Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Here they are! This woman needs some serious help. Like this is this cats third litter. The other older kittens are still there and desperately need placed before they have kittens. There are at least 4 other adult females that desperately need fixed. Ugh. One momma and litter for now is all I can take.
received_10209629093318376.jpeg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness you guys. Wait until you hear about my day.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So we have a last minute chaotic rescue run going to that amazing no kill shelter that we partner with that has the HUGE adoption pull. Well we were contacted about 8 7 week old puppies and I knew they could go so we got them and vaccinated them today... they are so cute, and SO MUCH poop! I will post pictures of them tomorrow!
Then the lady we got Remi from (the tabby with the 5 tiny tabbies), she had told me she had a ton of cats, 12 are 7ish month olds that are friendly so their best option is to go on this trip too. So we went to her house to vaccinate them and give her carriers so that she can meet us in the morning. Well this is the first time we have been to her house and oh my god. What a disaster this is.
So when we got out of the car we were immediately overwhelmed by the smell of cat pee. You can see where all of the tom cats are spraying on EVERYTHING. All over her house, and porch, shed, they even sprayed on our car 4 times while we were there! So then I get up on the porch and see a HEAVILY pregnant cat. Like you can feel the kittens moving. I told her that she was obviously pregnant and she said Oh no! You are kidding. I offered to take her into foster care and spay her and bring her back once the kittens are weaned. She is going to think about it, I think she will do the right thing but GOOD GRIEF. She told me that the cat is 7 and has about 3 litters a year! She said she is the main momma of these cats. Then as we are standing on the porch I see 6 Tom cats chasing another girl who is obviously in heat. They are chasing and cornering her and mounting her and she is screaming. We chased the toms off and I told her to take her inside and make her a spay appointment for next week. no ifs ands or buts about it.
What a complete mess. I am so glad we got 12 of the cats out before they were too old and impossible to place anywhere. Now just getting the momma's all spayed and the tom cats neutered.
Here is the heavily pregnant momma who we are getting this week most likely!

20180121_143829.jpg

20180121_144222.jpg

Her belly was much larger than these pictures show. All hair around the nipples is already gone. She asked if I would want her before she has the kittens or after. I definitely want her before so I can treat her for fleas and other parasites.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good grief indeed! Can you take the young cat who was in heat for a spay yourself so you know it’s done? This is horrible.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So after a long talk with the woman she seems like she truly does care and she does see that this overpopulation is a HUGE problem. She says that she really wants the cats fixed as soon as possible and I will be following up closely. I think she is just so overwhelmed. People think that "oh kittens are cute, it will be easy to find homes for them" she didn't see just how hard it is until she had 30 and no one wanted them and no one would help because they were so full.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you need to find a super hero name, because not only are you helping cats in need, you're helping their caregivers.

That poor kitty in heat with the toms chasing her. All the people who think they want their female cat to have just one litter need to read those 2 sentences, and I would hope the idea would be wiped clear out of their minds. :sigh:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Great news the three remaining females that will need spayed she got in all at the same time, next Wednesday! I will be getting the pregnant gray tabby this week! I think she would like momma to come back after kittens are weaned and she is spayed but that is just fine with me! We get so overwhelmed with finding homes for momma cats after kittens leave... we still have a few of last years mommas with us!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will the kittens and puppies be spayed and neutered before being adopted?

Who is taking the 3 females to be spayed - you or the woman who owns them? Does that include the one who was just mated with by the toms?

I hope you get the pregnant mama asap. Poor gal.

Is there a plan to neuter toms?

You are amazing! It is incredible how much you are accomplishing!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens and puppies will be spayed/neutered! The rescue they went to has a LOT of spay/neuter funding. The woman is taking the three females to be spayed, that does include the one who I saw mated. She has since (or she told me anyway) brought all the girls in the house and kicked the boys out. I am getting the pregnant mom in a couple of days! Another group is going to help neuter the toms next month I believe! It is so stressful!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can only imagine how stressful this is for you. It's hard to believe this woman has let the female cat have litter after litter after litter for years. This is how hoarding begins.

I imagine she needs help cleaning up her house and yard. Can she afford to feed all the cats?

It sounds like you showing up to help her has jarred her back to reality. Hopefully she will continue to stay on top of things. :/

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
From my personal facebook page in hopes that it make an influence on someone
"One of the most frustrating things about rescue is the fact that a
LOT of people will never understand how important and how necessary spay and neuter is, until they have 30 cats and kittens and they have called every shelter looking for help but there is no room because no one will spay and neuter their pets. Oh and those cats, which are a by product of their lack of knowledge or caring, have GOT to go. Because the neighbors are complaining. I wish it was socially acceptable to slap people."
She has been feeding all of them up to this point. She is EXTREMELY grateful for us being able to help wih Remi and her kittens as well as these 12 AND spaying girls. She said I just dont understand how much I have helped. I do though lol