Raw Kitty Vomit, Then Doing Fine With Canned?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Edwina :hearthrob::redheartpump: those white paws! Such a elegant kitty!

My Russian text book had little "skit" in the beginning of each chapter. муж, always mistreated by жена (she goes to Paris with their dog vs. he stays home alone for example), and very last sentence was always "Cкажите пожалуйста дорогая собака, почему xxxxx ?!" I can still say this one, cannot write without google though :p

I've separated 16oz pork food to 4oz jar but did not have courage to try yet... I do have 1lb HT duck, maybe make duck+chicken food first (gotta get that Open Nature chicken :D ). And even I feel buying food is such a headache, I'd better have some back up plan in case I cannot make their food for a while ... plus when I travel (they eat 50/50 raw and canned when I am not around).

Thank you very much for all your encouragement and spending time writing for me! :heartshape:

Here is Pila, reading chapter on Feline diabetes from Dr. Hodgkins's "Your Cat".
View attachment 275094
Pila is quite a reader! I wish I could get our cats to read up on feline health, too! :lol: Pila's face reminds me of Ireland's, in a different color scheme. And Edwina says thank you for the compliment about her beautiful paws. :p

I know what you mean about making extra food for travel times and all that... I just bought more little containers for food since I'm now making and freezing more food -- two meals a day now, so I have some work to do to get stocked up for when I travel, too!

Now, the important thing: that Russian textbook! It's so weird how Russian textbooks all seem to have skits and dialogues like that. I used to teach Russian and OMG, just about every book had something strange about it. The one I learned with was very Soviet and had us speaking like bureaucrats from Day One. (This has come in seriously handy for translation, though!) And then there was a book I loved to read (though never taught) where some guy liked to show people photos of his cement mixer. Oh, how surprised some Russians have been to learn that I know the word for cement mixer. (It's бетономешалка and I will never forget it!! :flail:)

On that happy note, have a great evening with your cats!:catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pila is quite a reader! I wish I could get our cats to read up on feline health, too! :lol: Pila's face reminds me of Ireland's, in a different color scheme. And Edwina says thank you for the compliment about her beautiful paws. :p

I know what you mean about making extra food for travel times and all that... I just bought more little containers for food since I'm now making and freezing more food -- two meals a day now, so I have some work to do to get stocked up for when I travel, too!

Now, the important thing: that Russian textbook! It's so weird how Russian textbooks all seem to have skits and dialogues like that. I used to teach Russian and OMG, just about every book had something strange about it. The one I learned with was very Soviet and had us speaking like bureaucrats from Day One. (This has come in seriously handy for translation, though!) And then there was a book I loved to read (though never taught) where some guy liked to show people photos of his cement mixer. Oh, how surprised some Russians have been to learn that I know the word for cement mixer. (It's бетономешалка and I will never forget it!! :flail:)

On that happy note, have a great evening with your cats!:catrub:
Cement mixer and bureaucrats Russian :flail: Language always fascinates me ... different language and culture makes your life more colorful :rbheart:

I made HT Duck and WH Chicken (missed Open nature sale at Jewel Osco :doh: WH was $1 cheaper,) food today, kitties tried half portion. So far so good :clapcat: Pila is not a duck fun but ate it, no barf in 1 hour. After duck meal, Saf was taking nap, Mama was busy on catsite :compsurfing:, Pila got bored and decided to attack :devilish: Saf ...

I have question - what are Ireland and Edwina's favorite canned food? Mine does not like Pate, and our usual has been Tiki Koolina Luau, Weruva Paw's licking chicken, Nine livers, Cats in the kitchen Golden Lox and Foul Bowl. Seems like they no longer like Foul Bowl (too much gel?). I tried Rawz (both Pate and Chicken shred) , they liked shred one, but I don't see much benefit adding it. Everything I buy is ... so similar :confused: They ate Raws Pate, but not really excited. We tried Miko in January and since then Pila decided she prefer Miko over Tiki and don't want Tiki anymore.

With this experience I seemed to re-discover joy of making food for others. I used to like cooking and baking a lot, but "being obligated" took out all joy. Nowadays I've only been cooking for myself and it's not so ... fun. Now I make food :fear:and see :caticon::caticon: gnawing and liking it, it makes me so happy :clap2:

Have a nice relaxed weekend with your cuties!!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cement mixer and bureaucrats Russian :flail: Language always fascinates me ... different language and culture makes your life more colorful :rbheart:

I made HT Duck and WH Chicken (missed Open nature sale at Jewel Osco :doh: WH was $1 cheaper,) food today, kitties tried half portion. So far so good :clapcat: Pila is not a duck fun but ate it, no barf in 1 hour. After duck meal, Saf was taking nap, Mama was busy on catsite :compsurfing:, Pila got bored and decided to attack :devilish: Saf ...

I have question - what are Ireland and Edwina's favorite canned food? Mine does not like Pate, and our usual has been Tiki Koolina Luau, Weruva Paw's licking chicken, Nine livers, Cats in the kitchen Golden Lox and Foul Bowl. Seems like they no longer like Foul Bowl (too much gel?). I tried Rawz (both Pate and Chicken shred) , they liked shred one, but I don't see much benefit adding it. Everything I buy is ... so similar :confused: They ate Raws Pate, but not really excited. We tried Miko in January and since then Pila decided she prefer Miko over Tiki and don't want Tiki anymore.

