Small Cell Lymphoma (recently Diagnosed Kitty)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Plumeria Plumeria I’m so sorry to hear about your kitty’s death. It takes a long time to recover from, something not everyone understands. Sending you a lot of comforting hugs.

How did you come by the handle “plumeria”? Another name for the plumeria tree is Frangipani and that’s my kitty’s name. Funny coincidence.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Plumeria Plumeria I’m so sorry to hear about your kitty’s death. It takes a long time to recover from, something not everyone understands. Sending you a lot of comforting hugs.

How did you come by the handle “plumeria”? Another name for the plumeria tree is Frangipani and that’s my kitty’s name. Funny coincidence.
Oh, that is funny indeed. I picked Plumeria because it’s one of my favorite flowers. Frangi is a cute name for a cute kitty❤ How long has she been on CHOP? If the first or second dose doesn’t work, I’d go holistic and give her turmeric. I’ll take a look at the book The Veterinarian’s Guide to Natural Remedies for Cats when I go home and add more info. Chemo added nothing but misery to Leroy and wish I had stopped after the first dose. Woulda coulda shoulda.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ginger is doing well after his third ultrasound and monthly blood work. The last ultrasound (three months ago) showed great improvement, and the most recent one this month was even better. The oncologist reduced his leukeran and prednisolone to twice per week. He still gets a monthly B12 shot.

We are thrilled about his progress and owe a lot to his primary doctor who first suspected that he had a serious illness and ensured that we took the appropriate steps with regard to his diagnosis and treatment, and to his oncologist, whose protocol appears to be working wonders. Of course we are nervous about the future, but we have a good team around us.

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ginger is still doing well, but he doesn't want to consume Nature's Variety LID rabbit anymore. This is the food that really has helped him through his illness. I've purchased the NV regular rabbit, which he likes a little more, but it has some ingredients that I don't like for him. I need another food that is LID and also doesn't have carrageenan, guar gum, etc. Any recommendations?

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I've looked through the ingredients on a lot of the food that is out there. Ginger can't have poultry, fish, beef, or any of the gums (thickeners), so my only options are to continue with the NV LID rabbit that he doesn't seem to like much right now. His intestines have been so greatly improved that I don't really want to change it, so I'm taking a stab at adding things to it. Yesterday I fried a lamb chop without any type of seasoning for shredding. I mixed it in his food along with some nutritional yeast. It worked, he gobbled it up. Just hoping that it doesn't affect him negatively. I can't use treats because they all have chicken or fish in them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about some of the freeze dried treats - orijen has a boar treat, for example...

Oh, by the way as a quick mention, I'm reading that too much/too often of the nutritional yeast can possibly cause higher uric acid which could cause kidney issues, so just to be aware :).

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the freeze dried treats raw? His vet has told me not to feed him anything raw while he's on chemo and pred.

I'm trying not to give him more than 1/8 of a teaspoon per day of the nutritional yeast. Thanks for alerting me to the uric acid problem. Maybe he will be satisfied with just the lamb added to his food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd never thought about that, but yes, they're still raw. I'm sorry :sigh:. Maybe later on you'll be able to venture into that for him.
In the meantime it sounds like your excellent idea of the lamb is working, good on you!

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish that I had read more about a raw diet for cats years ago. Yes, maybe sometime later we can explore that option.

Thanks again.