Small Cell Lymphoma (recently Diagnosed Kitty)

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
C cookiebeast Is your kitty eating? I saw your question about Cerenia so I was concerned that her eating hasn't picked up more.
Yesterday was a pretty rough day for Truffles (that's my cat's name). She was handling the chemo well before but she was more tired yesterday. I made sure she ate before I gave her leukeran.

After her dose of pred in the evening, she wasn't into eating. I managed to get 2 spoonfuls of wet food and some water but she threw up (which is small bits of saliva and mini food) after using litter box. I am suspecting she's nauseated as she is interested in food as she was sniffing at my dinner but turn her head away and smacking her lips. I had to give her Cerenia but reduced the dosage as I was concerned about her empty stomach.

Although she drools a lot, she finally ate some few minutes ago. I need to find a better way to handle her nauseous and her appetite. She's not eating as much as I hope for. Usually half a can and half a cup of dry food on her best day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry Truffles had a rough day. On occasion, Ginger throws up after using the litter box. In Ginger's case, it's from straining. In the beginning of treatment, this was happening more. If he hadn't eaten just before using the litter box, he would throw up saliva. If he had a couple of bites of food before that, he would throw up the food. But then afterward, he would eat all he wanted and that would stay down. I started putting canned pumpkin in his food for added fiber, since we realized he may be a little constipated at times. I don't have to add the pumpkin anymore because he isn't really constipated now and he's eating more. Truffles may have an entirely different problem, but if you and the vet think she may have a tendency to get constipated, I'm sure the vet will tell you to use an over-the-counter remedy or possibly pumpkin. I think it was happening to Ginger because his appetite was not consistent in the beginning. One day he would eat a lot and then the next not as much, so the stool didn't have enough oomph to travel. Ginger seemed to enjoy eating the pumpkin, but not all kitties do.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is feeling drowsy now because of the Cerenia. She had some kitten food (supposedly higher calories) earlier this morning. I am going to wait for her to wake up later today and maybe feed her more.

Not sure what happened yesterday. It's the first time she threw up and although it's not much - it worries me. Our appointment is tomorrow - which I have to discuss the vet on how to help her eat more. I really believe the leukeran wiped her energy and appetite yesterday, like it was the first time.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Truffles. I am heartened to hear that she ate a bit this morning. Is she keeping this down better?
She kept the kitten food I gave her. No throwing up. I am going to let her sleep now and hopefully she feels better when she wakes up.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The trip to the doctor was not good. Ultrasound shows the lymphoma is now a large grade cell and it's pretty agressive :(

At this point, I am not sure what to do. She is obviously in pain. I am very heartbroken. I am trying out one more thing to see if it works.

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm saddened to hear that Truffles' illness has gotten progressively worse and that she is in so much pain. Wow, it really escalated quickly. If I'm not mistaken, Truffles was diagnosed with small cell not that long ago. What method was originally used to diagnose the small cell?

You are trying out one more thing, so I'll be thinking of you and Truffles. Hoping and praying for the best. Keep us posted.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she was diagnosed small cell lymphoma via surgery biopsy. There's also a 'gray area' which they can't determine what's going on till they send blood work to the lab and the only labs that will do it is in Colorado or Michigan and will take up to 5 business days. It's basically the same timeline when I started treating her. So, doctors suggested to go ahead with first line of treatment. I guess the cancer has progressed rapidly.

I am trying out Elspar by injection. She is getting the fluids, blood transfusion and Elspar (chemo) right now. If the lymphoma shrinks by the next few days, that means she has a fighting chance. If not, it's probably the best time to make her comfortable as much as I can and let her go. As saddened and heartbroken as I am, I can't let her go through more pain. She is a fighter and fights silently but I can see that she is also very very tired and weak.

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
C cookiebeast I'm so very sorry that Truffles is going through this, and I can really feel your pain. You are an incredible mom to Truffles, and you will know what is best for her. I'm sure of that.

I don't know of similar experiences with large cell lymphoma, so I realize that I'm not much help, but I will be trying to harness as much positive energy about Truffles as I can.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ginger Tabby Ginger Tabby Thank you for your kind words. I am trying my best to make the right decision, but I have to be careful on Truffles quality of life. It seems I don't have much options and trying this option will probably show me the decision in the next few days.

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ginger Tabby Ginger Tabby Thank you for your kind words. I am trying my best to make the right decision, but I have to be careful on Truffles quality of life. It seems I don't have much options and trying this option will probably show me the decision in the next few days.
How is Truffles doing on Elspar?

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is Truffles doing on Elspar?
Unfortunately Truffles did't make it :( I had her put to sleep about 1.5 weeks ago. She wasn't improving and after I got her checked out from the vet, she is most likely going to have more complications. It was a very difficult decision as I can see that she was in a lot of pain. She just wasn't strong enough.

I'll be checking this site regularly. I have another cat who's 14 that I am monitoring much closely now. Thanks again for all your recommendations and I hope Ginger will recover 100% soon.

Ginger Tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Truffles. You did your best with a very, very difficult decision. I'm sure she was grateful to have such a caring owner/friend. I wish you well.

Thanks for your kind and positive wishes for Ginger.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
C cookiebeast I am terribly sorry about your baby. Large cell lymphoma is a devastating disease. I lost my Leroy to it too. Since it’s only been a week for you, it must be so hard for you right now. It’ll be 1 month for me this Friday and I’m still struggling. I think we have to keep in mind that we did what we could with the knowledge and tools we had, and make peace with it. The love and bond we have with our babies is forever. You were the greatest source of comfort for Truffles during her last days, and throughout her life. She loves you and is still with you.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
C cookiebeast I am so, so sorry about Truffles. You did the kind thing for her even though your own heart was breaking.

I’m dealing with the same problem in my Frangi. When to give up? She has small cell lymphoma but has failed prednisolone/chlorambucil. We have started more aggressive treatment with CHOP but she’s not doing well and looks miserable. How long to go on? It’s not the first time I’m dealing with the question but it doesn’t seem to get any easier. Sigh.