best way to go if you don't want kittens. Kittens and proper nutrition for her cost way more than a spay. That is why we are recommending you to spay her.

And if you end up letting her have them; well don't be afraid to ask advice. We're just here to help. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if you've never raised kittens before, it's hard to know how much they cost. First of all, while nursing, the mama cat will need up to 3 times the normal amount of food! And she should have at least some wet food to keep her properly hydrated so that costs more. Then once the kittens are eating, they eat like horses. And go through a ton of litter. Buying vaccines and de-wormer yourself is cheaper than a vet of course, but still not free. And of course that's only if everything goes perfectly: the mama doesn't need a c-section and the babies don't get sick or injured.

It really is cheaper to spay than to raise a litter, that's why if someone says they can't afford a spay we try to help them find an option, because we don't want anybody to get into worse financial trouble. :lovecat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
B Bailey2

Hi! Welcome to TCS! :wave3:

Where are you located? City and state.

I'll check for a lower cost clinic for you. Even if you decide to let her have the kittens, you'll need the clinic later. :)

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
B Bailey2

Hi! Welcome to TCS! :wave3:

Where are you located? City and state.

I'll check for a lower cost clinic for you. Even if you decide to let her have the kittens, you'll need the clinic later. :)
Thank you..I know where the cheapest clinic is :) I just can't do anything until the 10th. I will be fine after that. I'll just say this since no one here knows me anyway. I fled from a DV situation. It took everything I had and more to get into the house I'm in now. It has been a rough few months but I am going to fine.:) I guess I just wanted confirmation that what I saw yesterday meant that there is a good chance my cat is pregnant. I completely understand the need for neutering and spaying and it my intention to do just that when I can. Thank you for the help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope that you feel safe now in your living situation. You are to be commended for getting out of a bad situation. You sound very responsible, and I know you intend to take good care of your cat.

We are here to help with any and all questions or concerns, so please keep us updated. :)

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will let you know what happens. She is much much quieter today..so there was only really one day of her acting very much in heat ( the day she escaped of course) she is mostly sleeping today. If I pet her the butt goes up and she cries a bit.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new living living situation. You should be extremely proud.

Please keep us posted!

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So..heat seems to be completely over. She is playing and acting normal. Heat (butt in the air and crying) started Monday eve..found her with the male cat Tuesday afternoon and heat symptoms got progressively less. Now nothing. That isn't a great sign is it?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that means she is most likely pregnant. They go out of heat when they've mated.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok...thank you. What signs of pregnancy might I start seeing?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't see much until she is three weeks along and her nipples pink up.

Have you talked to any vets or clinics about a pay plan?

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's not possible..i explained that before :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not possible..i explained that before :)
I know you said you were short on cash until June, but I don't remember you discussing talking to the vet about options. My mistake if I missed that.

Bailey2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't say I spoke with a vet. Sorry..i think I just said it wasn't possible. I moved to a new area..very remote. I don't know anyone here and my job is very new. The nearest vet is an hour away and my job is 45 mins the opposite direction. I am working 6 days a week to try to "catch up". Even if I could afford to have her spayed right now I can't afford to jeopardize my new job to take time off. I have a child to take of. I'm doing what I can do. :)