With this experience I seemed to re-discover joy of making food for others. I used to like cooking and baking a lot, but "being obligated" took out all joy. Nowadays I've only been cooking for myself and it's not so ... fun. Now I make food :fear:and see :caticon::caticon: gnawing and liking it, it makes me so happy :clap2:

Have a nice relaxed weekend with your cuties!!
So true about languages... and, as we know, speaking cat can be especially useful! :p

Glad to hear PIla ate and didn't barf after the duck meal. But oh, that attack, that is just like Ireland. If Edwina's peacefully sleeping something, woe be to Edwina! Ireland will often start off nicely, washing Edwina's face or ears but then (usually) she starts getting overzealous and gets rough, hisses, and then a confrontation ensues, causing Edwina retreat. Ireland is ridiculously sweet most of the time but then... :devilcat2:

Canned food is not an easy topic around here. These cats used to prefer shreds, too, but fortunately they've been converted to more pates. They're also not really that into Rawz, though they initially loved it. Their current favorites are all pates: BFF's new Play series, Wellness Core (kitten food and the duck/turkey), Fancy Feast Classics (a few that don't have nitrites), Sheba pates, certain Nutro Natural Choice foods (chunky chicken is good and Ireland loves minced chicken but the carbs are too high!), some of the Cats in the Kitchen you mentioned, plus an odd assortment of shreds from Soulistic and Weruva that I don't like to feed because they have goopy tapioca "gravy." Feline Natural is also on the menu but I think the price is going up (it was already too much!) and Fromm as well, though they've been "meh" on that lately, too. Each of those foods has something about it I don't like (gums, tapioca/carbs, menadione, price tag for quality, etc.) but they only get the equivalent of one small can a day, that they split, so at least it spreads out the things I don't feel good about. They used to love Tiki but then the recipe changed.
Fortunately, there is that homemade food of which you speak! :sunshine:The cats love it, I feel good about feeding it, and, yes, it's satisfying in a way that feeding us humans is not. (Would my husband be happier eating frozen food from Trader Joe's all the time? It's quite possible, particularly now that I've cut back on our meat intake! :) to that!) The best thing about homemade is that Ireland loves it so much and cleans her plate. That, alone, is worth a lot because I was sending so much time and energy trying to entice her to eat.

Here's to a happy rest of your Sunday! :catrub:

P.S. One shred food that they really like is Weruva's Quick 'n Quirky, which is another that's overgummed and overpriced... but that I buy because they love it and dependably finish it. (I just fed them some QnQ leftovers along with a small serving from one of our last Rad Cat tubs!) I need to sort through all this food mess when I get home from my next travel: I'd really love to find a less bony commercial raw option and/or another supplement. *sigh*

Last edited:

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:thanks: for Ireland and Edwina's canned info! Like you said shredded/minced stuff is always too carby and only exception I'm seeing are Tiki and Miko ... maybe I will try, with full expectation of throwing away, one 3oz pate in every two days or so to see if they will start eating. After reading your list, Fromm looks pretty good (love short ingredients list!). Feline natural is expensive :eek3: Definitely cheaper buying meat! We did tried Quick 'n Quirky in the past but it wasn't big hit in here. And again, not much meat in that 3oz can :confused: I forgot to write, Pila liked Tiki's after dark Chicken and Quail egg but for me, it was bit stinky. We still have +20 canned Koolina Luau so tried again, Pila said No :angrycat:

This morning I made EZ complete sample with Chicken and Saf said No :angrycat:
It has distinct smell, I guess :caticon::caticon: need some adjustment time if I continue to use it (maybe not, bit pricey). Pila needed hand fed but ate it. I am thinking about maybe adding Alnutrin food just for sake of variety? Not sure yet ...

Happy Ireland eating Mama's food :dancingblackcat: is she the one who cannot eat potato and pea? It's funny when I was not quite educated Mama and kitties were eating Natural balance pouch food (carby!), Pila loved pea, potato, pumpkin etc, picked them and left meat! (maybe because those all starts with P? :redtongue:)

I see many people having trouble finding Rad cat replacement... since Ireland and Edwina are happy with home cooked, isn't that enough? Or do you see benefit of increasing raw? Well with their sensitive tummy raw is supposedly easiest to digest, I guess ...

I feel like homemade (raw or cooked) is much easier in terms of kitty-acceptance rate. Like your Tiki example (and I see a lot people talking about Fancy feast) commercial food recipe changes and kitty stop eating. Or discontinued favorite food. I am lucky to have time to make own food (many people cannot even cook for human!) but ... I need some back up plan :headscratch:

Time to go back to work :compsurfing: Have a good day !!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, EZ Complete has a very distinct smell! I can't say I like it much myself but the cats really love the food. They also were very skeptical about it when I first fed it to them. Circled dish. Backed off. Walked away. Returned. Then ate it all. You know how that goes! Alnutrin, on the other hand, has no real smell. The cats love that, too. (And Alnutrin will send you a free sample. ;)) The big downside to the Alnutrin is adding the liver. :eek: Have you tried feeding Pila and Saf more EZ food since your last post? (It gets really mushy, from the enzymes, if sits in the refrigerator for long so I suspect you probably have!)

