Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Never mind. I laid down with Sabrina just now and saw/felt a LOT of strong fetal movement. But she doesn't look pregnant at all! She must only have one or two! 

Sadie's kitten weights

2- 130

3- 147

4- 113

Everyone is gaining! I will start supplementing kitten 4 more today! (I couldn't bear to re number them)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, 4 needs help, but the others are doing well.

I now agree that Sabrina should carry her pregnancy since you detected movement. She may still have a couple weeks to go. It's so hard to know.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The movement felt a lot stronger than that of which I felt in Olivia... do you think that is because she is farther along? Or because there aren't as many babies and they have more room to move? She really does not look pregnant at all. I would be surprised if there was more than two. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be either or both. Do you have a nest set up for Sabrina in the room?

How is Olivia doing?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I took the top and bottom of a plastic dog crate that was donated to me and made two big nests for Sabrina and Sadie before we got them! Olivia is doing well, her eyes are looking a lot better with the antibiotic! The towels in her nesting box were messed up this morning when I walked in so maybe she has finally started nesting! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad her eyes are getting better. It sounds like everything is under control. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
How often do you think I should supplement #4? I don't think I need to every hour... maybe every 4?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Supplement 6 times a day for now. He needs to gain 6-10 grams per day if possible. Hopefully with your help we'll see that begin to happen!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise

A video of the fetal movement I saw in Sabrina this morning!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I think Olivia might have her kittens tonight or tomorrow :) She has been nesting- she has shown no interest in her nesting box before today. She is still eating. I have not noticed any other signs of labor but I have a feeling it is going to be soon :) 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she's getting close! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

I was unable to access the video of Sabrina.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try now, I had my privacy settings weird. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It came right up this time. Yep, babies are really moving! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

I could hear tiny kitten meows in the background. [emoji]128571[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Lol the tiny kitten meows was Sadie grooming her babies. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

The runt passed away this morning. Rest in peace little guy <3

Let me know your thoughts on spaying Sabrina, I would like to get opinions on it before I contact the people who help me fund the spays sometimes. 
I'm so sorry.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

The movement felt a lot stronger than that of which I felt in Olivia... do you think that is because she is farther along? Or because there aren't as many babies and they have more room to move? She really does not look pregnant at all. I would be surprised if there was more than two. 
My plan was to spay Tera and put her back outside and try and make a safe place for her. You know how that worked out. I can't say I would have adopted anymore cats and yet I have no regrets in how this played out. Her two little goobers are rolling around at my feet right now.

The reality is mother cats should be spayed kittens or not but but but ask anyone who has been in rescue about burnout. I think at some point deciding to spay or not is as personal as a woman's right to choose. Each of the kittens that come into your care will be S/N and the end of one tiny part of the problem. You did not make the problem you are fixing it one cat at a time. If a few kittens come into the world they were lucky to have landed with you.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise

My plan was to spay Tera and put her back outside and try and make a safe place for her. You know how that worked out. I can't say I would have adopted anymore cats and yet I have no regrets in how this played out. Her two little goobers are rolling around at my feet right now.

The reality is mother cats should be spayed kittens or not but but but ask anyone who has been in rescue about burnout. I think at some point deciding to spay or not is as personal as a woman's right to choose. Each of the kittens that come into your care will be S/N and the end of one tiny part of the problem. You did not make the problem you are fixing it one cat at a time. If a few kittens come into the world they were lucky to have landed with you.
I love Tera and the meatballs. I wish more people cared. Lots of ferals in my community. A lot of people will complain about them, no one wants to help them. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I love Tera and the meatballs. I wish more people cared. Lots of ferals in my community. A lot of people will complain about them, no one wants to help them. 
From my perspective if you terminate all cats with kittens via spay it's going to have long reaching impacts on the humans involved. The shelters and rescues in NM are already begging for money and fosters. We have some new resources out here but in Alb it's almost always possible for anyone to get their pet S/N for free. The day I adopted Mercy I had to leave 100 plus begging little kits behind. There isn't a right or wrong answer and maybe letting yourself decide on a case by case basis is the best way to go. You are not a machine.