Cat Food Recall Recalled Cat Food Updates

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, this is important to all of us.

I remember in early high school we were given political cartoons with Standard Oil as a giant octopus grabbing all the Federal buildings in DC. Still happening only the names have changed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the Darwin's issue...
I have been ordering from Hare-Today (Hare-Today.com) for years and have never had any of my pets get sick.
In 2019, I got a series of emails about a recall. The recall was later placed on hold, and then cancelled. The owner shared what information she was able to gather and the findings, I feel, were quite interesting. (Bolded emphasis mine on the third email.)

January 2019 Newsletter (please share to bring awareness)
January 21, 2019
Dear Valued Customers,

I start this newsletter with a heavy but determined heart. As you may know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently targeting Raw Pet Food Manufacturers and Poultry products in particular. This is apparent if you visit the FDA’s website on Raw Pet Food, and I encourage each of you to do so in being informed consumers.

I would also suggest that you view the big picture, from all perspectives, and encourage you to review these additional resources, which I believe, help illustrate the most recent recalls and targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers:

Recalls/Safety Alerts Search

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...9/fda-targets-raw-pet-food-manufacturers.aspx

Just a few weeks before Christmas, we had an unannounced inspection by the FDA. During our inspection ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of Hare Today Gone Tomorrow’s Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs was collected, along with ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of the Ground Rabbit/Bones/Organs.

On December 15th we received our full analysis lab report on our Ground/Chicken/Bones/Organs, and it was reported that Listeria monocytogenes (L. mono) was detected in one (1) of two (2) composites tested and Salmonella was detected in one (1) of one (1) composite tested. No E. Coli detected in ten (10) of ten (10) subs tested. I did not receive any reporting on our Rabbit, but was informed by the FDA that there was no pathogens discovered.

Let it be noted that the Federal Register regarding Salmonella [9 CFR 310.25(b)(1) Docket No. 04-026N] states that the performance standard by the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), USDA (percent positive for Salmonella), which is the Human grade standard for Ground Chicken is 44.6%. This is the baseline standard which guides the testing of Ground Chicken, in this instance. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/c...3d2-a97e-e6c850fd67bc/04-026N.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

This fact points to a misleading standard held by the FDA for commercial Raw Pet Foods, which is a higher standard then what is set by USDA-inspected meats (Human grade). In fact, the FDA’s Industry guidance #122 suggests using USDA and FSIS inspected meat/poultry, passed for human consumption, which we did in the instance of our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs product.

I believe it is important to reference the Federal guidelines which illustrates the baseline standard for Ground Chicken. I agree with the Federal Government taking swift action against products that are unsafe or adulterated, but also that the Federal Government should not take any actions to impose unreasonable regulatory barriers.

It is important to remember that our cats and dogs are carnivores. And as such, they are built to consume raw meats, and they have a much shorter digestive system compared to humans, making them much more tolerant to foodborne pathogens. Of course, it is also important, and part of consumer responsibility, to keep Safe Handling of Raw products a high priority, especially when valuable populations are at hand.

Shortly, I will be issuing our first ever “Voluntary” Recall, which is on our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs which is identified by the processing date of 12.04.2018 on the back of the product bag. More information to follow. I use quotes around “Voluntary” as I feel as though I was bullied into not being able to disclose all facts which included the Federal Register referenced above, and also the additional resources I provided in this newsletter, which point to the targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers by a certified Veterinarian.

The Raw Pet Food industry needs a public outcry and I believe that the FDA should not be imposing stricter barriers on manufacturers. This experience has been an eye opener for me, and I will continue to advocate for Safe Handling of Raw Meats but also Species Appropriate Diets for our fur babies.