It's Edwina that gacks from potatoes. And I'm not sure if anybody would barf from peas, too, but I know they don't like them -- when Merrick LID added peas, the cats decided they didn't like it. (It took me a couple cans to figure out something had gone wrong! I could see that it looked a little different but foods can be so inconsistent that I didn't think much of it.)

Yes, I definitely want to keep the cats eating some raw food. For one thing, variety is all for them. For another, like you said, raw food is good for their little stomachs. Plus there's always that what if. Like what if a supplement went away? Or what if a lot of their canned foods went away? We've already had so many similar problems -- Rad Cat being the worst! -- that I always feel like I have to be a few steps ahead!

Oh and on Fromm: it's the chicken/duck that we feed. Many (maybe even most?) of the others have some sort of grains. And yes, Feline Natural is way too expensive! The cats like it pretty well but it's very pricey.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2nd time both Pila and Saf approved EZ :kneading: Saf went back to her pork recipe and Pila finished remaining EZ by lunch today. I will request Alnutrin samples ... thanks! These two has more stuff than I add based on Dr.P recipe, and I try to believe we should be good with Dr.P recipe, still, sometimes think maybe better add something else ... :confused2:

When Rad Cat went out business it was "fire on the the other side of a river" for me, but Hare Today recall news gave me a slight panic :paranoid: ... I tend to look for bright side from everything, this time I am getting used to buying meat from store, I might even consider getting little meat grinder (my food is usually 1/3 grind and 2/3 chunk) :rolleyes: Not quite there yet, we'll see!

Adding pea in cat food is so annoying. And why so much flaxseed in everywhere?? :stars:

I do remember looking at Fromm can at store but didn't try yet. We'll try chicken/duck. Thanks! Yes I saw their recipe is nice and short, but has strange stuff like pearl barley. Sounds good for people food but not for :caticon::caticon:

I bought "Never Any!" chicken from Aldi yesterday thinking about experimenting cooked food. I think I will go really slow re-introducing pork and rabbit to Pila. Maybe it's nothing to do with protein, still. Don't want to stress out both P:caticon: and myself! No more :barf: please!!

Oh with my latest Chicken batch, I tried using freeze dried liver for the first time instead of fresh one. I might stick with this, it's easier!

Hope you will find good raw food for kitties very soon! Have a nice evening with :silver: :bicolorcat: !!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2nd time both Pila and Saf approved EZ :kneading: Saf went back to her pork recipe and Pila finished remaining EZ by lunch today. I will request Alnutrin samples ... thanks! These two has more stuff than I add based on Dr.P recipe, and I try to believe we should be good with Dr.P recipe, still, sometimes think maybe better add something else ... :confused2:

When Rad Cat went out business it was "fire on the the other side of a river" for me, but Hare Today recall news gave me a slight panic :paranoid: ... I tend to look for bright side from everything, this time I am getting used to buying meat from store, I might even consider getting little meat grinder (my food is usually 1/3 grind and 2/3 chunk) :rolleyes: Not quite there yet, we'll see!

Adding pea in cat food is so annoying. And why so much flaxseed in everywhere?? :stars:

I do remember looking at Fromm can at store but didn't try yet. We'll try chicken/duck. Thanks! Yes I saw their recipe is nice and short, but has strange stuff like pearl barley. Sounds good for people food but not for :caticon::caticon:

I bought "Never Any!" chicken from Aldi yesterday thinking about experimenting cooked food. I think I will go really slow re-introducing pork and rabbit to Pila. Maybe it's nothing to do with protein, still. Don't want to stress out both P:caticon: and myself! No more :barf: please!!

Oh with my latest Chicken batch, I tried using freeze dried liver for the first time instead of fresh one. I might stick with this, it's easier!

Hope you will find good raw food for kitties very soon! Have a nice evening with :silver: :bicolorcat: !!
I'm glad to hear that EZ Completely, the Sequel, went over well! :lol: And yes, I'm of the "best to add something else" mindset because our cats get bored with their food so easily. (Will they continue to love Alnutrin and EZ? I sure hope so! :crossfingers: ) Hence my never-ending (and fruitless!) searches for new foods of all types, commercial raw, supplements for homemade cooked, and even canned.

I wish I had an answer about flax seeds! I'm sure that about a zillion companies have statements saying something like "it supports X health" (x=urinary, heart, or some other bodily function) but without any proof. They claim that about cranberries, too, and I have a hard time with that one. I just try to keep all those ingredients to a minimum in the cats' diet, which is a big reason why I like feeding them two large daily homemade meals now! And never any barley! :p

That's good to hear about the freeze-dried liver. Chicken liver is very cheap ($1.70 a pound at grocery store and a pound of meat only takes about a half ounce of liver) but so gross to handle. I have plenty in the freezer right now so we'll see what mood I'll be in when that runs out!

