Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol everything was happening very fast! Now we will wait to hear back from the shelter that has the dilute tortie and arrange picking her up! I am so relieved! 

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad everything is working out for you!!!
Everyone's heads are spinning now that kitten season is in full affect! It's so sad to see so many animals not fixed. :/
Glad to see everyone's weights doing good as well.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
This breaks my heart. I was awakened very early this morning to Sabrina giving birth. Due to vaccines given by the shelter they were at before me, they were way premature - the reason we had problems with Sadie's kittens. Two had already passed by the time I realized she had given birth. Two are still alive but they won't make it through the morning. They are only 60 grams. One of them didn't even have fur thats how premature it was. I left to mix up KMR to try to force them to eat and when I came back in the room I burst into tears. Sabrina got into Sadie's nesting box with her and her kittens and Sadie is comforting her through her loss. I'm so upset with everything that has happened to these poor cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! [emoji]128546[/emoji]

The picture is so sweet and so sad.

A part of me feels angry. Please reiterate to the rescue the importance of NOT vaccinating a pregnant cat at any stage.

Call around and see if any orphan kittens need a mom. Sabrina can mother them. She'll have milk.

I'm upset too.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just got this from the volunteer rescue coordinator from that shelter:

"Oh no!!!! 
 oh Alyssa that is heartbreaking:( I'm so so so sorry you had to see that and That she had to go through it:( 

Those poor babies....poor Sabrina. I am thankful they are together and have one another. 

The other one that came in with them passed away:( she got an upper respiratory infection and didn't improve with treatment. She also miscarried her babies. The vet suspects she had FIP, as her lungs were filling with fluid. We had her euthanized to end her suffering. This happened Thursday:("

She is talking about the third girl that I didn't take that I posted before. I am going to tell them that in the future I will not be able to pull anymore pregnant cats from them if they are going to vaccinate them. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh ... who does their vaccinating? A vet should know better. If it's volunteers, they need to put out a memo to all. I feel sick over this.

And now the third cat has lost her life.

Poor Sabrina.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! [emoji]128546[/emoji]

The picture is so sweet and so sad.

A part of me feels angry. Please reiterate to the rescue the importance of NOT vaccinating a pregnant cat at any stage.

Call around and see if any orphan kittens need a mom. Sabrina can mother them. She'll have milk.

I'm upset too.
The veterinarian refused to give Tera her shots even after she had the babies and was nursing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right! Nursing moms should not be vaccinated either. The vaccine would then be in the milk and cause potential harm to the babies.

There is a reason why kittens are not vaccinated until 8 weeks old, and should not have a rabies shot until they are 6 months.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Right! Nursing moms should not be vaccinated either. The vaccine would then be in the milk and cause potential harm to the babies.

There is a reason why kittens are not vaccinated until 8 weeks old, and should not have a rabies shot until they are 6 months.
If you are going to save pregnant cats and their kittens you need to make sure the kits arrive and stay healthy. I feel awful for this poor cat. And for @ashade1

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That photo of Sadie and Sabrina was both heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. It is a testament to how loving cats are.
Thank goodness these two are in your safe, warm loving home [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So the rescue coordinator from the rescue I am pulling the dilute tortie from (its a different shelter than the one Sabrina and Sadie came from), she said they combo tested her and gave her her rabies vaccine, but didn't give a combo vaccine because she is pregnant. Should I expect problems since they did the rabies vaccine?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

ALL vaccines are contraindicated for pregnant moms. I cannot for the life of me understand why a shelter would give a pregnant cat a rabies vaccination. These cats can all be vaccinated later! This needs to stop.

How recent was the vaccination?

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are rushing Sabrina to our emergency vet. I walked in she has a kitten stuck coming out. I don't know how long it has been there. Prayers. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! Hope Sabrina will be okay. Poor gal.

Please update as soon as possible!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I commented on your FB page. Go for the shot of oxytocin since they got the kitten out. It may just be a placenta, or it may be nothing.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are rushing Sabrina to our emergency vet. I walked in she has a kitten stuck coming out. I don't know how long it has been there. Prayers. 
Praying for sweet Sabrina [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]
Poor thing has been through far too much already!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who don't follow us on facebook, they got the kitten out, did x-rays to check for more kittens. They didnt see any on the x-ray, but she said she felt something. They gave her a shot of oxytocin to stimulate contractions to get anything remaining out and antibiotics for the next few days! We are home now.