Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
VAMama VAMama bless your heart for taking in Cosette!

Traumatized kitties can be tough to deal with, but you love them anyway.

My Big Boy is a Maine Coon mix my roommate rescued from a house he was helping rebuild in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA (near LA) which, while a ritzy area, also has lots of places for carnivores like coyotes to hide in the various parks, ravines, etc.

Big Boy, I'm pretty sure, isn't a feral, but might have been forced into a semi-feral lifestyle. He obviously had people feeding him, and he wasn't interested in gobbling everything (true feral experts are welcome to say I'm wrong). He wouldn't eat people food I offered him, and ate lots of dry cat food.

When I first got him about 2015, more or less, I had four other cats, and he went into hiding and mostly stayed there, coming out to eat, drink or poop, then going into hiding again. He didn't like to interact with the other cats, and he let them bully him. He appeared to have been traumatized at some point, because of various things he did. One was to hide under the bed, refuse to come out, and cry when you tried to force him anyway. Another was when the police copters were flying noisily overhead looking for someone, and he started to cry, and I picked him up and he cried into my armpit. Or, he might just have been a big scaredy cat. (He was about 25 pounds when I got him.)

But, gradually, with soft talk and few treats, he warmed up to me, bit by bit. He spent most of his time in my bedroom, at least while I was home. He'd spend the night in the closet, but came out more and more often to sit on the bed.

One night, when I was half-asleep, he kind of flopped himself over my head and started that breathless, ecstatic purring like a diesel truck, of a kitty in a loving mood. The Luv Badger . . . .

Now that he's getting old, he's gotten a lot more loving and needy, and much less inclined to stay in hiding.

That’s him in the picture below.

45F52EAF-3BD3-417A-9049-4B53FF7CDAA8.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
VAMama VAMama bless your heart for taking in Cosette!

Traumatized kitties can be tough to deal with, but you love them anyway.

My Big Boy is a Maine Coon mix my roommate rescued from a house he was helping rebuilt in Rancho Palos Verdes, which, while a ritzy area, also has lots of places for carnivores like coyotes to hide in the various parks, ravines, etc.

Big Boy, I'm pretty sure, isn't a feral, but might have been forced into a semi-feral life style. He obviously had people feeding him, and he wasn't interested in gobbling everything (true feral experts are welcome to say I'm wrong).

When I first got him about 2015, more or less, I had four other cats, and he went into hiding and mostly stayed there, coming out to eat, drink or poop, then going into hiding again. He didn't like to interact with the other cats, and he let them bully him. He appeared to have been traumatized at some point, because of various things he did. One was to hide under the bed, refuse to come out, and cry when you tried to force him anyway. Another was when the police copters were flying noisily overhead looking for someone, and he started to cry, and I picked him up and he cried into my armpit. Or, he might just have been a big scaredy cat. (He was about 25 pounds when I got him.)

But, gradually, with soft talk and few treats, he warmed up to me, bit by bit. He spent most of his time in my bedroom, at least while I was home. He'd spend the night in the closet, but, came out more and more often to sit on the bed.

One night, when I was half-asleep, he kind of flopped himself over my head and started that breathless, ecstatic purring like a diesel truck, of a kitty in a loving mood. The Luv Badger . . . .

Now that he's getting old, he's gotten a lot more loving and needy, and much less inclined to stay in hiding.

That’s him in the picture below.

View attachment 473143
I had no idea that's how Big Boy came into your life. What a sweet story and proof that patience pays off for everyone in the long run. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's taken a while, years. But, over time, Big Boy warmed up to me, though he's never been the kind of head-butting lap-sitting kitty when company comes.
Both of my girls are history whenever someone comes to the house. Occasionally they'll come around if the person is here for awhile, but remain very aloof and even act snobbish towards me. (How dare I invite someone to the house without their consent, ruining their naptime?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosette is leaving her room in broad daylight!!! She came looking for me at breakfast time! I opened my bedroom door to go feed her, and what did I see but a black furball fleeing from my door! She was of course outraged that I dared to catch her!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cosette is leaving her room in broad daylight!!! She came looking for me at breakfast time! I opened my bedroom door to go feed her, and what did I see but a black furball fleeing from my door! She was of course outraged that I dared to catch her!
Wonderful! She’s getting bolder by the day!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Continued Success!! Such good news.. perhaps try keeping your bedroom door open, to see what she does.. just a thought.. Kitties usually explore during the night. It is dark and people are not around! ❤❤

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like progress!

Went through the same thing, sort of, with Big Boy.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosette grows bolder by the day! She made it to the dining room this morning. When I made her breakfast, she stood in the living room to watch, as if she wanted to know where food comes from. Of course she scampered to her room as soon as I approached. She'll freeze if you look at her and run if you move. We make sure to give her a wide berth.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cosette grows bolder by the day! She made it to the dining room this morning. When I made her breakfast, she stood in the living room to watch, as if she wanted to know where food comes from. Of course she scampered to her room as soon as I approached. She'll freeze if you look at her and run if you move. We make sure to give her a wide berth.
This is wonderful! She has associated you with food and knows where the food is being prepared. While you are preparing her food and when she's looking at you, do slow eye blinks with her and also talk to her and tell her that mummy is preparing your food. TYhsi way will also help her boost her confidence.

You can try this, after you have roared her food, instead of approaching her, leave her food down where you are and see if the advances over. You need a few tries to let her get the message.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's not at the stage to eat around us yet. The other day we left it by the couch. She went to her room and sat there glaring in the door until we brought her food. Today I held up her dish to show her, and she instantly looked back to her room. She'll eat in the hall at her door, only if we're far away.

Normally after breakfast we shut her in her room for a daytime nap. Today she ate breakfast, quickly went potty, and headed straight for the couch. Guess she wants to nap under there. First time she's been out in the middle of the day.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She's not at the stage to eat around us yet. The other day we left it by the couch. She went to her room and sat there glaring in the door until we brought her food. Today I held up her dish to show her, and she instantly looked back to her room. She'll eat in the hall at her door, only if we're far away.

Normally after breakfast we shut her in her room for a daytime nap. Today she ate breakfast, quickly went potty, and headed straight for the couch. Guess she wants to nap under there. First time she's been out in the middle of the day.
Oh, then probably she knows her place and that’s why she’ll go back to her room and eat. Anyway, she’s making great progress!