Recall ON HOLD Ground Chicken/Bones/Organ Raw Supplemental Pet Food Lot#12.04.2018

January 30, 2019
Ground Chicken/Bones/Organ Raw Supplemental Pet Food Lot#12.04.2018 Recall ON HOLD (but still will honor a full refund if lot# and quantity on hand is emailed to [email protected])

After receiving more information from a very helpful Next Gen PFMA, representative, I have received more education and I am currently requesting more information from the government –

Additional Information:
On December 17th I emailed the FDA a few general questions regarding the edits and changes made by the FDA to my "Voluntary" recall. This was done per request after speaking with a FDA representative directly who has not able to answer my questions. After which the FDA requested a conference call to address my questions with a team of FDA and Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) staff. I was on the line with at least 6 other individuals and quite frankly felt bullied into moving forward with "their" updated recall. After that point, I had decided to remove the Federal Register reference and Additional Resources from our Recall, as suggested by the FDA, which I believe painted the picture from all perspectives, in hopes to not underplay the severity of possible exposure.

Why the HOLD:
After receiving overwhelming support from customers who understand the risks involved in Raw Feeding, but also understanding what is best for our Domesticated Carnivores, (Thank you by the way, after many long hours, I surely needed this), I received many resources and worked long hours last night to become better educated on getting additional information from the government before moving forward with this "Voluntary" Recall.
Everything may not be as it was originally presented by the FDA and most importantly, NO ONE IS SICK.

Again, we will absolutely still honor a full refund if lot# and quantity on hand is emailed to [email protected] and I encourage you to do so if there is any uncertainly. I will though, point back to the article here: https://healthypets.mercola.com/…/fda-targets-raw-pet-food-…

Recall Canceled due to Compromised Product Samples and FDA Announcement

February 8, 2019
Most importantly, I would like to mention that no people or animals are sick due to the alleged product lot #12.04.2018.

Within the FDA announcement they mentioned that "Federal law requires that all pet food not be contaminated with pathogens, including Salmonella and L. mono, because of the potential impact on human and animal health." *Update* After consulting with Next Generation PFMA, it has also been brought to my attention that this is actually not law, only what is considered a non binding compliance policy guide. Pointing again to the FDA's unlawful overreach, and either a misstatement or deliberate lie.

It is also important to mention that according to federal law (21 CFR Part 211) receipt and storage of components must be documented in sufficient detail the receipt, identification, storage, handling, sampling, testing, etc. and such written procedures shall be followed. Components ... shall at all times be handled and stored in a manner to prevent contamination.

Very recently the FDA was successful in shutting down a very reputable company and Rad Cat mentions in their October 8, 2018 blog that “Temperature abuse of raw food samples used for regulatory action is condoned by regulatory agencies and the FDA”. With this knowledge, I asked the FDA for specific information regarding temperature of the product, at time of receipt by the conducting laboratory. Also, I had asked them to provide me the temperature at time of testing. This information was not in the Laboratory report I was provided. At least, not that I had seen, which is why I asked the question. The FDA could not answer my questions and I also noticed that no government seals were on our products when the laboratory received them. This points to the fact that our products were compromised and any results are null and void.

This has been an eye opening experience for me in many regards, and I will continue forward in prayer while advocating for a species appropriate diet for our domesticated carnivores.

What should you do if you received the alleged contaminated product?
As always, I encourage you to follow the safe handling instructions as listed on the back of our product packaging and also to be a well informed consumer regarding raw feeding.

Here is a helpful article: https://healthypets.mercola.com/…/fda-targets-raw-pet-food-…
If you have any uncertainty regarding Hare Today Gone Tomorrow's Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs lot #12.04.2018 and have quantities on hand, we are still honoring a full refund if you choose to dispose of the product. Please email a picture of the product dates along with all quantities to [email protected].
Thanks for sharing.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet Food Safety Recall (Finland): Premium Pet Food oy recalls SMAAK Viljaton Kana kissanruoka / SMAAK grain-free chicken cat food (1.5 kg & 7 kg; Best before 19.04.2025) and ALVAR PET VAKAA Kala Viljaton koiranruoka / VAKAA fish grain-free dog food (2 kg, 6 kg and 10 kg; Best before 09.10.2024) due to reports of illnesses in pets that consumed these products. The source of the problem is under investigation in cooperation with the Food Agency.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet Food Safety Recall (Finland): Premium Pet Food oy recalls SMAAK Viljaton Kana kissanruoka / SMAAK grain-free chicken cat food (1.5 kg & 7 kg; Best before 19.04.2025) and ALVAR PET VAKAA Kala Viljaton koiranruoka / VAKAA fish grain-free dog food (2 kg, 6 kg and 10 kg; Best before 09.10.2024) due to reports of illnesses in pets that consumed these products. The source of the problem is under investigation in cooperation with the Food Agency.
Thanking you, as ever, for the life-saving sharing!:)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OUTBREAK INVESTIGATION UPDATE (Finland): Investigators have determined that elevated levels of glycoalkaloid in a single batch of potato flakes used as in ingredient in multiple varieties of dry pet food is the most likely cause of numerous complaints of sick pets.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TFP Nutrition has expanded an earlier recall of dry dog food to include all dry dog, dry cat, and catfish formulas manufactured in their Nacogdoches, Texas, facility.
The expanded recall is due to potential Salmonella contamination.

The following cat food brands were recalled:
  • Country Acres
  • Economax
  • Exclusive Red Flannel
  • Exclusive Signature
  • Feline Medley
  • H-E-B Texas Pets
  • Multi-Cat
  • Meow For More
  • Paws & Claws
  • Star Pro Feline

Multiple kibble brands recalled for Salmonella – eFoodAlert

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TFP Nutrition has expanded an earlier recall of dry dog food to include all dry dog, dry cat, and catfish formulas manufactured in their Nacogdoches, Texas, facility.
The expanded recall is due to potential Salmonella contamination.

The following cat food brands were recalled:
  • Country Acres
  • Economax
  • Exclusive Red Flannel
  • Exclusive Signature
  • Feline Medley
  • H-E-B Texas Pets
  • Multi-Cat
  • Meow For More
  • Paws & Claws
  • Star Pro Feline

Multiple kibble brands recalled for Salmonella – eFoodAlert
Thanking you always. This country needs to get with the program and protect our food supply. This is unconscionable.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Lindsay Farm HB Ltd recalls Lindsay Farm brand Organic Raw Milk (unpasteurised) (2 L; Lots 2310, 2410, 2510, 2610, 2710, 2810, 2910, 3010, 3110, 0111, 0211; Use by 27.10.23, 28.10.23, 29.10.23, 30.10.23, 31.10.23, 01.11.23, 02.11.23, 03.11.23, 04.11.23, 05.11.23) due to possible Campylobacter contamination.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
American Distribution and Manufacturing Co., LLC
Cottage Grove, MN

An import company in Minnesota is on notice from the FDA for not having FSVPs for a number of imported food products.
The firm did not develop, maintain, and follow an FSVP. Specifically, they did not develop an FSVP for each of the following foods:

• Dry kibble cat food (poultry flavor) imported from (redacted), located in (redacted)
  • Dry kibble dog food (lamb/venison flavor) imported from (redacted), located in (redacted)
  • (Redacted) feed additive (diatomaceous earth feed additive) imported from (redacted), located in (redacted)
FDA sends warning over import violations to food firm in New York and pet food firm in Minnesota | Food Safety News

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you agin, for being so diligent..
It is a shame the name brands are. "redacted". So strange we cannot know the names of the brands, but we know the name of the main company.. dam...

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lea Way Farms, Inc., doing business as Blue Ridge Beef, today (December 21, 2023) announced a recall of three raw pet food products after the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services found both Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes in one lot of each of those products.

The recall covers the following items:
  • Kitten Grind, 2-lb tube:- All lot codes & Use-by dates from N24 1124 to N24 1224; UPC 8 54298 00101 6
  • Kitten Mix, 2-lb tube:- All lot codes & Use-by dates from N24 1124 to N24 1224; UPC 8 54298 00243 6
  • Puppy Mix, 2-lb tube:- All lot codes & Use-by dates from N24 1124 to N24 1224; UPC 8 54298 00169 6
Raw pet food recalled for Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes – eFoodAlert