Should I Let My Cat's Sister Nurse Her Babies?

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two female cats got pregnant about the same time. The one girl had her kittens, but would always hiss, growl, or chase away her sister if she came inside. (They are indoor/outdoor cats) The sister must have not felt safe, and had her babies outside because we haven't been able to find them, and she is definitely not pregnant anymore. The cat who had her kittens first her babies are 1 week, and 9 days old now, and the sister cat came in, and jumped in the box with her sisters babies, and started cleaning them, and nursing them. Should I let her do it, or do you think her sister will be mad, and hurt her, or maybe stop taking care of her babies? Please let me know. Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When do you think the sister had her babies outside?

Have you tried following her to see where she goes?

Are the sister's mammaries filled with milk?

In general, it's okay if the sisters co-parent, but it makes me think that something has happened to the sister's babies, which is worrisome.

How much time is the sister spending outside?

Do you plan to spay your cats after these litters wean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I've noticed her smaller belly about 2, or 3 days ago. She is outside all the time except to eat, but I've tried following her, and haven't really seen anything. Yes the sister has full nipples, and everything. The kittens nursed perfectly fine from them. I'm worried that she may have lost her kittens, and that's why she is in here all of a sudden trying to feed them. But you think it's ok even though the Mom hasn't been super nice to her sister? And yes they are getting spayed. These were accidental litters, and I didn't even know they were pregnant until a week before she gave birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you feel or see kitten movement in the sister's belly? Is it possible her kittens have dropped lower in preparation for birth?

Can you post a picture of this cat?

Does the mama cat mind her sister being in the nest with her babies?

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I felt her belly, and it's not nearly as big, or hard as it had been. After the first sister gave birth I could feel kittens inside of the other one, but now I can't really feel anything. The Mom cat hasn't woke up from the other room, and noticed yet. I will try to get a picture, and upload it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the mama cat is okay with it, then it's fine.

I'm just concerned as to what happened to the sister's pregnancy and/or kittens.

Pregnant cats should not be allowed outside for this reason.

Where does the sister go when she goes out? Do you live in a rural area?

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know. I read online you are suppose to bring pregnant cats inside at least a few weeks before they give birth, but like I said I didn't know they were pregnant until about a week before she gave birth. After Mom had her babies the sister was still smaller so we figured we had time before we had to bring her in. So we let her come, and go so we could give Mom some quiet time, and not have to worry about sister getting in there with her. Then she rarely came in, and when we tried to lock her in she'd escape out real quick. We live in the woods so it's very rual.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I followed sister up to a cabin, and checked all around, but no babies. I picked her up, and her stomach doesn't feel hard like she might still be pregnant. I'm almost positive she is. When she's inside she's been scoping places out before she leaves. And she has been eating less which is what our other cat did before she gave birth.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to lock her inside, but I don't know if she had her babies outside so I'd hate to lick her up, and her babies die.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to keep her 100% inside now, no matter how much she may protest. It's for her own good.

From what you said it sounds like she has not had them yet. Please keep her in now.

You do have indoor litter boxes, right? If not, set some up.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. I'll put her inside. Yes we have litter boxes, and food, and everything else set up in 3 areas of our house.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to keep her 100% inside now, no matter how much she may protest. It's for her own good.

From what you said it sounds like she has not had them yet. Please keep her in now.

You do have indoor litter boxes, right? If not, set some up.
I agree however what if she has had her babies and they are outside ? Especially if the kittens could be felt once and not now ! I'd keep following her when she's outside to check

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I locked her inside. Our other cats are smelling here but, and she is getting mad. When my Fiance wakes up we are going to go check all under the cabin we keep finding her at, and under our house, and everywhere just to be sure.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can't tell in the pictures all that well, cuz she is long-haired, but she is sticking out, and feels hard, but not as big as she did I don't think, but still big. She should be close if she is. I assume the sisters got pregnant about the same time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Then she is still pregnant and the kittens have probably "dropped" closer to the birth canal in preparation for labor and delivery.

Sounds like she is getting close!

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have another question. I noticed some fleas on the babies. They are 10 days old today. I had already called, and asked the vet if I could put flea medicine on Mom, or if I should wait, and she said definitely wait, and use a flea comb, or bath Mom. So I was just wondering if there is anything I can do besides sitting there all day picking the fleas off the babies one by one?