Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Who here missed seeing pictures of Olivia's beautiful face? She hangs out on the bed with me to take a break from her kittens... something tells me here in a few days she won't be able to escape them!
IMG_0590.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So not a great update this morning. Blake's kittens still aren't gaining...
black- 173
orange 1- 200
orange 2- 175
black/white 1- 144
black/white 2- 172
The little black one now is the only one gaining.
I don't think Blake is feeling well... she certainly does not have the appetite of a nursing mom, which I think is making her not lactate as much which is why I think everyone is losing... I think that is why she has stopped grooming her babies and herself as well. I am not sure what could be wrong though. I made an appointment to take her and her kittens to the vet tomorrow evening at 4:15.
The kittens still scream their heads off when I feed. The little black one this morning finally started suckling- he/she seems to be the only one who gets it so far. Hopefully the others catch on soon and Momma eats some more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is very concerning. Are they losing weight, or just holding steady?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I posted the weights. Everyone but one lost today.. most just a few grams except for one of the black and white ones they lost more- I am worried about him/her,

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I saw the weights, but unless I see where they were last next to the new weight, it's hard to compare.

Is there no way to get to the vet sooner?

Do you have a queen with milk who can feed the babies temporarily?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have Olivia who has 5, 4 week olds. Sadie has one lactating nipple I think and Sabrina doesn't have any anymore.
They cry a LOT. I heard them crying down the hall when I went back to feed them. She keeps trying to move a couple of them to her litter box? Which makes everyone scream. I think I got at least 3mls into everyone. The only one who takes it willingly is the black one. Their screams are unbelievable. I got mom to eat a little bit of canned royal canin recovery- I know it is a highly palatable high calorie food so I figured it couldn't hurt. She ate a little and after trying to move her screaming babies to her litter box she finally settled in with them and let them nurse, they all quieted so maybe she has to be lactating some I just don't think its enough. I stayed because I was afraid if I left she would get up and move them all and stop nursing. Its going to be a long day and a long night at work with no sleep. I am hoping by the time I leave a couple more learn how to eat from the syringe. I don't know how Kyle is going to do feeding them with them screaming.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know this is frustrating. Maybe they are screaming from hunger. I hope he'll be able to feed them. It really sounds like mom does not have enough milk. :(

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
That is what I am thinking. I think their screams are stressing her out as much as they are me too and that is why she is trying to move some of them into her litter box? She hasn't vomited since I switched her food, however her appetite has seemed decreased since then... do you have any ideas as to what could be going on with her? Her fur is all gross like the kittens, I try to wipe her down when I do them. She seems exhausted and a little lethargic? Hopefully she eats more canned recovery.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

Will she drink KMR? She may need calcium. Nursing depletes it. Otherwise, she may have an internal infection.

Can a vet see her today? She may need fluids too.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

I think you need to begin feeding the kittens around the clock as though they are getting nothing.

They should quickly learn that the syringe means food, and stop fighting it if it's coming to them every 2 hours.

I'm afraid things will only get worse otherwise.

Poor mama kitty.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I can't take her until tomorrow evening unfortunately. She wont drink the KMR. She did eat about half of a 5 oz can of the recovery. She keeps moving them to her litter box. They are an unbelievable mess but I am afraid to wipe them off because I am worried about the litter clumping on them. I just reweighed them, after three very forced feedings they have all gained a few grams since this morning. Little black one is the only one who accepts it still. I put them back in the nesting box and she immediately tries to move them to the litter box. Sigh. I have been feeding around the clock as of this morning. I am just worried about how much Kyle will be able to get them to eat when I am at work.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also she doesn't seem dehydrated, I looked at how fast the skin goes back when you lift her scruff and it went back normal. I do have fluids here I can give her if needed.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
No, Just London who has her own 5 4 day old kittens... Do you think I should try taking them over to Olivia just for feedings every couple of hours and see if she will feed/clean them? Or do you think that will upset Blake to smell Olivia on them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought about that. I hate for them to take milk from Olivia's babies. She would be feeding ten kittens!

It sounds like mom needs more food for sure. She may just be worn out, though I wonder about infection.

This is a predicament. I just hope they do well for Kyle. When do you leave for work?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stupid question, since I've never had a mamma with babies, only abandoned ones. But, at this point, would it be better to take the babies and hand raise them? I know being with mamma is ideal, but it doesn't sound like it is in this case.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Just London who has her own 5 4 day old kittens... Do you think I should try taking them over to Olivia just for feedings every couple of hours and see if she will feed/clean them? Or do you think that will upset Blake to smell Olivia on them?
I'm not well versed enough on cat behavior to answer that. I can only reply what I would do. Try and get a foster, supplement when needed and spay the mama and put an end to her misery as a mama cat.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Stupid question, since I've never had a mamma with babies, only abandoned ones. But, at this point, would it be better to take the babies and hand raise them? I know being with mamma is ideal, but it doesn't sound like it is in this case.
This is essentially what I am doing right now.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
That's how I see things but I'm not the one stuck with two hour feedings. I've removed foals from their mama's when they did not take good care of them. It's just important any orphan has a species available they can relate to and learn from. Maybe the vet will have an easy fix tomorrow.