Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
"I'm pretending I don't see you"
This is one way to show you that she is a lap cat. Not all lap cats must be on the lap to be a lap cat. They can be around you, near you and as long as they can see you and keeping calm watching you do your stuffs from a distance, that's a lap cat.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She got a belly rub this morning!! Later when I gave the vitamin treat, she reached forward for it! She won't leave her safe space, but she expects to see us for visits.
That's great!

It's ok if she does not leave her safe place as for now. Now, she's the queen and so the subject must go to her. Just play by her rules and eventually when she sort of have full confidence to move about, you'll have more time with her and of course, remember, she is still the queen and so she must be served.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosette now expects a full-body massage every morning. She purrs on a regular basis.

She's afraid of my phone 🤷🏻‍♀️ She always tenses when I take it out. Last night I offered it to her sniff, and she ran from it. She's sniffing toys, so I'm not sure what the phone thing is about.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cosette now expects a full-body massage every morning. She purrs on a regular basis.

She's afraid of my phone 🤷🏻‍♀️ She always tenses when I take it out. Last night I offered it to her sniff, and she ran from it. She's sniffing toys, so I'm not sure what the phone thing is about.
That's great to hear! :clap:

A mobile phone has got many other scents. It is handles, placed on different surfaces, placed in a bag and pockets and all theses scents are on it and that's why Cosette sniff and run away as these scents are not familiar with her.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

It could look like something that was thrown at her before.

But even many well cared for pets have fear of phones being in their faces. I wonder if they can feel the waves or something.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

AWWWWWwwww.. so sweet! A daily massage! That is the way to go!! Great way of gaining trust.

Geoffrey does not like my phone, either. Each time he sees me pick it up, to get a picture of him; he will either turn his head, look away, or just walk away! I have to sneak up on him for photo ops!!

BTW, that is kind of how I started getting Geoffrey into our daily 'brushes". It now part of our daily routine!

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
She got pets and now she seems to have forgotten the sirens. She's back to her usual spot under the table. Tonight I introduced a wand toy. She responded! Her face lit up as she watched it. She even sniffed it. She enjoys play from a distance. I have to use a wand or a remote car or similar, sit a few feet away from her, and ease the toy closer. She won't touch them yet, but she watches.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
She lives under a table in her bedroom. No trips out to see us, but she expects visits twice a day. She enjoys a full-body massage most days. Her face lights up for meals, but she won't eat until you leave. You have to sit low to the floor when you touch her. She hates people reaching down on her. After 6 weeks with me, she still winces when I approach.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She lives under a table in her bedroom. No trips out to see us, but she expects visits twice a day. She enjoys a full-body massage most days. Her face lights up for meals, but she won't eat until you leave. You have to sit low to the floor when you touch her. She hates people reaching down on her. After 6 weeks with me, she still winces when I approach.
And what amazing progress that is! It took Lily over a year to be comfortable in our home. Your family is doing amazing 😻

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I'm really angry at the bad vet. My girl has a huge ear infection. This didn't pop up in a few days. She has crusted scabs all on her ear. Looks like the swelling extends on her temple. We noticed the past few days she was scratching it. Today I held her down and looked in there with a flashlight. Looks pretty bad. I cleaned as much as I could but I was scared to dig. We have an urgent visit this afternoon at a new clinic.

Stupid vet spent 30 seconds glancing at her, said she was fine, then was baffled by labs that show elevated immune activity, and went straight to a possible cancer diagnosis.