Cat Food Recall Recalled Cat Food Updates

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh I am sorry I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I can’t really edit the post now though. If you or another mod/staff member can edit it go ahead. Take off anything after the link to Purina’s new statement.
No worries. I am glad you didn't mean it to come off that way. Hopefully, members will realize this particular series of posts, about Purina, et al, probably should not be taken too seriously - at least not until more details and proof can be provided.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Viva Raw voluntary recall of one lot of duck.

From the link below:
Here's what we can share:

• The last of the lot was shipped on Dec. 6th, 2023, over 50 days ago
  • Product from this lot was shipped to 1,500+ customers
  • Other than one customer complaint, we have not had any other reach outs related to the lot

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duplication of above

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If true this is very disappointing...will be using "allegedly" a lot in reference to this current situation. Thank you to my True Crime hobby for teaching me how to discuss situations without accusing someone before guilt is proven 🙃

Regardless of the situation that phrasing would be inappropriate.

In the warning letter, the FDA described a May 23 through June 29, 2023, inspection of Reconserve Inc.’s animal food manufacturing facility in Baltimore, MD.

FDA warns pet food producer about improper ingredient storage conditions | Food Safety News
Do we have any information on what brand(s) use this facility? I wonder how to even find that information. Upsetting they have given them so much time and I assume they have continued distributing their products even with these questionable practices.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to the bottom of the page I posted the link to you'll find the click to the full letter from the FDA or you can click below which will take you to the FDA website and the full letter. That is all the information I have at the moment. Please post if you find more.

ReConserve Inc. - 663413 - 01/03/2024 | FDA

Last edited:

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you go to the bottom of the page I posted the link to you'll find the click to the full letter from the FDA or you can click below which will take you to the FDA website and the full letter. That is all the information I have at the moment. Please post if you find more.

ReConserve Inc. - 663413 - 01/03/2024 | FDA
Digging a bit more it seems to be for cow/big animal feed. Makes sense after reading it again because it refers to bakery products being left out in bad conditions. Still important for us in the end because the cows that eat that then end up as meat for human as well as pet consumption.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should let my aunt know about this since my aunt and her family has livestock. My cousin raises live stock for showings at the fair. Not sure what they feed but still couldn’t hurt to warn her.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should let my aunt know about this since my aunt and her family has livestock. My cousin raises live stock for showings at the fair. Not sure what they feed but still couldn’t hurt to warn her.
My mom buys all her own materials to mix her chicken feed (I say chicken feed but now we only have ducks lol they're just nicer and cuter) just to be sure. Even though in some cases she does buy premixed feed but it's always from Azure Standard or someplace similar and gluten free which probably cuts down a lot on them throwing leftover food products in it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet Food Safety Recall: Viva Raw recalls VIVA for cats duck (1 lb; Lot 22853), and VIVA PURE duck PETFOODMIXER (1 lb; Lot 22853) after being advised that the FDA found Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes in a sample of the product.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, she spends money on attending these meetings with the pet food regulators, and testing foods, but since she isn't a company, she really ought to offer all her results for free. I don't know what her other job is, but it ought to cover her costs.

Last edited:

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So forgive me if this has been discussed. This popped up on my feed. I’ve combed through this thread and read some of the things linked here, but I’m not finding any concrete info. My cats eat Purina cat chow. What exactly is the alleged issue with it?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe there is a 2024 recall. I do know that some of the ingredients are not stellar, like by- product meal in some varieties. In general,If it is high up on the list the cat could be eating a lot of bones or other junky parts primarily rather than good meat. Also some may list the food as 'chicken' and on the list is 'liver' but it does not necessarily mean the liver is 'chicken liver'..just liver !. No specifics.
I started reading food labels for myself when I got interested in the video listings of ingredients made by pet nutritionists who encourage consumers to read the list of ingredients as to water, animal(s) used in the food, grains, chemicals , carrageenan and other harmful items as well as the beneficial nutritional additives. Since learning how to read these labels and what is in the cans, I am being careful now as I prepare for my next cat.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So forgive me if this has been discussed. This popped up on my feed. I’ve combed through this thread and read some of the things linked here, but I’m not finding any concrete info. My cats eat Purina cat chow. What exactly is the alleged issue with it?
Pets allegedly becoming seriously ill (nausea, diarrhea, etc) and passing away very suddenly after eating only Purina. There is no concrete evidence to be completely honest, but they haven’t really looked into it either. Considering my local rescue feeds mostly Purina and I have heard nothing about deaths I’m really confused what to think.

I find it interesting that if one wants a current list of 30 healthy cat foods according to the organization, one has to buy it from the site for $10.
just sayin'
I found it odd as well as the fact they mention that Facebook page so often, even so they have released information from AAFCO meetings they attend so sadly this is as close to having an advocate as we’re getting right now. My point of view is anyone doing this kind of list will be getting money in some way for it, it’s either the consumer pays for the research or the pet food companies (which is what leads to paid reviews)

That being said I was a bit disappointed by the list due to the cat side of it having many brands listed only having one protein for cats in raw or even none at all, despite being listed as selling raw cat food. Depending on what you feed (wet, raw or freeze dry raw) and if your cat has dietary restrictions it could be totally useless to you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FDA Warning Letter: FDA issues Warning Letter to Agila Corporation dba Woody’s Pet Food Deli, after a August 29 through September 12, 2023 inspection of the company’s production facility revealed significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice, Hazard Analysis, and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Food for Animals requirements, including the finding of Salmonella Reading and Listeria monocytogenes in an “in process” sample of Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey with Supplements pet food for dogs and cats.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
EPA confirmed registration and “safety” of Seresto collars.

But it appears that this approval may have been based on outdated procedures.