Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aw so sorry to hear that, with no warning or bad signs, *hugs** and RIP little one 
  and sounds great advice from sarthur2 :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so upsetting. Everything was going fine. Should I just give her the doseage that I am giving Sabrina twice a day?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok! I also will try a warm compress as well and call my vet in the morning and see if they can squeeze us in! Everything happens all at the same time. I feel like such a failure. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

You are far from a failure. Get that out of your mind immediately. You are saving so many cats!

Being in rescue means dealing with losses. This batch of pregnant cats ALL received vaccinations they should NOT have been given. I still cannot believe these rescues do not know better.

The vaccines are probably the biggest issue causing the problems, not the mastitis.

You can also apply coconut or olive oil to that nipple as well.

Is Sabrina nursing kittens? is her milk in?

How is the dilute tortie doing now that you have her?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sabrina looks like she is nursing them, if they are they could be getting some antibiotics from her too! I haven't been able to verify for sure that Sabrina's milk has come in because she is still so shy, she freaks out when I pick her up. The Dilute tortie is settling in and hanging out in her nesting box in her large dog crate. I pray I don't have issues with her, I am not sure I can handle it. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I asked because you need to weigh the kitten or kittens who are nursing Sabrina just to make sure they are getting milk and gaining. I'm hoping her milk is coming in. I would think so.

Good to hear the tortie is doing well. She needs a name soon too!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

You are far from a failure. Get that out of your mind immediately. You are saving so many cats!
I couldn't have said it any better!

Sending you lots of love and hugs ashade1 ashade1 and lots of love to all the kitties in your care [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

[emoji]128149[/emoji]RIP sweet little girl [emoji]128149[/emoji] You knew so much love during your all too short time here on this earth. Sarge is looking after her now [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise

Lol I had to climb in the cage with her to get pictures... I think I like the city name idea... she sort of looks like a London! 

I am going to weigh everyone right now and post weights. I kept forgetting with everything going on. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is very pretty!

I am anxious to see weights. I know you're upset. I would be too. Take a deep breath ...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, Olivia's Kittens

1- 180

2-165

3-166

4-171

5-149

They sort of take turns on who the runt is. I will weigh EVERYONE again in the morning. If 5 hasn't gained (but I think he/she will) I will supplement him/her.

Sadie's

boy- 306

girl- 256

I sat with her tonight and they both nursed off of her well. Sabrina hopped down towards the end. She seems to just want to cuddle them. I don't think she has milk in- I tried to look. I did see some bloody discharge and her vagina seems swollen still (It was swollen when the kitten got stuck). I think this is normal given what she went through? I will keep an eye on her. 

How urgently should I try to get Sadie and her kittens to the vet? I will be giving her the antibiotics, I just wasn't sure if I should try to get an "urgent" appointment and pay the extra fee or just take whenever they can get me in, even if it isn't until the next day... 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

You last posted weights 3 days ago. Regarding Sadie's kittens, I see the weights were 265, 251, and 230 at that time. Which current weights from today belong to whom since there are only 2 now.

Regarding Olivia's kittens, they have all gained like super stars! Even 5 has gained 42 grams over the last 3 days. They are doing great!

No need for an urgent appointment for Sadie.

I expect that Sabrina's bottom will be sore and swollen for a few days after having a kitten stuck. The bloody discharge is normal as well. It should diminish and stop in about a week. Be concerned if it becomes heavy or does not stop.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok! I also will try a warm compress as well and call my vet in the morning and see if they can squeeze us in! Everything happens all at the same time. I feel like such a failure. 
You are not a failure. The people who had these cats before and dumped them unfixed onto the streets are the failures.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So for Sadie's kittens the boy was kitten #2 (the first weight listed since I left the numbers the same after the runt passed) And the girl is the last weight listed there. She was #4. Sorry if that is confusing because of the kittens that passed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sadie's kittens are also doing great with their weights. I hope Sabrina enjoys cuddling with the family. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably be more worried about Sabrina's bleeding and swelling, (even though I know its somewhat normal given what she has went through- I am a worrier sometimes- especially with all of this that is happening) but she is in such great spirits. Eating more, snuggling with everyone. I wish I could keep better track on if she is regularly going to the bathroom... I haven't seen her go but the litter box certainly is full with the two of them in there.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Olivia's babies are growing like weeds! They are sooo much bigger than Sadie's were at that age.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sabrina sounds like she is doing fine. She's on antibiotics which will prevent infection. Just keep weighing Sadie's two babies. Olivia's kittens are HUGE!

I'm excited for the new tortie's kittens soon, and hope there are no issues with them.

Have you mentioned to ALL the rescues you work with to stop vaccinating the pregnant queens? By vaccinate I mean ALL vaccines including rabies. I hope they will change their protocol. I hope it's volunteers who may not know better, rather than a vet or experienced director, but a person in charge needs to let it be known that it's taboo.

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So Sadie and her kittens will be going to the vet tomorrow at 3:30!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

How is Sabrina and her bottom today?