Remembering Krista

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 21, 2020:
It’s odd. I don’t have any record of this vet visit. Not a receipt. Nothing in Krista’s Care thread. Probably an ultrasound and IV fluids based on what got shaved. You would think that would be a pretty big deal. Whether it was the lymphoma or the chemo, her fur never fully grew back. 😿
View attachment 363043View attachment 363044View attachment 363045View attachment 363046View attachment 363047View attachment 363048
Ever the little beauty, though!:hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking for a “recent” photo of Krista to compare the arm fur. I can’t believe it’s been over 4 months now. And yet sometimes, like when I see this photo from the end of July, it feels like it’s been only four days. 😭 I’m crying over how thin she was here. She was a fighter and a lover. But she really was an ill cat. 😿 I’m relieved that she is not suffering anymore. But this is going to be a hard week! 🤦🏼‍♂️😭
9A157311-53C1-44B3-80DE-2D35A46F4D93.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking for a “recent” photo of Krista to compare the arm fur. I can’t believe it’s been over 4 months now. And yet sometimes, like when I see this photo from the end of July, it feels like it’s been only four days. 😭 I’m crying over how thin she was here. She was a fighter and a lover. But she really was an ill cat. 😿 I’m relieved that she is not suffering anymore. But this is going to be a hard week! 🤦🏼‍♂️😭
View attachment 363049
I know. Four months for us, too, after losing our beloved angel Tarifa, just a few days after you lost Krista. We are so grateful that they are not in pain and suffering! and it is so hard for us to remain behind without them. I remember how Tar would give me love bites, try to chew on my hair, and shiver her tail at me when she was ecstatically happy. I remember her walking the hall with her "kills", bellowing. There are so many precious memories.
They are the most beloved of beings!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't cried this hard since the first week or two. Still soggy and blubbering. Thank goodness the morning meeting is canceled this week. And that I have just three more work days left this year. This will be the first time in nearly a decade that I haven't spent Christmas Eve in a hotel room. I'm Jewish. So being alone on Christmas Eve shouldn't bother me. But I started the Christmas Eve hotel staycation tradition nearly a decade ago (not entirely sure when I started doing it) and it hasn't been much of an issue since. I pick up a Christmas stout and watch Die Hard and Gremlins: quintessential Christmas movies! 😹 I've stayed in some nice rooms around town for a pretty decent rate. Last year, I was feeding Krista too often to leave her alone and I wasn't going to ask a sitter to work Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. And anyway, she had already stayed with me in a hotel three times that autumn. So last year, Krista got to spend Christmas Eve with me in the hotel for the first time. There will be pictures of that coming in a few days. But this year, I don't risk staying in a hotel because of Covid concerns. And no Krista this year for the first time in 14 years. And since there was only a month of between cats gap in the summer that I got Krista, this will be the first holidays I've spent without a furball companion in nearly two decades.

Anyway, I need to see fat and furry Krista pictures after the ones I shared earlier this morning.
IMG_1025.JPG IMG_2905.JPG IMG_3979.JPG krista.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista did come home for Christmas!
8DEC23BE-52FF-4680-87AE-1B00CC39E80B.jpeg
She finally gets to sit in that tree that arrived after she passed. And wouldn’t you know it? She’s too fat for it! 🐷🤦🏼‍♂️😹

I’m not sure where to hang this. That’s a lot of Krista! It’s also shaped like a tombstone 🪦🤦🏼‍♂️😿 She may go in the closet until I can find a better place for her. It’s a walk-in closet. I’ll hang her on the back wall. She won’t get buried with the other junk in the closet. I just don’t know if I’m ready to look at this cutout all day, every day. Yet. Also, I wish I chose a fatter photo. Like one of the iconic kitchen counter shots. 😔
8DEC23BE-52FF-4680-87AE-1B00CC39E80B.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista did come home for Christmas!
View attachment 363063
She finally gets to sit in that tree that arrived after she passed. And wouldn’t you know it? She’s too fat for it! 🐷🤦🏼‍♂️😹

