Small Cell Lymphoma (recently Diagnosed Kitty)

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the pred gave my cat some appetite, more like grunting when she eats. After a week on pred, she has shown some signs on improvement on her blood work. But she started getting anemic and the vet has ruled out kidney disease or infection as we did blood work for those. That's why she started on leukeran right away. I hope her blood count starts to get better slowly because the cancer is causing it to drop.

I am glad Ginger is doing well. I guess these things take time and I have to be patient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Even though Ging is doing well, I still worry a lot.

As the oncologist tells me, the response time of the treatment varies so much, so it's hard to say what is normal.

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good start!

By the way, you mentioned drooling yesterday. Ginger sometimes drools on leukeran day after he's been asleep for a long time.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How's your kitty? Is she eating?
I finally got something she likes - Fancy Feast dry food. Although she eats small portion, but many meals a day. And she drinks more now too. So it's a good start. I am not giving her any supplements or anti-nausea meds since she doesn't like them, so the pred and leukeran will do it for now.

Her energy is still not picking up 100%, but she's doing better than last few weeks. She perks up after her leukeran, so I hope that's a good sign.

Thanks! I rely on your post and comments.

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nice to hear that she is eating a little better. It is a good sign that she is perking up after leukeran.

In the past, before he was diagnosed, Ginger would stop eating the food that made him sick, similar to what a human would do. I had to feed him food with a spoon initially, because he wasn't walking over to his food dish. Turns out he liked eating off a spoon, and that was the best way for us to introduce him to new food.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Yes, it is nice to see she's eating and drinking. The pred does make her moody, like she wants to be left alone. Other times, she is back to usual self, loves to cuddle and be petted.

Good call! I couldn't understand why she didn't want to come to her food bowl in the early stages when she got sick. Yes, I did try using a spoon and it helped a lot. She still favors dry food, so I am going to let it be for now. She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I am just hoping for tiny bit of good news.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, today's visit was not bad. Doctor said she is somewhat stable, but probably a long way to go for recovery. I have to be patient since today was only her 3rd dose of leukeran.

We have another appointment next week to see her progress. Today, she was more social and a little more active and I am happy to see that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes we measure our triumphs in baby-steps. More social and more active is a bigger step than you might realize. It means that she feels that she has a decent quality of life!

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, today's visit was not bad. Doctor said she is somewhat stable, but probably a long way to go for recovery. I have to be patient since today was only her 3rd dose of leukeran.

We have another appointment next week to see her progress. Today, she was more social and a little more active and I am happy to see that.

So glad you provided an update. Very positive news! And your attitude is terrific. Your kitty is blessed to have you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement, Mamanyt1953!
That's what we're here for! We celebrate, mourn, uphold, uplift, advise...all of us. At some point, a member will need exactly what you can give. And that's why I no longer belong to a LOT of other cat sites out there. This truly is a community, in every sense of the word other than physical proximity!