Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She lives under a table in her bedroom. No trips out to see us, but she expects visits twice a day. She enjoys a full-body massage most days. Her face lights up for meals, but she won't eat until you leave. You have to sit low to the floor when you touch her. She hates people reaching down on her. After 6 weeks with me, she still winces when I approach.
I've been following this thread since you started it and the progress is amazing. I'm glad you kept it up and I'm sure she's also seeing what a great place it can be. It's so heartwarming to see such a change in character.

My girl I took off the streets in December also used to wince a lot when my hands would get close, especially around her face. With time it'll get better. As of now, she no longer does it and gladly accepts pets on and around her head, even extending her head outward to me to do it. Rarely, she'll even jump up to reach my hand when shes feeling really lovey.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl has a huge ear infection. This didn't pop up in a few days. She has crusted scabs all on her ear. Looks like the swelling extends on her temple. We noticed the past few days she was scratching it. Today I held her down and looked in there with a flashlight. Looks pretty bad. I cleaned as much as I could but I was scared to dig. We have an urgent visit this afternoon at a new clinic.
Oh, poor baby girl. Glad you could get a vet appointment so quickly. Good luck. :hearthrob:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I'm really angry at the bad vet. My girl has a huge ear infection.
Yeah, it sounds like that vet couldn't tell his own ass from a hole in the ground!

I think it was right to say that, because the cat was under so much stress, the results of any tests would be difficult to interpret but it's not right to jump to conclusions. As the saying goes: "If you hear the sound of hoof beats, don't assume it's from a herd of zebras."

Given the fact that Cosette was so stressed from moving to a new home, I think it was smart to give her a chance to calm down and settle in before moving forward with more tests and procedures. It's just unfortunate that the problem turned out to be an infected ear.

I hope things go well... Thoughts and prayers be with you! Fingers crossed! Sending get-well vibes! 🙏 :vibes:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I'm really angry at the bad vet. My girl has a huge ear infection. This didn't pop up in a few days. She has crusted scabs all on her ear. Looks like the swelling extends on her temple. We noticed the past few days she was scratching it. Today I held her down and looked in there with a flashlight. Looks pretty bad. I cleaned as much as I could but I was scared to dig. We have an urgent visit this afternoon at a new clinic.

Stupid vet spent 30 seconds glancing at her, said she was fine, then was baffled by labs that show elevated immune activity, and went straight to a possible cancer diagnosis.
I would be more than mad! I cannot say how upset I would be. Dam!
Poor Baby!

She must be in pain.. dam

Glad you are going to a different clinic. I hope it is the one your friend uses.
This ear infection can be another reason why Cosette is in hiding.. poor thing...

Please let us know how things turn out.. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bacterial infection in both ears. Cause unknown. She'll get Motazol for 10 days, then return for a check. Right ear was so clogged they had to flush it before they could see the ear canal.

I gave her the drops as soon as we got home. Now she's under her favorite table recuperating. Usually when I let her down after holding her, she hisses and glares at me to go away. This time she just looked at me. I think she understood we fixed her ear.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she understood we fixed her ear.
I think so, too. :)

Elliot, the youngest cat, was pretty skittish when he first started coming up to our door. I was able to pet him for a few seconds but, after that, he'd lash out and run away. We finally got him into the house and took him to the vet. He meowed, in his carrier, in the back of the car, the whole time I took him in and he stayed overnight. Everything was done and he was all fixed up in one round.

When we bought him home, there was already a safe room set up for Elliot. When we opened the door to the cat carrier, we expected him to run into his room and stay there. Instead, he jumped right up, onto my lap and started purring! It took a good five-ten minutes of petting and loving for him to calm down enough that I could peel him off me! He's been a poster child for Velcro Kitties ever since!

Casper, on the other hand, can be rather grouchy. He understands that we make him take his medicine for his own good but that doesn't mean he has to like it any better. Casper's Girl-Human can often persuade him to take his medicine, if only begrudgingly. With me, it's more like, "Okay, Casper! We can do this the easy way or the hard way. What's it gonna' be?"

I know that he understands that going to the vet makes him better when he's sick. I'm pretty sure he understands about taking medicine, too. He's just like a two-year old child... "No! I don't wanna'! I don't wanna'!" ;)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Bacterial infection in both ears. Cause unknown. She'll get Motazol for 10 days, then return for a check. Right ear was so clogged they had to flush it before they could see the ear canal.

I gave her the drops as soon as we got home. Now she's under her favorite table recuperating. Usually when I let her down after holding her, she hisses and glares at me to go away. This time she just looked at me. I think she understood we fixed her ear.
[/QUOTE
I agree that Cosette fully understands that you are helping her. I think she trusts you, as much as she is able to at this point. Some rare cats really do understand that meds and people can help them. They are very intuitive. It is always the very sensitive kitties who perceive this.

Geoffrey is one of them. Yes, he is a cat, but he is so good with all his meds. He may balk at times, but on the whole; I think he understands that I am getting them, to help him.
The only things he fights me with; so far, are nail trimming and bum wiping....

I really feel there are so many similarities with Cosette and Geoffrey.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Glad that her ears are cleared. It could have been a problem for her hearing initially as to how she was reacting in her behavior. A clogged ear cannot distinguish sounds properly and now she hears better I think it’ll be easier for her to understand you.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight's dropper application was a success! I told Cosette we could do it with her sitting undisturbed - no need to pick her up - if she cooperated. I swear this cat understands humans. She knew what I was doing. She sat perfectly still and let me work on both ears. I got the dropper done without picking her up. Then she got lots of pets, and now she's dozing.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Tonight's dropper application was a success! I told Cosette we could do it with her sitting undisturbed - no need to pick her up - if she cooperated. I swear this cat understands humans. She knew what I was doing. She sat perfectly still and let me work on both ears. I got the dropper done without picking her up. Then she got lots of pets, and now she's dozing.
Yes, cats do understand what we are saying.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cosette tolerated the dropper three times. Tonight she was not in the mood. I had to be more firm. She's grumpy and won't let us massage her.
Her ear might be feeling better. If she's deciding her ear feels fine and doesn't need the meds, that's a plus but a bit more work on your part. I'd reserve food, treats, toys, and anything else she likes for after the dropper.
It also might explain why she reacted as she did to the sirens if that ear was sore and very sensitive.
She's such a beautiful little girl. I'm so glad she's with you and not still in a shelter. :)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with iPappy iPappy .. She may be feeling better. It could also be she is 'testing' her limit with you. Try giving her a treat after you medicate her. I think you are probably doing this; but, try praising her each time you are able to give her any medications. You could sa: "Good Girl".. and give her a kiss... at least that is what I do.

I still sau. upi ae doing phenomenal with Cosette.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it occurred to me that she may think her ears are healed. She was so uptight about it she held her bladder all day. Only after the drops did she use her potty. I tried to make her feel better with praise and pets. She seemed to understand I was trying to help, but there was no fixing it!

This morning she's on high alert. She will reee if you get too close.

Attachments

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I figured something out. When you pet her after a medicine dose, she thinks the handling is part of an exam. Pets at that time don't make her feel better; they seem to perpetuate the "vet visit" mindset.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I figured something out. When you pet her after a medicine dose, she thinks the handling is part of an exam. Pets at that time don't make her feel better; they seem to perpetuate the "vet visit" mindset.
That is a good observation! I think you may be able to turn it around. You could try saying in a soft voice, "Good Girl" giving a kiss on the top of her head, before you leave. That is, if you are able to do this...
The CAT mind is really complicated!