Should I Let My Cat's Sister Nurse Her Babies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I know that. They aren't leaving untill 12 weeks, but I want to know what to do when the time does come. I have alot of friends interested, and other people who want them. I'm asking for a rehoming fee, and asking questions about what kind of people they are, and stuff. Yes the Mom's are both inside now.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend having the kittens leave gradually, over a week or so.

I would also guarantee that the new owners will be spaying and neutering within a month or so of adopting, and that they will never declaw. Are you making sure of these things? Also make sure they know that you will take the kittens back if anything were to change, ever.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. Thank you. Yah I've said the same thing to everyone that's interested. One of the people interested is even a vet so the one they take will for sure be spayed, or neautered. And I told the people if something happens, and they can't afford to fix them I'll help out with it, cuz I don't want them breeding. And once the Mom's are done nursing they are getting spayed too.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. :) Like I said I like to be prepared.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also Sister has been bringing mice, and just now a squirrel in for her babies? Should I stop them from eating that kind of stuff, or at they too young?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cats should not be going outside at all. They do not need to get pregnant again.

And no, they should not be eating mice or squirrels.

Are you feeding them plenty of cat food?

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No there is some hole somewhere she keeps getting out of, but we can't find it. I have appointments for them to be spayed as soon as they kittens are gone. Yes they have a huge bowl of food that is full at all times. We took the squirrel from her, and he was still alive, and well so we released him, and the mouse she brought in before. I just wanted to be sure. Thank you.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would strongly recommend spaying sister now so this does not happen again. This is a big risk!

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The babies are only 4, or 5 weeks. Is that too young?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms are usually spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Are both moms still nursing kittens?

If one is not, she can be spayed now.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! We have the first Mama cat spayed. Her lasting little girl is almost 11 weeks old so when she came home, even though she doesn't nurse anymore, we made sure to separate them. We are waiting until the other litter is a little more weaned to get that Mama fixed. They still nurse alot, and the vet said it's ok to wait to have her fixed until they are a little more weaned. Just thought I would update everyone.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures of all the cuteness we have around here!

Attachments

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey. So I have another question. All the cats we have left are fully inside cats now, and all spayed, however, this has made them gain weight, cuz they can't go outside, and run it off. So I have an over one year old cat, a 7 month old cat, a 4 month old cat, and a little boy kitten we found orphaned as a newborn so we took him in, and the Mom nursed him, and stuff, and he is I'm guessing around 2 months old now, or close. I had to have food out pretty much all the time for him while he was growing, so they other ones ate too, and are alot pudgier now. Anyway my question is how much food should I feed them a day? They all differ in ages so I'm not sure if they need different amount of food, or not.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now they all eat together. I go in the room, and feed them, and they all come running, and eating. It is possible to separate them for feedings if I have too. Oh, and the Mom still nurses the little boy from time to time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to feed the older overweight cats separately for sure.

What food are you feeding? Wet, dry, or both? How much and how often?

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They all eat dry cat food now. Mama, and the baby boy were on Kitten food, but now they all eat normal cat food. I usually feed them 2 or 3 times a day, or add a little bit of food if I see one of the dishes is empty, but I don't do that now that the baby doesn't need access to food all the time. I have 4 dishes in there, and I usually split a cup of food between 2 dishes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ideally, the 2-month-old and four-month-old kittens would stay on kitten chow until they are at least 6 months old. Feed them separately 3-4 times a day.

The older cats can eat 2-3 times a day without the kittens. Give them each their own bowl to eat from for now. Each cat would get just under 1/3 cup of food at each of 3 feedings.

You'll want to switch to a high protein dry food such as Purina One makes that is formulated for indoor cats.

Make sure they have 24-hour access to fresh water at all times.

You should also try to play with the cats twice a day for 30 minutes with wand toys they can chase to get them to run around.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. I didn't know they needed to be in kitten food after that long. I'll go pick more up today. Thank you. I definitely appreciate it. Yah we have a cat food made for indoor cats. Yes they have lots of water they can drink at any time. I like spend 1 on 1 time with each of the cats playing, and loving on them, and then all of them together. They love it.