Edwina barfed yesterday: no fur, no obvious reason, but the cats were ridiculously wound up yesterday :devilcat2: (oh, look, it's Devil Cat again!) and when she gets wound up, her stomach gets nervous, particularly just before a mealtime, and she barfs. She's also been nervous in general because Ireland has consistently been finishing her own meals so there's nothing (and I do mean nothing) for Edwina to scavenge from Edwina's plate. Edwina had gone two weeks or more without :barf:(I know you like that one!) so this was disappointing, though at least there seems to be a behavioral explanation. I'm hoping she'll get used to Ireland's normal eating soon! And relax.

Anyway, here's to a good workday for you, Pila, and Saf! :caticon::caticon: I hope they're eating well, too, and not barfing!

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that EZ Completely, the Sequel, went over well! :lol: And yes, I'm of the "best to add something else" mindset because our cats get bored with their food so easily. (Will they continue to love Alnutrin and EZ? I sure hope so! :crossfingers: ) Hence my never-ending (and fruitless!) searches for new foods of all types, commercial raw, supplements for homemade cooked, and even canned.

I wish I had an answer about flax seeds! I'm sure that about a zillion companies have statements saying something like "it supports X health" (x=urinary, heart, or some other bodily function) but without any proof. They claim that about cranberries, too, and I have a hard time with that one. I just try to keep all those ingredients to a minimum in the cats' diet, which is a big reason why I like feeding them two large daily homemade meals now! And never any barley! :p

That's good to hear about the freeze-dried liver. Chicken liver is very cheap ($1.70 a pound at grocery store and a pound of meat only takes about a half ounce of liver) but so gross to handle. I have plenty in the freezer right now so we'll see what mood I'll be in when that runs out!

Edwina barfed yesterday: no fur, no obvious reason, but the cats were ridiculously wound up yesterday :devilcat2: (oh, look, it's Devil Cat again!) and when she gets wound up, her stomach gets nervous, particularly just before a mealtime, and she barfs. She's also been nervous in general because Ireland has consistently been finishing her own meals so there's nothing (and I do mean nothing) for Edwina to scavenge from Edwina's plate. Edwina had gone two weeks or more without :barf:(I know you like that one!) so this was disappointing, though at least there seems to be a behavioral explanation. I'm hoping she'll get used to Ireland's normal eating soon! And relax.

Anyway, here's to a good workday for you, Pila, and Saf! :caticon::caticon: I hope they're eating well, too, and not barfing!
Oh so sorry to hear about Edwina :petcat: How is she doing today? One good news (Ireland cleaning up her plate) and one bad news (Edwina :barf:)... So Edwina is in charge of cleaning up both plate? Saf is in charge in here. She finishes eating, very patiently wait in front of her spotless clean bowl, when Pila walks away go check Pila's bowl just in case if there is anything left! In our normal situation Pila cleans her bowl too, but lately she leaves little food time to time, then here comes Saf, lick lick, leaves two purrrfecly clean bowls.

I hope Edwina's feeling settles down very soon :vibes::vibes::vibes:

I made cooked chicken food yesterday and ... that was a HIT :clapcat: Clean bowls!

I think EZ gave Pila a soft stinky output but that was just because something different from usual.

Another cat news is bad chin acne on Pila :eek2: It doesn't seem bother her (I can touch and clean). She is not behaving itchy. I will keep close eye on, clean after every meal, and if it does not improve go vet :cringe: ... hoping that frequent cleaning will help :crossfingers:

Wishing both of us are happy barf-less :barf: weekend!!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear your cooked chicken food went over well -- clean bowls are always a good thing! :) I thought of you yesterday when I went to the air-chilled chicken store (Shaw's) and bought buy-on-get-one-free boneless pork ribs (upon arrival home, husband immediately asked why they weren't for him -- I reminded him he's an omnivore :lol:) plus, of course, a big package of air-chilled chicken. I need to stockpile some food so a big hurray for all the meat.

I hope Pila and Saf keep cleaning those bowls. And that Pila's output returns to a better-smelling normal. It's funny (sort of) how even a small smell smells really smelly in cats on raw/homemade diets like our cats'. Someone put something a little smelly in our boxes and it was so noticeable. But nothing (nothing at all!) like what our previous cat used to leave. :eek: We really didn't know how to feed cats then.

So far, no more barf. (She knocks wood and goes tfu-tfu-tfu over left shoulder!) I think Edwina was just very wound up the other day. The cats get so nervous sometimes over little things -- strong wind, snow, birds out the window, changes in eating schedule, a cough, the list is huge! -- and that's something I really have to keep that in mind when things go wrong.

I'm sorry to hear about Saf's bad chin acne. It's good, though, that she lets you clean it but yes, that can be a sign of food issues, too. (Like just about everything else!!) Has she had it before? Is there any big food change (hmm, EZ Complete? I hope it's not that!) that went along with it? Or plastic dishes?

The big thing, though, is yes, :crossfingers::crossfingers: for no barfing -- in your household or mine! -- this weekend! I hope you have a nice and restful weekend and don't have to work! :D

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear your cooked chicken food went over well -- clean bowls are always a good thing! :) I thought of you yesterday when I went to the air-chilled chicken store (Shaw's) and bought buy-on-get-one-free boneless pork ribs (upon arrival home, husband immediately asked why they weren't for him -- I reminded him he's an omnivore :lol:) plus, of course, a big package of air-chilled chicken. I need to stockpile some food so a big hurray for all the meat.

