Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
A new issue. Last night Blake (new mom) had vomited. She did this morning too. It seems to just be the wet food that I was giving her. It was Wellness- not kitten but I had a lot donated to me so I thought she could eat some, she has been eating it the whole week she has been here, she only just started throwing it up... I took it away this morning and only let her have her dry kitten food... it didn't look like she ate anything today :( so I mixed up some KMR to see if she wanted some... she showed no interest. I gave her a can of the Fancy Feast Kitten, she the whole thing! Maybe it was just the brand of food? I guess we'll see if she throws it up tonight...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like an upset tummy. Refresh my memory on Blake. Is she in the bathroom with her kittens?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! She has the Easter kittens! Her poos are normal. Just the recent vomiting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you are right that the wellness is not agreeing with Blake for whatever reason.

Obviously with kittens to nurse she needs to eat, so give her the Fancy Feast. If she keeps that can down you may want to give her one more before you go to bed since she did not eat all day.

How are her kittens doing? Are they gaining well?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
They are doing well! I didn't bring the paper with their weights on it with me to work today but they are around 170grams, the smallest one (the black one that was the smallest in the beginning) was 145g if I remember correctly, but she is gaining every day! When do you usually notice if they are going to be long haired? I think a couple of the kittens look fuzzier than the others, but that just might be me looking too closely. I will get pictures tomorrow!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
London had her kittens tonight! 5! A couple of calicos looks like! Everyone is nursing!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Well it isnt letting me attach the video, if you go to Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue on facebook I put a video up that the foster sent me!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! I'll take a look at the video on FB. I hope the kittens and London will thrive! :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are going by tomorrow evening to bring them more blankets to replace the ones in the nesting box and get pictures of them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's exciting! I can't wait for your pictures.

Can you check on their weights and make sure the foster knows to watch for a runt? Also, to give London a dish a day of KMR for calcium! Thanks! ;)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I told the foster to offer her a dish of kmr and a can of food in the nest because she probably doesn't want to leave tonight! I did give her a scale when I took London over and told her to weigh them daily, I will make sure I get weights tomorrow though!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So Blake doesn't seem to be cleaning her kittens? I noticed yesterday that they seem to look wet or greasy looking. Well the nesting box was a mess and upon further inspection it seems like they are pooping wherever and then crawling through it and all over each other, etc. I wiped them all down with a damp cloth and a dry towel and returned them to the nest with clean blankets- they blankets are already covered in poop again. Its all over Blake's belly too. Is there anything I can do to encourage her to clean them? Or should I just keep wiping them down?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So Blake's kittens the last two days- two of them don't seem to be gaining. They aren't loosing but they are staying the same, its the smaller two. They are all always fighting for nipples, the smaller two just seem to have difficulty latching? Like clearly they are latching some times because they were gaining before. I took the two biggest ones (the orange ones) away but they couldn't seem to find anything. I guided them to one and they still rooted around like nothing was there. I tried to supplement them this morning and I don't think I have ever had kittens fight a feeding so hard. They screamed their little heads of the entire time. I don't know how much they actually took :( I feel so bad, they were gaining well so I sort of slacked off on recording their weights because I have been so busy and I thought they were fine. We have a 5k we are doing this morning, I will try to feed them again when we get back from that! And its such a mess in there. Like everything is covered in yellow kitten poop.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Blake has not figured out the cleaning part. Continue cleaning the kittens yourself a couple of times a day. Hopefully she will catch on.

You've got to supplement the babies who are not gaining. Did you try the burrito wrap? Let's hope they gain weight today. You know the drill about putting the littles on nipples while the bigs are sleeping.

It's good you started weighing her litter again so we can see exactly what's going on.

I'm excited to see London's babies!

Good luck with your 5k today!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
They are so so messy! I was told she had had another litter before this one so I thought she would be a little more experienced lol. I do the burrito wrap, but the entire time they are meowing their little heads off, so I am not sure how much they actually eat. They hate it! I have never had this much difficulty. Usually after a bit they get it and start drinking from the syringe. Nope. Ugh.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They sound very feisty! I'm hoping they start gaining soon and learn that the syringe is their friend. ;)

I know you are trying! How was the 5k?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Olivia's babies! They are so funny! They have started getting into EVERYTHING. They are so precious.
IMG_0452.jpg
IMG_0455.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The 5k was good! We just walked it with our dogs- it was for one of the other local pet rescues so it was a people and dogs 5k. They had a running one and a walking one. It was fun! Rainy and chilly but fun! Good to get out of the house lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would have walked too!

Your pictures really show the kittens' cuteness! I see on FB where you have lots of applications pending for them - yay! :rock: