Should I Let My Cat's Sister Nurse Her Babies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You CAN put flea medicine on mom, and it should help with the fleas on the kittens.

Advantage II for cats is safe for pregnant and nursing moms. Put a tube on the back of mom's neck.

You can put the one for kittens on their necks when they are 5 weeks old.

I do not advise bathing mom or kittens right now.

Do NOT use Hartz or Sentry products. They are not safe at all!

How's the sister doing?

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question. I noticed some fleas on the babies. They are 10 days old today. I had already called, and asked the vet if I could put flea medicine on Mom, or if I should wait, and she said definitely wait, and use a flea comb, or bath Mom. So I was just wondering if there is anything I can do besides sitting there all day picking the fleas off the babies one by one?
I'm fairly sure that you can bathe the babies using Dawn dish soap and this should kill the fleas.

I'm not entirely certain though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. When I called they were 4 days old, and they told me not to put medicine on her. We have some Advantage I'll put on her. Sister is doing good. Definitely acting pregnant. She is eating less, sleeping more, and keeps finding boxes, and almost like trying them out by laying in them, and stretching out so when she does I just take her to the box we made up for her.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question. Sister still hasn't had her babies. We are keeping an eye on her, and she is definitely getting bigger! My question is Mama cats babies are 2 weeks old, and 2 days old. I know it's not time yet, but I want to get stocked up on the food they need. Should I get them wet kitten food, or dry kitten food for when they start weaning?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens will need both dry kitten chow available 24/7, and several wet food meals daily.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Do I start out giving them wet food, or just have them able to get to both?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens begin to wean at 5-6 weeks, not all at the same time. Soft, pate-style wet food is best at first.

The kitten chow can be made available at any time. Most kittens will eat it initially softened with water or kitten formula. After a few weeks they will eat it dry, along with wet food meals.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have another question. Mama started out having 4 babies, but one died the day after birth. So the three she had left we're all nursing fine, but then the little girl was definitely small, and I just assumed she was the runt. Then the bigger two kept pushing, and clawing her off the nipple so every time Mama came in to feed them I would make sure she got enough milk. Then I noticed she was kind of flat almost. Like her ribs, or something are messed up, and instead of being round like the other ones. I'll upload some pictures. They are 2 weeks, and 5 days old today. I'm going to call tomorrow, and see when we can get in to see a vet, but I just wanted to know if anybody else has had anything like this before? I wonder if it was from birth she got hurt, or what? She's up to par with her siblings though. She keeps up with them just fine, and walks normally, and plays, and everything. It doesn't seem to be cause her pain.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's call flat-chested kitten syndrome. It's a birth defect, but can be fixed if you start working with her right away.

Her rib cage is not rounded like it should be, but instead curves inward. If it's not corrected it can become difficult for her to breathe down the road, as the rib cage needs to expand to cover her growing organs.

Here is another thread where it is discussed:

Flat Chested Kitten Syndrome??

You'll need to make a vest that puts pressure on the sides of the rib cage and keeps her elevated enough to force the rib cage to grow outwards.

A toilet paper roll works well!

We have other threads as well about it.

She is young enough for it to be corrected as she grows.

Do not expect the vet to be much help. Many vets have little to no experience with this.

Good you noticed this!

:)

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! How long, and often do I need to put the toilet paper roll on? I'm just so happy it's fixable. She has definitely become my favorite, because I have to watch over over, and make sure she's ok all the time. I would be heartbroken if something happened to her, or any of them. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to cut it and craft it into a vest that fits her, with arm holes and yarn to hold it together.

There are pictures in the thread about it.

As she grows, you'll need to make a new and bigger one.

She should wear it all the time once she gets used to it, until her rib cage is normal.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Do you know exactly how "tight", or much pressure there should be? Like should I be able to fit a finger in it, or no? The article said something about hurting her if it's too tight. Is she going to have to wear it for life, or basically until I notice her ribs are fine?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Until her ribs are normal.

Just tight enough to put light pressure on her rib cage. You'll need to experiment.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. I'll try, and figure it out, and if I have anymore questions I'll ask. Thank you! At least there is some hope!

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think an Ace Bandage would work fine as long as I put supports in it?

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And also should I use as support? Would cotton balls work?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, the bandage will not work. It will compress, which is the opposite of what needs to happen.

It needs to be a vest that supports her chest, forces it to be up and off the ground, and allows the rib cage to adjust outward. It needs to put gentle pressure on the rib cage.

Did you see the picture?