Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats don't produce milk until after giving birth. Others are dripping ahead of time. Let's wait and see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise

A video of Sadie and her babies!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Can spayed cats go into heat? Or like a fake heat? One of my spayed fosters Willow has been crying for the last couple of nights and rolling around on the floor acting like she is in heat, but she is spayed. She is a former feral so this is completely out of character lol. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can spayed cats go into heat? Or like a fake heat? One of my spayed fosters Willow has been crying for the last couple of nights and rolling around on the floor acting like she is in heat, but she is spayed. She is a former feral so this is completely out of character lol. 
A cat can have heat cycles if she has been improperly spayed. If the tiniest bit of ovarian tissue has been left behind, she will go into heat. She cannot get pregnant since she does not have a uterus, but the heat cycles will drive you nuts.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
She has been spayed for a while... I have had her since December and I know she had been spayed at least a few months before then. This is the first I am seeing this behavior, do you think it is because she is just now getting comfortable? Its a really deep meow, with a little chirping before it, if that makes sense. And she continues on until Sherbet- a neutered male from the same colony pays attention to her. Its kind of cute and kind of annoying. She could also be responding to the hormones from the three momma cats in the apartment? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think all of your theories may be right! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Had to share these pictures I got with my phone camera today!

First, Olivia. She is getting so big... when will we be getting kittens?? She is keeping me waiting because she knows I am going nuts!

Finally Sadie and her sweet little minions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Olivia is very big - poor gal. I love the coloring of Sadie and her crew! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Olivia is going to explode at any given minute!  She so reminds me of Hekitty.  And if I can't get H off of the Temptations, she is going to look like Olivia soon, without  the excuse of being pregnant.  She is beginning to look like a furry soccer ball.  SIGH...we have cut way down, but I fear for my life if I cut her off entirely!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So as of tonight- no new kittens... However- Olivia has started lactating! So any day now! Sabrina is still soooo skinny. Like I can feel her spine and hips and shoulders when I pet her... she doesn't look underweight I think only because of the pregnancy.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sabrina doesn't eat a lot when I am in the room because she still acts nervous around me. Sometimes when I am in there I get her out from the corner and open a can and she eats it, but I dont see her eat much. But I leave the dry kitten food out all of the time and canned food, but I dont feel like I have to fill the dry food up as much as I should with two momma cats in there. 

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So still no kittens from Olivia and Sabrina.. they love to keep us in suspense- especially Olivia. Olivia seemed to be nesting today so we shall see! Sadie's babies are gaining a LOT. Chunky little monkeys. I will post weights tomorrow! Kitten #2 has started opening his eyes! I believe we have two girls and a boy! I will try to get pictures so you guys can help me confirm this!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise

Just contacted about this sweet mom and her babies. I don't have room for this, but I can't bare to think of her raising her babies in a cage!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are you going to do? Is your bedroom available? What about a bathroom switchup?

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love and admire the work you do but remember your limites! I hope everything works out for this momma and baby but I don't want to see you crazy stressed when you have 3 liters of kittens.
If you can handle it, do you have a bathroom that doesn't already have a cat in it? A pantry or closet you could clean out and close off? I wish I had more space to help too! It sucks when that is the only thing holding you back from helping more. :/

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I think today is the day for Olivia! She has had some dark brown/red discharge and I feel one of the kittens really low! 

As far as the black and white mom goes, I am reaching out to other rescue groups. There is not much I can do because I don't have room. I feel so bad, and I know other rescue groups are filling up with pregnant cats as well! We will see...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like Olivia is on her way. I do hope another foster can be found for that mom and her kittens.

Keep us posted!