I hope Pila and Saf keep cleaning those bowls. And that Pila's output returns to a better-smelling normal. It's funny (sort of) how even a small smell smells really smelly in cats on raw/homemade diets like our cats'. Someone put something a little smelly in our boxes and it was so noticeable. But nothing (nothing at all!) like what our previous cat used to leave. :eek: We really didn't know how to feed cats then.

So far, no more barf. (She knocks wood and goes tfu-tfu-tfu over left shoulder!) I think Edwina was just very wound up the other day. The cats get so nervous sometimes over little things -- strong wind, snow, birds out the window, changes in eating schedule, a cough, the list is huge! -- and that's something I really have to keep that in mind when things go wrong.

I'm sorry to hear about Saf's bad chin acne. It's good, though, that she lets you clean it but yes, that can be a sign of food issues, too. (Like just about everything else!!) Has she had it before? Is there any big food change (hmm, EZ Complete? I hope it's not that!) that went along with it? Or plastic dishes?

The big thing, though, is yes, :crossfingers::crossfingers: for no barfing -- in your household or mine! -- this weekend! I hope you have a nice and restful weekend and don't have to work! :D
I went to check out Mariano yesterday which is another store close to my place. Lots of meat!! However I am not finding pork without added sodium, at least the one with label on. I think when I am ready to buy pork I will start talking to Whole Foods ... :agree:

Glad to hear that Edwina is feeling better! I've read that people with childhood trauma or poverty have more health issue later on even they become wealthy and successful. Your kitties had difficult childhood must be quite delicate :petcat:Mine were abandoned at gas station, somebody rescued then listed on Craigslist :caticon::caticon: + :caticon: (another kitty went to another home), fortunately turnaround was pretty quick and came to me at 4-5 weeks, so I think they don't have too much bad memories ...

No barf and good appetite in here :dancingblackcat:but ... Saf is always prone to chin acne, mild one. This time the one Pila got is patch of fur missing :( I found it on 27th or 28th, keep chasing her with chamomile teabags, don't think it is getting worse, but not better. Their bowls are ceramic or glass.

I am still debating - almost decided to go vet tomorrow. People in this house is pretty zero-medicine and chemical free, afraid to go vet and start loading antibiotics :fear:still ... at least I can verify if (1) it is really chin acne or something else?, (2) infected or no?.

I too hope that was not from EZ :headscratch: she had EZ on 25th and 26th, then stinky :poop: on 27th early morning. Other things she had on those days were Raw Duck + Chicken, Rawz Turkey (a little), both she had before. Egg on EZ? But her Tiki has egg in in :headscratch:

Well I think better not overthink and go little :walk:! Have a restful and :barf:-less rest of weekend! Maybe Ireland and Edwina are willing to give Daddy a little bite of pork rib ;)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been crazy-busy around here of late so not much Cat Site time but I wanted to check on Pila and Saf! What did the vet say about Saf's chin acne? And how are they doing with the new food? I hope the stinkiness didn't come back and there there are no :barf:s. Not overthinking is such a good strategy -- I think you have that totally covered!

No pork rib for humans here (the second package is almost exactly a pound, just perfect for Alnutrin, ha!) and no barfs from cats, either. (Phew!) They're even mostly behaving, though Ireland has been her bellicose self, on the attack. Do your cats ever growl?! She does.

And on a more serious note, I do wonder if there's something to the link between kittenhood trauma and health issues: I really do think some (if not a lot) of Edwina's :barf:problems are from her nervousness about food. Meaning that she worries that she won't get fed and it upsets her stomach. She's very relaxed about everything else, including Ireland's attacks (which aren't that bad, a lot like Pila and Saf's fight/play) but I don't think she'll ever get over the food insecurity.

I hope you, Pila, and Saf are having a good week! :petcat:

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been crazy-busy around here of late so not much Cat Site time but I wanted to check on Pila and Saf! What did the vet say about Saf's chin acne? And how are they doing with the new food? I hope the stinkiness didn't come back and there there are no :barf:s. Not overthinking is such a good strategy -- I think you have that totally covered!

No pork rib for humans here (the second package is almost exactly a pound, just perfect for Alnutrin, ha!) and no barfs from cats, either. (Phew!) They're even mostly behaving, though Ireland has been her bellicose self, on the attack. Do your cats ever growl?! She does.

And on a more serious note, I do wonder if there's something to the link between kittenhood trauma and health issues: I really do think some (if not a lot) of Edwina's :barf:problems are from her nervousness about food. Meaning that she worries that she won't get fed and it upsets her stomach. She's very relaxed about everything else, including Ireland's attacks (which aren't that bad, a lot like Pila and Saf's fight/play) but I don't think she'll ever get over the food insecurity.

