Raw Kitty Vomit, Then Doing Fine With Canned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you’re waxing your cat. Yeah. I don’t recommend that. :whistle:

I believe you can soak a wash cloth or cotton balls in camomile tea and apply that to irritated skin. Maybe do a quick Google to see if that’s appropriate here.
:thanks: Actually chamomile tea was the very first thing I've tried. I watched Mercola's "how to treat chin acne" video and got that idea putting honey :think: Maybe I did not give long enough time for chamomile tea. I will try it again - maybe rotate with povidone-iodine ...

I saw Krista is doing much better these days! Go Krista Go :cheerleader:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I switched our cats from kibble to a variation of Dr. Pierson's recipe about 2 years ago. My variation is that I don't have a grinder so I make bone meal by pressure cooking the bones, and I cook the chicken until it's just a little pink by the bone. One of our cats can't tolerate any raw, whether it's too-raw homemade or commercial freeze-dried raw I mix with the homemade for a "treat." I figure it's just one of her quirks.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched our cats from kibble to a variation of Dr. Pierson's recipe about 2 years ago. My variation is that I don't have a grinder so I make bone meal by pressure cooking the bones, and I cook the chicken until it's just a little pink by the bone. One of our cats can't tolerate any raw, whether it's too-raw homemade or commercial freeze-dried raw I mix with the homemade for a "treat." I figure it's just one of her quirks.
Hi amysuen amysuen

Thanks! We are also using Dr.P's recipe without grinder for 2 years. I panicked because everything was so smooth until last year in mid-December. I thought "raw is the best" but one of my cat vomited raw and later fine with canned - couldn't figure out why the easiest food to digest was causing issue. I am guessing that somehow, something was wrong and she was not able to handle raw at that time... we'll see!

Sorry to hear that one of your kitty cannot eat raw - even freeze dried! Well I think everybody is different, there is no one-size-fit-all, this is "the purrrfect" food for all cats! Good to know your can manage it by home cooked food :thumbsup:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista isn’t interested in any of my recipes. She wants Rad Cat. Or the duck she likes that I can’t get anymore without paying more in shipping than I do in meat. I want to get a grinder so I won’t be limited in my recipes. But I also don’t know if that will help any or if she’ll turn her nose up at those too.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Krista isn’t interested in any of my recipes. She wants Rad Cat. Or the duck she likes that I can’t get anymore without paying more in shipping than I do in meat. I want to get a grinder so I won’t be limited in my recipes. But I also don’t know if that will help any or if she’ll turn her nose up at those too.
Hmm I wish I have good suggestion, but I think you tried everything to mimic Radcat recipe ... :headscratch: well hopefully Krista will change her mind and decide to appreciate all the effort Daddy is making for her :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it have to be that specific duck? I get freeze dried raw duck at the pet store and mix it with my homemade for a treat. Maybe that would appeal to Krista? And if it does, you can gradually decrease the duck and increase your homemade.

Also, my food is cooked and our kitties all like it better when I warm it up. I don't know if it's safe to warm raw food, but if it is you could try that too.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her insurance is finally picking up some bills for the big hospital stay earlier this year. I will use some of that to buy a grinder. My thoughts are that I haven't used fresh turkey liver or turkey heart. It's either been beef liver or freeze-dried turkey liver and heart. So that's one thing that might make a huge difference. I'm thinking the fresh organs will be stinkier and thus more appealing. As for the duck, I got these boneless patties from Fossil Farms. Actually, I got them from the local raw feeders coop. They got them from Fossil Farms. For me to to get those same patties from Fossil Farms directly would cost me $99 on shipping for $75 worth of duck. Or put another way, I can buy a Tasin grinder for that price and use duck meat from the local supermarket. Or I can go back to the coop and get their duck breasts and duck organs. And while I'm there, I can ask them to order those patties again. But I haven't been back in awhile because she's shown little interest in raw since we ran out of Rad Cat and FF duck. Actually, she does like the freeze-dried Stella and Chewy's and freeze-dried Primal but only if they are dry. So for now, I let her have a nugget powdered up as a topper on her food. Maybe over time, I can get her used to the idea of rehydrated raw.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her insurance is finally picking up some bills for the big hospital stay earlier this year. I will use some of that to buy a grinder. My thoughts are that I haven't used fresh turkey liver or turkey heart. It's either been beef liver or freeze-dried turkey liver and heart. So that's one thing that might make a huge difference. I'm thinking the fresh organs will be stinkier and thus more appealing. As for the duck, I got these boneless patties from Fossil Farms. Actually, I got them from the local raw feeders coop. They got them from Fossil Farms. For me to to get those same patties from Fossil Farms directly would cost me $99 on shipping for $75 worth of duck. Or put another way, I can buy a Tasin grinder for that price and use duck meat from the local supermarket. Or I can go back to the coop and get their duck breasts and duck organs. And while I'm there, I can ask them to order those patties again. But I haven't been back in awhile because she's shown little interest in raw since we ran out of Rad Cat and FF duck. Actually, she does like the freeze-dried Stella and Chewy's and freeze-dried Primal but only if they are dry. So for now, I let her have a nugget powdered up as a topper on her food. Maybe over time, I can get her used to the idea of rehydrated raw.
Good to hear that insurance paying hospital :nurse: bills! It must be ... a lot.

It's funny Krista likes Turkey Raws over Duck, right? But she prefer raw Duck? Hopefully raw liver/heart is the key. I am at opposite situation right now, been using fresh chicken liver and just trying freeze dried. To me, freeze dried smell more, but who knows!

Mine are not keen on SC nor Primal either. Eat SC as dried format, as snack, but :headshake: to Primal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping the Tasin will let us land on a homemade recipe she likes before I break into the very last Rad Cat tub for her birthday. Because I would hate to bring back the Rad Cat only to take it away again once it runs out. But if she has an alternative she likes as well, then it doesn't seem so mean. It can be the treat that it is meant to be.

And then I'm hoping she eats her money's worth out of the Tasin to justify an upgrade to the Weston. Because I heard the Tasin on a YouTube and I'm already bothered by how loud it is.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
  • Pila's been back on raw Rabbit or Pork on 5 days, so far doing great :bliss:
  • Vet came today
    • Chin acne not too bad, no need to take oral antibiotics
    • Keep using diluted Povidone-iodine and very thin layer of Neosporin
      • (I might do chamomile tea and coconut oil ... )
    • Blood taken, result will be back next week
    • Overall both look good
    • I am over-Furminating Pila's back :doh: switch to soft brush
    • Saf could use teeth brushing
      • (chicken neck? She was able to eat vs. Pila was not)
I think we're on good track now - :thanks: everyone for great advice and :grouphug: !!

Here is "Saf-in-the-bag" getting ready for blood draw
upload_2019-3-21_13-24-27.png