I’m not sure where to hang this. That’s a lot of Krista! It’s also shaped like a tombstone 🪦🤦🏼‍♂️😿 She may go in the closet until I can find a better place for her. It’s a walk-in closet. I’ll hang her on the back wall. She won’t get buried with the other junk in the closet. I just don’t know if I’m ready to look at this cutout all day, every day. Yet. Also, I wish I chose a fatter photo. Like one of the iconic kitchen counter shots. 😔
View attachment 363063
Beautiful "fat" Krista pix! It looks as if she thoroughly enjoyed that time there with you. I really love the second pic -- she looks like she's dancing! Lovely.
I'm glad she's home with you and I wouldn't have made that analogy. I would have compared the shape to that of a stained glass window or a fine cabinet "cathedral" style door. Hope those help.
Christmas has always just been a secular holiday for me, living here -- it has been a beautiful family time in the past, but it's nothing now, just Thursday. If anything, though, for me, it's a day to be so glad of my beloved companions, all of them, and our many good fortunes -- we have a good place, in a good city, with plenty of food including some special things (my roomie gave me a 99% chocolate bar from Lithuania, probably the first time I've had anything from there. It's the BEST chocolate I've ever had. And as oranges are my favorite fruit, I'm happy to have a bag of mandarins plus 2 -- count 'em, TWO! -- homegrown Valencias, my little tree's gift to me this year.) We're healthy and happy, all things considered. I'd exchange much for one Tarifa, but that is not possible.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful "fat" Krista pix! It looks as if she thoroughly enjoyed that time there with you. I really love the second pic -- she looks like she's dancing! Lovely.
I'm glad she's home with you and I wouldn't have made that analogy. I would have compared the shape to that of a stained glass window or a fine cabinet "cathedral" style door. Hope those help.
Christmas has always just been a secular holiday for me, living here -- it has been a beautiful family time in the past, but it's nothing now, just Thursday. If anything, though, for me, it's a day to be so glad of my beloved companions, all of them, and our many good fortunes -- we have a good place, in a good city, with plenty of food including some special things (my roomie gave me a 99% chocolate bar from Lithuania, probably the first time I've had anything from there. It's the BEST chocolate I've ever had. And as oranges are my favorite fruit, I'm happy to have a bag of mandarins plus 2 -- count 'em, TWO! -- homegrown Valencias, my little tree's gift to me this year.) We're healthy and happy, all things considered. I'd exchange much for one Tarifa, but that is not possible.
The second one is what I call her Thriller pose (after the Michael Jackson song and video of the the same name.)

I couldn't leave her in the closet. She's back in that tree she never knew. I'll let her sit there for now while I ruminate over a forever spot for her.

I might have her replace that watercolor print in the hall.
26EAF6E1-12C3-49FF-ADE2-2F78188E84EB.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second one is what I call her Thriller pose (after the Michael Jackson song and video of the the same name.)

I couldn't leave her in the closet. She's back in that tree she never knew. I'll let her sit there for now while I ruminate over a forever spot for her.

I might have her replace that watercolor print in the hall.
View attachment 363093
Yes, that's what that pose reminded me of, too -- love MJJ!
That might be a good place!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That cutout is a lot of Krista! Larger than life. Larger than me! 🐯

If this Krista climbed on top of me for a belly ride, I'd be finished. She could gnaw on head like a catnip mouse. Good thing she's toothless here.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t forget to swipe for the other two pictures: “Krista on a cloud” and “Not a creature was stirring, not even a bookcase cat.” 😹😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! And loving the vocalizings. Is that a mewrrr? or a purrrroww?
It’s a trill meow. And while this one is cuter with the more diminutive meow, this is essentially the triple tap sound on my phone now. The trill alone is a double tap. And yet somehow, when I set my phone down on a desk, it’s the triple tap that’s registered. I hear a more insistent meow. And every time, like instinct. Like old times. I say back to her something like, “Indeed, little one!” 😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a trill meow. And while this one is cuter with the more diminutive meow, this is essentially the triple tap sound on my phone now. The trill alone is a double tap. And yet somehow, when I set my phone down on a desk, it’s the triple tap that’s registered. I hear a more insistent meow. And every time, like instinct. Like old times. I say back to her something like, “Indeed, little one!” 😻
I might never get any work done at all, if I did something like that. I love going back through my files and listening to little video clips of Tarifa, and others, too. They're here with me once again when I'm watching and listening.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might never get any work done at all, if I did something like that. I love going back through my files and listening to little video clips of Tarifa, and others, too. They're here with me once again when I'm watching and listening.
You know what's distracting right now? A nearly three foot Krista sitting in the tree opposite my desk. Giving me a feed me look. Good thing I didn't have to keep up with this Krista's appetite. 🐷 🤦‍♂️😹 I'm warming up to her cutout. I mean how can I say no to that face?

I'm thinking about how to get a custom mounting and framing. I'd like the background to place her back in a ballpark seat. I'd like to honor the summer that she sat in the stands when none of us could. Instead of just having a freakishly large cardboard cutout of her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what's distracting right now? A nearly three foot Krista sitting in the tree opposite my desk. Giving me a feed me look. Good thing I didn't have to keep up with this Krista's appetite. 🐷 🤦‍♂️😹 I'm warming up to her cutout. I mean how can I say no to that face?

I'm thinking about how to get a custom mounting and framing. I'd like the background to place her back in a ballpark seat. I'd like to honor the summer that she sat in the stands when none of us could. Instead of just having a freakishly large cardboard cutout of her.
That's a great idea!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw this and thought you might like to see it, too. It's a really nice multipurpose piece.
Foldaway Pet Step Ottoman with Toy Storage from Pet Fusion
I have plenty of bin storage and two full toy bins. I haven't had the heart to go through them yet. Do catnip mice "expire"? Should I be re-gifting the unused mice rather than waiting for NC?

And don't get me started on stairs. I have plenty of Katris pieces. OC is just starting to discover how to use the kitchen stairs. He followed me back to my unit a couple times recently.

And then there is the staircase to nowhere by the front door.
IMG_2536.JPG
I never could find a place for it. I parked it there by the door. And there is where it remains. It's not a bad mud room table for setting things down on my way in or out. Or support for changing into/out of shoes.

("Soon, Krista. The feeders will open soon. Go finish first breakfast." 😹 )

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a fun picture. It's kinda meta. If you look at the iPad screen, you can look down the hall to the home office where this picture is being taken. Unfortunately, the placement of the camera is wrong to capture Krista and I sitting at the desk.
IMG_1579.JPG

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have plenty of bin storage and two full toy bins. I haven't had the heart to go through them yet. Do catnip mice "expire"? Should I be re-gifting the unused mice rather than waiting for NC?

And don't get me started on stairs. I have plenty of Katris pieces. OC is just starting to discover how to use the kitchen stairs. He followed me back to my unit a couple times recently.

And then there is the staircase to nowhere by the front door.
View attachment 363270
I never could find a place for it. I parked it there by the door. And there is where it remains. It's not a bad mud room table for setting things down on my way in or out. Or support for changing into/out of shoes.

("Soon, Krista. The feeders will open soon. Go finish first breakfast." 😹 )
What an adorable Krista waiting for something different! "But Dad, I don't WANT first breakfast! I want to see what's in those feeders and then -- and only then -- might I eat something!"
You can put the mice in a plastic bag and seal it to keep them fresh. You can add some loose catnip if you want, or use some catnip spray -- a staple in our house -- when you want to give them out. Or, yes, you could gift them to a good cat.
Yeah, stairs can have many uses.
:redheartpump::caticon::redheartpump::heartshape:*I won't say how happy it makes me reading about OC.*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 23, 2019:
I must have bought her half a dozen fountains. The only thing she would drink out of reliably was the toilet (I didn’t let her unless I forgot to put the lid down) or my water glass. She would climb up to the nightstand and drink from my glass! 🤦🏼‍♂️😻 So I got her her own nightstand and her own glass. 😹