Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ashade1 ashade1 I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Sarge! How terrible!!
Sending you lots of love and hugs [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

[emoji]128149[/emoji]RIP handsome Sarge[emoji]128149[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry. What a shock. Such a handsome guy. RIP dear boy. I know this is hard for you. Very perplexing!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! It definitely was very sudden! We are still planning on picking up our dilute tortie girl this evening. The sending shelter said they did not combo vaccinate her because she is pregnant but they did give her her rabies. Do you think I will have the same issues I had with Sadie and Sabrina? Or are there less risks for them giving a rabies vaccine to a pregnant cat than a combo vaccine?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also do you guys think that Sadie's kittens are at risk of having Cerebellar Hyperplasia because of the vaccines? One of my friends who fosters had a couple of CH kittens a while back, I am just wondering if they could possibly have it and when I would know? They are a little shaky, etc now but I am wondering if that is just normal young kitten clumsiness.. or I am just being paranoid. lol

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you all! It definitely was very sudden! We are still planning on picking up our dilute tortie girl this evening. The sending shelter said they did not combo vaccinate her because she is pregnant but they did give her her rabies. Do you think I will have the same issues I had with Sadie and Sabrina? Or are there less risks for them giving a rabies vaccine to a pregnant cat than a combo vaccine?
All I know is most veterinarians want to give the rabies and the one  took Tera to wouldn't when I called before she had kittens and wouldn't vaccinate her for rabies while her kits were nursing. They perhaps should initiate a 10 day holding which is pretty standard.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All vaccinations are contraindicated in pregnant cats, including rabies. Why they would give any shot is beyond me, especially when the cat is now living indoors.

Regardless, we'll just have to see. The tortie is apparently pretty far along, so let's hope kitten development is not affected.

You'll have to wait and see also on the CH with Sadie's kittens. It sounds right now like normal tiny kitten behavior.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
All the girls are doing great this morning. Sabrina is now nursing at least one of Sadie's kittens, while Sadie is nursing the other two! Olivia and her babies are doing GREAT! A few more hours until we go get the dilute tortie, any name ideas?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay for Sabrina nursing one of Sadie's kittens! These 2 sisters, Sadie and Sabrina, just melt my heart. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about Hunger Games themed names?
Or Twilight themed names?
Lol those are the only two movie/book series I've found with enough girl/boy names if they all happened to be the same sex.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the girls are doing great this morning. Sabrina is now nursing at least one of Sadie's kittens, while Sadie is nursing the other two! Olivia and her babies are doing GREAT! A few more hours until we go get the dilute tortie, any name ideas?
Sabrina and Sadie are quickly gaining a place in my heart like momma Andy did...what amazing and sweet girls...talk about an example of pure love [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

What about London for the new momma? Her babies could all have city themed names?

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sabrina and Sadie are quickly gaining a place in my heart like momma Andy did...what amazing and sweet girls...talk about an example of pure love [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

What about London for the new momma? Her babies could all have city themed names?
I love the London themed idea! I would have never of thought of that!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so happy that Sabrina has a kitten to love and nurture after losing hers.  It will also help her hormones get back to normal faster.  

As for names...Perhaps you could go to the Cozy Mystery blog.  They have a HUGE section on books with cats as central characters.  You could name Mama and the kittens after cat detectives!  Dulcie comes to mind, as does Eddie, Joe Grey, Midnight Louie...in fact, if you enter "cozy mysteries with cats" in google, it will take you right to the page.  TONS of kitty names there!  LOL...I am enamored of the name "Midnight Louie" for a black cat!

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead (graphic novels AND TV series), they have plenty of names! My next suggestion is going to be weird, but since she's a dilute tortie, I began thinking about turtles, and then Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... They have at least one girl name, April. And finally, how about famous painters?

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just scrolled back to see the pic of the cat you're looking for names for! What about planets? I was thinking she could be a Venus?? :-) xx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure how the boy girl thing would work though but sure it could be worked out. And if by any chance she had more than 8 kittens lol I'm sure there are some moons you could use, lol!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am at such a loss. We just got home with the dilute tortie and I found one of Sadie's girls passed. They were all gaining. I don't know how this happened. Upon closer inspection of Sadie she appears to have mastitis of one of her nipples. Could this have gotten that kitten sick? I am a mess. Can I give sadie some of the clavamox they gave me for Sabrina? I plan on making a vet appointment but I mean until then... I wasn't sure if that was what they normally give... this litter was set up for failure I think. 

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Should I start just giving the kittens formula to prevent them from getting the bacterial infection as well?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

Give Sadie the clavamox. The kittens have already been exposed, and will get the antibiotiic through her milk. No need to supplement unless they are not gaining.

So sorry and how puzzling.