Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Blake's litter... look how chunky the orange babies look lol little piggies.
IMG_0519.jpg
IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! We have a lot of applications on the older kittens... I don't think I announced their names on here. I decided to name them after endangered species... they are Panda, Bonobo (Bo), Vaquita, and Saola. Two of them are adoption pending... the little tortie from Olivia's litter is being adopted by @andysmom and we have had a lot of interest in the orange kitten from Olivia's litter and Saywer! We'll see how it all goes!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So the older kittens still have runny poop... My vet is closed until Monday, so I will take a sample in then... Should I start giving them Albon? Or should I just wait until after the sample goes in?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Blake's Litter Weights from this morning... I don't remember what I had them numbered as before :/ the paper that I had written them on is gone.
Black: 146
Orange 1: 196
Orange 2: 186
Black/White face 1: 157
Black/White face 2: 179
They will be one week old tomorrow!
They fight and fight the syringe. Who knows how much they are getting... how much should they be eating at this point? I am using about 4 mls each feeding but I feel like they are probably only getting 2.. if that. I am doing everyone but the orange ones. The good thing is usually after they fight me with the syringe they have been going and nursing off of mom for a little bit at least! We'll see how their weights go...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
London's babies are so sweet! She is such a great mom, all are nursing well! All were around 110 grams, the runt is the little black one, it was 104 grams!
We have 2 calicos, 1 dilute tortie, a tuxedo, and a solid black! I believe the calico and tortie are girls obviously, the others look like boys- though I don't usually like to sex them this early!
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting better sized pictures by cut and pasting from my FB page. I guess that would depend on your level of privacy. It shows my FB name and avatar and links right on the photo. It does save me time in uploading pictures from both places.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I just gave the older kittens their first dose of Albon... so if I get a fecal sample Monday and send it in, do you think that giving them the Albon will change the results if it is coccidia.. like it wont show it even if they have it?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with Coccidia or even Giardia is that a lot of times it doesn't show. I've been told it may take several fecal samples for the parasite to show up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It also takes time to get rid of coccidia. Albon only inhibits its growth; it doesn't kill it. Ponazuril kills it, but it's used off-label in cats and some vets won't prescribe it. It's an equine product.

However, I suspect they may have bacterial infection in their gastro-intestinal tract, since the poop is runny and brown. Coccidia usually produces nasty smelling, bright yellow diarrhea.

If I'm right about it, then the Albon will help kill the bacteria.

Coccidia also does not show up in a regular fecal. It requires a special test, so a stool sample may or may not show anything.

Let's see how they do after being on Albon for 3 days (though if it's working they need it for 7-10 days). And keep in mind, antibiotics can cause diarrhea too.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
This morning's weights for Blake's litter
black 163
orange 1 203
orange 2 180
black/white 1 152
black/white 2 174

The gains aren't great- the little black girl gained! But now the black ones with the white faces are losing. sigh.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I will say that this weighing seemed to be right before a feeding because everyone nursed off of mom after this. I am not sure how much that effects things.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Blake with kittens.jpg

Everyone supplemented (what I could get into them) Wiped down, and fresh blankets! The little black kitten seems to be taking the syringe the best now, she still fights it but in between her crying she licks the syringe sometimes so I was able to get more into her today. Just screams from everyone else though. I gave them what I could, until the next feeding! One kitten pooped right after I put them back in with the clean blankets :bawling2:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you try to put the black ones who are losing to nipples while the others are sleeping?

I wish they would take the supplemting better for you. :ohwell:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem is when I wake them up to put them on mom while the others are sleeping all they want to do is go back to sleep. So then I wake them up and try to supplement and they scream the entire time and the others wake up and decide they are hungry. The little black one latched on while the others were nursing but he/she wasn't the one who lost yesterday :/ maybe the others have been eating off of mom better today and they just were full?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's just concerning when kittens lose. Hopefully they will gain weight today.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I know :/ I am hopeful they got down any of what I have been trying to give them. I am just worried about them aspirating it because they are screaming- I have never had such difficulty supplementing- and I have done it a LOT.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That little tuxie-tortie-torbie kit has quite stolen my heart!

Poor Blake. Some cats are just better mothers than others, I guess. You'll have to step in, as you are doing, but at least she is taking some of the care off of you. I can't even guess how overwhelmed she must be, she hasn't had an easy time of it. HUGS to you for caring so very much! I'm following your FB page now, so it will be easier to keep up with all of them!