Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't indoor but I'm scared as it could make the cats sick since they hang around that area a lot. I don't know what it is and no one in my stupid city will tell me. To me it looks like a neverdie plant but as usual I could be 100% wrong.

View attachment 353458
I'm not familiar with a neverdie plant but from the online pictures I don't think so. It kind of looks like a bird of paradise to me, but I'm not sure why it would just be popping up now.

If you download LeafSnap it might help. I've been having fun with it all week :D.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't indoor but I'm scared as it could make the cats sick since they hang around that area a lot. I don't know what it is and no one in my stupid city will tell me. To me it looks like a neverdie plant but as usual I could be 100% wrong.

View attachment 353458
The leaves would seem to belong to the Strelitzia reginae "Bird of Paradiise"

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it toxic to cats whatever it is? I can't get leafsnap to open for 25 minutes. IOS 14.2 and iphone 11 pro. Ugh As usual for me. But thanks. I'll ask on Next Door app. Hopefully someone there will know since they are in same location as me.

Ok I downloaded another app and it is indentified as Indian shot, a species of Canna lilies. Botanical name is Canna indica. And toxic to cats. Ugh

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canna lilies are not true lilies and are non-toxic :).
Canna Lily

it also seems to me that outdoor cats aren't as likely to mess with poisonous plants. My parents' neighbors have a ton of lilies and my parents have always had indoor/outdoor cats, and none have ever died from lily poisoning :dunno: .

If it's a Bird of Paradise, those are mildly toxic, but not enough to worry about.
Bird of Paradise Flower

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Canna lilies are not true lilies and are non-toxic :).
Canna Lily

it also seems to me that outdoor cats aren't as likely to mess with poisonous plants. My parents' neighbors have a ton of lilies and my parents have always had indoor/outdoor cats, and none have ever died from lily poisoning :dunno: .

If it's a Bird of Paradise, those are mildly toxic, but not enough to worry about.
Bird of Paradise Flower
Ok thank you so much :) It looks like it will have a pretty flower when it does flower so I may just rake around the plant and let the leaves fertilize during the winter. That was supposed to be a fire pit my Dad was going to have years ago and he never got around to it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Another successful plant swap. I traded more of my young monsteras for a peace lily, jade plant, stromanthe, oregano, and another dumb cane (this one has a different leaf pattern). Going to nurse them back to health with my new found magic touch. Gotta head to Rona or HomeDepot to see if I can get some wood post to build a shelf for everyone.
16018371041663753282356539675588.jpg

I kept my 3 biggest monsteras and I'm happy with them. I didn't sell the ones I gave away because I know people are always looking for these plants and I had so many, I wanted to share what I had instead of getting money off them. Plus, my big guys have started pushing out new leaves and one of them as a hole!
16018373897832290521170289982039.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I repotted the Red Twist peperomia today. The pot was still soggy and it's been over a week since I bought the plant. The leaves are droopy and falling off. Bad potting mix plus being over-watered I guess. I didn't have another pot to put the plant in so I just reused the pot for now. I removed quite a bit of the soggy mix from the roots and used general potting mix to back-fill the pot. Hopefully the plant will perk up :crossfingers:

The Pilea is slowly perking up since it was repotted :clap2: The leaves aren't as curled anymore. The Pilea Aquamarine seems to be doing ok so I'll leave that for now. The potting mix is still a bit moist but not soggy. I'm a little afraid of trying to repot a plant with trailing stems :fear:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how long the trailing stems are -
1) Lay the pot down on its side.
2) Gently lay the stems out on a paper towel or sheet of newspaper.
3) Roll the paper loosely around the stems to completely encase them.
4) Tape this protective sheath closed - scotch tape should work.
5) Now slide plant out of the still sideways pot.
6) Use one hand to support the wrapped up stems and the other to guide the root ball into the prepared new pot.
7) Still supporting the wrapped up stems use the other hand to rap the new pot, soil, root ball on a hard surface to settle the soil.
8) And voila! unwrap your plant and admire your good handiwork

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What general potting mix does everyone use for non-succulents? I have two different brands right now: Miracle Grow and Espoma. The contents for both are different and not sure if that makes a difference in plant growth. I need to buy more potting mix soon.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I kind of prefer the Espoma over the Miracle Grow :think: The contents seem better: sphagnum peat moss, aged forest products, humus, perlite, limestone to adjust pH, earthworm castings, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, feather meal, and yucca extract. The product seems moister and fluffier than Miracle Grow.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, from what people have said, it's well put together. More so than Miracle Gro. Miracle Gro formulas all seem the same. Their orchid mix is basically dirt. Their succulent "fast draining formular" is basically dirt. It's almost like buying cat food marketed for a cat with a certain fur colour. Just a ploy to get you to spend more money.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's almost like buying cat food marketed for a cat with a certain fur colour. Just a ploy to get you to spend more money.
Huh. Never though of it that way :)