Scared semi feral stray cat hiding for a month

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Will update if and when there's progress (soon I hope)
Yea, each time I feed my boy, my eyes always tear up. Why? My boy is a rescue and he's with us for almost 8 years already. Each time I watch him eat, thoughts run through my mind. What if he is not rescued? What is he doing now? Where is he sleeping? Who is he hiding from and what does he has to eat or maybe he won't be alive till this day. I'm so glad I took my boy in and I can see that he's the happiest cat because we shower him with lots of love.

As for you, take it easy. A slow transition is better than no transition. Feel free to ask questions and there are no such thing as a stupid question. Hang on in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just saw in the camera that he scratched the spare mattress that is in his room.
That's a good sign right? Scratching is a good sign that he's adapting?

(I'm not upset about the mattress; meant to be thrown)

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(how do I edit posts)
Forgot to say he has two scratching posts but maybe he doesn't know how to use them

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just saw in the camera that he scratched the spare mattress that is in his room.
That's a good sign right? Scratching is a good sign that he's adapting?

(I'm not upset about the mattress; meant to be thrown)
Yea, he's marking the mattress and it's a good sign. Just make sure the foam in the mattress don't fall out and he don't ingest it.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, he's marking the mattress and it's a good sign. Just make sure the foam in the mattress don't fall out and he don't ingest it.
Alrighty will take note on the mattress. It didn't seem very deep that's why I didn't realise until I watched play backs of the recording.

Not quite sure how to teach him to use the scratching post if he's just hiding all the time. He so doesn't respond to cat nip. I guess bye bye mattress

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
(how do I edit posts)
Forgot to say he has two scratching posts but maybe he doesn't know how to use them
You cannot edit posts at this moment as your status is still a Kitten until you are a Young Cat :- Promotions and Benefits

Not all cats will scratch scratch posts. Certain materials does not attract them. Some like the different thickness in the sisal string, some just like softer materials like thick fabric.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Alrighty will take note on the mattress. It didn't seem very deep that's why I didn't realise until I watched play backs of the recording.

Not quite sure how to teach him to use the scratching post if he's just hiding all the time. He so doesn't respond to cat nip. I guess bye bye mattress
My boy loves to scratch his cat tree and after I changed another one for him, he did not go catch on it. He loves to scratch my recliner and he has already gone through one recliner and he's on the second one now :lol: Also he likes to scratch the corner of my mattress, sounds familiar?

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see. I guess the mattress is firm but softer material. Ofc as an outdoor cat he will scratch trees. I have two posts with sisal string but one has a softer velvet base. He hasn't shown interest in either.

I shifted one to where he scratched the mattress. Maybe that'll get his attention.
You cannot edit posts at this moment as your status is still a Kitten until you are a Young Cat :- Promotions and Benefits

Not all cats will scratch scratch posts. Certain materials does not attract them. Some like the different thickness in the sisal string, some just like softer materials like thick fabric.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I see. I guess the mattress is firm but softer material. Ofc as an outdoor cat he will scratch trees. I have two posts with sisal string but one has a softer velvet base. He hasn't shown interest in either.

I shifted one to where he scratched the mattress. Maybe that'll get his attention.
Yea, it's the material and the feel. Maybe you can put it near the mattress and see if he try it out.

I've put cat nip and also spray cat nip on the scratch posts I want my boy to scratch but he just go and like the cat nip instead of scratching it :lol:

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha that's a cat for sure. Doing the exact opposite of what you want.

I think I'll also order a scratching pad. Maybe he'll prefer someone on the ground rather than tall, seeing how he scratched the mattress that was laid flat.

Whiskers' doesn't respond to cat nip but I've ordered a toy that has cat nip, valerian root and silver vine. Hopefully that'll get him to play and get him out of his shell. I've read that play helps get a cat to establish the place isn't threatening.

Yea, it's the material and the feel. Maybe you can put it near the mattress and see if he try it out.

