Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My clivia and bird of paradise seeds came in the mail today. Please send grow energy and positive thoughts so that they can germinate! šŸ˜†

I placed them in plastic bags and then I pushed the bags down into my net pots because I don't have a heat mat but the fish tank water is always around 80degrees so I thought it might be the same. Also for humidity. The clivia seeds are on mostly bark because they hate wet roots and fungus is an issue for seedlings so I needed something that would retain moisture but not too much. Bird of paradise are also on bark but mixed with coconut fiber.
20200825_102847_resize_40.jpg

20200825_102916_resize_6.jpg

20200825_102937_resize_77.jpg

Update... bags have holes so I switched to tiny plastic containers. Will post their progress in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
The fenestration develops on new emerging leaves as the plant matures. There are 9 invididual young plants in this single pot. I'd say, by spring next year, I should have a couple holes on the new leaves of the more mature plants. I'm wondering if I should separate them a bit? They are really packed in there. I'm going to repot it tomorrow morning into a slightly larger pot because I realized that it's bursting through the nursery pot. But anyway, yeah... the holes will come on new leaves eventually. I heard the more sun it gets, the faster they will develop. Not sure how true that is. Also, the leaves that are already out don't fenestrate after they have emerged. Some people think they do but that is false.

Forgot to add... if you are interested, Costa Farms / Nursery has a wide variety of tropical plants and it seems they have made their way into north America. I've noticed that their price point is much lower than any other distributor. The same Rona I got this from had large sized bird of paradise plants for only $40. And when I checked other local plant stores in my area, the same plant is well over $500 and the same monstera for as high as $80 (not even including tax). Costa Farms is in quite a few stores now. Their website has a list of who sells their plants. I also heard that they will soon be selling variegated monsteras.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And in today's NY Times Wednesday evening briefing:
1598482068394.png

10. And finally, the pleasure of low-maintenance plants.

Katherine Tracey, a garden designer in Massachusetts, has amassed more than 400 kinds of succulents. For the non-gardener, that means ā€œany plants whose leaves, stems or roots can hold water for extended periods of time.ā€

Ms. Tracey, who teaches workshops on creating wreaths and arrangements with the fleshy-leafed plants, says succulents are easy, if you go easy on them.

Donā€™t torture them with regular potting soil ā€” use cactus or succulent mix instead. And donā€™t water them as often as other plants or annuals. ā€œNot over-tending them is the secret,ā€ she says.

Have a trouble-free evening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watered the garden succulents today. One of the plants was starting to feel squishy. I let the pot soak in water for 15 minutes or so and then let it drain on the pebbles in the little bin.

The Venus fly trap seems to be doing ok :crossfingers: I haven't seen any flies get attracted to it yet.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My croton is definitely doing a lot better. It's growing rapidly so I had to buy a fertilizer. Look how big this leaf got!
20200828_135939_resize_20.jpg

And these are the other two little ones coming up.
20200828_135957_resize_49.jpg

My mom's friend has a giant aglonema. One of it's stems broke off and she have me the pieces. The broken stem also had about 15 seeds forming but only 4 of them are mature enough to plant.
20200828_181647_resize_53.jpg

They grew on it like this.
20200828_181700_resize_41.jpg

And here are the stems.
20200828_183428_resize_65.jpg

20200828_183521_resize_46.jpg

Not sure what kind of aglonema this is. It looks like maria but its markings are very small and muted and the diameter of its stem is crazy thick.
20200828_184527_resize_59.jpg

I've run out of space and dirt... and pots. So I think I shouldn't take on anymore plants until next year.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So I think I shouldn't take on anymore plants until next year.
Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself every time I pass the baby succulent and cacti stand in my local supermarket. God, it's like going to the shelter and seeing all those kittens that need a new home...........

:cringe:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself every time I pass the baby succulent and cacti stand in my local supermarket. God, it's like going to the shelter and seeing all those kittens that need a new home...........

BJs had a lot of succulents today. I noticed aloe vera, echeveria, and a bunch of other ones I couldn't identify. There were all pretty large plants or grouped in large pots.

That one garden succulents has perked up with the recent watering. The Crassula may need a watering soon. It's starting to feel a teeny bit squishy but the leaves aren't showing wrinkles yet. I'll recheck in a few days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's tax free weekend here. No, I didn't buy more plants and have no plans to buy any today :redtongue: I decided to buy two rolling carts from Target online, one for the plants and one for my miscellaneous office supply stuff and books. $35 each isn't a bad price. I think they used to be $20 a few years ago but they're really popular. Hopefully they won't be too hard to put together and Leroy doesn't decide to eat a screw or some little part :oops: I had thought about getting the larger cart which is just $5 more but I was measuring with my tape measure and the larger cart just seems too big for what I need, at least at the moment.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The supermarket is getting a bigger and bigger variety of plants. I saw Money Trees and Lucky Bamboo this past weekend. They had a bigger variety of orchids including one of the ones with the purple and white flowers. They are cashing in on people spending more time at home and doing more with their homes then they used to.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever planted a pineapple top before? Been meaning to give it a try. Saw this cute pot (with drainage holes) at the dollar store for $1.50 and my local grocery store had pineapples on sale for about $2.47. Thought it would be worth a try. The pots came in red and purple too but I loved this muted turquoise which is slightly more on the green side of the colour wheel.
20200830_190022_resize_36.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever planted a pineapple top before? Been meaning to give it a try. Saw this cute pot (with drainage holes) at the dollar store for $1.50 and my local grocery store had pineapples on sale for about $2.47. Thought it would be worth a try. The pots came in red and purple too but I loved this muted turquoise which is slightly more on the green side of the colour wheel.
I'm so excited right now!!! You know, it IS a succulent. You'll have to let us know if it grows. If so, I know what I'm adding to the next grocery order! :biggrin::heartshape::bunnydance:

Btw, love the teal planter. It really compliments the plant and the white coloration on it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Do it! They are apparently super easy to grow. As long as you are patient and don't mind waiting for the pineapple (2 - 3 years depending on how it's cared for). I love foliage more than I love flowers... like way more. So, this is a nice foliage plant for me. It already had a lot of roots growing when I twisted it off.
20200830_154919.jpg

Today I learned that pineapples are actually a type of bromeliad plant. They don't live long after they've flowered but they produce pups or slips. They are drout tolerant and can be watered from the center which acts as a "cup" that collects water.