Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So I remembered that I had DermaVet ointment from when Franklin was having all of those issues and had an inflammed/irritated butt, so I put some of that on him. He seems to be doing a little better since adding olive oil to the formula. I weighed him, he is up to 77 grams...  I am hoping he doesn't poop and go back down lol. I am going to stay optimistic with him. I am not giving up. I am not sure I posted Lilly on here... I got her as a stray... he is about 6 or 7 months old, she was very early pregnant- I have had her a couple of weeks so she must have gone into heat and gotten pregnant like the week before I got her, I was able to get her in for a spay today. One less litter of kittens to be homeless. I feel a little less guilty about not spaying Olivia as soon as I got her (I was being pressured by another rescue group). 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am with you on not giving up hope for the runt! Glad you were able to get Lilly spayed today. She is too young to be having kittens. You really do so much!

kittylover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely she does and yay Lily is spayed!!! Yes thank you for not giving up little runt[emoji]128147[/emoji][emoji]128147[/emoji][emoji]128147[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow why was the other rescue group pressuring you? If you don't mind me asking!
They just kept telling me that they spay at any point during the pregnancy, and that every kitten born is another homeless cat. I explained that I don't feel comfortable spaying after I can feel fetal movement. Then they offered to take the momma cats from me and have them spayed. I feel like I try so hard to prevent pregnancies that I shouldn't be guilted into aborting kittens when I get a cat too late. Of course if I would have gotten them before they got pregnant or soon after I would have had them spayed. I know they have good intentions, but sometimes working with other rescue groups is very frustrating. 

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are amazing with everything you do. I'm super busy this week but please send me a link and I'll buy you something from Amazon to help you out whatever you need, someone said you had a wish list somewhere? I'm in the uk but sure I can figure it out. Although the currency conversion sucks right now lol!! Rather give money to someone like you where I know it goes direct to helping kitties in need xxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey ashade1 ashade1

Hope you're doing great today! Just had a look at your wish list [emoji]128578[/emoji]

Happy to buy anything except purina, or hills, because of this http://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/6188-prescription-dog-cat-foods-face-anti-trust-lawsuit and also here in the uk I've looked at those brands on Zooplus and they are VERY cagey about their ingredients which makes me think they're too much stuffed with corn and other cheap fillers.

So what would you prefer?? Would this be useful?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I3IUWHQ/?tag=&tag=thecatsite I think you'd have to add to your wish list if so? I looked at thrive kitten food but it's prohibitively expensive over your way, columbine here recommended it to me and it's grown on us all...

So please let me know what you could use the most! Xx kmr? Litter? Cardboard carry boxes? Litter tracking pads? Kitten toys?? Or the other brands of food on there?? Happy to spend around $50 so please just let me know what!

And please post more pics of your beautiful kittens xxx

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
@sunshineclare  I will take a look at my list and add some other things and I will message you!

My runt is not doing good. :/ Kyle took on a couple of feedings before I had to go to work so that I could get some sleep. When I was getting ready to go I went in to weigh him, he is up to 78 grams, which is fine I guess. But he is not doing good. He is now acting lethargic. Not doing anything but laying. I got him to poop before I left, his butt doesn't seem to be bleeding anymore. I rubbed honey on his gums, but there really isn't much that I can do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor little fellow. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Is Kyle caring for him tonight while you work?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
He will be waking up every hour to feed, but I am not sure he will make it through the night. I wish I were home with him.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't gotten any updates for the last two feedings... I think Kyle has slept through his alarms :/

Another thing I wanted opinions on..  Sabrina (the other pregnant mom from the other rescue) she doesn't seem to be too far along. The only sign of her being pregnant seems to be her pink nipples, her belly isn't too round or firm. And since they vaccinated her so early in her pregnancy I am considering going ahead and getting her in for a spay... what do you think? I am just worried about if the kittens miscarry because of the vaccines and cause complications for her. Also I feel like that is why we have been having issues with Sadie's kittens so much...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The runt passed away this morning. Rest in peace little guy <3

Let me know your thoughts on spaying Sabrina, I would like to get opinions on it before I contact the people who help me fund the spays sometimes. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about the runt. He really fought hard. It did seem like it was coming. It may have been a heart defect. How are Sadie's other kittens doing?

If Sabrina is not far along then definitely get her spayed asap. No question about it. The vaccines pose a huge risk to the kittens. Is she still chilling in the room with Sadie?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Sadie goes and lays with Sabrina when she wants a break from her kittens. They are so sweet together. Sabrina is becoming more comfortable with me. The remaining kittens seem fine, I will weigh and post weights in a bit!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! I am anxious to see their weights.

Last edited: