Cat Food Recall Recalled Cat Food Updates

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I think I've found part of the problem the law as it stands now for human foods does not consider salmonella an adulterant. (see below. I was shocked.) Now, if that is the legal attitude for human food, what hope is there for our animals? Time to re-read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and the more modern version Poisoned (see below) give copies to every library and person you can with a note that "THE PAST IS NOT THE PAST" in the front.

Publisher's Platform: Why is it legal to sell meat contaminated with Salmonella | Food Safety News

Poisoned: The True Story of the Deadly E. Coli Outbreak That Changed the Way Americans Eat - Kindle edition by Benedict, Jeff. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Exactly. And while we're all on the subject of cautionary tales, we'd all do well to revisit those two classics, 1984 and FAHRENHEIT 451.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recalls and Alerts sent notice of the following book in their email today. There is a companion volume for human food, but we are interested in pet food. I have not read the book, but I thought you might be interested in it, since it is about how we get some of the warnings we use. NOTE= this is not Susan Thixton, the author is Phyllis Entis, who is "A graduate of McGill University and the University of Toronto, Phyllis Entis received her introduction to the field of food safety at the hands of Canada’s Health Protection Branch, where she spent the first seven years of her professional life immersed in Salmonella, Staphylococcus, E. coli and other bad actors from the microbial world."
About the book - Whether the subject is pentobarbital in canned dog food, aflatoxin in kibble, or Salmonella in commercial raw pet foods, TOXIC provides insight into pet food industry practices and gives pet owners tips to help keep their animal companions safe and healthy.

TOXIC From Factory To Food Bowl
PET FOOD IS A RISKY BUSINESS

Recalls and Alerts: July 29–31, 2023 – eFoodAlert

Amazon has it too.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recalls and Alerts sent notice of the following book in their email today. There is a companion volume for human food, but we are interested in pet food. I have not read the book, but I thought you might be interested in it, since it is about how we get some of the warnings we use. NOTE= this is not Susan Thixton, the author is Phyllis Entis, who is "A graduate of McGill University and the University of Toronto, Phyllis Entis received her introduction to the field of food safety at the hands of Canada’s Health Protection Branch, where she spent the first seven years of her professional life immersed in Salmonella, Staphylococcus, E. coli and other bad actors from the microbial world."
About the book - Whether the subject is pentobarbital in canned dog food, aflatoxin in kibble, or Salmonella in commercial raw pet foods, TOXIC provides insight into pet food industry practices and gives pet owners tips to help keep their animal companions safe and healthy.

TOXIC From Factory To Food Bowl
PET FOOD IS A RISKY BUSINESS

Recalls and Alerts: July 29–31, 2023 – eFoodAlert

Amazon has it too.
I've always said life is a minefield.
Thanks for sharing the link, and for all the good you do for those we love so much.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats, dogs, swine, and equine recall probiotics

Food Supplement and Pet Food Supplement Safety Recall: Ozona Organics, LLC
recalls multiple liquid Ozona Probiotics and GoHealthy Probiotics designed for human and for animal use due to potential to become contaminated with microbial growth. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products.

Ozona Organics Issues Voluntary Recall of Select Liquid Probiotic Products Due to Possible Health Risk | FDA
As always, thanking you for sharing this important info!
A healthy system regulates itself and does not require all of this pop-culture quackery. But I know many do use them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The FDA is cautioning pet owners not to feed the following raw pet foods to their animals, because the agency has found Salmonella in these products. The implicated products which were manufactured by Arrow Reliance, Inc., Tukwila, WA, are: Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs (Lot 9774; manufactured on Jun 13, 2023), Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe for Cats (Lot 9795; manufactured on Jun 28, 2023) and Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe for Cats (Lot 9830; manufactured on Jul 19, 2023). The FDA recommended that the manufacturer voluntarily recall these products and notify the public, but the company has not yet done so.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The FDA is cautioning pet owners not to feed the following raw pet foods to their animals, because the agency has found Salmonella in these products. The implicated products which were manufactured by Arrow Reliance, Inc., Tukwila, WA, are: Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs (Lot 9774; manufactured on Jun 13, 2023), Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe for Cats (Lot 9795; manufactured on Jun 28, 2023) and Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe for Cats (Lot 9830; manufactured on Jul 19, 2023). The FDA recommended that the manufacturer voluntarily recall these products and notify the public, but the company has not yet done so.
Thanking you as always for being vigilant and sharing.
The FDA should do more than "recommend" a recall. :fuming:Sharing to socials, as always, and urging all readers to do so.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As we've posted before there are the cats in Poland who contracted avian flu, but the source has, to my knowledge, not been stated. more cases have occurred in South Korea. Cat dies after eating avian influenza contaminated food | Petfood Industry

There are also a few cases in New York
Rare Bird Flu Strikes Cats: What You Need to Know | Live Science
However they suggest - against excessive concern... "Most people should not be concerned that their cat has influenza," she said. "If your cat has clinical signs of respiratory disease, it is best to contact your veterinarian."

Thixton's concern is that "the USDA allows culled flocks of highly pathogenic avian influenza contaminated birds to be rendered, and the FDA allows the diseased animals to be included in pet food/animal feed – with no warning or disclosure to pet food consumers." However, most commerical cat food comes from rendered meat.
"Rendering should kill the avian influenza pathogen, however just like with other pathogens (such as Salmonella) rendering or cooking of the pet food is not a certain guarantee of safety. Kibble pet foods that include rendered ingredients remain the most commonly recalled style of pet food due to pathogenic bacteria that survived the pet food manufacturing process. "

The symptoms are " Symptoms of infected cats (it is unknown if dog symptoms would be similar) were labored breathing, bloody diarrhea and neurological signs."

Avian Influenza Infected Cat Foods – Truth about Pet Food - Where Thixton questions the FDA's focus on salmonella over avian flu in pet food. I would suspect their focus is because there are more cases of trouble with the salmonella than with the avian flu, but that is only a guess on my part.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I saw that. So sad as I used to feed Darwin’s. This is why I just can’t support a raw diet anymore. To risky.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10 days later and still no official recall from Darwin's, no mention on their company website either, I will never trust this company. My concern is that since it's still a FDA advisory and not "official" recall from the company despite the contamination, many people may not know about it. I get email notifications for any recalls, and Darwin's hasn't been mentioned due to this technicality.

It's so important K Kflowers that you've shared the info to this website.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet food safety concern in the UK, what to watch for.
Salmonella in pet food reports continue to rise in the UK | Food Safety News

I will not be posting these in the near future. However, I've listed the sources I used and they are open to everyone interested. Alerts can be sent to your email.

eFoodAlert – Your one-stop source for food safety information

scroll down on the last one to find past issues and sign up.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet food safety concern in the UK, what to watch for.

I will not be posting these in the near future. However, I've listed the sources I used and they are open to everyone interested. Alerts can be sent to your email.

eFoodAlert – Your one-stop source for food safety information

scroll down on the last one to find past issues and sign up.
Thanking you for all you do for the cats we love, K Kflowers .

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update, please go to the addy and sign up for warnings.

Pet Food Safety Advisory: FDA cautions pet owners not to feed Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Antibiotic & Grain-Free Chicken Recipe for Cats (Lot 9802, manufactured Jul 7, 2023) due to Salmonella contamination.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update, please go to the addy and sign up for warnings.

Pet Food Safety Advisory: FDA cautions pet owners not to feed Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Antibiotic & Grain-Free Chicken Recipe for Cats (Lot 9802, manufactured Jul 7, 2023) due to Salmonella contamination.
Just IMO, feeding anything this company makes would not be an option. They obviously are not caring or responsible, given their past refusal to own up to their past problems.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the Darwin issue, this might be of interest. The first question that always needs to be asked is - Who stands to benefit the most of Darwin's goes out of business?

This situation has gotten very strange in a comparison of when the FDA takes action- Darwin reporting of problems and Blue Buffalo reporting. The numerical difference before they take action might make sense if it's dependent on the size of the company - the amount produced - the number of customers. However, that would certainly limit the usefulness of FDA guidance, wouldn't it?

Who the FDA Investigates and Publicly Shames, and Who They Do Not – Truth about Pet Food

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the Darwin issue, this might be of interest. The first question that always needs to be asked is - Who stands to benefit the most of Darwin's goes out of business?

This situation has gotten very strange in a comparison of when the FDA takes action- Darwin reporting of problems and Blue Buffalo reporting. The numerical difference before they take action might make sense if it's dependent on the size of the company - the amount produced - the number of customers. However, that would certainly limit the usefulness of FDA guidance, wouldn't it?

Who the FDA Investigates and Publicly Shames, and Who They Do Not – Truth about Pet Food
According to an MD friend, the FDA is next to useless in these times. We pays our money and we takes our chances, with ALL of our food supply as well as everything else. The sight and smell tests are hopefully of some value.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the Darwin's issue...
I have been ordering from Hare-Today (Hare-Today.com) for years and have never had any of my pets get sick.
In 2019, I got a series of emails about a recall. The recall was later placed on hold, and then cancelled. The owner shared what information she was able to gather and the findings, I feel, were quite interesting. (Bolded emphasis mine on the third email.)

January 2019 Newsletter (please share to bring awareness)
January 21, 2019
Dear Valued Customers,

I start this newsletter with a heavy but determined heart. As you may know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently targeting Raw Pet Food Manufacturers and Poultry products in particular. This is apparent if you visit the FDA’s website on Raw Pet Food, and I encourage each of you to do so in being informed consumers.

I would also suggest that you view the big picture, from all perspectives, and encourage you to review these additional resources, which I believe, help illustrate the most recent recalls and targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers:

Recalls/Safety Alerts Search

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...9/fda-targets-raw-pet-food-manufacturers.aspx

Just a few weeks before Christmas, we had an unannounced inspection by the FDA. During our inspection ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of Hare Today Gone Tomorrow’s Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs was collected, along with ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of the Ground Rabbit/Bones/Organs.

On December 15th we received our full analysis lab report on our Ground/Chicken/Bones/Organs, and it was reported that Listeria monocytogenes (L. mono) was detected in one (1) of two (2) composites tested and Salmonella was detected in one (1) of one (1) composite tested. No E. Coli detected in ten (10) of ten (10) subs tested. I did not receive any reporting on our Rabbit, but was informed by the FDA that there was no pathogens discovered.

Let it be noted that the Federal Register regarding Salmonella [9 CFR 310.25(b)(1) Docket No. 04-026N] states that the performance standard by the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), USDA (percent positive for Salmonella), which is the Human grade standard for Ground Chicken is 44.6%. This is the baseline standard which guides the testing of Ground Chicken, in this instance. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/c...3d2-a97e-e6c850fd67bc/04-026N.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

This fact points to a misleading standard held by the FDA for commercial Raw Pet Foods, which is a higher standard then what is set by USDA-inspected meats (Human grade). In fact, the FDA’s Industry guidance #122 suggests using USDA and FSIS inspected meat/poultry, passed for human consumption, which we did in the instance of our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs product.

I believe it is important to reference the Federal guidelines which illustrates the baseline standard for Ground Chicken. I agree with the Federal Government taking swift action against products that are unsafe or adulterated, but also that the Federal Government should not take any actions to impose unreasonable regulatory barriers.

It is important to remember that our cats and dogs are carnivores. And as such, they are built to consume raw meats, and they have a much shorter digestive system compared to humans, making them much more tolerant to foodborne pathogens. Of course, it is also important, and part of consumer responsibility, to keep Safe Handling of Raw products a high priority, especially when valuable populations are at hand.

Shortly, I will be issuing our first ever “Voluntary” Recall, which is on our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs which is identified by the processing date of 12.04.2018 on the back of the product bag. More information to follow. I use quotes around “Voluntary” as I feel as though I was bullied into not being able to disclose all facts which included the Federal Register referenced above, and also the additional resources I provided in this newsletter, which point to the targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers by a certified Veterinarian.

The Raw Pet Food industry needs a public outcry and I believe that the FDA should not be imposing stricter barriers on manufacturers. This experience has been an eye opener for me, and I will continue to advocate for Safe Handling of Raw Meats but also Species Appropriate Diets for our fur babies.

Recall ON HOLD Ground Chicken/Bones/Organ Raw Supplemental Pet Food Lot#12.04.2018

January 30, 2019
Ground Chicken/Bones/Organ Raw Supplemental Pet Food Lot#12.04.2018 Recall ON HOLD (but still will honor a full refund if lot# and quantity on hand is emailed to [email protected])

After receiving more information from a very helpful Next Gen PFMA, representative, I have received more education and I am currently requesting more information from the government –

Additional Information:
On December 17th I emailed the FDA a few general questions regarding the edits and changes made by the FDA to my "Voluntary" recall. This was done per request after speaking with a FDA representative directly who has not able to answer my questions. After which the FDA requested a conference call to address my questions with a team of FDA and Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) staff. I was on the line with at least 6 other individuals and quite frankly felt bullied into moving forward with "their" updated recall. After that point, I had decided to remove the Federal Register reference and Additional Resources from our Recall, as suggested by the FDA, which I believe painted the picture from all perspectives, in hopes to not underplay the severity of possible exposure.

Why the HOLD:
After receiving overwhelming support from customers who understand the risks involved in Raw Feeding, but also understanding what is best for our Domesticated Carnivores, (Thank you by the way, after many long hours, I surely needed this), I received many resources and worked long hours last night to become better educated on getting additional information from the government before moving forward with this "Voluntary" Recall.
Everything may not be as it was originally presented by the FDA and most importantly, NO ONE IS SICK.

Again, we will absolutely still honor a full refund if lot# and quantity on hand is emailed to [email protected] and I encourage you to do so if there is any uncertainly. I will though, point back to the article here: https://healthypets.mercola.com/…/fda-targets-raw-pet-food-…

Recall Canceled due to Compromised Product Samples and FDA Announcement

February 8, 2019
Most importantly, I would like to mention that no people or animals are sick due to the alleged product lot #12.04.2018.

Within the FDA announcement they mentioned that "Federal law requires that all pet food not be contaminated with pathogens, including Salmonella and L. mono, because of the potential impact on human and animal health." *Update* After consulting with Next Generation PFMA, it has also been brought to my attention that this is actually not law, only what is considered a non binding compliance policy guide. Pointing again to the FDA's unlawful overreach, and either a misstatement or deliberate lie.

It is also important to mention that according to federal law (21 CFR Part 211) receipt and storage of components must be documented in sufficient detail the receipt, identification, storage, handling, sampling, testing, etc. and such written procedures shall be followed. Components ... shall at all times be handled and stored in a manner to prevent contamination.

Very recently the FDA was successful in shutting down a very reputable company and Rad Cat mentions in their October 8, 2018 blog that “Temperature abuse of raw food samples used for regulatory action is condoned by regulatory agencies and the FDA”. With this knowledge, I asked the FDA for specific information regarding temperature of the product, at time of receipt by the conducting laboratory. Also, I had asked them to provide me the temperature at time of testing. This information was not in the Laboratory report I was provided. At least, not that I had seen, which is why I asked the question. The FDA could not answer my questions and I also noticed that no government seals were on our products when the laboratory received them. This points to the fact that our products were compromised and any results are null and void.

This has been an eye opening experience for me in many regards, and I will continue forward in prayer while advocating for a species appropriate diet for our domesticated carnivores.

What should you do if you received the alleged contaminated product?
As always, I encourage you to follow the safe handling instructions as listed on the back of our product packaging and also to be a well informed consumer regarding raw feeding.

Here is a helpful article: https://healthypets.mercola.com/…/fda-targets-raw-pet-food-…
If you have any uncertainty regarding Hare Today Gone Tomorrow's Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs lot #12.04.2018 and have quantities on hand, we are still honoring a full refund if you choose to dispose of the product. Please email a picture of the product dates along with all quantities to [email protected].