Should I Let My Cat's Sister Nurse Her Babies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. I didn't even see the link you posted. So is the vest enough, or do I need to have things in it positioned on the ribs to put the pressure on it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be best if the two toilet paper ends meet close together.

You can use cotton swabs on the inside for support. Cut them to fit.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yah I have string on top to tie the top parts together. I was just asking as a whole if it was ok, and right size before I tied her in. Ok I'll put cotton swabs in it too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not bad.

It's high on the neck and short on the tummy. It should be longer.

Is that what it looks like when tied?

It should have 2-3 sets of holes to lace together.

The vest should come together where it laces, but can be loosened and still offer support.

Here's the picture again:

download flat chested kitten support.jpg | The Cat Site

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok that's fine. I can take some off the front, and add more in the back, and pull the string tighter.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How close to the supports should I cut it off at? I'll add the string once I get it cut down.

Attachments

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I was trying to do it like the picture. I basically just cut a toilet paper roll in half, and stuck Qtips where her ribs start, and end. Then I had a string on the bottom to tie it closed.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Thank you so much for having paitence with me haha. Will I just notice her ribs going in? Or something else I should be looking for?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vest is supposed to help her ribs to grow OUT by gently pushing on the sides of them.

The vest is also supposed to keep her chest up and off the floor so it can expand rather than continue to stay flat.

So you should notice her rib cage becoming more rounded outward over time if the vest is working.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok thank you. I'll post again in a couple days, and let you know how it's doing.

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sad to say that the little FCK girl passed away this morning 1 day shy of turning a month old. I don't know if it was from her condition, or when she fell off the bed this morning. I'm miserable, an filled with guilt, but at least I know she isn't hurting, or anything anymore, and she is at peace.

Attachments

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I had a question, and figured I'd give an update!

A couple days after the little girl with FCK died her brother sadly passed away too. So we just have the one girl left over from Mama's litter, and we are definitely keeping her. She has stole my heart! She's 7 weeks, and 2 days old now.

Sister had 6 babies. 1 boy, and 5 girls. They are about 4, or 5 weeks old. She got out after we kept her inside, and had her babies under our house, and didn't bring them in until all their eyes were barely open. They have been doing so good though, and eating great. I've been handling them daily so they are getting use to us now.

My question is since it'll be coming up soon, how do I go about getting rid of the kittens? What's best for the Mom? Should she be in here when I let them go to their new homes, or not? I feel like she would be sad if I got rid of them all, and she came in, and couldn't find them. Please let me know. Thank you. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't coming up that soon. Kittens need to stay with mom until they are 10-12 weeks old at least. How are you looking for homes?

Are the moms completely inside now?