I've put cat nip and also spray cat nip on the scratch posts I want my boy to scratch but he just go and like the cat nip instead of scratching it :lol:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

I think I'll also order a scratching pad. Maybe he'll prefer someone on the ground rather than tall, seeing how he scratched the mattress that was laid flat.

Whiskers' doesn't respond to cat nip but I've ordered a toy that has cat nip, valerian root and silver vine. Hopefully that'll get him to play and get him out of his shell. I've read that play helps get a cat to establish the place isn't threatening.
Yea, you have a point there and that could help too or maybe that's the reason why they prefer to scratch on flat surfaces.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny thing is that he ignored the treats today. Ate it yesterday. Maybe he only eats on alternate days. It's the exact same treat

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Funny thing is that he ignored the treats today. Ate it yesterday. Maybe he only eats on alternate days. It's the exact same treat
Cats have moods. What they did yesterday or earlier on today, they may not do it again. This is typical of cats. It’s their choice and liking. No need to force them and let them have it their ways In certain things so to have a more blissful relationship.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I threw out the treats cause it has been out for 8 hours. I think I'll just keep putting treats down since sometimes he eats it. Hoping that it'll help associate coming out of hiding with good things.

Cats have moods. What they did yesterday or earlier on today, they may not do it again. This is typical of cats. It’s their choice and liking. No need to force them and let them have it their ways In certain things so to have a more blissful relationship.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sure you hears the term " copy cat" ,right?Cats study other cats behavior from tye time they are little kittens and watch Mama cat and their litter mates ,they "copy" and learn..... they study people too- cats observe EVERYTHING because body language is how they talk to one another- this is why our " body languagd" is so inportant,even unwittingly we are often telling a cat to do the exact opposite of what we would like them to do

Having Saud that it's easy enough to show a cat what a scratching post is used for - walk over to it and scratch with your own " paws" and when you are able to handle kitty you can even help more by taking his " arms" and assist him in scratching what you want him to scratching----it works !You'll be surprised how many things you can teach your cat by showing him physically what to do - the little copy cat will usually give it a try !

Yea,there's many different kinds of catnip- because your cat was not attracted by one scent doesn't mean another will not appeal to him- give " Yeowww " a try- tabbytom tabbytom turned me on to it and my cats love it- before that I tried tons of brands and they were just not interested

There are also different pheromone sprays that mimic a cats own scents thst attraxt them- you can spray it on scratching posts to motivate them to mark it with their own scent( in their paws)

So be encouraged,there's lot of things you can do to attract to tye things you'd like him to be attracted to and also things to deter him from his attraction to " your stuff" great products like Comfort Zond,Cat Attract,Cat Away and Scratch NO to name a few!

Happy Thanksgiving!

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bought yeowws and he ignored it :(
As for teaching him how to use the scratch pole, he's hiding from me at all instances so I'm not very sure how to show him. I guess I'll just sit patiently with fingers crossed that he uses the pole somehow. Scratching seems like a good progress already, just when I was feeling discouraged.

I'm sure you hears the term " copy cat" ,right?Cats study other cats behavior from tye time they are little kittens and watch Mama cat and their litter mates ,they "copy" and learn..... they study people too- cats observe EVERYTHING because body language is how they talk to one another- this is why our " body languagd" is so inportant,even unwittingly we are often telling a cat to do the exact opposite of what we would like them to do

Having Saud that it's easy enough to show a cat what a scratching post is used for - walk over to it and scratch with your own " paws" and when you are able to handle kitty you can even help more by taking his " arms" and assist him in scratching what you want him to scratching----it works !You'll be surprised how many things you can teach your cat by showing him physically what to do - the little copy cat will usually give it a try !

