Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
No! Just called my vet, we are taking her in tomorrow at 7:30pm to get tested. Until then should I hold off on letting her out in Olivia's room?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Or can I let her out and just make sure that she doesnt use Olivia's litter box or food and water dishes?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks! Lots of handwashing between cats. She is eating and drinking fine, she has had some diarrhea but I wasn't sure if that was because she is pregnant + stress of the trip + diet change. Fingers crossed that is all that it is. 

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
It hasn't been bloody though, so that is hopeful right?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The diarrhea could be from all of the above, or she may be cleaning out her system in preparation for labor.

What color is the diarrhea?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be normal brown, but she has covered it with litter pretty well. She also hasn't been wormed so could be that. I think if she does test positive tomorrow, I will bring Olivia in to be tested (would it be too early for her to test positive if she has it?) then if Olivia is negative I will see if the foster will take Olivia and her babies. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I doubt Olivia has it. Let's see what happens with London first - hopefully nothing. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am so hoping her test comes back negative tomorrow (later today). But I am glad that the foster is willing to take Olivia and her babies (as long as Olivia is negative) if London is positive so that I can keep London in that room isolated from everyone else. Although if she is positive I am worried about containing it, I have read it is very contagious.

Sadie's vet visit went well- since I didn't really elaborate earlier. He said the mastitis is pretty mild, and gave me more clavamox for her and Sabrina (since she was using Sabrina's I was worried I would run out before they were done using it). He said the remaining two kittens looked great and agreed that all of the issues I was having was probably due to the vaccination from the sending shelter. He gave me Panacur for Sadie because he said the mastitis could be secondary to hookworms, and pyrantyl for the kittens.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
This morning there was a formed poo in her litter box- it was a little loose and a little green, but that could be a good sign right? (Guess I should be more specific- its London's box). She is still eating and drinking well. All of the kittens and mom's are great this morning!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That was an excellent vet visit. I don't understand the rescues giving vaccines, yet not testing strays for disease.

So London's poop was more formed after a dose of panacur? If so, that's good news!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't given London Panacur yet, I was so busy getting the antibiotics into Sadie and Sabrina and the wormer into them and the two older kittens that I didn't even think of it yet. I will start her on it today! But I am thinking the runny stools could have been change in diet/stress of the drive since they seem more formed now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the runny stools may be from stress and diet change. Still, yhe panacur will take care of any parasites. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Panacur is a still a good idea, as @sarthur2  said.  And I'm betting that the diarrhea is from stress.  Goodness knows, she has had enough of it recently.  Let us know when you get test results!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I worm everyone with Panacur- it just has been so hectic around here recently I haven't gotten around to getting it to her! Just a couple more hours until her appointment for her test! I am so anxious!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a lovely human being but you should insist cats coming into your home be tested prior.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
She was combo tested, but they don't usually test for Panleuk unless the symptoms are there. And for mild diarrhea it could be anything. 

She was negative!