I hope you, Pila, and Saf are having a good week! :petcat:
Thank you very much for thinking of us :happycat:

Almost full month without :barf: I was going to write ... but we had small :barf:last night :confused: I am not too concerned about this one though. Saf came in the middle of night saying she needed a little bite. I woke up and gave :caticon::caticon: two pieces of freeze dried salmon. Within 5 min or so Pila barfed. I think that was something like she inhaled it and tickled her system. She gave me this look "ugh, I lost my food!", so I warmed up raw and they ate, no barf, went fine.

I ended up deciding not to go vet. Pila obviously is in good mood these days, and fur-less spot does not look bad. One corner still has scratch, but otherwise it just - no fur. I switched to wipe with diluted povidone-iodine after watching "how to treat Chin acne" video maybe +5 times. Blackheads look all gone now. I am going to try manuka honey soon (my closest WF didn't carry higher grade one) ... of course if she starts showing any itch or pain, dash to vet :runningcat:

Glad to hear that Edwina is taking it easy not :barf:!! In our case Pila (alpha) never hiss, growl, scream, anything. She just quietly approach Saf folding her ears back, making mean face. Saf on the other hand is LOUD! Hissing, growing, screaming, all of these! When Saf defeated and need to release her anger, she attack me! I guess in our household, Pila:caticon: is alpha, Saf:caticon: is Beta, and Mama:catman: is Gamma.

I will continue Chicken couple of more weeks, then try Pork and Rabbit again with Pila. I thought raw is the best and panicked :runaround:when she barfed it, but if she was not feeling well for some other reason (stress, kitty flu, anything), raw has more bacteria than cooked food. Cats are designed to handle it but if sick it might caused issue... now I write it makes sense, but it took quite a while to come to this thought! I feel like I have a game plan now. Plus next checkup around April :agree:

Thank you very much for going through all of these with us :caticon::caticon::catman:. I wish you and kitties a nice relaxed weekend after one more working day!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Pila's little barf! Our cats were all doing so well! Odd but these cats of ours are totally in sync: someone :barf:here early today, a real hairball. In the lobby of the(ir cat) condo, ick! That's usually Edwina's trick but we suspect Ireland because she seems unhappy. What surprises me most here is that there was so much fur despite our brushing them pretty regularly. j

I'm so glad to hear the chin acne seems better, that stuff is so weird!

That's a great account of feline aggression! :devilish: How funny that Pila is the silent type (it's so funny when they put the ears back like that!) and Saf is the loud one. One of the funniest things our cats do is bat and bite at each others' butts. They both do it: sometimes they do it when they're runnign down the hall together, sometimes one will be sitting and then bat the other's butt when she walks by, etc., etc., etc. There are many variations! Occasionally, though, it does turn into a brawl.

Getting back to food, though, yes, like I said way back, with these two cats, I tend to look at causes other than food for barfing. They snarfle up weird stuff from the floor, lick sinks, ingest fur, and get nervous. Among other things!

I'm not sure my weekend will be very relaxed (travel starts on Sunday! Cat Dad is ready for Cat Catering duties! Cat Mom must pack and get ready! Including making more cat food!) but I am looking forward to seeing friends and colleagues :hearthrob::redheartpump: and being away from my desk and computer so none of this :compsurfing: for a few days! I hope you have a truly relaxed weekend after this workday and that Pila holds back on the barfing! :wink: Be good, kitties! :lovecat4:

P.S. Ha, that beta Edwina was just chasing that alpha Ireland, trying to break the stereotypes! :p

Last edited:

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Pila's little barf! Our cats were all doing so well! Odd but these cats of ours are totally in sync: someone :barf:here early today, a real hairball. In the lobby of the(ir cat) condo, ick! That's usually Edwina's trick but we suspect Ireland because she seems unhappy. What surprises me most here is that there was so much fur despite our brushing them pretty regularly. j

I'm so glad to hear the chin acne seems better, that stuff is so weird!

That's a great account of feline aggression! :devilish: How funny that Pila is the silent type (it's so funny when they put the ears back like that!) and Saf is the loud one. One of the funniest things our cats do is bat and bite at each others' butts. They both do it: sometimes they do it when they're runnign down the hall together, sometimes one will be sitting and then bat the other's butt when she walks by, etc., etc., etc. There are many variations! Occasionally, though, it does turn into a brawl.

Getting back to food, though, yes, like I said way back, with these two cats, I tend to look at causes other than food for barfing. They snarfle up weird stuff from the floor, lick sinks, ingest fur, and get nervous. Among other things!

I'm not sure my weekend will be very relaxed (travel starts on Sunday! Cat Dad is ready for Cat Catering duties! Cat Mom must pack and get ready! Including making more cat food!) but I am looking forward to seeing friends and colleagues :hearthrob::redheartpump: and being away from my desk and computer so none of this :compsurfing: for a few days! I hope you have a truly relaxed weekend after this workday and that Pila holds back on the barfing! :wink: Be good, kitties! :lovecat4:

P.S. Ha, that beta Edwina was just chasing that alpha Ireland, trying to break the stereotypes! :p
"bat and bite at each others' butts" :crackup: that's sounds awfully cute! Do you have video of them?

I guess you've made all the food and off to travel by now. Enjoy your time with friends and colleagues! It's nice to be with :caticon::caticon: working from home but ... sometimes getting out and meeting real people is necessary. Otherwise I become more and more :catman:!

Spring is coming, shedding season, lots and lots of fur ... I often wonder how wild cats manage hairballs. I guess lions don't have much fur, but like ... snow leopard? Their coat look quite thick. Sorry to hear that Ireland had one :barf: ...

So far quiet weekend in here. Kitties have great appetite (everybody in this household is food oriented). Pila's fur is not yet growing back but that is expected. I went to local store for people-food shopping on Friday, casually glancing meat section where I've never paid attention before and ... found :sheep: head! Oh my, he was looking at me :fear:

Have a safe trip to you! Edwina and Ireland - be good kitties !!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope your kitties are doing well, CHIKITTIES! Home tomorrow after a few days of jetlagged book fun that has included much sharing of cat photos (no joke, constant cat picture showing, translators all seem to have cats!).

Oh, the lamb head, yikes!

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi lisahe lisahe

Welcome home! Hope you had good night sleep and recovering from jet lag. How were Ireland and Edwina? Being good kitties and not making difficulty with Daddy?

We are stable in terms of :barf:... thank goodness .... but chin acne is getting worse :( Vet coming on Thursday morning. I bought cute lion shaped cone from Chewy, just arrived, but both Pila and Saf acted mad :angrycat::angrycat: I don't think I have enough will power to put it on again. They danced on floor rolling, jumping, tried to get rid of it. Especially Pila, she never even tolerate normal kitty collar in her entire life ...

Oh yes, I tried on Saf too, because she now has scratches in front of ear / above eyes. Sometimes they make little scratch on that area, so I initially didn't worry much, but then she made scratch on both side and made me worried.

I decided to omit egg from their food. I was not using egg on their raw, first time added when I made cooked food (first time buying egg in decades! Spend good 5 minus in front of eggs at Whole Foods reading various icons!). I cannot think of any other changes in their food ... oh, yes another difference is dry vs. fresh liver (but both Chicken liver). Now that Saf made scratch, it could be environmental? I did deep clean their box just in case. Hmm :headscratch: other than that, I bought some daffodils last week? But that was AFTER I found chin acne. Hmm.

Now that I have bit more freezer space I am getting ready to place another Hare Today order. This time only Chicken and Turkey, maybe 1 or 2 lb of Duck. :compsurfing: I still have 4lb or so rabbit and pork ...

Well I am sure kitties are chasing you everywhere you go for next couple of days, make sure Mama will not get lost again. Happy :clover: and enjoy your time with kitties!!

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi lisahe lisahe

Welcome home! Hope you had good night sleep and recovering from jet lag. How were Ireland and Edwina? Being good kitties and not making difficulty with Daddy?

We are stable in terms of :barf:... thank goodness .... but chin acne is getting worse :( Vet coming on Thursday morning. I bought cute lion shaped cone from Chewy, just arrived, but both Pila and Saf acted mad :angrycat::angrycat: I don't think I have enough will power to put it on again. They danced on floor rolling, jumping, tried to get rid of it. Especially Pila, she never even tolerate normal kitty collar in her entire life ...

Oh yes, I tried on Saf too, because she now has scratches in front of ear / above eyes. Sometimes they make little scratch on that area, so I initially didn't worry much, but then she made scratch on both side and made me worried.

I decided to omit egg from their food. I was not using egg on their raw, first time added when I made cooked food (first time buying egg in decades! Spend good 5 minus in front of eggs at Whole Foods reading various icons!). I cannot think of any other changes in their food ... oh, yes another difference is dry vs. fresh liver (but both Chicken liver). Now that Saf made scratch, it could be environmental? I did deep clean their box just in case. Hmm :headscratch: other than that, I bought some daffodils last week? But that was AFTER I found chin acne. Hmm.

Now that I have bit more freezer space I am getting ready to place another Hare Today order. This time only Chicken and Turkey, maybe 1 or 2 lb of Duck. :compsurfing: I still have 4lb or so rabbit and pork ...

Well I am sure kitties are chasing you everywhere you go for next couple of days, make sure Mama will not get lost again. Happy :clover: and enjoy your time with kitties!!
After re-reading what I replied back to the other thread (somebody is concerning about card and fat % on food) I wonder ... maybe something to do with fat % change? My food must be moderate fat all the time. Adding Rawz increased fat, but maybe cooked food is lower fat? (because I don't use all liquid, it is going to be too soupy)??

Our cat sitter lady is great, she took in dangerously obese kitty from shelter, slowly but surely succeeded on weight loss using Fancy feast. I will take her word - "The only thing for sure about cats is that they remain enigmatic!!" - and take deep breath, stop worrying for now :agree:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi lisahe lisahe

We are stable in terms of .:barf:.. thank goodness .... but chin acne is getting worse :( Vet coming on Thursday morning. I bought cute lion shaped cone from Chewy, just arrived, but both Pila and Saf acted mad :angrycat::angrycat: I don't think I have enough will power to put it on again. They danced on floor rolling, jumping, tried to get rid of it. Especially Pila, she never even tolerate normal kitty collar in her entire life ...

All is well here, thank you, CHIKITTIES CHIKITTIES ! Edwina and Ireland wouldn't look at me for the first hour of so after I came back (Ireland would even look away, these cats are so funny about that!) but are now my friend again because guess who's feeding them. :lol: They apparently behaved well and didn't demand seven meals a day like my last longer trip. They are definitely being extra friendly.

Glad to hear about the :barf:but sorry about the scratching and chin acne, that's a vexing one. And oh, the collar! (I googled it, it's very cute!) When we had to put one on a previous cat, she totally rebelled, hated it. I'd be concerned about the scratching, too. Egg is probably a good one to eliminate as a suspect for the chin acne -- and you're right, who knows what might be different with the chicken liver. Good to clean the box, of course! I think you already said you don't use plastic dishes, right? Those can cause problems by (I think it was) harboring bacteria.

Funny what you say about all the kinds of eggs: we do eat eggs and I get confused these days because there are so many choices!

And there's your question about fat... yes, homemade food is often far less fatty than canned. Some of the comparisons that we feed would be absurd: homemade chicken breast food and, say, Fancy Feast. Though homemade pork chop food, which is fairly fatty, would be different. Are you wondering if a change in fat content caused Pila's barfing? In our experience with Edwina, pretty much anything can cause barfing :tongue: so who knows!?!

Back to weekend chores, I guess. I'm still pretty tired and incoherent: I only went to London, so not that far and not for very long but still tiring! My biggest regret is that I missed an exhibit at the British Library: cat illustrations for books! Oh well! It was either that or book shopping, where I did buy a cat book, The Guest Cat, which I've been meaning to buy for ages!

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All is well here, thank you, CHIKITTIES CHIKITTIES ! Edwina and Ireland wouldn't look at me for the first hour of so after I came back (Ireland would even look away, these cats are so funny about that!) but are now my friend again because guess who's feeding them. :lol: They apparently behaved well and didn't demand seven meals a day like my last longer trip. They are definitely being extra friendly.

Glad to hear about the :barf:but sorry about the scratching and chin acne, that's a vexing one. And oh, the collar! (I googled it, it's very cute!) When we had to put one on a previous cat, she totally rebelled, hated it. I'd be concerned about the scratching, too. Egg is probably a good one to eliminate as a suspect for the chin acne -- and you're right, who knows what might be different with the chicken liver. Good to clean the box, of course! I think you already said you don't use plastic dishes, right? Those can cause problems by (I think it was) harboring bacteria.

Funny what you say about all the kinds of eggs: we do eat eggs and I get confused these days because there are so many choices!

And there's your question about fat... yes, homemade food is often far less fatty than canned. Some of the comparisons that we feed would be absurd: homemade chicken breast food and, say, Fancy Feast. Though homemade pork chop food, which is fairly fatty, would be different. Are you wondering if a change in fat content caused Pila's barfing? In our experience with Edwina, pretty much anything can cause barfing :tongue: so who knows!?!

Back to weekend chores, I guess. I'm still pretty tired and incoherent: I only went to London, so not that far and not for very long but still tiring! My biggest regret is that I missed an exhibit at the British Library: cat illustrations for books! Oh well! It was either that or book shopping, where I did buy a cat book, The Guest Cat, which I've been meaning to buy for ages!
Ireland and Edwina - good kitties! :petcat: I'm sure cat Daddy took excellent care of them. I have to check out The Guest Cat, on Amazon it said "poetic and beautiful Japanese language". Our library has copy and I placed on hold, but I should try Japanese version. We are crazy about cats, nowadays we have a word Nekonomics (Neko - cats in Japanese plus Economics)!

Saf's scratch is healing up nicely, I will conclude this must be egg ... I guess :headscratch: Pila's chin is still the same, but it will probably take long time to heal anyway. Manuka honey was bad idea of me. It's honey, very sticky, and Pila hate it so ended up pulling more fur from chin :doh: ... oh well, we tried. I gave it up maybe a week ago and back to povidone-iodine cleaning. Vet tech said I can use very thin layer of Neosporin, got one tube from Walgreen (we don't have much med at home!), tried once or twice, but I am afraid they might lick it.

And ... I am trying pork or rabbit (did bad labeling job and not sure which) with Pila, it's been 3 days and no :barf: !! At this point I am inclined that it was nothing to do with protein type but ... we'll see! I have to keep myself reminding "go slow". Don't want any barf!

It'll make my life easier if I don't need to buy another egg carton but I have to think how much nutrients losing by omitting egg from cooked recipe :headscratch: I prefer raw, but kitties seems to enjoy cooked (spotless clean bowls). Maybe I'll just call it "80% complete" ... Alnutrin sample came in, but I will hold onto it until Pila's chin heals bit more.

Nowadays I get jet lag only going from Central time to Eastern :sweat:, no wonder you were tired! Hopefully you are feeling much better by now!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manuka honey was bad idea of me. It's honey, very sticky, and Pila hate it so ended up pulling more fur from chin
It sounds like you’re waxing your cat. Yeah. I don’t recommend that. :whistle:

I believe you can soak a wash cloth or cotton balls in camomile tea and apply that to irritated skin. Maybe do a quick Google to see if that’s appropriate here.