Yea,there's many different kinds of catnip- because your cat was not attracted by one scent doesn't mean another will not appeal to him- give " Yeowww " a try- tabbytom tabbytom turned me on to it and my cats love it- before that I tried tons of brands and they were just not interested

There are also different pheromone sprays that mimic a cats own scents thst attraxt them- you can spray it on scratching posts to motivate them to mark it with their own scent( in their paws)

So be encouraged,there's lot of things you can do to attract to tye things you'd like him to be attracted to and also things to deter him from his attraction to " your stuff" great products like Comfort Zond,Cat Attract,Cat Away and Scratch NO to name a few!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

I notice you keep wanting him to come out of " hiding " and thst really should not even be in the equation this early on.I really do understand your eagerness to be friends and show him he can trust you but as I've mentioned bdfore- it isn't about you -it's about a new environment and if you don't let him acclimate at his pace your not going to get tye results you are hoping for

Constantly trying to lure him out of hiding with treats and whatever is ineffectivd,its even stressful -cats really need their own SPACE..... after they are comfortably acclimated to their new environment their curiosity will kick in BIG TIME -actually the more you give them space and let them BE the more they want to know what your all about - its natural ,instinctual

Contrary to popular belief cats are not solitary creatures,they are very social-they seem to be solitary because they are independent hunters but no,they are a very social creature ..... they will always seek companionship from the least threatening,inintrusive ,uninvasive " cat:" in the environment --- you need to be that CAT..... he will seek you out if you just give him a chance to get comfortable....

Not all cats are food motivated either and they are not always hungry or feeling like a snack- treats are good for reward or as a " pleasurable " thing to associate with certain behaviors but coming out of hiding is not one of them- it's a bit counter productive because having to come out for a treat is not so pleasurable .... but AFTER he has come out simply becaysd HE is READY to a treat is in order- not the other way around

I do hope these little tidbits about their natural behavior is helpful for you to understand & see through the cats eyes

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention - kittens and ferals are not typically attracted to catnip,this is acquired and with ferals,semi ferals and many strays thar are newly transitioned to the indoor environment are not going to be enticed by catnip- they are too focused on "survival" and pretty confused by their surroundings----

You have to just let him be and not worry about all the stuff that IS definitely going to come later- he is certainly going to want to scratch and will scratch where you want him to ,he is going to have favorite places to stretch,knead and roll around and be near YOU..... there's just an " order:" of things ,a process - catnip is attractive when a cat is RELAXED and will not be an effective measure to relax a cat that is on high alert - if that was the case we could easily trap ferals with some catnip ( wouldn't thst be nice?)

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe the right thing to say is I want him to feel safe outside his hiding hole. But I get you. I've stopped trying to actively interact with him. Nowadays is just sitting quietly, putting food/drink down, cleaning etc. Nothing that requires him to respond.

I notice you keep wanting him to come out of " hiding " and thst really should not even be in the equation this early on.I really do understand your eagerness to be friends and show him he can trust you but as I've mentioned bdfore- it isn't about you -it's about a new environment and if you don't let him acclimate at his pace your not going to get tye results you are hoping for

Constantly trying to lure him out of hiding with treats and whatever is ineffectivd,its even stressful -cats really need their own SPACE..... after they are comfortably acclimated to their new environment their curiosity will kick in BIG TIME -actually the more you give them space and let them BE the more they want to know what your all about - its natural ,instinctual

Contrary to popular belief cats are not solitary creatures,they are very social-they seem to be solitary because they are independent hunters but no,they are a very social creature ..... they will always seek companionship from the least threatening,inintrusive ,uninvasive " cat:" in the environment --- you need to be that CAT..... he will seek you out if you just give him a chance to get comfortable....

Not all cats are food motivated either and they are not always hungry or feeling like a snack- treats are good for reward or as a " pleasurable " thing to associate with certain behaviors but coming out of hiding is not one of them- it's a bit counter productive because having to come out for a treat is not so pleasurable .... but AFTER he has come out simply becaysd HE is READY to a treat is in order- not the other way around

I do hope these little tidbits about their natural behavior is helpful for you to understand & see through the cats eyes

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, my goal is for him to understand that I am not a threat, and neither are all the sounds and movement. He's in a room now to acclimate and I see him trying to peek underneath the door from time to time. Hopefully that means he's curious